Melbourne Football

January transfer window

Shahanga

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Our girls just did the double. Is it coincidence that they will now get their own facilities at Latrobe and that we're aiming high to retain most of this season's squad and also strengthen it?

The men are still in the mix for silverware, but by no means certain of doing any better than last year. Is it coincidence that we may be focussing on future seasons rather than this one?

Also don't forget that the closure of the transfer window is largely irrelevant. Most transactions into the A-League involve free agents, and they can come at any time.

I'm guessing it would just be a potential issue with the vacant visa spot: that if we want to sign another foreign player, the available pool will have dwindled drastically, as players and clubs rushed to put pen to paper before the deadline?

Of course, one would hope that the club had a specific foreign player in mind and we needed to get him signed before the deadline, we would have managed it.

2 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Except it's "owned" by the AFL

Yes. So not only does he have Etihad branding plastered across an A-League team, he also has branding prominent across the biggest sporting competition in the country........ for now. If that changes in the future then yes, he will probably want us to have our own stadium.

3 hours ago, Pete Heartspur said:

Yes. So not only does he have Etihad branding plastered across an A-League team, he also has branding prominent across the biggest sporting competition in the country........ for now. If that changes in the future then yes, he will probably want us to have our own stadium.

This.. plus.. if we consistently get 8 k turned up at each match. We probably better off keep using AAMI Park. Having said that, would love to have a stadium of our own and called 'City Ground' :P

Edited by raw10

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So overall:

Outs: Velaphi, Richardson, Koren, Mauk, Williams, Espindola, Paartalu.

Ins: Bouzanis, Caceres, Fitzgerald, Malik, Wilkinson.

On paper and past performances a sum net gain. 12 or so games to prove it true or not.

Satisfied but not overjoyed. 

On 05/02/2016 at 7:59 PM, mulhollanddrive said:

We have 8 of the best players in the league (Sorensen, Franjic, Kisnorbo, Wilkinson, Zullo, Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo) and don't even have an international marquee.

Time to win something given most of them might not be here next season.

Not sure Zullo has done enough to be listed in this company, but overall a good point regarding the squad. 

I was pretty pessimistic after last season and the off season until I saw what the Tuna could do. But, for me the "outs" like Dugandzic and Williams to me have almost been as important as the "ins". We are gradually replacing the softcocks with harder nuts like Franjic. Wilko and Malik are quality pickups if we can keep them. If Melling can improve his passing now that Paartlu has gone we will be hard to stop. But not sure about the 3-5-2.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

sign a fucking free agent visa for fucks sake and bring in a guest

Hoping yesterday's "performance" shows we can't just expect anything to happen and whilst our squad may be very good on paper we cannot just expect it to work for us. I understand it's hard to find a marquee and guest in February but with the City Football groups scouting knowledge I've got no doubts we could find two class players who are out of contract. I'm presuming they don't want to sign a player just for the sake of it but every other club has two marquee spots filled (I believe) so for us to not utilise that in a salary capped league is stupidity, especially when we've just spent 400k paying out Koren.

Personally I think we need to sign a winger and a defensive midfielder. There's plenty of wingers available there's Oar, Kranjcar or Ronaldinho off the top of my head who could do a job. I'm not as sure on defensive midfielders but I'd have no doubt we'd be able to find someone who could be a good performer at this level.

The title is hanging above us and far from a guarantee but it is there for the taking, the fact money shouldn't be an issue gives us no excuse not to go out there and improve our squad. In a capped league it's quite hard to use our finicall advantage quickly. When we're aloud to have two marquees and a guest player out of the squad I'd be quite pissed if we didn't fill those spots.

Its really now or never though, leave it much later and the better free agents will be gone and with the finals quickly approaching we want to give players the chance to gain fitness and settle into Melbourne and our squad/tactics before finals do start.

Don't let us down CFG!

Williams out Fitgerald in I get, but the rest of it?

Pointless chopping and changing of the squad. All we've done is introduce lesser players who aren't used to the side.

Ok get rid of that imposter Koren, but how about you replace him.

2 long term injuries and a Getmano clone in the squad and yet no injury replacements.

Someone should be accountable for this farce.

That's what I alluded to last week. There's been too much change. Too many players brought in/ taken out, too much inconsistency regarding how we play. Then there's been the changing of players due to injury, Hughes in one week and out the next, Kisnorbo injured at the beginning of the game etc. Theres just way too much going on for the squad to ever settle with each other.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Williams out Fitgerald in I get, but the rest of it?

Pointless chopping and changing of the squad. All we've done is introduce lesser players who aren't used to the side.

Ok get rid of that imposter Koren, but how about you replace him.

2 long term injuries and a Getmano clone in the squad and yet no injury replacements.

Someone should be accountable for this farce.

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That's what I alluded to last week. There's been too much change. Too many players brought in/ taken out, too much inconsistency regarding how we play. Then there's been the changing of players due to injury, Hughes in one week and out the next, Kisnorbo injured at the beginning of the game etc. Theres just way too much going on for the squad to ever settle with each other.

Fair enough comments. I also think we should not necessarily release players in mid-season  "so that they can pursue another opportunity."
I would have said Bouzanis for Tando was clearly a step backwards and the wrong move for the longer term; I would have expected Tando to be taking over from Sorensen sometime during 2016-17 - now we have to look for someone completely new.
Not sure whether Malik for Mauk was the right move at this stage in the season - why trade a young player we've put 4 years into?
Fitzgerald for Williams was a good move.
Addition of Caceres was a good move.
Despite my dislike of Koren, releasing him but not replacing him on the visa player list doesn't make sense to me.
Addition of Wilkinson seems a good move but the release of Paartalu seems unwise.

I don't understand the releases of Richardson, Symeoy and Espindola. These all look like young players who've fallen out with JvS for some reason - despite in the cases of Symeoy and Espindola seemingly favourites earlier in the season. 

When I look though the current players on our books I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the squad as some others - Franjic is questionable IMO, and Hughes should have gone in the January window. We've not bothered to get an injury replacement for Chapman. In midfield both Trifiro and Retre are honest squad players, but not game changers. And up front other than Harry and Tuna we have Kuzi, Gameiro, Brown, Marino and Dekker - no game changers there either. Week after week we have a bench that is markedly inferior to that of our opponents.

Overall I'm finding it quite hard to see where these changes have taken us, or are taking us.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough comments. I also think we should not necessarily release players in mid-season  "so that they can pursue another opportunity."
I would have said Bouzanis for Tando was clearly a step backwards and the wrong move for the longer term; I would have expected Tando to be taking over from Sorensen sometime during 2016-17 - now we have to look for someone completely new.
Not sure whether Malik for Mauk was the right move at this stage in the season - why trade a young player we've put 4 years into?
Fitzgerald for Williams was a good move.
Addition of Caceres was a good move.
Despite my dislike of Koren, releasing him but not replacing him on the visa player list doesn't make sense to me.
Addition of Wilkinson seems a good move but the release of Paartalu seems unwise.

I don't understand the releases of Richardson, Symeoy and Espindola. These all look like young players who've fallen out with JvS for some reason - despite in the cases of Symeoy and Espindola seemingly favourites earlier in the season. 

When I look though the current players on our books I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the squad as some others - Franjic is questionable IMO, and Hughes should have gone in the January window. We've not bothered to get an injury replacement for Chapman. In midfield both Trifiro and Retre are honest squad players, but not game changers. And up front other than Harry and Tuna we have Kuzi, Gameiro, Brown, Marino and Dekker - no game changers there either. Week after week we have a bench that is markedly inferior to that of our opponents.

Overall I'm finding it quite hard to see where these changes have taken us, or are taking us.

I agree we should be holding on to players.

At a guess, Tando had an opportunity to go and with Sorenson signed next season as well he probably wouldn't get a look in until 2017/2018. Two years is a long time.

By the sounds of it Mauk was planning to move on at the end of the season which allowed us to make the move on Malik. I don't mind this as we need to strengthen our defensive options. Id also say that the biggest reason was because the club knew Paartalu would be going and so Mauk was the trade off to fill this void.

Fitzgerald and Caceras are both good moves.

Ideally I would have liked Koren to stay and at the least be a bench player. But I've gone over my opinion on what I believe happened too many times.

Richardson was a short term deal, whatever that is anyway. Not sure about Symeoy. Espindola by my understanding was an injury replacement for James Brown.

Id say the biggest loss out of all this is Paartalu. Yes he had his shortfalls but I also think he was playing some pretty good football over the last month.

Edited by n i k o