Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

6 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

In the Fan Representative forum Dylan wrote "Was listening to the fox sports podcast. Apparently we have the lowest crowds in the league now. Which makes sense. "

They are pretty correct.  We have had the lowest attendance in each of our last two home games.

Average attendance this year is 7,842 - just better than Perth with 7,616.  This compares with CCM 8,188 Wellington 8,671 and Newcastle 11,642 with all other teams having greater averages.  

The most telling statistic is that this is the worst average attendance in our Heart/City history by far.

14/15 season  10,374

13/14 season 9,799

12/13 season 8,560

12/11 season 9,082

11/10 season 8,312

Other than our first home game by a very slender margin, none of our attendances this year have surpassed these averages. Round 3 - 8,408, round 4 - 7,209 and round 6 - 7,910

Talk about going backwards. If CFG are interested in metrics these should make them stand up.

So when are they going to do something about it - like get a coach who can structure a competitive side and regain some interest in this bloody awful club????

(Reference Ultimate a-league)

We need to be extremely careful when comparing attendances from season to season. My spreadsheet looks at home derby attendances separately from "ordinary" home-and-away matches, because I feel that they are a special case and also because sometimes there are two of them, and sometimes one.

For the "ordinary" matches (i.e. non-Derby matches played at AAMI Park):
2010-11: 5,828;
2011-12: 6,472;
2012-13: 7,075;
2013-14: 7,255;
2014-15: 9,074; (and 8,009 excluding the two David Villa matches);
2015/16: 7,842; (3 matches so far).

These average attendances tell quite a different story from those quoted above.

But all of this is simply fails to look at the elephant in the room. Along with Newcastle we are dead last on the "cumulative league table" that I have compiled. We have rarely been entertaining at home. Too many times in the "crunch" match when we really need to win to maintain momentum we have performed miserably. Our recruitment has been poor, particularly our visa players. We seem unable to manage injuries and consequently almost never can field our best team. Our coach is the worst-performing senior (number of games) A-League coach. Since the takeover many good off-the-field things have been done, but on the field we have become largely irrelevant in the Melbourne context, and now it seems in the league as a whole. Our CEO promised that we would not be a "Mini-Manchester" but that is exactly what we have become.

I do wish that the media would focus on the root causes of what has happened rather than trailing indicators.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We need to be extremely careful when comparing attendances from season to season. My spreadsheet looks at home derby attendances separately from "ordinary" home-and-away matches, because I feel that they are a special case and also because sometimes there are two of them, and sometimes one.

For the "ordinary" matches:
2010-11: 5,828;
2011-12: 6,472;
2012-13: 7,075;
2013-14: 7,255;
2014-15: 9,074; (and 8,009 excluding the two David Villa matches);
2015/16: 7,842; (3 matches so far).

These average attendances tell quite a different story from those quoted above.

But all of this is simply fails to look at the elephant in the room. Along with Newcastle we are dead last on the "cumulative league table" that I have compiled. We have rarely been entertaining at home. Too many times in the "crunch" match when we really need to win to maintain momentum we have performed miserably. Our recruitment has been poor, particularly our visa players. We seem unable to manage injuries and consequently almost never can field our best team. Our coach is the worst-performing senior (number of games) A-League coach. Since the takeover many good off-the-field things have been done, but on the field we have become largely irrelevant in the Melbourne context, and now it seems in the league as a whole. Our CEO promised that we would not be a "Mini-Manchester" but that is exactly what we have become.

I do wish that the media would focus on the root causes of what has happened rather than trailing indicators.

How are we a mini-Manchester barring the colour and name change?

13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

The two most identifiable things for a club are their name and colours. What else really is there? Maybe playing style or club chants?
Few fans would be able to detect a club's playing style and even if people could I don't think there would be objects for cloning Man City's playing style. 

26 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

You're not serious are you Tony?

Owners Manchester City, name, colours and dispute with Sydney over same, the "brand image", CFA Melbourne, website awash with sky blue, City Voice, Cityzens, prizes to NewYork and Manchester, staff brought from roles in Manchester...

• Like 2

running some simple maths, this years two home derbies should add something like one and a half thousand each to our overall home match average attendance for the season (difference between typical match and near-sellout derby divided over the season); or about a 3000ish boost for two derbies.....

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

You're not serious are you Tony?

Owners Manchester City, name, colours and dispute with Sydney over same, the "brand image", CFA Melbourne, website awash with sky blue, City Voice, Cityzens, prizes to NewYork and Manchester, staff brought from roles in Manchester...

Well I said bar the colours and the name change. Just about everything that you have mentioned pretty much relates to the name change and colours. I'd rather win a trip to Manchester or New York then Bangladesh or something.

3 hours ago, ecguymer said:

running some simple maths, this years two home derbies should add something like one and a half thousand each to our overall home match average attendance for the season (difference between typical match and near-sellout derby divided over the season); or about a 3000ish boost for two derbies.....

Total over 62 non-Derby matches at AAMI Park: 444,073. Average: 7,162

Total over 8 Derby matches at AAMI Park: 206,756. Average: 25,845

Total over 70 A-League matches at AAMI Park: 650,829. Average: 9,298.

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Shocking.

Not really. After 2 of the worst ever home losses (imo) in the last 2 home matches 6k is probably a generous result. 

This is what happens when you play shit continually. 

Now tonights result against and even shiiter team may send some false hopes but we are going to experience 6k to 8k for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not really. After 2 of the worst ever home losses (imo) in the last 2 home matches 6k is probably a generous result. 

This is what happens when you play shit continually. 

Now tonights result against and even shiiter team may send some false hopes but we are going to experience 6k to 8k for the rest of the season. 

This. I was surprised to see so many people actually especially as there was a 60,000 person rally in the CBD.

I know I can't give away free MCFC tickets to any of my friends.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but is it possible to upgrade a child membership reserved seat to an adult ticket for any particular match?  Wanting to bring along a mate to the derby, as my kids are too young for the evening games ... 

Is your friend baby faced?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Disappointing turn out. Given that it was 3rd vs 4th and that City were coming in after some strong performances and MV are a strong unit.

Really? It was over 40 just a few hours before kick off and seemed like it'd be 38 at Ko. Given that I thought the turn out was pretty good, especially as our opponents would have been deeply pessimistic about their chances.

The other interesting thing is the number of city Supporters around the ground seemed to outnumber tards, which must be the first time ever this has happened. I take this to mean there are a lot of latent supporters there who have not been regular attenders for whatever reason, but came out of the woodwork for our biggest home game of the season so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Really? It was over 40 just a few hours before kick off and seemed like it'd be 38 at Ko. Given that I thought the turn out was pretty good, especially as our opponents would have been deeply pessimistic about their chances.

The other interesting thing is the number of city Supporters around the ground seemed to outnumber tards, which must be the first time ever this has happened. I take this to mean there are a lot of latent supporters there who have not been regular attenders for whatever reason, but came out of the woodwork for our biggest home game of the season so far.

I know it was hot! But I can't seem to get the feeling that we are always making excuses, if its not this then it is something else. And I don't think that hot weather bothers cricket games. I hope that the weather is kinder for the next derby.

I also did notice that there appeared to be more City supporters around the ground.

I don't think it's an excuse. It's not just the temperature at the ground, it's the issue of getting there and home again on public transport for many people. That can be quite intimidating for certain groups of people.

Overall, IMO it's an issue of how the club manages its STHs and what options are open to them to release seats that are nominally reserved for STHs.

The highest home derby attendance is actually 26,539 (Christmas Derby 2011), well short of the ground's nominal capacity.

You're delusional if you think the heat didn't play a massive factor. I was walking down Swan St about 5pm and that's the hottest I remember since black Saturday. When you consider this is around the time most families in the 'burbs are getting ready to head in its no surprise that the game wasn't a sell out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

40 at my place (well outside) when I left for the match. 3 members of my family pulled the pin due to the heat to stay inside with the aircon. Hard to blame them.

im sure the club sold/allocated a lot more tickets than the attendance.

2 of my group also late withdrawals. 23k or 28k or 31k doesn't really matter a great deal for me it's more city to tard ratio. Last few Christmas derbies have been more even and I actually felt Saturday was more city than tard. It's hard to accurately tell but that was what I saw from where I was. 

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

2 of my group also late withdrawals. 23k or 28k or 31k doesn't really matter a great deal for me it's more city to tard ratio. Last few Christmas derbies have been more even and I actually felt Saturday was more city than tard. It's hard to accurately tell but that was what I saw from where I was.

Pretty sure we changed the way we sold the tickets to the derby this year to allow better access to City fans, and for it to be much harder for mong fans to get tickets. Probably affected the sales (only slightly) but certainly made for a more pro-City crowd.

Bout time we started dicking them a bit for all the shit they make us go through at Etihad.

• Like 4

• jw1739 unpinned this topic