Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

That's how I felt, so really there is a fair bit of latent support and these people are pretty much the derby specials. Its now up to club to bring these people in a weekly (fortnightly) basis. If we continue to play with passion and flair more often than not they will come.

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That's how I felt, so really there is a fair bit of latent support and these people are pretty much the derby specials. Its now up to club to bring these people in a weekly (fortnightly) basis. If we continue to play with passion and flair more often than not they will come.

My guess is that quite a few have been season ticket holders previously, but have dropped off because of our lack of success and possibly the changes from Heart as well. They will remain City supporters, but the challenge for the club is just as you say - entice them back into the fold. The club is going to have to work harder for this to occur - hype won't do it.

It was a very pro-City crowd. I would think ~60% which is about 15,000. Well up on the ~7k we have been getting this year.
Crowd support for us peaks at derby time because many Heart/City 'fans' are mainly Victory 'haters', than City 'fans'. People support us because we a Victory's rivals. Which is as close to 'club identity' as we have. But that identity is no way to really grow a club though and does not not translate to support against non-Victory teams.

With our current form it will be interesting to see crowds post-derby to see if fans stick around.

• Like 1

I think that we had around half the area of the lower level but I saw almost no City supporters on the 2 upper levels. This will change in time but it requires sustained success and it will need to be sustained for several seasons I think in order to undo the bawdily created by 5 seasons of mediocrity and constant disappointment. people won't quickly forget and will need some convincing. The next 3 games are crucial against top 4 sides.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Pretty sure we changed the way we sold the tickets to the derby this year to allow better access to City fans, and for it to be much harder for mong fans to get tickets. Probably affected the sales (only slightly) but certainly made for a more pro-City crowd.

Bout time we started dicking them a bit for all the shit they make us go through at Etihad.

I found the system even worse that usual this time. We bought tickets the day that they went on sale and all the stupid ticketing system would sell us were tickets high up underneath the scoreboard at the melburnians end. We had no option to upgrade to active area online. We complained to membership at the ground and they kindly got us some active area tickets. We had a look at the original seats at half time, the area was filled with visitors families..

Given that the franchise knows who has reserved Cat seats, why doesn't it reserve or purchase the remaining seats in that bay and allow GA ticket holders to allocate themselves the remaining seats? I'd rather any unallocated seats be empty than have visitor supporters in that bay

24 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I found the system even worse that usual this time. We bought tickets the day that they went on sale and all the stupid ticketing system would sell us were tickets high up underneath the scoreboard at the melburnians end. We had no option to upgrade to active area online. We complained to membership at the ground and they kindly got us some active area tickets. We had a look at the original seats at half time, the area was filled with visitors families..

Given that the franchise knows who has reserved Cat seats, why doesn't it reserve or purchase the remaining seats in that bay and allow GA ticket holders to allocate themselves the remaining seats? I'd rather any unallocated seats be empty than have visitor supporters in that bay

Couldn't agree more Bela. What you propose is so logical. However, I suspect that the problem is that FFA has given the ticketing "rights" to Ticketek and that individual clubs are frozen out of any participation.

I imagine they set aside the remaining active seats in the hope of people buying memberships, hence when they weren't sold by Friday they were released to the active members as part of a 'bring a friend' email. The system this year was better for members, those GA members from last year that weren't stupid and realised that a 'premium C' membership was just a GA ticket that you didn't need to reserve seat for the derby bought them accordingly. As we saw at the Perth game, theres nothing stopping anyone with a reserved seat from moving to GA if they want to whilst our attendances are sub 13,000.

City Members had the chance to buy tickets for their friends before Victory has access to them so those unallocated Premium C were given every chance to be filled by City supporters, and for the most part were. Our 'empty' areas were a combination of active/prem C members that didn't turn up, and the active supporters cramming into the middle bay as usually happens.

It basically comes down to looking after members v looking after non-members, you cant have it both ways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to notice more and more Manchester City shirts at each match. It's making me feel uneasy.

On another note, how much longer do we think we'll start seeing the bottom deck full and the top deck open? That's of course meaning the Club at the point will be loaded full of bandwagoning flogs. Much like all those that jumped on board when we signed that hack, David Villa, then pissed off once he did.

3 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

I'm starting to notice more and more Manchester City shirts at each match. It's making me feel uneasy.

On another note, how much longer do we think we'll start seeing the bottom deck full and the top deck open? That's of course meaning the Club at the point will be loaded full of bandwagoning flogs. Much like all those that jumped on board when we signed that hack, David Villa, then pissed off once he did.

Why would you feel uneasy seeing Man City shirts?

6 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

Reckon we can crack our home attendance record this season at some point?

Personally, i think we can, but it all depends how the transfer season pans out i reckon.

I hope that I'm wrong but I think that we've missed the boat on this. Most uncommitted A League supporters have long ago decided to follow the successful team rather than Heart/City and our brand really has become marketing poison. The Villa loan sparked some brief interest but what felt like a betrayal along with usual poor and flaky performances last season drove most of those away. Our season ticket numbers still haven't recovered despite increased success. Things will only change if we have continuing sustained success on the pitch over multiple seasons to rebuild the brand reputation as well as bringing in headline grabbing marquees and guest players. The two go hand in hand. Most importantly though we've finally replaced belief with passion - its a right brain appeal that will bring people to the game, not the left brain 'believe'.

Even then I doubt that we'll surpass visitor numbers.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I hope that I'm wrong but I think that we've missed the boat on this. Most uncommitted A League supporters have long ago decided to follow the successful team rather than Heart/City and our brand really has become marketing poison. The Villa loan sparked some brief interest but what felt like a betrayal along with usual poor and flaky performances last season drove most of those away. Our season ticket numbers still haven't recovered despite increased success. Things will only change if we have continuing sustained success on the pitch over multiple seasons to rebuild the brand reputation as well as bringing in headline grabbing marquees and guest players. The two go hand in hand. Most importantly though we've finally replaced belief with passion - its a right brain appeal that will bring people to the game, not the left brain 'believe'.

Even then I doubt that we'll surpass visitor numbers.

Bela, they're not going to recover at this stage of the season - it's not sensible to buy a season ticket now. And these "three-match" offers are a bit of a gimmick - why not be offering a pro-rata season ticket for all the remaining home matches?

As for casuals going on-line or rocking up on match day to buy a ticket, just based on the comments on here about the difficulties of getting what they want isn't helping attendances at all.

I have always held that we haven't "made it" until we get over 10,000 members and regularly over 10,000 to games.  We are nearly there and a combination of continued good performances on the ground, a recognisable name and all round entertainment on the day will achieve this.  For us last night WAS great entertainment.  We started with a picnic in Gosch's (which is beginning to buzz), then into the ground where the game was great, the atmosphere and noise was fabulous - and we won.

Bela - Don't like the idea of free entry however what we should target is cheap entertainment for children.  Make it an attractor for families, help build the family friendly flavour of City and start to build numbers for next year. It seems to work for that funny game BBL.

32 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

I have always held that we haven't "made it" until we get over 10,000 members and regularly over 10,000 to games.  We are nearly there and a combination of continued good performances on the ground, a recognisable name and all round entertainment on the day will achieve this.  For us last night WAS great entertainment.  We started with a picnic in Gosch's (which is beginning to buzz), then into the ground where the game was great, the atmosphere and noise was fabulous - and we won.

Bela - Don't like the idea of free entry however what we should target is cheap entertainment for children.  Make it an attractor for families, help build the family friendly flavour of City and start to build numbers for next year. It seems to work for that funny game BBL.

Surely if we're going to define 'making it' the best yardstick is getting enough people to open the top tier at AAMI

23 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Prices will continue to be an issue while BBL is so cheap in comparison. I though CFG would've made our ticket prices slightly lower to entice more people as regulars then slowly increase the price as our numbers built over the years. 

Came in on the train as usual. Plenty of people going to see City, a lot more going to the "cricket."

Going to see City: middle-aged and elderly husbands and wives, 30-s men with one or two children in tow, some 3-4 person families, groups of 2-3 youngish males perhaps friends or work colleagues. Going to see the "cricket": very large extended family groups of 8-10 people.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Came in on the train as usual. Plenty of people going to see City, a lot more going to the "cricket."

Going to see City: middle-aged and elderly husbands and wives, 30-s men with one or two children in tow, some 3-4 person families, groups of 2-3 youngish males perhaps friends or work colleagues. Going to see the "cricket": very large extended family groups of 8-10 people.

They've been told to be scared of us Sokkah hooligan terrorists

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Family ticket to BBL $42.50 (2 adults, 2 kids) extra kids $5ea

Family ticket to Melb City game $68.31 extra kids $7.65ea

GA tickets should be $20ea, Kids $5ea, Family $45

Might I suggest that you post that to City Voice? The message will get to the club that way, and at least you will get some sort of reply.

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic