Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Chinese window opens up on the 21st. Which is a Thursday......

Cahill's possible transfer to Australia has nothing to do with the transfer window in China. It's the window for the football association into which the transfer is being made that counts. Ours is open 1st June to 31st July.

• Like 1

Tim Cahill set to play in A-League for Melbourne City

Dominic Bossi

July 14, 2016

Tim Cahill appears set to finally play in the A-League after reaching an agreement in principle to sign with Melbourne City for the upcoming season. 

Fairfax Media understands City are on the cusp of signing Cahill as a guest player outside of the salary cap with sources suggesting a formal deal is close. Australia's all-time leading goalscorer is approaching the end of his contract with Chinese club Huangzhou Greentown, which expires this month and after years of talks, skirmishes and tension with Australian clubs, looks to be on his way to play professionally in Australia for the first time in his career. 

Cahill has reportedly turned down the option to remain in China having knocked-back a contract extension offered by Greentown and was previously chased by another club based in Shanghai. 

Sources suggested Cahill's minimum asking price to move to the A-League was $3 million while it's been reported the proposed deal with City could be worth as much as $4 million per season.

Should he sign as a high-profile guest player with City, it would make him the first star to play in the A-League since David Villa and would be a major coup for Football Federation Australia since the establishment of the marquee fund, which assists clubs in signing big name players. 

The FFA has desperately been trying to attract star players to raise the profile of the competition this season, which will be played beneath the backdrop of negotiations for a new broadcast deal.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-set-to-play-in-aleague-for-melbourne-city-20160713-gq5bkd.html

EXCLUSIVE: Tim Cahill to be unveiled by Melbourne City next week

Domenic Favata

July 14, 2016

Official confirmation of Tim Cahill’s move to the A-League with Melbourne City will be made next week after he rejected a contract extension with current Chinese club Huangzhou Greentown. 

Melbourne City are expected to meet Cahill’s minimum asking price, suggested to be worth as much as $4 million per season.

Outside90 understands Cahill has reportedly already agreed personal terms with the club and will be officially unveiled by City next week.

The move would be a healthy boost for the entire competition, which has struggled for big name marquees in previous seasons and the FFA’s ruling last month of a third marquee allowance has only aided the cause. David Gallop and the FFA are believed to be keen use Cahill and his aspirations for Russia 2018 as a major marketing tool for the next few years.

Leaving Sydney to join Millwall in the late 1990s, Cahill has gained a wealth of footballing experience at the highest levels – starring for Everton from 2004-2012 before plying his trade for this likes of New York Red Bulls, Shanghai Shenhua and Hangzhou Greentown.

Known for his legendary status among the Australian national side with 91 appearances and 47 goals under his belt for the Socceroos, Cahill has become an Australian sporting icon and will arguably be the biggest marquee name to grace the A-League.

http://outside90.com/tim-cahill-to-be-unveiled-by-melbourne-city-next-week/

Edited by Murfy1

Gallop responds to Cahill speculation

Thursday, 14 July 2016

Aidan Ormond

FFA CEO David Gallop says negotiations to bring superstar Tim Cahill to the Hyundai A-League have been“positive”, adding he spoke with the Caltex Socceroo hero last night.

“All I can say at the moment is we’re having positive talks, on going with Tim," Gallop said on Thursday.

“I met with his manager yesterday and spoke to Tim last night. It’s not appropriate to say more than there are positive talks ongoing.

“And I’ve said before, we’d love to have Tim playing in the A-League. I believe it’s the right time in his career.

“He’s got the opportunity to make a history making appearance at the World Cup in Russia 2018.

“So at the moment it’s positive, with a bit of ‘watch this space’.”

Reports surfaced overnight that Cahill had rejected a contract extension with his Chinese Super League club Hangzhou Greentown.

It led to fevered speculation overnight that Cahill was set to sign with Melbourne City as a guest player outside of the salary cap.

“Obviously that’s a step,” Gallop said of the latest Cahill contract development, “with a few more steps to go.”

New head of the Hyundai A-League Greg O’Rourke stressed that returning Socceroos to the league need to be ones who can make a difference.

And he hoped his tenure - which begins in a month - will be one that has Cahill as an A-League player.

“If you’re bringing back the Tim Cahills of the world, they can really make a difference in the marketing of this league.

“Absolutely you’d do anything in your power to do that and I’m sure that’s what currently we’re trying to do," he said.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-ceo-david-gallop-responds-to-tim-cahills-a-league-speculation/16whxd1i8znki1kdy8o1kffuj0

11 minutes ago, Fredinho69 said:

Not too sure how I feel about signing him. Don't get me wrong I love him as a socceroo always have and always will but this last year or two it seems its all about him. Also hoping we play him behind Bruno not as a target man striker 

I believe this signing is more about pleasing the ffa and getting them onside so cfg can negotiate rule changes that benefit us more than anything else. 

I hope he does well but it could easily end up as another Kewell at Victory scenario. At least Newcastle will pay their terrace to make a dope tifo when we play them though

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I believe this signing is more about pleasing the ffa and getting them onside so cfg can negotiate rule changes that benefit us more than anything else. 

I hope he does well but it could easily end up as another Kewell at Victory scenario. At least Newcastle will pay their terrace to make a dope tifo when we play them though

Got concerns there too, but the again the squad the tards had was ageing and well and truly declining. Remember too that season was the season Durakovic was in charge - equivalent to Bambi being in charge (as opposed to JVS).

With only 17 of the squad confirmed I think it's too early to be splitting hairs. 

32 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Being signed as a guest player can only be looked as a bonus. 

Welcome Mr Cahill. 

Depends what special conditions Cahill will secure from FFA. As the days pass I become less and less keen on this possible signature. City are perfectly capable of assembling a very good squad without Cahill, and the more the "negotiation" goes on the more we look like the ventriloquist's dummy for FFA. I've got no doubt at all that City are only doing this to extract the maximum benefits from FFA, and outside of that I don't resile from my forecast that this will end in tears all round.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Depends what special conditions Cahill will secure from FFA. As the days pass I become less and less keen on this possible signature. City are perfectly capable of assembling a very good squad without Cahill, and the more the "negotiation" goes on the more we look like the ventriloquist's dummy for FFA. I've got no doubt at all that City are only doing this to extract the maximum benefits from FFA, and outside of that I don't resile from my forecast that this will end in tears all round.

I get were your coming from. 

I see it more as being the Del piero effect rather than the list of failed Marquees. 

On feild it will be up and down but off feild we may see the power of image transform our position in the market. 

I guess for me it's better to try than not at all.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm pretty sure many people outside our club see the roles between us and FFA to be quite the opposite of what you've stated.

No one fucks with CFG least of all the FFA. I'm also sure we have more employees than them as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Remember too that season was the season Durakovic was in charge - equivalent to Bambi being in charge (as opposed to JVS).

JVS being in charge does not make me feel any better about the situation what so ever.

My biggest concern is (like Kewell) he seems to be coming here with the attitude he's doing us a favour by even turning up. When it comes to game day he may not find it as easy as he thought and it all goes south from there

Edited by KSK_47

11 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

JVS being in charge does not make me feel any better about the situation what so ever.

My biggest concern is (like Kewell) he seems to be coming here with the attitude he's doing us a favour by even turning up. When it comes to game day he may not find it as easy as he thought and it all goes south from there

Would lol if JVS leaves us as a championship coach. 

Two offers but Tim Cahill looks bound for Melb City

6:15pm, Jul 14, 2016
VINCE RUGARI AND EMMA KEMP 

Tim Cahill is bound for Melbourne City in the A-League, but the Socceroos’ veteran maintains he might not choose his next club for some weeks.

Tim Cahill says he has two concrete offers on the table from clubs in two different countries – but the Socceroo veteran is certain to be in the A-League next season with Melbourne City.

The 36-year-old turned down a whopping three-year contract extension with Chinese club Hangzhou Greentown on Thursday, and then dropped a huge hint regarding his future by claiming his next move would be a “pure family decision”.

But official confirmation that Cahill is set to become the new face of the A-League will have to wait for another day.

“I’m going to take a few weeks off now and go back to New York, I’ll sit down and check the two concrete offers that I have in two different countries and I’ve never been one to be dictated to by speculation,” Cahill told Fox Sports News.

Multiple reports suggest Cahill has already agreed to personal terms with City and will effectively become the club’s third marquee player on a deal worth up to $4 million, under rules drafted by Football Federation Australia to specifically bring him to the league.

FFA chief executive David Gallop said he met Cahill’s management on Wednesday and spoke to the player himself later that night, while new A-League boss Greg O’Rourke hailed the move to sign him and reckoned the competition needed more players like him.

Cahill maintains he hasn’t made up his mind but says he won’t rule out the A-League.

“I understand there’s a lot of frustration but I don’t really talk too much when it comes to speculation. I like it that way – I like to be private,” Cahill said.

Cahill also said he was “disheartened” by speculation regarding his possible wage demands and that he would only come home if he could do so for the “good of the game” and while still close enough to the peak of his powers.

“I’ve always been very tactical and smart when it comes to being a footballer; I’ve always kept myself at the highest level,” he said.

“I want to be a Socceroo for as long as possible and I want to play in a league that’s going to give me the best possible chance to test myself.

“(But) I don’t want the misconception that things need to revolve around me.

“They need to revolve around young players that are coming into the league, bringing value to the league and they really need to bring some value to the league for the owners, for the wealth of the game and the fans who are really going to reap the rewards.”

-AAP

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2016/07/14/tim-cahill-melbourne-city/

Cahill's interview on Fox Sports here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/socceroos/tim-cahill-speaks-on-future!534374

Edited by Murfy1

This has been an incredibly difficult decision to leave Hangzhou Greentown.I have felt that I am part of a great family ever since the club president Mr Wu gave me an opportunity back in February. I’ve really enjoyed being around so many young, talented Chinese footballers. It is inspiring to see their development and there are only good things ahead for this club. The passion of the fans at every game, home and away, has been amazing as well and I’ve loved being part of it all. This decision is based on me wanting to be with my family. The President offered me an amazing contract to stay and I know he will continue to make this club great. I will miss him and my Chinese brothers and I wish this football club all the very best. #hangzhougreentownfc #LEGACY

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

JVS being in charge (pt 1) does not make me feel any better about the situation what so ever.

My biggest concern is (like Kewell) he seems to be coming here with the attitude he's doing us a favour by even turning up (pt 2). When it comes to game day he may not find it as easy as he thought and it all goes south from there (pt 3)

You raise a few points there:

Pt 2: yeah he's cocky, but then he has the Cv to support it doesn't he.  

Pt 3: Honestly my read on Cahill is he's the sort of bloke who thrives when it turns out be harder.  Not worried about that one.

Pt 1: Yes well, why worry about who we are signing?  you know how its going to turn out regardless.

(My concern is more related to 1- the hard grounds & injuries and 2 - how does he fit into the formation and your point 1 of course)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You raise a few points there:

Pt 2: yeah he's cocky, but then he has the Cv to support it doesn't he.  

Pt 3: Honestly my read on Cahill is he's the sort of bloke who thrives when it turns out be harder.  Not worried about that one.

Pt 1: Yes well, why worry about who we are signing?  you know how its going to turn out regardless.

(My concern is more related to 1- the hard grounds & injuries and 2 - how does he fit into the formation and your point 1 of course)

I see what you are saying and i hope you are right (about him thriving) but i dont know. Normally i think very highly of Cahill and his integrity but his attitude towards the leauge have been very disrespectful over the years so i just hope his heart is genuinely in it. 

3 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Thought "family" meant living in the USA?

Nah mate. You're thinking of Mexico

1 hour ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Not overly concerned with Cahill taking two weeks off. He is pretty fit and currently playing so not to concerning

He may be fit, he may be talented by David Villa was those things too. If he's signing for us he's required ASAP for a decent pre-season. We'll have a team of half new signings, we'll be playing a different formation (if he's signing) with different roles for players in the front third and our defenders are going to have to learn how to defend as a unit. Having Cahill and other visa signings meander into pre-season a few weeks before the season starts with no familiarity with the other players and the system is not professional. They'll miss FFA Cup and pre-season games.

20 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I see what you are saying and i hope you are right (about him thriving) but i dont know. Normally i think very highly of Cahill and his integrity but his attitude towards the leauge have been very disrespectful over the years so i just hope his heart is genuinely in it. 

Nah mate. You're thinking of Mexico

One thing I've never doubted when I've watched Cahill is his ambition to win. Now whether that ambition is driven for the club or himself that's another thing. So i don't doubt he'll give his best when here. 

Anyway to not give his best would ruin his 'brand.' 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He may be fit, he may be talented by David Villa was those things too. If he's signing for us he's required ASAP for a decent pre-season. We'll have a team of half new signings, we'll be playing a different formation (if he's signing) with different roles for players in the front third and our defenders are going to have to learn how to defend as a unit. Having Cahill and other visa signings meander into pre-season a few weeks before the season starts with no familiarity with the other players and the system is not professional. They'll miss FFA Cup and pre-season games.

I doubt our other players will come in at the end of September prior to the season. A couple more weeks is neither here nor there at this stage. In saying that, come August, you would want almost a complete squad training together. 

• Like 1

I dont really mind either way if he signs. Its pretty much a free kick for us with the rule change. We wont win anything with JVS in charge anyway. I think he will either be announced next week or when he gets back from New York with the new kit. I believe the Greek construction worker aka @thisphantomfortress 's Serbian hairdresser  mentioned this was the plan?

Edited by Dylan

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Only a very small percentage of footballers could play back to back for 2 years. You would force a 36 year old to do a few more weeks of pre season only to watch him breakdown before January?

For him to have a snowflakes chance in hell of lasting the season, he needs a break.  

• Like 1

BBC are reporting it too, now (and they don't usually print rumours unless they think it's close to being confirmed):

Tim Cahill: Australian close to Melbourne City switch after leaving Hangzhou Greentown

Tim Cahill has left Chinese club Hangzhou Greentown, and could be set for Melbourne City FC.

Cahill, 36, joined Hangzhou in February and scored four goals in 16 appearances for the second-tier club.

The Australian made his name in English football, appearing more than 200 times for both Everton and Millwall.

David Gallop, the chief executive of the Football Federation of Australia, said it was "the right time" for Cahill to play in his home country.

Cahill, Australia's top scorer with 47 goals in 91 games, paid tribute to Hangzhou on Instagram, and revealed he had turned down an "amazing" contract offer to stay.

"This decision is based on me wanting to be with my family," he said. "The passion of the fans at every game, home and away, has been amazing and I've loved being part of it all."

The attacking midfielder started his career at Millwall, scoring 52 goals in 217 games.

Everton paid £1.5m for him in 2004, and he played 226 times for the club in the league, netting 56 times.

In February he described having his contract with Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua terminated as "heartbreaking", before joining Hangzhou a week later.

Gallop said on Thursday that "positive talks" had been held with Cahill about bringing him to Melbourne City.

And newly appointed head of the Australian League, Greg O'Rourke, said the move could help to grow the sport in the country.

"If you're bringing back the Tim Cahills of the world, they can really make a difference in the marketing of this league," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36793358

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Only a very small percentage of footballers could play back to back for 2 years. You would force a 36 year old to do a few more weeks of pre season only to watch him breakdown before January?

For him to have a snowflakes chance in hell of lasting the season, he needs a break.  

According to what I can see on transfermarkt he didn't play a (club) match between the beginning of December 2015 and 6th March 2016.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1