Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

I think the biggest thing about having even a slight bit of red is that it gives a separate identity as our club within the CFG group. I would actually settle for our home kit if the light blue and white were inverted - provided the dark blue strip became red. But I sure as hell don't want to wear the exact same kit as two other teams.

Currently it's hard to shake the feeling like we're being absorbed into the CFG hivemind. See below:

I find the whole CFG pale blue corporate thing boring as anything. Home games are like getting a mortgage statement from the ANZ!

The red and white was Melbourne all over, sparked passion and gave us a completely different identity from all other clubs in the league. The advertisement for the last derby showed little difference in image between Victory and City. CFG is like Starbucks, an international corporation with a sickly product. I long for our own identity back.

And if penetration into Asia is what CFG are looking for, then red is obviously the way to go. Plus the red and white strip is the smartest looking in the A-League by far.

• Like 5

I find the whole CFG pale blue corporate thing boring as anything. Home games are like getting a mortgage statement from the ANZ!

The red and white was Melbourne all over, sparked passion and gave us a completely different identity from all other clubs in the league. The advertisement for the last derby showed little difference in image between Victory and City. CFG is like Starbucks, an international corporation with a sickly product. I long for our own identity back.

And if penetration into Asia is what CFG are looking for, then red is obviously the way to go. Plus the red and white strip is the smartest looking in the A-League by far.

You don't think baby blue stirs passion or intimidates?

I think the biggest thing about having even a slight bit of red is that it gives a separate identity as our club within the CFG group. I would actually settle for our home kit if the light blue and white were inverted - provided the dark blue strip became red. But I sure as hell don't want to wear the exact same kit as two other teams.

Currently it's hard to shake the feeling like we're being absorbed into the CFG hivemind. See below:

But that is precisely why they want us to play in NSW sky blue.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the work and time that the members of the FRG put into this. And the channel of communication needs to be kept open. But I'm afraid I think the club is ignoring the elephant in the room. I'm convinced that the vast majority of the supporters - and potential supporters - don't care a flying f**k about the number of "memberships", the match-day experience, the goal song, the mascots, etc. etc. - they (we) just want the team to win matches and trophies.That's all that really matters. The rest is all peripheral shit.

• Like 5

Once again I'd like to thank @Torn Asunder for volunteering his own time etc to go to this and then getting involved in passing on information to ourselves.  I think the concept is good and its important to have a line of communication with the club, so that, for instance, they can be discouraged from doing incredibly stupid things like showing Man City or NYC highlights at games (to take a recent example).  

Most of the time though I see a very sanitised message coming out of the club and whilst I completely understand why they would do that, it does detract from the whole point of the exercise.  All I can say is you are a trooper torn.

• Like 2

Boys began to be morphed into eunuchs by the rise of 1970s feminism...

On a serious note, I recommend that  people start sending in their views on all things Melbourne City via "City Voice" as well as using the FRG. We were promised (Ferran Soriano) "a Melbourne club for Melbourne people", but unless we keep the pressure on we will be corporatised, blue-rinsed and sanitised to be anything but that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Boys began to be morphed into eunuchs by the rise of 1970s feminism...

On a serious note, I recommend that  people start sending in their views on all things Melbourne City via "City Voice" as well as using the FRG. We were promised (Ferran Soriano) "a Melbourne club for Melbourne people", but unless we keep the pressure on we will be corporatised, blue-rinsed and sanitised to be anything but that.

JW is absolutely on the money in terms of City Voice.  The club is seriously well resourced to engage (just look at who and how many club people attend FRG meetings nowadays, compared to pre-City when it was just David Lyon).  They are looking and reading and responding to the views of the fans / members through the relevant channels (but that doesn't meant that you will always get the answer you want)

• 2 weeks later...

I few things I might raise include:

- The Daily Telegraph article, and concerns about the privacy and rights of supporters. In particular the 4 Melbourne Heart or City supporters named

- A question about the team's form, and how the team's annoying roller coaster inconsistency over years bothers supporters

- Food at AAMI Park

I don't know much about club mechandise this season, active support this season, and number of other club & supporter issues, so it would be good to get some feedback.

i would like to know exactly what is being done about the injury curse we seem to have. they brought in all these new people but nothing has changed. im sure they are dumb founded too but an idea of the causes and remedies that will be done. 

• Like 2

Congratulations Murfy. For me one thing that has been irritating me is the reporting of injuries to players - we don't get to know what injuries the players have incurred and a realistic length of time for recovery. Sometimes when the media takes the time to find out about a player we may get to know but otherwise we get nothing. Of course sometimes the recovery process will vary and be longer than expected but the club has taken that to a whole new level. There may be a reason for them not informing supporters of the injuries so may be they can tell you why they don't do this, so at least I can put that to one side.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

With the food at AAMI Park issue you could cite the almost cult following something as mediocre as a sausage stand has now got as evidence of a very strong demand for some better food options. 

Also keep badgering them for an actual statement on colors if you can. 

Statement on what exactly about them? :)

Ask them how many of the memberships counted in the membership tally are full season tickets and which are limited game memberships. On that note I would like to know just how far off their membership goal they are, and if it is still 14,000 or something ridiculous like that, how exactly do they plan to meet those targets. Do they plan on firing JVS and improving the play on the park or do they plan on bringing in a guest player to paper over the cracks and make us look exciting purely from a marketing point of view?

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic