Melbourne Football

Rd 22: #MCYvSYD AAMI Park, Sat 5 Mar 2016, 7.30 pm

NuggetsMcGreggor

Best two things about today:

Bruno: what a god. Seriously, the greatest Heart/City player, period. And credit to  Harry for the assist for the second...peach of a delivery

The mythical clean sheet! Just the second for the season, get around the defence!

• Like 2

- 3 points at home against a rival on the table (albeit an undermanned rival) is massive in the context of our season
- Fornaroli is an absolute god and probably the best A-League acquisition of all time, and Novillo played his part
- Mooy being Mooy
- A clean sheet has me feeling weirded out, and I think Wilkinson has a lot to do with it
- Kisnorbo was extremely lucky not to be sent off and even though he mightn't have been the last man (I think it was borderline tbh), it was still a clear goal-scoring opportunity and he pretty much tackled him 
- Malik and Caceres are still taking a while to settle in (so many errant passes and mistimed tackles)
- I sat in GA today and thought the Melburnians were noisy and great, also loved that just about the whole stadium got involved with the "if you love City stand up" chant
- Andrew Hoole is a complete and utter spastic and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him eat shit all game and lose the plot

I still think we can finish top of the league if this current squad stays fit and performs as it should, and I think we're pretty safe in the 6 now which is as an absolute minimum requirement. 

Will take the win but still weird line ups from JVS (Garrucio over Zullo for starting lb?). I thought that Sydney where the better team in the first half tbh, but i felt as soon as we got the goal things started to change, and we ended up running over the top of them. Even though we didn't get a lot of shots on goal we made the most of the ones we did get and thats all that matters.

You could see the importance tonight of Novillo, works well with Bruno and with the attention Harry gets, it opens up things for Bruno. And speaking of Bruno what a special player, his composure in front of goal is something i've never seen in the a-league, don't care if people think i'm a massive homer for saying this but i reckon he is the greatest striker to ever play in the league. His lead up play for the first goal tonight was really impressive, just a very, very special player.

A shout out too to my boy Paddy "tough as nails" Kisnorbo. Was in the right place in the right time so many times tonight to clear the ball out, and kept Matt Simon quiet. Maybe should've been sent off but thats another argument :) Wilkinson played very well as well, hopefully we can keep this CB pairing together for the rest of the season, because they worked quite well tonight (and got a clean sheet too!)

Was it the complete performance? Not at all, but a 3-0 win is a start. Bring on Adelaide  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Was that rugby tackle A red?

They seem to only get yellows (though I don't agree with that), the ref had a chat to the linesman as the question was, was the attavker through on goal? Luckily wilkinson could have potentially got across. 

Mind you I held my breathe the whole time.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

They seem to only get yellows (though I don't agree with that), the ref had a chat to the linesman as the question was, was the attavker through on goal? Luckily wilkinson could have potentially got across. 

Mind you I held my breathe the whole time.

Yeah I watched the replay and it Wassnt a red. Kisnorbo knew exactly what he was doing. Had that smirk he does on his face the whole aftermath ahah

Poor quality game in general that will be remembered for St Bruno of AAMI's hat trick As @Jovan said we won despite JVS' tactics. Probably also the first game in HAL history to see both teams line up with a back 3. Tactically bizarre.

Positives:

Bruno, not surprisingly back on target with the extra time and space and creativity Harry's presence creates. Second goal was an act of beauty.

I've lived long enough to see a second City clean sheet.

Negatives:

Bizarre tactics from both coaches, no discernible game plan for either team.

Poor basic skills lead to regular ball turnover in midfield, Mooy excepted. How hard should it be to trap the ball or head to a player on your own team?

Poor intensity

I don't mean to sound too negative when we've just won 3-0 but we'll need to play a lot better to beat teams like Adelaide

• Like 3