Melbourne Football

Rd. 10 - 1st January 2019 vs. WSW, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

This is so frustrating watching how everyone has stopped moving. We have players walking out there. Instead of going hard and making sure you close them out they've invited pressure and the chance for WSW to get back in the game. 

Anyway, it was ugly but will take a win away against WSW in any way, shape or form.

Edited by n i k o

3 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

2 nil against Adelaide away, a draw against an on fire tards, and 2 nil against WSW away (who we’ve never beat away), even after being a man down for most the 2nd half.... hmmm maybe things aren’t so shite after all ??? 

Imagine if we actually had a striker 🤔

• Like 5

A very important win tonight. A win away, against a team that we've never beaten away with 11 men yet alone with 10 men.

Positives:

We won, kept a clean sheet

Great game from Eugene, disguised some of our defensive problems when we were down to 10 but defensively solid until the send-off.

We kept our belief when down to 10

At last, some creativity, with Brattan playing a creative forward role.

Negatives:

Controlled the first half without really offering much of a threat until we started playing more forward balls, then, bang, 2 quick goals.

Too much sterile possession in the first half, we attack with too few players, never create an overload. I was pleased to see McGree coming in at the far post for our second goal, this has been too rare this season. Joyce has our play biased too far toward safety. I'm not suggesting that we become reckless, just a little more attacking. We don't have the brilliant individual performers to reliably score when we are outnumbered 2 to 4 or 5 in our attacking play in the box

13 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Imagine if we actually had a striker 🤔

...we'd still probably wouldn't have done better than 2 wins and a draw...

Huge result tonight, great win from the boys. Despite all the shit floating around, we've actually bonded together the last few weeks on the pitch and have now set ourselves up to be a real contender in the run home.

Looking at the upcoming games in January, there is really a great opportunity to string together an extended run of good form, start challenging the top 2/3 and potentially move a couple of spots up the table. Of course - if I had a dollar for every time I've thought that. Stringing together a strong patch of 8-10 games without a poor performance has hardly been our trademark.

This is why I'm thinking perhaps Joyce's approach is what we need to take the next step. At the very least, it's hard to see the team getting ahead of itself after an encouraging little three game patch, like we would have in years past.

Only really saw the first half and up until just after the send off. Probably 70th min maybe? Anyway thought the defense did well all game. Sure you can pick chunks of time when there was pressure and Euge had to make big saves, but no team especially Aleague teams and especially 10 men teams are never not going to have times when it all looks a bit shaky. 

I dont think we are going to win anything this year, not even sure we will make ACL. But we need to keep Bort. De Laet probably wont stay so make Bort marquee if the cap hassnt already been removed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rass said:

...we'd still probably wouldn't have done better than 2 wins and a draw...

Huge result tonight, great win from the boys. Despite all the shit floating around, we've actually bonded together the last few weeks on the pitch and have now set ourselves up to be a real contender in the run home.

Who knows? The one on one Wales had in the derby with Thomas could have been Bruno? 1-0 early could of been totally different game

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Only really saw the first half and up until just after the send off. Probably 70th min maybe? Anyway thought the defense did well all game. Sure you can pick chunks of time when there was pressure and Euge had to make big saves, but no team especially Aleague teams and especially 10 men teams are never not going to have times when it all looks a bit shaky. 

I dont think we are going to win anything this year, not even sure we will make ACL. But we need to keep Bort. De Laet probably wont stay so make Bort marquee if the cap hassnt already been removed. 

Defence went to shit after you turned off. Almost like they said, run, why? Euge is going to stop it anyway.

3 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Which reminds me of the reason i quit my membership. Like watching paint dry.

Some of you blokes are hard to please. Don't think you can ask too much more than a 2-0 away win. Two good goals and a superb display of goalkeeping.

• Like 1