Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

The suggestion that people don't like certain individuals because of 'tall poppy syndrome' is something that annoys me tbh.

People don't like Cahill and Kewell for a variety of legitimate reasons, it's capable to dislike elite athletes for things other than them being elite athletes, to suggest it's all down to tall poppy syndrome is ridiculous. It's the same shit some people spurted for years about sportsmen like Lleyton Hewitt, when it was more than clear that people just disliked him because he was a rat faced, smart ass, cunt.

People view Cahill as a wanker because he comes across as being very self-involved and posts a lot of wanky content on social media, plus all those fluffy 'vision' comments about the A-League. So far I've only seen one person suggest he's a negative dressing room presence, so suggesting someone is a wanker doesn't necessarily mean they're going to have a negative impact on the club. Nobody's saying he's a malicious prick, just that he's a bit of a tool

Yep pretty much 

• Like 2

Don't think tall poppy syndrome is the correct term for it, but Australian's are definitely less accepting of over-the-top characters.

Look at some of the characters getting around in football overseas and in the NBA/NFL, and most are embraced for their personalities. In Australia they're flogs and get smashed by the media.

Not saying it's necessarily a good or bad thing, just an observation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Or use the CFG scouting network to find more players like Bruno.

True. But visa players can only take you so far.

You need a few outstanding Australian players to win silverware. And that probably means taking your chances with either a been there/done that type, like Cahill, or a younger player that will be using the A-League as a springboard to bigger and better things. Both of those players probably think the A-League is a bit beneath them. As long as they prove that it is, I'm not fussed.

If he brings in crowds, scores 30 goals and we win the silverware, I don't give a rats how much of a flog people think he is and neither will anyone else.

The problem with social media is that uninformed, ignorant loud mouths voice their stupidity and then all the other idiots agree with them.

On top of that, media wants to headline everything into click bait and don't really give a crap about the truth and people get reeled in by accepting it as the accurate truth.

The facts is, Tim is a successful person because he has mastered his trade and used his success it to leverage his life ambitions. And make no mistake though, he won't be taking this lightly as he wants to put a huge stamp on the A league as success here will have a huge effect on his own brand's ongoing success.

I think this is perfect timing for both Tim, Melbourne City and the A league as all seem to be in a period of transition and many Australian player abroad will be look at this very closely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

I think people are worried about players that see themselves as above the A League because they're worried they wont take it seriously. Look at Koren. Probably thought he was going to go from the Premier League to the A League and take the piss, then when he realised it was quite tough he decided he didn't really care. I think Cahill however is the opposite. If he comes here thinking he's too good for the A League and he realises quickly that the standard is much higher than he thought he wont just give up. If that were to happen I could just see it pushing Cahill harder tbh

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the clear difference is that Koren's not going to give a toss what Australians think about him in five years; Cahill undoubtedly will.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If he brings in crowds, scores 30 goals and we win the silverware, I don't give a rats how much of a flog people think he is and neither will anyone else.

The problem with social media is that uninformed, ignorant loud mouths voice their stupidity and then all the other idiots agree with them.

On top of that, media wants to headline everything into click bait and don't really give a crap about the truth and people get reeled in by accepting it as the accurate truth.

The facts is, Tim is a successful person because he has mastered his trade and used his success it to leverage his life ambitions. And make no mistake though, he won't be taking this lightly as he wants to put a huge stamp on the A league as success here will have a huge effect on his own brand's ongoing success.

I think this is perfect timing for both Tim, Melbourne City and the A league as all seem to be in a period of transition and many Australian player abroad will be look at this very closely.

So elite sportsmen are immune from being flogs? 

Its ignorance on the publics behalf and a click bait media that creates this stigma? 

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the clear difference is that Koren's not going to give a toss what Australians think about him in five years; Cahill undoubtedly will.

Of course. That was always the case. I'm not going to quote anyone else but I said so myself earlier that no matter what his motivation he won't want to fail. This isn't a debate about his footballing ability, being an elite footballer or his motivation. It's about him saying and doing things that make him sound like a flog. 

• Like 1

From where I sit (generally in an armchair ) Cahill is a flog, but he is also an amazing player so as long as he plays to his abilities and limits his flogishness then as a City supporter I'll be rapt. He wont score 30 goals but if he can manage 20+ games and atleast 8 goals and few assists he be more than doing his job.

He will drag more people to City games for sure. Just this last week the amount of people that know I follow City and comment about Cahill coming is enormous.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

From where I sit (generally in an armchair ) Cahill is a flog, but he is also an amazing player so as long as he plays to his abilities and limits his flogishness then as a City supporter I'll be rapt. He wont score 30 goals but if he can manage 20+ games and atleast 8 goals and few assists he be more than doing his job.

He will drag more people to City games for sure. Just this last week the amount of people that know I follow City and comment about Cahill coming is enormous.

I may be a biased Everton supporter here, but...

I genuinely don't consider him a flog, although I can see how people get that idea because of the cringe worthy rubbish that he puts on social media. He backs himself in, his 'vision' dribble is again cringeworthy, however he is a very loyal person to his family and his football clubs. He has made it to the top level the hard way, nothing was given to him on a silver platter and he has tried to earn as much as he can and promote himself as much as he can to make a success of himself after he retires.

I agree that a lot of it makes him sound like a flog, but the time he gives to supporters and the respect he has from his teammates, tends to say the opposite about him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sharpy said:

I agree that a lot of it makes him sound like a flog, but the time he gives to supporters and the respect he has from his teammates, tends to say the opposite about him.

21 minutes ago, rass said:

Why are we even debating if he's a flog?

I don't know him personally, nor would most if not any people on this forum at a guess. So i don't get the whole argument.

Just let him do his thing. 

Exactly

I've just finished reading his autobiography - a recent birthday present. It's actually not a bad read and my opinion of him has gone up a fair bit. Whatever one thinks of him, his pure drive to succeed and even from a young age his attention to detail are pretty impressive. He's from a really humble background and has worked his arse off despite setbacks along the way. If he can bring even a portion of this to our team we will be very lucky. We do need the marketing kick too and I already know three people who are in if he arrives. Before the cries of "fair weather supporters", I always think of the Oscar Wilde quote - "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about".  We need the attention - time to step out of the shadows. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

I've just finished reading his autobiography - a recent birthday present. It's actually not a bad read and my opinion of him has gone up a fair bit. Whatever one thinks of him, his pure drive to succeed and even from a young age his attention to detail are pretty impressive. He's from a really humble background and has worked his arse off despite setbacks along the way. If he can bring even a portion of this to our team we will be very lucky. We do need the marketing kick too and I already know three people who are in if he arrives. Before the cries of "fair weather supporters", I always think of the Oscar Wilde quote - "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about".  We need the attention - time to step out of the shadows. 

Yeah it was a good read wasn't it.(incidentally also a birthday present).

I reckon you say "if we win we win" to Timmy you'd better have your shin guards on.

• Like 5

On 18/07/2016 at 1:51 PM, SF33 said:

If he cares about what HAL fans think of him, continuously saying the leauge isnt good enough for him over the years isnt a great start. 

So for me attitude is a concern. Not a huge concern but does raise a few red flags. 

12 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

If he cares about what HAL fans think of him, continuously saying the leauge isnt good enough for him over the years isnt a great start. 

So for me attitude is a concern. Not a huge concern but does raise a few red flags. 

Not HAL fans specifically but Australian fans certainly. Whether they choose to follow the league or not, the Australian general public will hear a lot more about him playing shit in the A League than they would about him playing shit in the Chinese Super League.

27 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Not HAL fans specifically but Australian fans certainly. Whether they choose to follow the league or not, the Australian general public will hear a lot more about him playing shit in the A League than they would about him playing shit in the Chinese Super League.

We will see i suppose. I just dont want a circus. I am sure its just years of seeing so many name players coming here and getting the red carpet treatment then not having the impact on the field eveyone was hoping for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

We will see i suppose. I just dont want a circus. I am sure its just years of seeing so many name players coming here and getting the red carpet treatment then not having the impact on the field eveyone was hoping for.

Plus everyone knows that FFA wants to bring him in, at this stage just for one season, for marketing purposes. City just happens to be prepared to take him as a bargaining chip. The upside for us is that he has an outstanding season as per Bruno. The potential downside for us is that we will be under enormous pressure to keep him in the team whatever his form.

Edited by jw1739

20 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out, but I'd like to see exactly what he has said in that regard. I'm an A-League fan and I've been a Heart/City member for several years. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow the league (especially other teams) and Australia's international players as closely as most of the people on here, but I think I'm a reasonable representation of many of the more casual A-League supporters and certainly the City fans that sit around me. And I don't remember Cahill saying anything like that. Perhaps he did, I'm just saying, I don't remember it.

I think a lot of supporters in this country would realise that while it's not a bad standard here, there's much more competitive leagues and much more money to be made in leagues of similar standard. I don't see that as being disrespectful of the A-League, it's just a fact. I'm grew up playing and supporting basketball and it's a very similar story in that sport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out, but I'd like to see exactly what he has said in that regard. I'm an A-League fan and I've been a Heart/City member for several years. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow the league (especially other teams) and Australia's international players as closely as most of the people on here, but I think I'm a reasonable representation of many of the more casual A-League supporters and certainly the City fans that sit around me. And I don't remember Cahill saying anything like that. Perhaps he did, I'm just saying, I don't remember it.

I think a lot of supporters in this country would realise that while it's not a bad standard here, there's much more competitive leagues and much more money to be made in leagues of similar standard. I don't see that as being disrespectful of the A-League, it's just a fact. I'm grew up playing and supporting basketball and it's a very similar story in that sport.

For example:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-19/david-gallop-says-tim-cahill-a-league-comments-off-the-mark/7184146
https://www.reddit.com/r/Aleague/comments/46ehar/socceroo_tim_cahill_says_hes_open_to_playing_in/

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, for me it's hard to know what he's really getting at from that. I'm not sure what long-term vision he's expecting the FFA to offer to the likes of Lampard and Pirlo. It's hard to see them setting up in Australia and becoming mainstays in the local football scene for decades to come. With regards to the "A-League couldn't meet his needs" comment, that looks like a Gallop quote that people might be attributing to Cahill (it's not clear which of the two said it, from the way it's written).

The "long-term vision" stuff, with regards to the FFA, well, I think that's something that most of us would like to know. Has the A-League found its level, or is it striving to make major strides and become a more respected league worldwide? Saying "...some people's vision is not as big as mine..." seems as much about him wanting to pot the FFA as to pump up his own tyres, so I don't have any massive issues with that. What I don't understand is how Cahill's reported guest stint will change that. Hopefully, if and when his arrival is confirmed, there will be some clarification of that.

I should clarify that I don't follow Cahill (or any other player) on social media, so he doesn't have much opportunity to irritate me with any self-importance that he regularly displays on those platforms.

I'm sure there are players who have paid lip service to how strong the league is but secretly thought they would dominate only to find they couldn't.

edit: and reading those articles makes me think higher of him. Questioning the vision of the A-League? Bring it on. Don't most of us rip the FFA a new one whenever we can?

Edited by Alexxxandro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

I'm sure there are players who have paid lip service to how strong the league is but secretly thought they would dominate only to find they couldn't.

edit: and reading those articles makes me think higher of him. Questioning the vision of the A-League? Bring it on. Don't most of us rip the FFA a new one whenever we can?

I just provided a reference I could find easily. IMO Cahill is perfectly corrct in his statement that there is no long-term vision for the league. One only has to read the "whole of football" document to get that message. It's just that FFA  - or more correctly, the egos in it - doesn't like anyone inside the game saying so publicly.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that Cahill's arrival will have such a dramatic impact. Villa attracted the eurosnobs, they won't be interested in Cahill

but I'd argue that Cahill is more known than David Villa in this country, so you could potentially attract a whole new market of fans.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

but I'd argue that Cahill is more known than David Villa in this country, so you could potentially attract a whole new market of fans.

Villa didn't stay long enough for his full potential impact to be realised, and IMO quite a lot of damage to City's trustworthiness was done by the whole fiasco. If he comes Cahill is going to be an interesting case study in City memberships and both home and away attendances. I think both club and player are going to be under intense pressure if he does come to the A-League.

• Like 1