Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And the question is, which of these would we have back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity?  Not out of sentiment but because they would improve the squad?  And Mooy is a given.  I'd certainly look at Velaphi and Behich. Who else?

If Good was fit, yes.

Wilkinson.

Id take that Spanish bloke who was here for 5 minutes - what was his name again?

Marrone

Goodwin

will do for starters.

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

And the question is, which of these would we have back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity?  Not out of sentiment but because they would improve the squad?  And Mooy is a given.  I'd certainly look at Velaphi and Behich. Who else?

Definitely Craig Goodwin and Alex Wilkinson 

On football you would take mauk back as well 

1 minute ago, InMyHeart said:

They were probably more appealing than Melbourne Heart back in those days

True - Tinkler was mounting his bid to take over the world back then... in a few months he had brought the Knights, Wayne Bennett, and then he brought The Jets and not too mention a thousand Yearlings and an Immense Training Facility.

He then changed their colours to be inline with the Knights/NSL Kits and dramatically lowered their Membership Prices which saw a fair few new Members sign up. Mind you how nobody (In Particular Jets fans who sang his praises) could not see how this Bogan was not going end up bankrupt in a couple of years is beyond me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InMyHeart said:

They were probably more appealing than Melbourne Heart back in those days

IIRC the assistant coach to our youth team in those days had moved to Newcastle to work under Van Egmond so I think there were a few things behind the scenes that lead to Goodwin leaving.

Plus Goodwin would have had first hand experience of playing under JA in the youth team 😟

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

IIRC the assistant coach to our youth team in those days had moved to Newcastle to work under Van Egmond so I think there were a few things behind the scenes that lead to Goodwin leaving.

Plus Goodwin would have had first hand experience of playing under JA in the youth team 😟

I remember at the time PPL say this was a fair enough reason and good luck to me... but to me it still pissed me off we had lost someone who could go to be a A-League stalwart. 

Also he didn't make the cut at Adelaide for their NYL and so he persuaded to come over here by Pappas and play for Oakleigh and then our NYL side, he was actually still a KFC employee when he played for us in a Derby win. I guess I was hoping he showed loyalty to the club rather than his mentor.

But you're right he might well have stayed if we had appointed the right cheaper lesser known man than JA.

2 hours ago, jeffplz said:

LOL, Manisa managed to convert one of their Congolese internationals to Islam. Harun Ibn-Novillo coming soon

Jokes on them, they thought he was from the Republic of Congo and therefore a Christian, but he is actually from the Democratic Republic of Congo and already a Muslim. He went along with it for the $40 bonus and free HSP.

Luciano Trani has been fired as assistant coach at Newcastle.

"Goal Australia understands the former Wellington Phoenix, Adelaide United and Brisbane Roar assistant coach had a falling out with Miller, while the Jets were on a tour of China and Hong Kong over the past fortnight.

Miller sent Trani home early and it is believed the latter gave the former Fulham Under 21 coach a terrible review to Newcastle's owners.

It has been widely reported that Newcastle's players were unhappy with Miller being sacked, and it appears Trani has also been shown the door to avoid unrest at training."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2016/09/08/27299102/newcastle-jets-sack-trani-too

Jets sound like they're shaping up for another unstable season.

2 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Luciano Trani has been fired as assistant coach at Newcastle.

"Goal Australia understands the former Wellington Phoenix, Adelaide United and Brisbane Roar assistant coach had a falling out with Miller, while the Jets were on a tour of China and Hong Kong over the past fortnight.

Miller sent Trani home early and it is believed the latter gave the former Fulham Under 21 coach a terrible review to Newcastle's owners.

It has been widely reported that Newcastle's players were unhappy with Miller being sacked, and it appears Trani has also been shown the door to avoid unrest at training."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2016/09/08/27299102/newcastle-jets-sack-trani-too

Jets sound like they're shaping up for another unstable season.

That's covered in the "Newcastle Jests" thread in "Australian Football."

28 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Mauk has been benched every game at NEC and has only played a total of 46 minutes. Either NEC thought they'd get a more complete player, or they're giving him more time to adjust. 

clol.JPG

Or they thought they were signing a 20 year old who they saw as a rotation/backup player currently and hoped he would eventually develop into a first team player?

In which case it's so far going to plan?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

Or they thought they were signing a 20 year old who they saw as a rotation/backup player currently and hoped he would eventually develop into a first team player?

In which case it's so far going to plan?

While I think it's WAY too early to write him off, they did give him #10 which usually signifies a first team role and he started the first game of the season. Then it's just gone to shit, so I would say he has underperformed but he's young enough to turn it around