Melbourne Football

RD 15 City travel to the Glory Hole

Dylan

Positives:

It was a game in Perth and we didn't lose

We controlled the game away from home

We weren't out-muscled as usual by thugs of Perth although they tried their hardest to cripple Sorensen.

Negatives:

JVS was clearly happy to play for the draw, even went from a back 3 to a back 4 when Perth went down to 10 men. I couldn't imagine the womens team playing like that.

Bouzanis is only 1 heartbeat away from being our goalkeeper

No intensity 

no Plan B

Edited by belaguttman

Just now, drewmelbcity said:

You must be speaking of novillo, very frustrating game from him

I think both didnt do enough in transition tonight.. Novillo its usually a weekly thing but from mooy last season he was chasing back and tackling like a machine... hasnt reached the same defensive heights as he did last year IMO

The players got ahead of themselves yet again. How many times does this have to happen? They'd won one whole game in a row, yet they played like a team that had had a circle jerk going for the past week, reading all the complimentary articles about what an exciting team they are to watch. You're an exciting team for neutrals to watch, because they know you're going to score multiple times and because they know the opponent (if they're any good) is going to score multiple times too.

JVS' speech in the rooms should have gone something like this: "You're not as good as you think you are." Then he should have walked out.

Players couldn't get any consistent tempo ... I'd say the speed of the pitch was partly to blame ... a slow pitch suits Perth. 

Dissappointing not to win and I reckon the players would be gutted, but from a historical context going to Perth has always been a nightmare so I'm glad we didn't lose.

And seriously, those commentators killed me tonight. 90% focused on Perth and so full of shite. Cockerall and Harnwell can go and eat a turd.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

Really disappointing, a chance to go 2nd, playing against Perth, playing 11v10 for the last 30 minutes, and not taking it.

The defending deserves to be put under the microscope. We play with 5 defenders, one who's a Visa player with plenty of top level experience (Hughes) and one who has plenty of European experience (Kisnorbo), with a Visa keeper behind them with plenty of top level experience and we're leaking about 2 goals a game. 26 goals conceded over 15 games (twice as many as Sydney FC), 1.733 goals conceded per game (a number that's trending up), and only 1 cleansheet all season (only CCM have obtained less). Not good enough.

The team looked off the pace all game, and the performance was disjointed. No excuses for that IMO, even if there was a temperature upwards of 30'c, a bad pitch, travel, time difference or whatever. That's why teams travel up to their away match early. 

Perhaps tactics in part explained why the performance was disjointed. Whenever we were in attack Perth always seemed to have multiple players around Fornaroli or Mooy or Novillo when they had the ball. Perhaps the 3-5-2 wasn't best suited for this game, or Perth countered it effectively. The team looked more effective when it played with width. JVS did switch to the more attacking 4-3-3 on the 75th minute, but we should have done so earlier. There was no need to play with 3 central defenders against a 10 man Perth, so we should have switched to 4-3-3 after the sendoff on the 60th minute. Indeed, I think we really missed an extra attacker in the final third, absorbing some defensive pressure and hence making Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy a lot more free to work their magic.

We had a lot of the ball (61.2%), but didn't create enough good chances. 14 shots (ex. blocked), but only 3 on target (far below our usual league-leading shooting accuracy). Also we took the lazy option far too often, we far too many shots from distance:

25aq349.jpg 

All up the team just didn't put in the hard work over 90 minutes to get the reward, and unfortunately an excellent chance to go 2nd went begging. The coaching staff couldn't lift the team's intensity to the necessary level to get the job done, and then at least when we were 11v10 I think the tactics (at least the formation) were wrong. Hopefully with a new addition to the squad in the lead up to the Wellington game, and hopefully with a fit Franjic rejoining the team as well, things can click going into our next game and Melbourne City can get back to winning ways.

• Like 1

Our expectations have been set by the results, not the manner of the performances. We were battered by victory, Brisbane and Wanderers for large parts of each game and simply couldn't retain possession when under pressure. It's great to have outstanding strikers who can make the most of limited opportunities, but every game we look like we could ship goals. 

The he results not unexpected in my mind.

• Like 2

Melbourne Heart had several problems: No one upfront -that is now fixed; poor midfield - fixed; a mediocre defence - gone backwards. The only time the club has had a good defence was the second half of last season when the club acquired Jaliens and Baharudin, and put Velaphi in the goals. This season we have lost Chapman and Hughes has shown that at 36 he is way past it. Unfortunately we keep losing our first choice RB in Franjic and Zullo should be LB. The January window remains open I just hope that they can get an injury replacement for Chapman ASAP.

On another point, this team has always performed poorly in the heat. Whenever the team plays in Brisbane or Perth - we are crap.

The players looked lethargic in that game. I think part of the problem is the travel to Perth. I used to travel to Perth a lot and found the 3 hour time difference a real killer. 

I believe the players travelled on Friday and got in late in the evening. I always found myself incredibly tired when I got there after sitting in the plane for hours and then on arrival found the sun was down and I was not sleepy. DOH!

So what did I do? I went the 2 days before  and got a good night's sleep on the second night. I'm not sure if others have had the same lethargy or not or perhaps it was just me, but I hope we were not trying to save some measly dollars by travelling so late. Surely CFG have the coin.

Yes I realise that we were off our game and these guys are professional yada yada yada.....

24 minutes ago, Ray said:

The players looked lethargic in that game. I think part of the problem is the travel to Perth. I used to travel to Perth a lot and found the 3 hour time difference a real killer. 

I believe the players travelled on Friday and got in late in the evening. I always found myself incredibly tired when I got there after sitting in the plane for hours and then on arrival found the sun was down and I was not sleepy. DOH!

So what did I do? I went the 2 days before  and got a good night's sleep on the second night. I'm not sure if others have had the same lethargy or not or perhaps it was just me, but I hope we were not trying to save some measly dollars by travelling so late. Surely CFG have the coin.

Yes I realise that we were off our game and these guys are professional yada yada yada.....

Apparently it is better travelling a westerly direction for jet lag and body clock adjustment etc. Also unless you left Melbourne late in the evening, then the Sun should just be setting in Perth by the time you get there...flying is very dehydrating as well hence why people feel very tired after 4 hour flights and a slight time change,

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

I found it tiring in both directions. I know it's a personal thing about your make-up etc. but the late travel to Perth, the heat must have played some part.

Its slower flying to Perth too by about 30-60 minutes to a Westerly orientated high level jet stream. The leg back to Melbourne is just over 3 hours as opposed to 4 to Perth. Jet lag is worse when you are flying east as your body clock has to 'speed up'

2 hours ago, Ray said:

I sue to do a lot travelling to WA a long time ago but I can't comment on the effects of jet lag because I had to deal with the effects of a hangover - back in those days I use to drink a lot before getting on a plane.

Disappointing on the night to draw but overall the gap between ourselves and the leading club has narrowed over the past 2-3 matches. So that's a positive. IMO it's hard to see us winning silverware with a defence that is leaking like a sieve at almost two goals per game. The slightest hiccup with the scoring machine up front and you're going to lose with that sort of defending. If the rumours are true we are looking to sign players such as Caceres and Fitzgerald when, like others have said, IMO it's the defence that is a shambles and needs reinforcement on an urgent basis. The truth is that despite the results we have been exposed at the back time and time again in our recent matches, opposing forwards getting in behind our back line with ease - whether it be 4 or 5 defenders, and it was the same last night - Perth could have wrapped up the game by half-time. Jaliens and Safuwan get a mention above - as they should; both offered a lot more than Hughes does. I still think JvS will be under close scrutiny - whatever our position - at the end of this season in terms of the way he has managed the squad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Melbournehammer said:

Our expectations have been set by the results, not the manner of the performances. We were battered by victory, Brisbane and Wanderers for large parts of each game and simply couldn't retain possession when under pressure. It's great to have outstanding strikers who can make the most of limited opportunities, but every game we look like we could ship goals. 

The he results not unexpected in my mind.

Agree with this, I actually think the outcome was comparatively a good result for us. All the usual Heart/City characteristics were there during the game and as usual we didn't have a plan or ability to take advantage of an extra man, we actually played quite conservatively, almost expecting the last minute sucker punch concession of a late goal. We struggle against teams that play direct football against us or teams that play with width, both characteristics of this Perth team. It was really crucial that we didn't lose this game, but our lack of ambition really reflects our defensive frailty. 

We won't be winning the Premiers Plate or the Championship with a defence like this, and an ACL appearance with this defence would be embarrassing.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Mooy's workrate without the ball has really dropped off in the past month or so. He seems to just cruise around in behind Bruno and once the defence move the ball forward we're easily stretched with Novillo surprisingly working back more than Mooy in defence. If you're playing a 3-5-2 you need all 3 central midfielders to get behind the ball quickly or everyone gets shifted out of shape covering if the opposition look for the overload out wide.

• Like 2

Didnt get to watch the game, but really disappointed by the result and going by the comments our performance was disappointing too. Not a total disaster but considering all the other results were exactly what we hoped for, its very very frustrating.  

Edited by KSK_47