Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

Really happy this has happened, no more getting by just doing the minimum. He never challenged anyone for a starting spot, no attempt to make any position his... With our attack being so poor Hoffman had an amazing opportunity to seal himself as a quality striker... He didn't do that and took the opportunity for granted. He was a one time olyroo striker and in a few short years he ended up being an experimental right back defender...

The spot light is now firmly on Wilo this season... Another under performer just happy to be getting paid for playing football... No ambition to be a winner... Hopefully the club release him too 

Really happy this has happened, no more getting by just doing the minimum. He never challenged anyone for a starting spot, no attempt to make any position his... With our attack being so poor Hoffman had an amazing opportunity to seal himself as a quality striker... He didn't do that and took the opportunity for granted. He was a one time olyroo striker and in a few short years he ended up being an experimental right back defender...

The spot light is now firmly on Wilo this season... Another under performer just happy to be getting paid for playing football... No ambition to be a winner... Hopefully the club release him too 

Looking at the squad so far, I'd say Williams, Koren and Brown will all go at the end of the 2015/16 season. Also question marks over Marino (he seems to have disappeared) and Mauk if they aren't really pushing for a place in the starting line-up.

Looking at the squad so far, I'd say Williams, Koren and Brown will all go at the end of the 2015/16 season. Also question marks over Marino (he seems to have disappeared) and Mauk if they aren't really pushing for a place in the starting line-up.

Anyone else remember the Walkerists calling for Marino to start as our Number Nine after he scored against Brisbane?

• Like 1

Anyone else remember the Walkerists calling for Marino to start as our Number Nine after he scored against Brisbane?

Love the term "walkerists" at the time it didnt seem unreasonable given our options upfront. The only yoof player worth giving a go a the moment would be Dekker who has been performing at NYL and NPL level.

It easy to pooh pooh the youth team and use the Walkerist line but until we start bringing in some youth players our improvement as a team will depend on recruiting/recycling discarded or out of favour players. Melling before last season was a youth player. Goode and Hamil and even Babaj are all examples of blokes being able to step up. I think Marino Retre and Mauk are potentially capable they just need to seize their opportunity. If one of those 3 could become like say Melling then it's a bonus and tbf I don't know enough about Dekker to comment. So I don't think it's an either or argument about playing youth it's more about preparing for their moment and if there not up to it move them on sooner rather than later.

I agree with the "Walkerists" term in that people on here have a habit of overhyping our youth and calling for them to start, but when we have the best youth team in the country we really do need to start using it by occasionally promoting players, even just to come off the bench for a few minutes here and there. We can't afford to lose all of our best youth to teams that will play them if JVS refuses to

One thing you can be sure of is if the kids are good enough they will be played. may not see them come through our own academy but already seeing JVS collect some of the best youth in the country kuzmamovski, Melling and chapman in the past two seasons already. The link to manchester will be huge in this. 

Any kid with the ability has pretty quickly found themselves in the first team regularly under JVS.

Back on topic though; regardless of how irrational it is a small part of me died inside this morning reading that Hoff was released. Clearly a good decision but still hate it. Had the same feelings around Carlton Cole and Marlon Harewood when they were released by West Ham.

• Like 1

One thing you can be sure of is if the kids are good enough they will be played. may not see them come through our own academy but already seeing JVS collect some of the best youth in the country kuzmamovski, Melling and chapman in the past two seasons already. The link to manchester will be huge in this.

Any kid with the ability has pretty quickly found themselves in the first team regularly under JVS.

Back on topic though; regardless of how irrational it is a small part of me died inside this morning reading that Hoff was released. Clearly a good decision but still hate it. Had the same feelings around Carlton Cole and Marlon Harewood when they were released by West Ham.

Yeh absolutely, it was the same with Cahill at Everton when the time came for me...

Love the term "walkerists" at the time it didnt seem unreasonable given our options upfront. The only yoof player worth giving a go a the moment would be Dekker who has been performing at NYL and NPL level.

Who is this with the boys on the Gold Coast? Is it Phil Petreski?

-

Edited by jw1739

Phil's decent, he's got good technique and reads the game pretty well (as fortress mentioned though, he's pretty short), does dwell on the ball a little too much at times which is an issue.

As far as Marino goes, I haven't seen anything in the NPL games I've been to that suggest he's any better than Dekker, don't think Marino will still be at the club in 12 months.

Edited by Embee

A large portion of our fan base still don't understand just how good Melling is. There's probably only three or four players in the whole NYL per season that are close to that level.

As perthheart said, the best will rise to the top on their own without needing the fans to campaign for them to be given a start.

A large portion of our fan base still don't understand just how good Melling is. There's probably only three or four players in the whole NYL per season that are close to that level.

As perthheart said, the best will rise to the top on their own without needing the fans to campaign for them to be given a start.

well I suggested Melling was a future Socceroo on here and the responses suggested people thought I was joking, so clearly not everyone rates him like I do.

i like the term "walkerist" that cadete has termed, though to be clear its in regards to Zac. It's not anti-youth but it is anti unrealistic expectations of kids that show a glimpse of talent.

Marino has an opportunity many kids would die for. Needs to grasp it with both hands or he'll be in Melburnians with Mate Duga next year.

I'm not entirely sure that is the case. I always felt that it was better to dump the non-performing senior player and bring someone, anyone rather than keep with the losing team. Ultimately Retre displaced Hoffman as RB but geez that took a while.

in terms of Hoffman, i find the transfer rather bitter sweet.

bitter because after all the time, effort and chances, Hoffman at least finally seemed somewhat serviceable as a backup full back.  wouldn't have ever been a star, but looked like one of those players who would rack up appearances since he was better than the vast majority in the state league but not quite good enough to ever be a regular starter in the A League. to see him go makes me wonder what the fuck the club was doing by investing so much to just let it go after a few defensive signings two seasons on from making Hoffman a defender (he was a fucking forward to start with FFS)

it's a rather sweet though too because there is good reason he copped the flack on the forums.  enough said.

so yeah, feel like a little bit of me has died club wise, but ultimately happy to see Hoffman moving on to bigger and better things for both parties.

• Like 1

Would like to wish The Hoff all the best. The guy always gave 100% on the ground and by all reports at training. 

I gathrr he actually did have talent but perhaps lacked the self belief. Anyway for whatever reason his performances across the field put him in the journeyman category.

good luck at the jets Hoff. Hope you get the game time you are chasing.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure that is the case. I always felt that it was better to dump the non-performing senior player and bring someone, anyone rather than keep with the losing team. Ultimately Retre displaced Hoffman as RB but geez that took a while.

Ross Archibald.

Phil's decent, he's got good technique and reads the game pretty well (as fortress mentioned though, he's pretty short), does dwell on the ball a little too much at times which is an issue.

As far as Marino goes, I haven't seen anything in the NPL games I've been to that suggest he's any better than Dekker, don't think Marino will still be at the club in 12 months.

I posted about Phil not that long ago, the fact he remained in the youth team squad for so long is a pretty bad sign. But on the other hand, Macedonia have been flying him halfway across the globe to play for the u21s, and I can't see them doing that if they didn't see something in him. By all accounts switching to midfield was the turning point in his career, he really didn't seem to have the attacking edge needed to be a decent modern fullback.

But TBH I would have tipped him getting released rather than playing against Man City, seems a bit strange especially with all our midfield talent. Is he even still eligible for NYL? Just turned 20 a couple months back, not too bad I actually thought he would have been closer to 21, but it's easy to forget he started playing for the youth team at a quite young age.

Surely if he is still around it's because he is going to be in the senior squad? Only two other explanations are he is being 'trialled' for the senior team (which seems unlikely given the coaching staff should have a pretty good idea about him by now), or he is being kept on as he is a good captain and leader of the youth team (kind of important now that the youth play in the NPL as well).

Side note, I don't see height as being an issue in his position, and it's previously been commented that he isn't the fastest player either but again as a DM it isn't a priority, back when he was a fullbnack it would have been a bigger issue. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Just now, johnno cpfc said:

I feel sorry for him, it's his first red in his career and a very soft one at that.Definitely not even a foul ,the roar player milked for all he could get .

Got a straight red in the FFA Cup game in Ballarat.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...