Melbourne Football

January transfer window

Shahanga

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

I think it was a purely clear the decks kind of thing to make way for next season, with the thinking we have a strong enough squad to go into the finals.

JVS will NOT 100% be at the club next season!!

I agree, as I said in another thread the CFG seem extremely patient - in fact detrimentally patient even at Man City level. It seems clear now for a while that Pellegrini cant get the best out of his freak-squad - and it seems they are happy to let another season fizzle and start fresh next year.

Sometimes you can be too patient, and let the whole club get too lethargic in their position. A jolt is needed.

Having said that, our performance against the past 2 weeks were shockers, but we were pretty ordinary for large periods of 2 games against the same opposition earlier in the season with the 'other' team. 

What seems to be the constant is tanned, wears no socks and is dutch!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

I agree, as I said in another thread the CFG seem extremely patient - in fact detrimentally patient even at Man City level. It seems clear now for a while that Pellegrini cant get the best out of his freak-squad - and it seems they are happy to let another season fizzle and start fresh next year.

Sometimes you can be too patient, and let the whole club get too lethargic in their position. A jolt is needed.

Having said that, our performance against the past 2 weeks were shockers, but we were pretty ordinary for large periods of 2 games against the same opposition earlier in the season with the 'other' team. 

What seems to be the constant is tanned, wears no socks and is dutch!

Perhaps CFG should start putting specific expectations in the players' contracts. eg. $XXX per annum if the club finished first otherwise, your pay reduces to $XXX. Let's see whether they perform then. Unfortunately, with Man City, the intentions were clear that Pellegrini is leaving next season, so the risk of player's already thinking of their next move is always going to be high. I bet their agents already started ringing other clubs. Especially if you know that you won't get along with Pep Giurdiola.

I wouldn't conflate ManCity with MelbCity. Yes they are having parallel seasons but at least Pelligrini has won silverware. Where they are parallel is the injury to players which has left Man City unable to field its strongest possible side all season - where as Melb City we went and got injured players. The other aspect is that some players form drop right off the cliff as they age - Toure is the one I have in mind but MelbCity did not have a player whose form dropped off because they aged. Koren came with his form low already.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I wouldn't conflate ManCity with MelbCity. Yes they are having parallel seasons but at least Pelligrini has won silverware. Where they are parallel is the injury to players which has left Man City unable to field its strongest possible side all season - where as Melb City we went and got injured players. The other aspect is that some players form drop right off the cliff as they age - Toure is the one I have in mind but MelbCity did not have a player whose form dropped off because they aged. Koren came with his form low already.

I only mentioned it because our games were sort of similar in how they played out and also a lot of the comments are similar to ones on here. 

• 2 weeks later...