Melbourne Football

WSW vs Melbourne City Friday 7:40 3rd April

Baka1

It will be interesting if Melling is fit enough to return this week.

This is the side I would like to see

Velaphi

Safuwan

Jaliens

Paddy

Clisby

Retre

Melling (if not available then Germano)

Mooy

Williams

Koren (more as a false nine)

Novillo

Subs:

Redmayne

Germano (if Melling is fit, otherwise he starts, then Paartalu comes in on the bench)

Murdocca

Kennendy

Ramsay

I know my selections will raise a few eyebrows, but I believe that we need to change things about a bit. One to refresh the side, the other to ensure we don't push certain players too much for fear of them getting injured.

Therefore the only change I would make in the back four would be to bring Saf into the RB position. Retre has done well there, but it isn't his best position. However, I would like to see him playing in Paartalu's role as IMO Erik is struggling to make an impact.

It would be nice to see Melling back, and if this happens then I would have Germano on the bench, just to ensure we don't over do it with him. Of course, if Melling isn't fit then Germano would play.

Finally, I know Kennedy started and was responsible for the goal against Brisbane. However, I believe for this game it would be better for him to come off the bench where he may get more room against tiring legs. With no other recognised striker, I would allow Koren a free role to see if he could make an impact with Novillo and Williams using their pace in the wide positions.

In no way does Retre deserve a run in CDM ahead of Germano. We've seen him play there several times and he was average at best. Germano has been fantastic the last few weeks whereas Retre has been serviceable at right back.
  • Like 3

Personally I'd be ultra conservative re: Melling. In fact, I'd be leaning toward putting him out to pasture until next season. This guy is the future of our club, playing finals is great but deep down we all know that with this season's squad we'll get pantsed if we jag 6th spot and play the 3rd placed side.

I'd only play him if his op was 100% successful with no rehabilitation setbacks, given the original timeframe was 3-4 weeks and he's still out of action imo it's not worth the risk. He's too young (and too good) to rush back.

Personally I'd be ultra conservative re: Melling. In fact, I'd be leaning toward putting him out to pasture until next season. This guy is the future of our club, playing finals is great but deep down we all know that with this season's squad we'll get pantsed if we jag 6th spot and play the 3rd placed side.

I'd only play him if his op was 100% successful with no rehabilitation setbacks, given the original timeframe was 3-4 weeks and he's still out of action imo it's not worth the risk. He's too young (and too good) to rush back.

Agree with this tbh, would rather we sit him out and unleash him next year. Kids a fucking animal and would rather we managed him with a bit of caution so that come October he hits the ground running.

Keep the defence and midfield the same as it was against Brisbane since there were no problems there and swap the front 3 out for Williams, Ramsay and Novillo. 

Kennedy to come off the bench.

No problems in our midfield against Brisbane? I thought we got hammered in there by them, especially the more the game went on.

• Like 3

Keep the defence and midfield the same as it was against Brisbane since there were no problems there and swap the front 3 out for Williams, Ramsay and Novillo. 

Kennedy to come off the bench.

Well Nate I think we struggled in midfield, especially after half time. I believe we need more mobility in there and that is why I would move Koren and leave Paartalu out.

I'm not understanding the questions raised about Paartalu.

Sure he might not be his former self at the moment, but as a holding midfielder focusing only on defending for the most part, a lot of your work goes unnoticed particularly since it is off the ball. 

Our squad ATM is full of arielly-challenged midgets with the exception of Jaliens, Norbo, Paarty and Kennedy. Take Kennedy and Paarty out and you can almost wave goodbye to set pieces.

• Like 1

Sure he might not be his former self at the moment, but as a holding midfielder focusing only on defending for the most part, a lot of your work goes unnoticed particularly since it is off the ball. 

Our squad ATM is full of arielly-challenged midgets with the exception of Jaliens, Norbo, Paarty and Kennedy. Take Kennedy and Paarty out and you can almost wave goodbye to set pieces.

Unfortunately I have only seen Paartalu since he came to us. I was expecting big things from him because a lot of posters on here were raving about him. I was hoping he would live up to the high expectations when he arrived. Overall I believe he has struggled in the A League. There was a period of 4 games prior to his injury where he seemed to be improving and scored a couple of goals. However, since his return from injury he has struggled with his mobility and ability to protect the defence.

It could be that a good pre-season will help him next season. I hope this is the case. However, I believe he needs to earn his starting position for the rest of the season.

As for your fears about having little height, I don't think it's such a great concern. I don't see big, strong players dominating this league. I see quick, nimble footed players standing out this season so far.

Well if Mooy is definitely out then Germano will play. If this is the case and Melling isn't fit, then I would have Murdocca and Retre alongside Germano.

Wot

Read strider re: paartalu

Dylan I quoted Strider's post above

I believe too many posters have rose tinted glasses on when talking about Paartalu.

I would prefer to be saying good things about him, but he has been the worst player in the last 4 or 5 games.

He is simply not protecting the back four. We may have kept clean sheets in the last three, but that isn't down to Paartalu

Well if Mooy is definitely out then Germano will play. If this is the case and Melling isn't fit, then I would have Murdocca and Retre alongside Germano.

Wot

Read strider re: paartalu Without seeming to be rude I certainly don't read strider's posts for football opinions. Now if I wanted a view on any Tatts Paartalu might have....

• Like 1

I dont always agree with you but you are right... his not playing brilliantly but half the blokes job is about what he does off the ball in forming a wall and covering space in front of our defence.

If anyone wants to see what a side looks like without a DM at least capable of doing just this then they can watch something like seven goals we conceded last season prior to Orlando where the opposition would just stroll through Central Midfield and score just inside the box with Redders standing their flat footed on his line.  

From memory I think a game against Newcastle up there stands up as the best example of this occuring.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Wot

Read strider re: paartaluWithout seeming to be rude I certainly don't read strider's posts for football opinions. Now if I wanted a view on any Tatts Paartalu might have....

What he said about paartalu is correct.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad:  1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6. Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robert KOREN, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16. Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO, 27.Kew JALIENS

***one to be omitted***

Ins:  6. Aaron MOOY (returns from international duty)

Outs:  14.James BROWN (foot – six weeks)

Unavailable:  3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 2 weeks), 4.Connor CHAPMAN (suspended – 1 match), 11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite), 14.James BROWN (foot – 6 weeks), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 7 weeks), 25.Jacob MELLING (knee – 1 week)

This was supposed to be the last match in his three-month loan. So I wonder what happens now? Hope to goodness we're not going to let him slip through our fingers.

Signed till end of April, extension if we make finals. No news on next season deal.

Wot

Read strider re: paartalu Without seeming to be rude I certainly don't read strider's posts for football opinions. Now if I wanted a view on any Tatts Paartalu might have....

What he said about paartalu is correct.

True.   

• Like 1

Your saying we'll lose every game from here on in?

High possibility. We generally tend to play poorly against WS, we aren't going to beat high flying Wellington and, we don't travel well to Perth or Adelaide.

Edit: It also fits the 'Heart' narrative of us bottling it and we also tend to have a weak run in to the end of the season.

Edited by malloy

The thought that we can't even scrape a draw from four matches for me is a low possibility. In all probability we will be playing a Perth team with many distractions off the pitch and an Adelaide team we have always been competitive with. Plus our record at home will be in our favour when we play Wellington.