Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Only a very small percentage of footballers could play back to back for 2 years. You would force a 36 year old to do a few more weeks of pre season only to watch him breakdown before January?

For him to have a snowflakes chance in hell of lasting the season, he needs a break.  

He may well need a break but the later our visa players and Cahill arrive the more likely we are to just repeat our usual disjointed poorly prepared start to the season, just as we do every year

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He may well need a break but the later our visa players and Cahill arrive the more likely we are to just repeat our usual disjointed poorly prepared start to the season, just as we do every year

Can't work out whether this is the way you like it or you want it changed...

Transfermarkt values Cahill at a transfer fee of 510,000 GBP.

Contrast Bruno Fornaroli at 850,000 GBP. Tell me who should be the marquee and command the higher salary...

Also note Neil Kilkenny at 340,000 GBP and Fernando Brandan at 425,000 GBP.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Can't work out whether this is the way you like it or you want it changed...

I want it to change. I'd like to see a team of players who are familiar with each other and who all understand their role in the team. This needs real games to reach that level of understanding, not 1 week of training and an introduction to the other players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Embee said:

I don't see the issue with Cahill's status/pay to be honest, the FFA have basically created a loophole expressly for the purposes of bringing Cahill to the league, It's not Cahill or Bruno, or Cahill or another season long Guest. It's pretty much Cahill or that additional spot doesn't exist.

Yes, he's a wanker, and yes I wouldn't have personally wanted him if we were using one of the two actual marquee spots on him. But I'll also say yes to what is essentially a free Tim Cahill as far as squad spots are concerned

The issue is that he's a wanker, a marketing stunt, grossly overpaid for his relative worth to others in the squad and can't be bothered to join them for pre-season, is therefore likely to piss off all the other members of the squad and disrupt team unity. City are only doing this to get concessions from FFA on "City blue" and other things.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The issue is that he's a wanker, a marketing stunt, grossly overpaid for his relative worth to others in the squad and can't be bothered to join them for pre-season, is therefore likely to piss off all the other members of the squad and disrupt team unity. City are only doing this to get concessions from FFA on "City blue" and other things.

I don't like Cahill very much, but he's had (as far as I can tell) no record of being a disruptive or negative presence in any locker room he's ever been part of and was surely on some decent coin in comparison to his team-mates at most of the clubs he's represented. Claiming a guy who's held in extremely high regard nationally in this sport being paid large wages is going to piss off ALL the other members of the squad is a ridiculous reach.

Seems to me like you're just searching for an excuse to be unreasonably upset about it all in my opinion.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Embee said:

I don't like Cahill very much, but he's had (as far as I can tell) no record of being a disruptive or negative presence in any locker room he's ever been part of and was surely on some decent coin in comparison to his team-mates at most of the clubs he's represented. Claiming a guy who's held in extremely high regard nationally in this sport being paid large wages is going to piss off ALL the other members of the squad is a ridiculous reach.

Seems to me like you're just searching for an excuse to be unreasonably upset about it all in my opinion.

pretty much this. Like Cahill or hate him he's the biggest football presence to non-football people in Australia other than Messi or Ronaldo, is still cutting the mustard both at international and club level, and by all reports seems liked wherever he goes. Cahill is an institution for Australian football and given he's essentially a free pass as a third marquee, I'm wrapt to have him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Tbh I thought it was as good as done once the FFA announced the revamped Guest Stint rule.

Im sure it is but am guessing they want the fan fair that comes with someone actually being in the country to accept and wear the kit for photos etc. Would be shit PR if it just dribbles out all over social media, when he signs on they should be putting him on radio stations all day will most likely make the news in a big way i would hope. 

I've probably missed something: why do so many people apparently consider him to be a flog? To me, it's always seemed that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and he has a pretty healthy ego, basically in proportion with a player that has been considered our best for the past 8-10 years, but he doesn't seem like a bad bloke to me, or - more importantly - a player that polarises his teammates.

His ego is a positive, as far as I'm concerned. He seems like the sort of player that will train like the highest paid player in your team should, as opposed to, say, Koren. And he's the sort of player that wouldn't allow himself to finish his career as an A-League bust.

Excited about this signing, but hungry for much more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SF33 said:

I've probably missed something: why do so many people apparently consider him to be a flog? To me, it's always seemed that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and he has a pretty healthy ego, basically in proportion with a player that has been considered our best for the past 8-10 years, but he doesn't seem like a bad bloke to me, or - more importantly - a player that polarises his teammates.

His ego is a positive, as far as I'm concerned. He seems like the sort of player that will train like the highest paid player in your team should, as opposed to, say, Koren. And he's the sort of player that wouldn't allow himself to finish his career as an A-League bust.

Excited about this signing, but hungry for much more.

You make some rational points but

20 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Yeah, but he'll be our wanker.

4 hours ago, SF33 said:

His ego is a positive, as far as I'm concerned.

My concern is that his attitude towards the leauge over the years has been that its beneath him. I dont want another player coming here for an "easy" last pay cheque.

Hopefully he does take it as seriously as we want him to but to change his tune that quickly is a bit sus for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

You make some rational points but

Ok. Why is he a wanker?

I'm not particularly fussed either way, I'm just a bit bemused by the perception and why it's apparently so prevalent 

39 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

My concern is that his attitude towards the leauge over the years has been that its beneath him. I dont want another player coming here for an "easy" last pay cheque.

Hopefully he does take it as seriously as we want him to but to change his tune that quickly is a bit sus for me.

Fair enough. I think there's good reasons to be optimistic about him, in that regard. As far as I'm aware, he's been a popular teammate. His body isn't shot, like Kennedy or Kewell. He'll naturally have a bit more pride in how he performs professionally in Australia, compared to Koren, or countless other visa flops with impressive CVs.

Blokes need to lay off Timmy.

Sure, he's on very good terms with himself. But he's a fucking genuine Australian hero and now he's (probably) ours. Embrace it.

Many of the best players are arrogant, it's all part of it.

I love Tim now and I'll love him more if I see him run out on AAMI Park in a City shirt.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SF33 said:

Fair enough. I think there's good reasons to be optimistic about him, in that regard. As far as I'm aware, he's been a popular teammate. His body isn't shot, like Kennedy or Kewell. He'll naturally have a bit more pride in how he performs professionally in Australia, compared to Koren, or countless other visa flops with impressive CVs.

Absolutely. I am not pissed off about the signing or anything, just a bit sceptical. I'm cautiously optimistic things will pan out well but not counting my chickens just yet.

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Absolutely. I am not pissed off about the signing or anything, just a bit sceptical. I'm cautiously optimistic things will pan out well but not counting my chickens just yet.

I'm only sceptical about JVS' ability to get the best from both Bruno and Timmy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'm only sceptical about JVS' ability to get the best from both Bruno and Timmy.

Nothing complicated about their roles, they are their to score goals. JVS's limitations is defensive tactics and strategies. If the ball gets up there efficiently, TIM and Bruno will give us the best opportunity to score above all other teams in the A league. Hopefully Brattan, Brandan and Caseras will manage the supply.

On 17/07/2016 at 10:56 AM, Alexxxandro said:

It's not a coincidence that Australia's best attacking player of the last 10 years is considered a wanker and that Kewell before him is also.

Tall poppy syndrome.

It's easy to get angry at players like Cahill and Schwarzer who have dismissed the A-League but maybe it's that rejection of mediocrity (on the world stage it's an average league) that is part of their drive to be the best they can be. They keep believing they are EPL quality as long as possible and then they keep believing they are worth 5mil a year in Asia for as long as possible. They want to believe they are still world class. And then eventually they get older and wiser and the body starts to give out and they change their tune and that's understandable.

These players have lived and breathed football on massive wages and adored by the public and facing reality is probably not their strong suit. Emotionally they probably haven't had to grow up too much when money is never a concern and everything has generally fallen into their lap.

Or something.

Nail on the head. If you want a player that is just grateful for the opportunity to be playing in the  A-League, there's no shortage of Hoffman/Murdocca 'good squad member' types kicking around. But if you want someone to be a star, you probably need to go after a player with a fair ego, someone that feels that he is a cut above the standard. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Nail on the head. If you want a player that is just grateful for the opportunity to be playing in the  A-League, there's no shortage of Hoffman/Murdocca 'good squad member' types kicking around. But if you want someone to be a star, you probably need to go after a player with a fair ego, someone that feels that he is a cut above the standard. 

Or use the CFG scouting network to find more players like Bruno.

• Like 1

The suggestion that people don't like certain individuals because of 'tall poppy syndrome' is something that annoys me tbh.

People don't like Cahill and Kewell for a variety of legitimate reasons, it's capable to dislike elite athletes for things other than them being elite athletes, to suggest it's all down to tall poppy syndrome is ridiculous. It's the same shit some people spurted for years about sportsmen like Lleyton Hewitt, when it was more than clear that people just disliked him because he was a rat faced, smart ass, cunt.

People view Cahill as a wanker because he comes across as being very self-involved and posts a lot of wanky content on social media, plus all those fluffy 'vision' comments about the A-League. So far I've only seen one person suggest he's a negative dressing room presence, so suggesting someone is a wanker doesn't necessarily mean they're going to have a negative impact on the club. Nobody's saying he's a malicious prick, just that he's a bit of a tool

Edited by Embee
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I think people are worried about players that see themselves as above the A League because they're worried they wont take it seriously. Look at Koren. Probably thought he was going to go from the Premier League to the A League and take the piss, then when he realised it was quite tough he decided he didn't really care. I think Cahill however is the opposite. If he comes here thinking he's too good for the A League and he realises quickly that the standard is much higher than he thought he wont just give up. If that were to happen I could just see it pushing Cahill harder tbh

• Like 1