Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

17 minutes ago, Embee said:

The only people I know that tell me our team is a 'Mini-Manchester City' are Tard fans to be honest and I personally couldn't give a fuck what they think.

Even if we do/did wear the same strip I don't really see how it makes us a mini version of them anyway tbh. I couldn't give a flying fuck what colours we wear; the thing that makes the club to me are OUR players, OUR fans and OUR AAMI Park. Manchester ain't got none of that.

10 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Geographically. Every team is geographically distinct from every other team, except for City and Victory. That's the identity we're looking for

So part of our identity is that we're not geographically distinct then. It might not be something you like,  but sharing a city with another team is still a part of our identity. 

Too many people banging on about identity dont know what the word even means. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bt50 said:

Even if we do/did wear the same strip I don't really see how it makes us a mini version of them anyway tbh. I couldn't give a flying fuck what colours we wear; the thing that makes the club to me are OUR players, OUR fans and OUR AAMI Park. Manchester ain't got none of that.

Errrrr... You are kidding right.....

manchester hasn't got our players aami park and our fans

problem is we got their owners, playing strip, tactical and administrative affiliation shit we even go to them in off season. 

Yes not mini city

fuking maxi city dead set clone with a shit coach and playing group hampered by salary cap

16 hours ago, Silverback said:

Re the Identity discussion, and I don't travel so I don't know, hence the question - when we talk identity, if the only thing any a-league club has is geography....is this also true aorund the world, what distinguishes clubs in Europe that are based in the same city? e.g. Manchester United v Manchester City - 2 clubs, 1 city, what's their geographical distinction or their 'identity'? same with Inter Milan and AC Milan? Athletico Madrid and Real Madrid? the list goes on and I'm sure more knowledgable people than me could list more....but what makes a kid go for Man U v Man City, AC Milan v Inter Milan etc etc

AC Milan used to draw more fans from the working class, while Inter were more upper middle class.  I've heard the line's a bit more blurred now.

Kids are usually drawn to one or more of the following: who their parents/friends support, what colour/nickname the team has, how successful the club is when they first become interested in the game.

Last night's attendance of 11,454 was the fourth highest ever non-derby attendance, the top three being those influenced by the appearances of Del Piero and David Villa.

The average for the season (12 non-derby matches) was 8,779. The two home derbies averaged 24,655.

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Last night shows the potential for us to get 12k+ to games. Of course we fuck it up though. Back to the grind. 

One thing the club simply must address is the issue of members not turning up. The northern end (GA) was actually sold out last night, and some people wanting GA tickets at the gate could not get them. Yet there were plenty of empty green seats there.

I also noted, looking across to the eastern side, many more people sitting in Level 2 in the corporate areas.

After six years there's still one hell of a lot of work to do both on and off the field.

Last night was another reminder that there's a strong potential supporter base out there for this club. If the club gets around 12k or more non-derby crowds, then that's a solid supporter base that's only really bettered by WSW and victory (and with this club growing by 1,000 supporters every season or two, if we had those numbers then it wouldn't be long before the 1st level of AAMI was packed every game and the top level had to be opened every game). 

So the interest is there. It has always been there: Melbourne Heart got 11k to its first ever home game at AAMI as well. 

But then as now the club's been fucking things up and making it an undesirable club for many to support. IMO these potential supporters just want there to be "light at the end of the tunnel"--that is the club to be a real chance to win silverware every season or two, and then to actually win silverware every now and again. But instead this club comes across as allergic to success, and the biggest underachievers in the A-League.

I really do believe that success is the only thing preventing Melbourne City from growing into one of Australia's best football clubs with strong crowds, and maybe one of the best clubs in Asia. But tragically this season has been a double-whammy with the club A) failing to be successful (first the FFA Cup, now the Premiership, and probably the Championship) and B.) the club re-affirming its pathetic loser underachiever reputation, that promises prospective supporters more disappointment than enjoyment to support, and hence keeps many supporters away. Think about it this way: if you were told how this club's first six seasons would pan out, would you have become a supporter? 

It's been 26 months since CFG took over. CFG need to pull the finger out and make some power moves to set this club up for success, and do so ASAP.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

I think 11k is about par for a potential premiership decider in the last round, talk of opening the top tiers is fairy land stuff, we seem to be doing our absolute best at turning away potential fans by dishing up rubbish when it really counts, wasn't last night kids free entry as well? It could have been a special night for the club, instead it did about as much damage as the villa fiasco.

Murf they need to make better decisions in regards to key personnel. They have shown that once they make a decision they don't like to pay a penalty to fix it (this continuing with Koren and not replacing him even though it was obvious he was now only NPL standard). The other one is JVS. Key appointment made for 3 years and immediately looked questionable as his team started a losing streak.

This approach of making colossal fuck ups but refusing to admit it and just waiting it out is not helpful for the development of Melchester City

51 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Murf they need to make better decisions in regards to key personnel. They have shown that once they make a decision they don't like to pay a penalty to fix it (this continuing with Koren and not replacing him even though it was obvious he was now only NPL standard). The other one is JVS. Key appointment made for 3 years and immediately looked questionable as his team started a losing streak.

This approach of making colossal fuck ups but refusing to admit it and just waiting it out is not helpful for the development of Melchester City

Fully agree, and I make the same point in another thread about the 2 marquee players and the 5 Visa players.

Man City/CFG, and now Melbourne City, clearly have a very centralised and closed decision-making system, which can be fine if things are going well, but I fully agree it's disaster when things are going wrong. And then the club/CFG just look arrogant and disinterested in their supporters and their concerns when things hit the fan (like with the Villa fiasco), which makes problems all the worse.

So hopefully they finally acknowledge the overwhelming information about JVS, and the mistake it was to re-sign him (and for 3 seasons), and appoint a new coach with a proven track record of success.

17 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Went to it... didn't stay long, quite a few people, Gameiro was made to apologise on behalf of the players if they didn't show up. 

Well they didn't show up for the game, why should they show up for the fans?

11 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Nobody really payed him any attention besides those in the line for signatures 

All lining up to ask him to autograph his resignation letter probably

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Was hardly anyone in my bay that bought their membership seat, plenty of randoms, here's hoping to them stick around next season

If they were anything like myself, they usually sit in the north end, but the Ticketek website was shite and I ended up shilling for the better seat.  I think that explains why the north end was so empty.

11 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

north end was woeful but prem a,b and south end apart from the side active bays looked chockers

I'm just puzzled by the formal attendance figure. I checked the Ticketek site several times during the day to see the availability of a single seat in all the various categories. For example in my own bay (Premium A) by early afternoon there were just a handful of isolated seats left. Yet come the game and there were several groups of seats unoccupied - presumably bought by people who subsequently didn't turn up. I find that hard to believe at $65 per seat?

Together the two wings on Level 1 plus the South End total 15,000 seats, and even with the gaps that were there I still thought the attendance would have been higher than the official figure.

My interpretation of what I saw on Ticketek is that most of seats at the Northern End - all those except about the first 10 rows - were not released for on-line purchase, and two bays in the N-E corner were not released in their entirety.

Blanking out whole bays doesn't look like a good policy - hardly encouraging people to go is it?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm just puzzled by the formal attendance figure. I checked the Ticketek site several times during the day to see the availability of a single seat in all the various categories. For example in my own bay (Premium A) by early afternoon there were just a handful of isolated seats left. Yet come the game and there were several groups of seats unoccupied - presumably bought by people who subsequently didn't turn up. I find that hard to believe at $65 per seat?

Together the two wings on Level 1 plus the South End total 15,000 seats, and even with the gaps that were there I still thought the attendance would have been higher than the official figure.

My interpretation of what I saw on Ticketek is that most of seats at the Northern End - all those except about the first 10 rows - were not released for on-line purchase, and two bays in the N-E corner were not released in their entirety.

Blanking out whole bays doesn't look like a good policy - hardly encouraging people to go is it?

Agree with this. I would also add that the whole booking and available seats were farcical and unprofessional. Who was responsible? was it ticketek? was it the FFA? or was it the club? Regardless it is the club that is left looking foolish and disorganized, and if they are not responsible they ought to be lodging formal complaints.

• Like 2

I finally made it on here.  Been attending the games since the first season of Heart, and (now work permits) a member for three years.

I find the Ticketek system utterly baffling and bloody useless to be honest. 

I got my son and I member allocations seats (not our reserved seats, we decided on a change)  and then hours later last Monday a week ago bought three more tickets for friends that wanted to attend... their three seats were better than our two!

I was disappointed in the turnout last night, but it can only grow.  It's far better than the Heart years, and it needs to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Agree with this. I would also add that the whole booking and available seats were farcical and unprofessional. Who was responsible? was it ticketek? was it the FFA? or was it the club? Regardless it is the club that is left looking foolish and disorganized, and if they are not responsible they ought to be lodging formal complaints.

AFAIK the organization of all finals matches is done by FFA. So ticketing issues lie with FFA/Ticketek.

Another thing I noticed. Our seats are the first row below a corporate box on the Western Wing. All season this box has been occupied with - I'll guess - 10-20 people. Last night it was all closed up and the company sign above the box had been removed. So I presume that corporate boxes are only a regular season thing, and do not include finals matches. So perhaps another reason I fell a long way short on my crowd prediction was because a number of corporates were not eligible to attend?

Also, the signs on the top tier on the Eastern Wing saying "The Home of Melbourne City" were not there.

So clearly an FFA issue, not the club.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic