Melbourne Football

January transfer window

Shahanga

I thought a thread that summaries all the January business might be worth while, as for one it will be easier to track if we are actually improving the squad or not.

My current take:

Out: Velaphi. In: Bozanzis 

Out: Chapman (inj) In:Malik

Out: Mauk In: Caceres

Out: Gameiro (inj) In: Fitzgerald 

Out: Williams In: TBA

Out: Koren In: TBA

so summing up the present situation we haven't done a lot to write home about, the main thing is we've managed to find decent replacements for our injured players.

The "big moves" are surely yet to come in the Williams and Koren replacements.

• Like 1

Well Shahanga it seems Malik isn't an injury replacement for Chapman as he has signed until the 2017/2018 season.

I would think Caceres would be the injury replacement for Gameiro as he was announced before Fitzgerald.

So you have Tando, Williams, Koren and Mauk out

Bouzanis, Malik, Fitzgerald and Caceres in

Overall I think we have already improved because Williams and Koren were useless for us.

We may still bring in a guest player and a Marquee yet as well.

43 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

will be pissed off if we don't bring a great marquee and guest
we've downgraded our backup gk
would take willo and mauk over both fitzgerald and caceres and i don't think much of malik

oar not an acceptable marquee and can't see how he qualifies as a guest

Well I am sorry but Williams has done absolutely nothing off the bench this season. I would take Fitzgerald over him and even Melling. As for Caceres and Malik, I haven't seen enough of them to give a valid opinion. Caceres is most probably replacing Gameiro, so at least we have another player to choose from.

Stefan has played some good games this season and some ordinary ones. I guess only time will tell if we have made a mistake letting him go. Although if his heart is set on going to Europe, then maybe it was the best thing to do.

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Well I am sorry but Williams has done absolutely nothing off the bench this season. I would take Fitzgerald over him and even Melling. As for Caceres and Malik, I haven't seen enough of them to give a valid opinion. Caceres is most probably replacing Gameiro, so at least we have another player to choose from.

Stefan has played some good games this season and some ordinary ones. I guess only time will tell if we have made a mistake letting him go. Although if his heart is set on going to Europe, then maybe it was the best thing to do.

did assist tuna from the right one game didn't he?
fitzgerald had the fluke from distance against us but apart from that he's done fuck all 
1 goal in 23 apps for brisbane and 7 in 70 for ccm, both had successful years there and he still didn't do much

need to be strengthening for the 2nd half season, not getting weaker (rest of transfer window to play out)

Edited by Thrillhouse

7 hours ago, silva10 said:

Well Shahanga it seems Malik isn't an injury replacement for Chapman as he has signed until the 2017/2018 season.

I would think Caceres would be the injury replacement for Gameiro as he was announced before Fitzgerald.

Overall I think we have already improved because Williams and Koren were useless for us.

I wasn't talking about their contractual arrangements (as you are correct MALIK is not an injury replacement) but rather looking at the squad on a "like for like " basis as otherwise it can be a bit difficult to grasp what's happened.

The changes so far don't excite me, but I think the big moves are yet to come, so I'm not panicking.

If we're going to revert to JVS's preferred 4-3-3 the obvious need for the marquee is a right winger. If we continue with the 3-5-2 we probably need to strengthen the defence. A winger/striker type player is probably the most needed, particularly if Bruno or Novillo get injured we don't have the quality in reserve to fire us to the title.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, silva10 said:

People are forgetting to add Richardson to the "outs." He may have been a short-term signing, but he was being paid and occupied a place in the squad.
I see Tando as a serious loss, suspect Mauk would have left at the end of this season anyway, and Malik as a gain. Williams and Koren had done nothing for us for a season and a half.
Bouzanis, Caceres and Fitzgerald are only contracted until 31st May 2016, so we're not committed long-term to them.
My verdict so far: Nothing spectacular so far, some deadwood cleared, opportunity to look at a couple of players for the future, calculated risk on Sorensen being able to play every match. Big question: Are there any further signings to come? 

3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

If we're going to revert to JVS's preferred 4-3-3 the obvious need for the marquee is a right winger. If we continue with the 3-5-2 we probably need to strengthen the defence. A winger/striker type player is probably the most needed, particularly if Bruno or Novillo get injured we don't have the quality in reserve to fire us to the title.

I would get a Marquee striker and move Novillo to right wing and if a striker goes down we can always go to a 4-5-1.

I`m looking forward to them announcing our Marquee i think it will be someone to take this club to another level.

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I would get a Marquee striker and move Novillo to right wing and if a striker goes down we can always go to a 4-5-1.

I`m looking forward to them announcing our Marquee i think it will be someone to take this club to another level.

Why get a player thats going to neuter Tuna? The best striker we have ever had

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Why get a player thats going to neuter Tuna? The best striker we have ever had

Absolute garbage!! Tuna is a gun and if you bring in a gun striker Tuna will go to another level. Its not under 12s where you have to protect a player becuase his dad throws in more money then the fat kids dad.

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Absolute garbage!! Tuna is a gun and if you bring in a gun striker Tuna will go to another level. Its not under 12s where you have to protect a player becuase his dad throws in more money then the fat kids dad.

Well talk about an overstatement.

Why waste a marquee spot in a position we already have two starting 11 players who can fill the role. Then add the two other young players who also are strikers. 

The marquee should be there to replace Koren. An attacking midfielder that will actually work with Mooy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well talk about an overstatement.

Why waste a marquee spot in a position we already have two starting 11 players who can fill the role. Then add the two other young players who also are strikers. 

The marquee should be there to replace Koren. An attacking midfielder that will actually work with Mooy

And if you cant find that attacking midfielder in this window? "most" strikers can play as an attacking midfielder or out wide anyway!!!

Would love to see Ki Yung Seung.  He should be the type of marquee we should be looking for; regularly playing at a high level, under 30 and even has connections in Aus.  Plus Ki would obviously be the designated AFC player when we make the champions League.

14 minutes ago, haz said:

Would love to see Ki Yung Seung.  He should be the type of marquee we should be looking for; regularly playing at a high level, under 30 and even has connections in Aus.  Plus Ki would obviously be the designated AFC player when we make the champions League.

Yes on all counts but the transfer fee alone woul be close to £10M. Anyway like I said last time "not my money"

19 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

they're idiots if they don't get a guest or a marquee 

Suggests we are not serious about chasing the title this year. Disappointing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

they're idiots if they don't get a guest or a marquee 

Well, I don't know about that. The argument could be that Koren did nothing for us this season, but so far we've improved on last season and are not completely out of the race with 12 matches to go, so why not stay as we are plus what we've been able to do in the window so far? It wasn't easy to push Koren out the door, and there's hardly any time to sign a new marquee now. I'd also suggest that as Davutovic says and reported elsewhere, the League itself has not done a great deal to help our new owners so far, so why should we help them out?

Yes it's disappointing news , but maybe it's best to take our time and find the right player(s) for next season?

• Like 1

Assuming we don't bring in someone to replace Koren I only see positives with this move, or lack there of. Firstly the worst thing that can happen in a team environment is toxic relationships that affect the rest of the team. So on this front I'm happy we have moved Koren on. Secondly we have had a lot of players moving in and out this month. My only concern with this, while most of it is positive, is the team needs time to settle again to work as a coordinated unit again, like we did over Decemeber. Lastly if no one comes in as marquee I'm happy because it means the club isn't going to, under any circumstance, rush and bring in someone that could destabilise the team or not be able to bring everything a marquee should bring to the team. And that includes staying on the pitch game after game without injury. 

It'd be great if they find the right player, but if they don't this a good thing as well guys. 

• Like 2

Haha calm your farm. 

"Sounds like" is a hell of a lot different to someone reporting what "is".

Id not be surprised if we sign a handy player not worthy of marquee status as marquee for the remainder of the season due to lack of options and then relaunch for a proper marquee next season.

In saying that, id take anything jvs says at a presser with a (very large) grain of salt.

• Like 3

As far as I'm concerned there should already be a shortlist of players for our marquee spot next season. I'm sure it was planned from the start of this season that Koren wasn't going to be signed and to be honest I'd be surprised if we hadn't already made an approach to agents regarding next season.

Sign a marquee and guest until the end of this season, and if they are any good then see how we can fit them in for next season and beyond. Just like we did with Novillo. All I know is if Mooy or Fornaroli gets injured then we're finished.

Would make it easier if we had the depth there of 2 marquee players to keep our big guns fresh and not take any risks heading into finals

2 minutes ago, morphine said:

Can someone explain to me the logic behind saying "Mauk would've left at the end of the season anyway" then the next sentence saying "we need to bring in a solid Guest player for the rest of the year"????

imagine we're in the final against WSW with the lineup we'll have tomorrow against Wellington. make a realistic score prediction.

Then add Vidic and Kranjcar to the starting 11 and make a second score prediction.

Not to say that those 2 players would come, but definitely players of the same quality. i would be much more confident of us running away with the league if we added 2 marquees.

The reality is we have been a mediocre club since day 1 and this is our best chance yet to win the league. it's a massive opportunity to sign 2 big players here. Next season we won't have Mooy, we might not have the luxury of having Bruno under the cap, and who knows if Zullo or even Franjic/Paartalu will head back overseas. 

Just sign the players and get the job done for once.

38 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

imagine we're in the final against WSW with the lineup we'll have tomorrow against Wellington. make a realistic score prediction.

Then add Vidic and Kranjcar to the starting 11 and make a second score prediction.

Not to say that those 2 players would come, but definitely players of the same quality. i would be much more confident of us running away with the league if we added 2 marquees.

The reality is we have been a mediocre club since day 1 and this is our best chance yet to win the league. it's a massive opportunity to sign 2 big players here. Next season we won't have Mooy, we might not have the luxury of having Bruno under the cap, and who knows if Zullo or even Franjic/Paartalu will head back overseas. 

Just sign the players and get the job done for once.

Yeah no I completely agree. Which is why I ask about the logic behind losing Mauk. He'd absolutely help with our push this year. 

If the reasoning is, as stated, "he'd be gone next year anyway", then that's clearly contradictory. 

11 minutes ago, morphine said:

Yeah no I completely agree. Which is why I ask about the logic behind losing Mauk. He'd absolutely help with our push this year. 

If the reasoning is, as stated, "he'd be gone next year anyway", then that's clearly contradictory. 

The logic is that Malik will help more, and IMO it's sound thinking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morphine said:

Can someone explain to me the logic behind saying "Mauk would've left at the end of the season anyway" then the next sentence saying "we need to bring in a solid Guest player for the rest of the year"????

Because we need an extra defensive player a lot more than we need what would now be a second or third choice midfielder. That's why we let Mauk go, to get Malik, who is at the minute more valuable to our side.