Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Semi-Final 25th October 7.30 pm AAMI Park: Melbourne Derby

hakz7

What a night! Manny Muscat my man of the match also he didn't put a foot wrong but tbh most of the boys put in good shifts. Kilkenny and Brattan are fantastic to watch. Their anticipation and ball movement is probably the best we've ever had at the club. Yes Mooy was great however he didn't have someone next to him who was just as good. Ceebs going into detail I'm to excited to write it all down. GO YOU CITY BOYS

Also wtf happened in the mcg carpark right beneath the bridge? Cops looked like they just let it happen

IMO our best ever win. So often we've crumbled when we needed to win, but not tonight. Ground out the win in true cup-tie fashion. We were grand both on the field and in the stands - a lot of City blue and white there tonight and great singing and chanting led by Melburnians. Thought the team were sensational - going to be hard to pick a MOTM - with Kilkenny, Brattan and Fernando absolutely outstanding. Wonderful night all round!

• Like 1

Kilkeny the stand out. 

Brattan Mr consistent. 

The Dane was solid.

Caceras loses more 50-50 balls then he wins.

Fornaroli battled hard doesn't need to do as much a he thinks he does though

Cahill AWOL.

The swamp rat is always a danger.  Love his passion

Not happy with either full back or the back 3 experiment-

we rode our luck and if Berisha doesn't miss an open goal could have been different game.  They hacked us to pieces so wel done to getting over that or a good win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Kilkeny the stand out. 

Brattan Mr consistent. 

The Dane was solid.

Cahill AWOL.

we rode our luck and if Berisha doesn't miss an open goal could have been different game.  They hacked us to pieces so wel done to getting over that or a good win.

You can't be serious with the highlighted points? Cahill was everywhere in the first half. He may not have been creating goals but he was in for every challenge and in the faces of the opposition all night. Exactly how a derby should be played. As for the second point, Rose played okay and Manny Muscat was one of if not the best player on the park tonight :hmm:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Kilkeny the stand out. 

Brattan Mr consistent. 

The Dane was solid.

Cahill AWOL.

Some very harsh/incorrect assessments there for me

6-1 aggregate against these dickheads in 2 weeks. Heaven.

New found love for Manny. And Christ I love Brandan and Brats.

Come on boys.

Edited by JC22
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Kilkeny the stand out. 

Brattan Mr consistent. 

The Dane was solid.

Cahill AWOL.

Agree mostly. 

Although it's a cup win.  Was never going to be pretty and being a knockout game luck is always massive factor. For all our deficiencies we still won and beat the Tards.

The tide has turned. 

2 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

You can't be serious with the highlighted points? Cahill was everywhere in the first half. He may not have been creating goals but he was in for every challenge and in the faces of the opposition all night. Exactly how a derby should be played. As for the second point, Rose played okay and Manny Muscat was one of if not the best player on the park tonight :hmm:

Cahill was everywhere and contributes a lot of aggression and backbone to the team. His football contributions though were average

• Like 4

Just now, GreenSeater said:

i was on Muscat wing in the frst half.  Where was he when Berisha had the open goal.  He is very very unsure with the ball at his feet.

As far as Cahill goes, I expect more from a $ 2 mil player than throwing hi body about.  Sorry

Not sure about Caceres. I think he's a good player when we're playing well and with others around him but not the one to take ownership of that starting #10 role.

Even though Bruno was manhandled tonight, i thought he was a little isolated because Caceres didn't link well with him.

So easy to see the difference when we have Colazo there in that role, even though it's only been a game or two. We're far more dangerous.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Not sure about Caceres. I think he's a good player when we're playing well and with others around him but not the one to take ownership of that starting #10 role.

Even though Bruno was manhandled tonight, i thought he was a little isolated because Caceres didn't link well with him.

So easy to see the difference when we have Colazo there in that role, even though it's only been a game or two. We're far more dangerous.

Watching Caceres I feel like he just doesn't have enough confidence in himself. He seems rather timid when going for the ball or choosing his options. He'll almost always pick the path of least resistance with the ball at his feet rather than the slightly riskier option that could result in a goal. He just seems to be missing that killer instict that a number 10 needs. Hopefully it's a confidence thing and will come with more game-time, he has age on his side

• Like 2

another very moist win
had some cockhead going on all game about us being plastic flogs, didn't hear a word after the 2nd went in
his mum/older wife's very broken english was hilarious, absolutely butchered stand by me and kept calling our players "sooki" when they were down "hurt"

bring on the final

3 hours ago, Nate said:

potentially an unpopular opinion, but Manny Muscat has been MOTM in my opinion

Has he put a foot wrong since he came here? Gets unfairly lumped in with Rose as veteran A-League defender recruits. I think he's been a great acquisition so far.

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It was a real FFA Cup semi-final, intense, gritty but not pretty. We stood up tonight, on and off the pitch. The tide has turned this season, it's up to us to keep it like that.

Positives:

we won without pretty football, we won with intensity and determination for 95 minutes

A clean sheet although Bouzanis gives me too many Redders moments. How distribution is good though, it really helps our attack.

Kilkenny, Jakobsen and Muscat were very good, Rose didn't fuck up

Franjic on the pitch ay last

Brattan is an adequate replacement for Mooy although his role is different

We won without our 2 most dynamic players, Colazo and Kamau

Formation change by our genius coach

Timmy v Muscunt and then Our Muscat clattering into their Muscunt on the sidelines

Negatives:

Too much rolling around from our Latin contingent

No sausages

I would disagree with that statement there was certainly some magic from Brattan, Caceres, Fitzgerald, Fornaroli. As an example, the passing in the box for a second goal.

8 hours ago, Fredinho69 said:

What a night! Manny Muscat my man of the match also he didn't put a foot wrong but tbh most of the boys put in good shifts. Kilkenny and Brattan are fantastic to watch. Their anticipation and ball movement is probably the best we've ever had at the club. Yes Mooy was great however he didn't have someone next to him who was just as good. Ceebs going into detail I'm to excited to write it all down. GO YOU CITY BOYS

Also wtf happened in the mcg carpark right beneath the bridge? Cops looked like they just let it happen

Was it a fight?

7 minutes ago, Jestr said:

Fantastic job by active area, easily out done the tards 👍

Well done.

"We hate victree"Is it time perhaps to bury this little sucker in a shallow grave?

Have to agree with both points here. Great noise.

But singing the entirety of the north terraces song book virtually all night was very tacky for me. I know its difficult with the derby specials but still need to retain our integrity imo.

*the only time its acceptable to sing 7 nation army is if it's the classic "blue and white victory faggots" chant lol

Edited by KSK_47

20 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Have to agree with both points here. Great noise.

But singing the entirety of the north terraces song book virtually all night was very tacky for me. I know its difficult with the derby specials but still need to retain our integrity imo.

*the only time its acceptable to sing 7 nation army is if it's the classic "blue and white victory faggots" chant lol

I dont mind hearing "one team in melbourne" being belted out when we embarrass them.

4 minutes ago, malloy said:

I dont mind hearing "one team in melbourne" being belted out when we embarrass them.

Agreed.  Happy to chuck that one back at them all day.  Was arrogant before, now it's just wishful thinking on their part.  Really felt the balance of power shift last night.  On and off the pitch we were the big club.  Their fans didn't turn up.  Too many fair weather friends on their side.  The force is with us.

8 minutes ago, malloy said:

The whole "lets use their chants against them" is a bit low hanging fruit for me. But everyone has their opinions. And obviously if i cared that much i would still be involved in the terrace

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rass said:

Is that not Cahill's role at least as much?  

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Killkenny. Man of the match. Doesnt get the plaudits. Im going to keep repeating myself until he becomes god like on here haha...

Some of those around the corner balls he played, especially the one that started our second goal were sublime. Great reader of the play too. 

7 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Is that not Cahill's role at least as much?  

True especially with the fluidity we play with, a few of them roll through there.

I just don't think he has that chemistry as such when he's there, whereas as Cahill, Brattan and others IMO gel better with Bruno.

10 hours ago, LB said:

I don't come on here often but fark me, I'm too excited not too, what a win! Brilliant to watch.

Agree with others, I thought Muscat was superb, as was Kilkenny. After having an average first 45, I thought Fitzy was tremendous in that second half. His engine is unmatched in the league.

Bratten is a true baller. Probably doesn't (yet) have the vision of Mooy, but his athleticism and passing range are phenomenal.

Well played JVS, I thought he got his tactics spot on tonight.

His engine is matched by Brandan!!