Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

I'm bullish we can break 5k.A lot of people will be keen to see what we look like with a squad closer to full strength. Also, the AFL season is virtually over for 10 clubs in a fortnight, so soccer interest will have built up a bit.

In saying that, anything above 4k is a reasonable result.

Edited by bt50

Id be curious to know how much the new marketing head had a say in this outcome

It's kind of bemusing that it'd even take a new marketing head to realise "oh shit, Melbourne City members want the game to be played at the home ground, and they like being rewarded for loyalty!" 

I just find it funny that we're applauding the decision as though it was the bravest and most honourable thing ever done when in reality, it's basic Marketing 101 principles. Goes to show how awful the club's fan engagement has been throughout history tbh.

• Like 5

It's kind of bemusing that it'd even take a new marketing head to realise "oh shit, Melbourne City members want the game to be played at the home ground, and they like being rewarded for loyalty!" 
I just find it funny that we're applauding the decision as though it was the bravest and most honourable thing ever done when in reality, it's basic Marketing 101 principles. Goes to show how awful the club's fan engagement has been throughout history tbh.

One article I came across today shows that it was a close-run thing - we were in negotiations to play again in Ballarat before those plans were abandoned. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-abandon-plans-to-play-ffa-cup-clash-in-regional-victoria/story-fnk6rlg0-1227483220315

What interests me now is what marketing the club will do to get as many people along to the game as they can, and how effective their efforts will be. Obviously free entry for members is one tactic, and no reserved seats is another. $25 adult entry is not bad (the entry to Oakleigh on Tuesday night was $20 with a concession getting you in for $15 - and there were some grumbles in the queue about those charges).

I've thought for some time that we could reduce the costs of season-tickets by having only the better matches as "all-ticket" and the lesser ones as all GA which is effectively what this one is. You really only need reserved seats as the crowds start to build towards about 70% of the stadium capacity.

Not sure if this has been answered or discussed, but what is the reward for winning the FFA Cup in relation to ACL qualification? There was some general chatter towards the end of last seasons tournament that future winners will be given a chance to qualify for the ACL in the earlier stages but no real developments were made. Does any one know what the latest is in regards to ACL qualification and the overall reward is for winning the cup? 

Not sure if this has been answered or discussed, but what is the reward for winning the FFA Cup in relation to ACL qualification? There was some general chatter towards the end of last seasons tournament that future winners will be given a chance to qualify for the ACL in the earlier stages but no real developments were made. Does any one know what the latest is in regards to ACL qualification and the overall reward is for winning the cup? 

Does not qualify the winner for anything in the ACL context. Prizemoney discussed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FFA_Cup - peanuts for an A-League club, but more useful for a non-league club.

It might seem an obvious call from the fans' perspective, but kudos to the club for booking AAMI Park for this FFA Cup clash. There may not be a real financial payoff in the short-run with this decision, but I believe decisions like this help build the club and will payoff in the long-run.

well we are Melbourne City it would just be a further embarrassment if we played somewhere outside the city in some peasant town...

well we are Melbourne City it would just be a further embarrassment if we played somewhere outside the city in some peasant town...

What defines a peasant town?

Are they like owned by some kind of Noble or something and the citizens all toil the earth to enrich his wealth?

As I was unaware that such places existed in Victoria.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Are they like owned by some kind of Noble or something and the citizens all toil the earth to enrich his wealth?

you'd be amazed anything north of gisborne is held by an oligarchy of feudal lords and all of the locals are tied to the land, just ask BT50

• Like 3

I just can't believe that Robert Doyle doesn't live in a castle.

The Baillieu's do have their compound in Portsea (My brother has been there once) I think that is the closest you are going to get to a Family Castle in this state or perhaps the Pratt's Mansion in Kew... which was originally the residence of the Archbishop until the church sold it off.

Edited by cadete

The Baillieu's do have their compound in Portsea (My brother has been there once) I think that is the closest you are going to get to a Family Castle in this state or perhaps the Pratt's Mansion in Kew... which was originally the residence of the Archbishop until the church sold it off.

http://m.news.domain.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/five-australian-castles-you-can-buy-right-now-20150805-gir7k0.html

• Like 1

Yes, you may call them serfs. Why put on a spectacle for the serfs when the noble people of Melbourne city are yearning to see their team. 

what's the go with memberships and entry?

Club said via Twitter that the details of precisely how the free entry will work will be released early this week.

E-mail just received from club:

Ticket Details:

You will receive your ticket as a PDF via email on Friday 21st August and you’ll need to PRINT your e-ticket and bring it with you on match day.  Please note, your ticket will be for General Admission access. Seats will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. 

Westfield FFA Cup Round of 16
Melbourne City FC vs. Wellington Phoenix
Venue:
AAMI Park
Date: Wednesday 26 August
Gates Open: 7pm
Kick-off: 7.30pm
Access: Gate 7, Western side   

Edited by jw1739
Updated with latest information

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic