Melbourne Football

RD 23 | Away to Adelaide Friday 11 March 7.30pm

Dylan

How about it! Defensively perfect tonight and if not for Fornaroli surprisingly being wasteful in front of goal we could've beaten them 3 nil or better. 

All positives tonight, can't think of a thing that went wrong tonight. Malik was critical i thought, his reading of the play to intercept passes was big. Harry's runs were simply breathtaking, no surprises the Fox boys rated them after the match. We're in this up to our necks, should be aiming for 15k minimum next week v. Brisbane. 

And credit to the huge travelling City contingent in the corner stand tonight. Looked great on TV! I'm buzzing

Was expecting that we'd be conceding a lot of the ball tonight and hoping for a break to bang one in. Was exactly the opposite. JvS got the tactics right, defensively tight, controlled the midfield and were dangerous in the final third. Pissants were hardly threatening. Having said that, Bruno seemed a little tired but still worked his arse off. Fantastic away from home win against a top side. Great start to the weekend.

Amazing result. When we are presented with a great opportunity we always fold but not tonight.

Positives:

Tactically and structurally sound all game. This was the best defensive effort for a long time and the clean sheet was well deserved. Wilkinson had less obvious influence than Malik but his influence on the shape and positioning of the defence  is enormous.

This was the first game where our midfield has dominated the game. Malik gave the best DM display for us since Srhoj

Fitzgerald luckily had one good final shot in the front third and with his non-dominant foot too.

Good games from Harry and Mooy

JVS was tactically good, amazing that Amor is the first coach that he has outreached all season

Negatives:

2 off field incidents unseen

Chris Beath

Dekker's injury, surprisingly poor form from Mauk

• Like 1

Big big win. The team gets a lot of ticks with that win. A defensively superb job, with a flat 4-4-2 in defence that started applying pressure around the halfway line (a 'medium block'). The team stayed organised, pressed together and kept the intensity up. Credit to all the players and the coaching staff for fine-tuning the defence.

A clean sheet, a professional 1-0 win, an away win, new player Fitzgerald coming up with a great goal and a match winner, Mooy with another assist and no injuries (pending news on Dekker). And a win despite the nutcase Beath (the worst ref for our club). A lot of positives.

I'd say this was our hardest remaining match. Playing a team undefeated in 14 matches, away from home, and with Melbourne City underperforming on the road recently. Now over our last 4 matches Melbourne City only have 1 away match (Perth) and 3 home games--and we're turning AAMI into a fortress,with 6 wins and 2 draws over last 8 games (also 2 of those home games provide opportunities to take points off rival contenders).

So a massive win, and something unusual for Melbourne City supporters--a moment where supporters can reasonably have some excitement about the club's title chances!

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

So a massive win, and something unusual for Melbourne City supporters--a moment where supporters can reasonably have some excitement about the club's title chances!

Absolutely. I dont think i have ever felt to positive in my time supporting this club. I cant ever remember being so proud of the club

Edited by KSK_47
Drunk
  • Like 1

Wilkinson is city's long-waited level-headed central defender. He has enormous influence on this team and his composure helps defence a lot, so glad we beat other team to have him.

How good is Malik's man marking! I think he did really well in the past three weeks to shut down Bonevacia, Ninikovic and Carruscca today. Credit to him.

IMO, next week's game with Brisbane is probably the most exciting match since Derby 1! No matter what happened this week, if we win next week, we come first for at least one night, at our home!

• Like 3

Judging by the reactions of all the players and coaching staff tonight, i think just about everyone is finally starting to believe that we can go on and actually win some silverware this year. The hunger and determination in all the players tonight was brilliant. Awesome win and looking forward to next week, well done lads!

• Like 1