Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Also, while I was looking through these crowd numbers I noticed that our crowds usually have a big jump on the first home game after we go four or five games without a loss. We seem to always lose that game and crowds dip right back down. These are the sorts of games we must be winning if we're going to retain the casual supporters intrest and to create new members.

• Like 1

we really need to crack that 10,000 mark and without the bring a mate for free deal...

Agreed. But I can imagine that when we would have a real shot at doing it "gimmick free", that is, when Sydney, Newcastle or WSW come to AAMI, that will most likely be the time when the club will offer, member discount or promotional tickets. Shame really, but I can understand the reasoning.

I would imagine we're on target due to circumstance. It took a few rounds to get going last season. This season we started with a win in Melb and some very healthy press, all good things. How many of your mates have signed up this year, we should all be trying to introduce friends to the club.

I suspect memberships are lower than what we were hoping for at this stage because of the negative pre-season outlook. For whatever reason, we've been in everyones bottom two or three in season predictions and there was very little excitement about the new season.

But Friday night was great. In fact we had a great couple of days. People might dismiss it, but the pictures and the publicity that came from the Usain Bolt visit were really good and the timing was perfect. And after starting the season with a derby win in front of a big crowd, I think the whole mood of the club and the supporters has changed.

The other good thing about Friday, I reckon there was more red and white around the stadium than before at Etihad. I spent some of the game on level 3 and there were more Heart fans there than I was expecting. And the whole away section sold out, which I dont think it has before. And there's always heaps of neutrals who come to the derbies. Every time we out perform Victory, we give them reason to start following us.

The important thing now is to sustain the momentum and keep picking up wins. It's a lot easier to lose the momentum and the support that goes with it than it is to get it going in the first place.

We really should be hitting 9k on sunday as a minimum imo.

These Sunday games are generally not well attended and your asking for a figure which is more than our highest attended non-derby game last season?

I dont think so, but I'd say we could get at least 7.5k.

These Sunday games are generally not well attended and your asking for a figure which is more than our highest attended non-derby game last season?

I dont think so, but I'd say we could get at least 7.5k.

I'd see 7.5k for this particular fixture as a failure.

Most of the "neutrals" at work are leaning towards the Heart. The question is how to get them interested in coming to games (yes, winning helps) and then signing up as members?

its hard enough getting ppl who are "followers" of the team to turn up let alone neutrals. There are around 12 ppl in my soccer team (seniors and reserves) who say they follow heart, I am the only one who turns up regularly and there are another 2 who turn up to approximately 50% of the games. The rest probably havent turned up to more than 5 games...

• Like 1

Most of the "neutrals" at work are leaning towards the Heart. The question is how to get them interested in coming to games (yes, winning helps) and then signing up as members?

Winning doesn't just help, winning is what will not only get them coming, but keep them coming. Rusted on supporters like most of us will go and watch anyway, but for most others, they need to feel confident of seeing a winning performance often enough so that they attend enough matches to become 'rusted on'.

Most fans of clubs don't go to games.

What are the average AFL attendances, club by club?

Collingwood is probably the highest, and it boasts around 1,000,000 fans (if I remember correctly). That may or may not be true, but look at those numbers, and compare them to the attendance as a percentage.

I think the attendances reflect exactly where the club is at in terms of support.

Most people I know that are only casual sports fans - who would probably go to a game or two of AFL each year, still ask who the Heart is when I tell them.

We live in a bubble we have created - but it is easy to forget that most people don't care about soccer, at least enough to shell out time and money an effort to go to a game. Yet.

• Like 1

Most fans of clubs don't go to games.

Correction: Most so-called fans...

Otherwise your post is spot on. Many of the people I know have never heard of AAMI Park, many won't use their credit card on-line to buy any sort of ticket, and many never use public transport. They don't watch Fox Sports or promotional videos, nor do they understand what MBH:WPX might mean. For all they know, Del Piero might be a fashion label rather than a footballer. We might call them dinosaurs, but they never enter the bubble that you refer to (nice concept BTW).

The game and the clubs will grow only as we enter people's consciousness, and IMO this will take time rather than money. Heart is on the right track.

• Like 1

i made a post in some thred earlier about like marquee players n shit getting crowds...

in all honesty it help..

but my main point was winning games. IMO this sunday is a huge day for the club, its going to be great weather, were coming off a fantastic result, and wellington have lost a few players.

not only that, those retards across the tasmin are coming off a decent 2-0 win themselfs.

if we are to get strong numbers and go at least better than last year, we should be setting a goal of at least 8+

if we could get it on a wednesday afternoon against Adelaide last year coming off a few good wins, there is no doubt we can achive this.

anyway the effort last friday was amazing, lets do it again this week and show not only wellington but Melbourne as a huge football community that we are the team to follow this season!

anyway, i taped the derby, im gunna watch it and pull my dick now...l8z

The frustrating part of the last few seasons is our home record has been quite poor which doesn't help.

Also last season we had that good run of mostly away games, had a good crowd turn up at the next home game against Adelaide and got smashed..

After last week and the good press we have had, this is a must win to keep building..

Having the odd 9 or 10k game and nothing lower than 6k would be acceptable this season in my opinion.

Edited by kontra.11

• jw1739 unpinned this topic