Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016. Rd 16 V Brisbane Strikers Wednesday 24 August 7:30pm

Dylan

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I was hoping for a home game. But seems like it might be one of those runs where the majority of our games are away. Hopefully we get a green gully or something next round

What's Strikers standard. Top 1 or 2 team in their League can't be bunnies but I've got no idea on how they compare to Victorian NPL.

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What's Strikers standard. Top 1 or 2 team in their League can't be bunnies but I've got no idea on how they compare to Victorian NPL.

Always seems that the longer the FFA cup goes the harder it is for the NPL teams. In fact it seems like the worst time to face an NPL team is when we did. We are Very early into the pre season and they, on the other hand, are fully fit and at their peak, but nearing the end of their season

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Not much talk about this game, any idea how Brisbane Strikers have gone in the last few weeks? Are we expecting Cahill to make an appearance? Will JVS play a youth team, or will he just wait to do that in the semi?

3 hours ago, haz said:

Bump.

Not much talk about this game, any idea how Brisbane Strikers have gone in the last few weeks? Are we expecting Cahill to make an appearance? Will JVS play a youth team, or will he just wait to do that in the semi?

We have to play our strongest team. Simple as that. If van 't Schip plays silly buggers with his selections and we lose then I'd say he would be out the door. And justifiably so after last season. Also IMO clubs have an obligation to play their strongest teams, otherwise the competition itself loses credibility. What City did last season was IMO completely unacceptable and I think FFA needs to lay down the law on this issue and fine clubs who do not comply.

I don't know much about the Strikers (Shahanga, where are you?) but none of these NPL clubs should be taken lightly. We seem to have struggled to score in our two recent matches - the Select XI vs. Hume and the match against Adelaide - just one penalty in 180 minutes of football. We should win, but I doubt that it will be easy.

• Like 2

@jw1739 Brisbane Strikers are the ex NSL side, created to give a club that all of Brisbane could get behind (as I understand it). They play at the traditional home of football in Brisbane, Perry Park. They applied to join the A League but were overlooked in favour of the Queensland Lions led consortium.

As to the present day, they are the Queensland NPL champions.

We might be in strife if we put in another crap performance.

Tim Cahill officially cleared to make Melbourne City debut in FFA Cup tie

David Davutovic

21 August 2016

BRISBANE’S 5000-capacity Perry Park will host Tim Cahill’s first game on domestic soil on Wednesday night after the superstar was officially cleared to play.

Cahill will travel with the Melbourne City squad for the FFA Cup Round of 16 clash with Brisbane Strikers after Football Federation Australia granted him a clearance.

The Herald Sun understands that some legalities around the FFA’s guest subsidy must be resolved, but crucially City has submitted his multimillion-dollar contract enabling him to debut.

Cahill is the only player to have been granted approval to sign under the new guest ruling, with FFA understood to have told City’s rivals Melbourne Victory that Alessandro Diamanti, 33, does not qualify under the criteria.

The former West Ham and Bologna attacker has been capped 17 times by Italy, but is currently contracted to Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Evergrande, who are prepared to release him.

Cahill is almost certain to start on the bench against the Strikers, considering he only started training with his new City teammates last Monday and did not play in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Adelaide United on Wednesday.

On Sunday FFA chief executive David Gallop confirmed that Cahill had received blessing from head office to debut.

Tim Cahill gets straight into training with Melbourne City

“The entire Football family is looking forward to seeing Tim Cahill make his debut with Melbourne City,” Gallop said.

“If that comes in Wednesday night’s FFA Cup match it would be a tremendous showcase of the competition that is at the forefront of FFA’s strategy to align the grassroots with the heroes of the A-League.

“We are working through some final contractual points but don’t expect any impediments to arise which would get in the way of Tim playing this week.”

Cahill’s imminent debut means that the Perry Park stadium record could be broken in what is the Strikers’ first home game of the FFA Cup knockout stage after playing their four previous fixtures away.

A crowd of 3417 attended the NSL clash between Brisbane Strikers and South Melbourne at Perry Park in 2003.

Cahill, who signed a two year deal that morphs into a coaching role with City Football Group in year three, last played for Chinese club Huangzhou Greentown five weeks ago.

Any game-time would thrill Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou, who picked Cahill in his 23-man squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

The Socceroos host Iraq at Perth’s nib Stadium on September 1 before facing UAE away on September 6.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-officially-cleared-to-make-melbourne-city-debut-in-ffa-cup-tie/news-story/c7c104a8810b5bf697134cbee9f7d1ea

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Brisbane Strikers vs Melbourne City, Perry Park, Wednesday 24th of August @ 7.30pm AEST.

Sportsbet Odds.

Melbourne City: $1.17

Brisbane Strikers: $11.00

Anything worth a punt on? – Ask Telsa, seems to have a serious hot streak going. Failing that, Draw Half time/Melbourne City to win at $4.50 seems like decent odds given our ability to start a game slowly, most recently seen against Floreat Athena.

Team News.

Melbourne City : Whether Tim Cahill plays will probably dominate the talk in the lead up to the game, but the news that Ivan Franjic is out for an undetermined period of time is likely a more problematic for the City hierarchy, Manny Muscat has looked solid pre-season and the addition of Brad Clarke from the youth team are decent cover for now, but the dearth of mature defenders on the City list is a bit of a worry.  Cahill will cause a reshuffle if he starts and it seems like the addition of Fernando Brandan to the starting line-up will be delayed, he was selected in the youth side to play Hume City, rather than play against Adelaide United in a closed doors friendly the following day last week. Neil Kilkenny played against Adelaide and is likely to start in the middle of the park next to Luke Brattan. Unlikely if Josh Rose will start, but given the lack of defensive cover I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if he or Clarke get a first team call up. In saying that I think Muscat will slot into the left back role he played sometimes at the Phoenix and Retre will move into a make shift right back role. Rose played for Brisbane Strikers in the NSL, scoring on his last game at Perry Park back in 2004, brought on by ex assistant City coach Luciano Trani, scoring against current City assistant coach, Michael Valkanis!

Possible Starting 11:

Sorenson

Retre Malik Chapman Muscat

Brattan Kilkenny

Kamou  Cahill  Fitzgerald

Fornaroli.

Note: I have no idea how Cahill and Fornaroli are going to operate in the same side, Cahill up top with Foraroli coming deeper to pick up the ball wouldn’t be the worst idea, but moving him away from the position where he couldn’t stop scoring last year seems like a bad precedent to set.

Brisbane Strikers: Like most of my football knowledge, anything I know about Brisbane Strikers has been compiled from Football Manager and recent articles. Benefited from Winning the Queensland NPL title on the 13th of August against North Queensland Fury. More devoted A-League followers might recognise Jonti Richter (ex Roar and New Zealand Knights) but Rhys Meredith and Trent Clulow are the main danger men up front, with Meredith scoring 19 goals this season and Clulow being a tricky customer on the wing.

Possible Starting 11:

I have literally no idea. Richter usually comes off the bench and ex A-League stopper Sebastian Usai has been relegated to bench by teen keeper Michael Weier. That’s all I’ve got.

Prediction: Melbourne City 3 – 1 Brisbane Strikers. City to score first and give up a goal to make it tighter than it needs to be.

Who's Telsa?

• Like 1

Think we'll be going in with something close to full strength. Perhaps :
Sorensen
Muscat Chapman Malik Rose

Brattan Caceres Kilkenny
Brandan Fornaroli Kamau

With Cahill, Fitzgerald and Retre as subs for Caceres Brandan and Kilkenny.
Won't surprise if we start Fitz over Brandan and perhaps a youngster gets a run, maybe Arzani

Cannot afford to slip up here. If we want to be the club we're aiming to be, we should be winning this comfortably.

Also, fantastic news to hear that the match has sold out. No doubt it could have had a crowd of 7-7-5 after walk-ups if the capacity was larger, but sell outs are good for football and will at least generate headlines for the FFA Cup and us.

Edited by Deluka