Melbourne Football

The Kew Jaliens thread

kingofhearts

So does that therefore means that Archibalds cards are marked and he plays out his time in the youth team and once he reaches the cut off age he is then released. I know for every Chapman or Goode there are probably 10 Archibalds. Its just disappointing and a little frustrating that we seem to get more duds than guns. Really don't know what the answer is but just thought id put it out there .

Also whats going on its Thursday past 10am.

not necessarily. time is on his side.

im all for giving youth a go, but not for the sake of it. Archibald needs to earn his spot in the side like the rest of the squad.

So does that therefore means that Archibalds cards are marked and he plays out his time in the youth team and once he reaches the cut off age he is then released. I know for every Chapman or Goode there are probably 10 Archibalds. Its just disappointing and a little frustrating that we seem to get more duds than guns. Really don't know what the answer is but just thought id put it out there .

Sorry dont mean to be rude but the answer is pretty simple: That's Soccer (And AFL and NRL as well TBH) as there are thousands of more stories about players who have could have made it than there of those that did... I am sure you personally know some PPL with these stories.

I think you will find the strike rate of young A-League's who actually go on from playing more than ten games is pretty low all over the entire league.

No A-League club is ever going to become a title contender by focusing on #youth... the league is just not structured that way because of where we stand on the Global Soccer Feudal System.

Every club knows this and therefore pretty much uses the same method to try achieving Ultimate Success which with some variation goes as follows:

1. Hoping their Marquee, International Roster Players/Returning Ex Pats stay as injury free as possible and fast enough for the league.

(Think Duff, Koren, Kisnorbo, Germano)

2. Hoping that their Middle Tier Australian's can overcome their skill/creativity issues enough to be better than the other clubs Middle Tier players.

(Think Williams, Duga, Hoffman)

3. Hoping that they do have some Young Players that can develop fast and well enough to stay around long enough for the club to succeed before heading overseas. (Think Meiling, Gooch, Chapman)

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Lets wait and see if he is included in this weeks squad.

Would be interested to see - as it may give us an indication on the clubs belief in the current squad - and their belief in our youth structure.

What would it look like if our club decided on 35 y/o Jaliens to play CB, rather than our youth captain Archibald?

Reply:

"What would it look like if our club decided on 35 y/o Jaliens to play CB, rather than our youth captain Archibald?"

Very easy to answer.

This is what it looks like:

The club prefers to play a 36 year old, even though he is well past his best, as he has played 15 internationals for Holland, and was captain of another A League side earlier this season

in preference to a younger player who was hopelessly out of his depth when played in the A League this season.

• Like 1

Sorry dont mean to be rude but the answer is pretty simple: That's Soccer (And AFL and NRL as well TBH) as there are thousands of more stories about players who have could have made it than there of those that did... I am sure you personally know some PPL with these stories.

I think you will find the strike rate of young A-League's who actually go on from playing more than ten games is pretty low all over the entire league.

No A-League club is ever going to become a title contender by focusing on #youth... the league is just not structured that way because of where we stand on the Global Soccer Feudal System.

Every club knows this and therefore pretty much uses the same method to try achieving Ultimate Success which with some variation goes as follows:

1. Hoping their Marquee, International Roster Players/Returning Ex Pats stay as injury free as possible and fast enough for the league.

2. Hoping that their Middle Tier Australian's can overcome their skill/creativity issues enough to be better than the other clubs Middle Tier players.

3. Hoping that they do have some Young Players that can develop fast and well enough to stay around long enough for the club to succeed before heading overseas. (Think Meiling, Gooch, Chapman)

Agree with all that. Just want us to be the club that bucks the trend. Little like Southampton sort off.

Also that wasn't rude at all. Actually un Cadete like.

Lets wait and see if he is included in this weeks squad.

Would be interested to see - as it may give us an indication on the clubs belief in the current squad - and their belief in our youth structure.

What would it look like if our club decided on 35 y/o Jaliens to play CB, rather than our youth captain Archibald?

..well why else would they sign him as a short term replacement, to not play him? So we'd have cover if we get more injuries or suspensions. Why else would we want a washed up player who was the leading contender for the "Jardel Medal" this season?

• Like 1

Why would you condemn a player after a few bad games. He's young. He'll make mistakes. We just need to blood some of the players in games where the result may not necessarily be in contention. Not everyone can make it at an early age like say a Rooney.

And making mistakes in his position are more obvious than the ones in front of him whose errors go unnoticed due to the "star phenomenon".

So is Jaliens just insurance? Last week in the starting line were Baharudin, Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby. If Paartalau is fit then where would Jaliens play? And TBH I don't think that Jaliens would be a replacement for Paartalau as he is meant to be a replacement for Wieleart. I can only presume that Chapmen gets pushed up field to replace Paartalau and Jaliens replaces Chapman or Jaliens is on the bench.

Why would you condemn a player after a few bad games. He's young. He'll make mistakes. We just need to blood some of the players in games where the result may not necessarily be in contention. Not everyone can make it at an early age like say a Rooney.

And making mistakes in his position are more obvious than the ones in front of him whose errors go unnoticed due to the "star phenomenon".

Remember Melling and Goodwin????

Both rejected at Adelaide - both gone on to become very good players.

Sporanavic was another who was hand-balled until he found his place.

I prefer a kid to make a mistake than a 35 y/o  (alla Miller).

For me the problem with Jaliens (aside from some of his skills) is his attitude. After a loss early in the season immediately after the match live cross to him, he said 'don't look at me, I'm doing what I have been asked to do'. For a senior player and captain of his team to say things like that was a sackable offence (hey what a surprise). This club does not need any more shit attitudes within the playing squad.

The unforgivable red card and subsequent suspension, I believe in the very next game, was fairly special stuff from a captain of a battling club, as well.

I don't like him at all from what I've seen, but if he has to earn his spot, I guess we could do worse.

Theres no time to make mistakes when you're battling just to get 6th place in the finals. He's had a taste of senior action this season already, i wouldn't play him again this season if possible and give him a go next season.

Agree with all that. Just want us to be the club that bucks the trend. Little like Southampton sort off.

We are bucking a trend. We have rich owners and a shit team.

• Like 2

We are bucking a trend. We have rich owners and a shit team.

better than shit owners & a shit team :D

Unfortunately Ross has a glaring lack of pace when he is isolated.

When you lack pace you need to be able to read the game better than the opponent, so has to be a step ahead of him.

I would give him more time in the youth team for the moment and hope he can come through after a while.

Silva,

In the UK, how long do youth players have to establish themselves in the appropriate level. I imagine that all EPL sides have youth academies and maybe some Championship sides. So they hire a 16 yo, how long does he have before he gets loaned or released to a lower league club?

City won the FA Youth Cup in 2008, and there was 8 players in that side who where at the club since they were 8. That happens to be also the year  the Sheik took us over.

Three of those players went on to play first team football, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson and Danny Sturridge (I don't think anyone else did).

All those players joined City around 14 years of age.

They usually start to loan players out at 18. Sometimes players can stay until 21 or 22 before they are released.

There is no definite age at when is the best time to get hold of a player, but I think around 14 to 18 has in the past been the prime time.

• Like 1

So is Jaliens just insurance? Last week in the starting line were Baharudin, Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby. If Paartalau is fit then where would Jaliens play? And TBH I don't think that Jaliens would be a replacement for Paartalau as he is meant to be a replacement for Wieleart. I can only presume that Chapmen gets pushed up field to replace Paartalau and Jaliens replaces Chapman or Jaliens is on the bench.

That's what Paartalu seemed to indicate in his radio interview the other day, Jaliens is more of a backup/depth option for the bench rather than for the starting lineup

Would not be suprised at all to see him take Kisnorbo's spot

Would be speechless for a week. There is a reason why Charlie Yankos isn't still in the Socceroos and that ADP doesn't play for Italy anymore.

And its got nothing to do with the size of their nose.

I'd say it's a combination of many things. Coaching and recruitment being the biggest two.

BT, I don't care how well credentialed a player is tbh. How many titles did Del Piero win for Sydney? The man had his own private locker room FFS. I hate using the word, but he did absolutely nothing for the culture at Sydney.

How well credentialed was Berisha? Carrusca? Flores? Keogh? Cirio? These are guys who were signed in the prime of their careers, who had/have the ability to enhance their respective sides for multiple seasons, and are still desperate for success.

If you do your homework, which most of those "unlucky" sides clearly didn't, then the risk really isn't that great. I'm not a great believer in luck, and I don't think there is much of it at all involved with recruiting successful imports. If that were the case, Adelaide, Victory etc must be some the luckiest sides of all time.

With all due respect, you don't know that.

Berisha was sitting on the bench, behind Tadic in the pecking order before he came here. You can't tell me that before either was signed you'd recruit Berisha over Tadic, considering they were of a similar age profile.

Im not being an apologist for our recruiting over the first four seasons. The fact we repeatedly signed duds cant be blamed on luck. All i'm saying is there is no such thing as a sure bet.

Also, im pretty sure the Del Piero locker thing wasn't true...

Was confirmed by arnold

I'd say it's a combination of many things. Coaching and recruitment being the biggest two.

BT, I don't care how well credentialed a player is tbh. How many titles did Del Piero win for Sydney? The man had his own private locker room FFS. I hate using the word, but he did absolutely nothing for the culture at Sydney.

How well credentialed was Berisha? Carrusca? Flores? Keogh? Cirio? These are guys who were signed in the prime of their careers, who had/have the ability to enhance their respective sides for multiple seasons, and are still desperate for success.

If you do your homework, which most of those "unlucky" sides clearly didn't, then the risk really isn't that great. I'm not a great believer in luck, and I don't think there is much of it at all involved with recruiting successful imports. If that were the case, Adelaide, Victory etc must be some the luckiest sides of all time.

With all due respect, you don't know that.

Berisha was sitting on the bench, behind Tadic in the pecking order before he came here. You can't tell me that before either was signed you'd recruit Berisha over Tadic, considering they were of a similar age profile.

Im not being an apologist for our recruiting over the first four seasons. The fact we repeatedly signed duds cant be blamed on luck. All i'm saying is there is no such thing as a sure bet.

Also, im pretty sure the Del Piero locker thing wasn't true...

Was confirmed by arnold

Obviously false then.

Though it was only one game, seems Jaliens might make a lot of the critics in here look a little silly. Hope someone stays injured for the rest of the season so we can keep him...

Don't understand why we dropped Safuwan who was my MOM last match. Having said that though I thought Jaliens played pretty well today and was streets ahead of the no hoper I saw at Newcastle this season.

Credit where credit is due.