Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

Once it's officially confirmed then I'll adjust the squad details accordingly. The thing that stands out for me is that it's only 12 months since our current coach re-signed Hoff for a two-year extension when I doubt that too many of City supporters thought he was worth even a one-year extension.

"While Hoffman was a conspicuous absentee at Melbourne Airport yesterday as City departed for the Gold Coast where it will face sister club Manchester City in a friendly on Saturday, there were several fresh faces."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-v-manchester-city-jason-hoffman-set-to-leave-as-a-league-clubs-rebuilding-continues/story-e6frf4ju-1227443198861?from=public_rss

Further evidence that the club isn't mucking around with transfer activity this season, and that the statement made by the club insider several weeks ago was true: "There will be a fair amount of ruthlessness in decisions that will be made about players in the next few months," one insider said in the wake of City's season-ending defeat. "People won't just be retained because they might be good blokes."

I've been calling for his departure for a while, so IMO Hoffman's exit has been overdue. I just can't think of any senior player anywhere who's been given multiple contracts by a club for trying to play in more than 2 positions (first striker, then midfielder then fullback). It just sets a bad standard when a player survive at a club for 5 years, despite his performances and the team's overall fortunes season after season, just because he's prepared to have a go at playing in multiple positions.

Can't fault his effort, but it's well time Hoffman moved on.

He is easily the club's longest serving player, and it'll be interesting to see which is the first player to overtake Hoffman's longest serving player record. I actually reckon it'll take a long time for another player to remain at Melbourne City for 5 or more years, as next to no players at the club have been around longer than 2 seasons. So expect Hoffman to keep the "longest serving player" record for at least another 3 seasons...    

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

He is easily the club's longest serving player, and it'll be interesting to see which is the first player to overtake Hoffman's longest serving player record. I actually reckon it'll take a long time for another player to remain at Melbourne City for 5 or more years, as next to no players at the club have been around longer than 2 seasons. So expect Hoffman to keep the "longest serving player" record for at least another 3 seasons...    

David Williams and Germano only need to see out this season to equal Hoffman as they joined Heart in it's second season.

That certainly is a club milestone. Better for all concerned. And must give us more flexibility and opportunity to make some prudent additions to the squad - we still have room for 6 more players in the 23+3 allowed.

But thanks Hoffy and good luck.

• Like 2

That certainly is a club milestone. Better for all concerned. And must give us more flexibility and opportunity to make some prudent additions to the squad - we still have room for 6 more players in the 23+3 allowed.

But thanks Hoffy and good luck.

6 spots including 2 visa players and an Australian marquee. Probably Fornaroli, Sorenson and Mooy which will leave us with 4 spots left, no visas and no marquees.

I'm empty and cold. Always felt this cunt would turn the corner and pull a Stephen Bradbury on us then go HAM for several seasons, constantly knocking back moves to play Champions League football to pay back the club's loyalty, before retiring in front of a packed MCG after the post season testimonial against a then defunct central coast mariners best XI.

• Like 6

I remember at some point last season when Hoffman was getting a bit of crap saying something along the lines of yeah we definitely could improve on Hoffman as a right back but at that point in time he was not the worst player in the first 11 and we had to fix other areas of the squad first. Seemingly this off season we have done that, and with the signings that have been made the time is right for Hoff to go.

Having said that, I would have been perfectly happy keeping Hoffman. Fact is, right back is currently Australia's worst position. Both in terms of Australia's first choice RB (Franjic) being the weakest player in the Socceroos first 11, but especially in regard to depth because there really isn't any at all. I have no idea what role the Jets have in mind for him, but I am not at all surprised he has instantly been picked up by another A-League club. Not only is he, in relative terms, a pretty handy Aussie RB, but there is demand for utility players like him in the A-league due to squad restrictions.

Having signed the number 1 Aussie RB, as well as young Retre going from a bloke who should have given up playing the game to a very promising young player since switching to playing RB, we don't need him, but like I say he would be a handy player for a few A-league teams.

• Like 2