Melbourne Football

Round 17: City v. Phoenix, Lower Hutt., 14 Feb, KO 3.00 p.m. AEST

jw1739

The stark reality of the situation is that to finish fourth in the league we're going to need 40-41 points, and to finish 6th 34-38 points depending on how other results go.

So we've got just 12 matches to get an absolute minimum of 15 points, and 22 points if we aspire to a home final.

Any loss from here on in is another nail in our coffin for this season. The remainder of this season is going to say whether as a club we have the balls to reward our loyal supporters or not. Whether we've got the determination. Whether we're prepared to put in the commitment and the effort.

No more excuses.

• Like 1

The stark reality of the situation is that to finish fourth in the league we're going to need 40-41 points, and to finish 6th 34-38 points depending on how other results go.

So we've got just 12 matches to get an absolute minimum of 15 points, and 22 points if we aspire to a home final.

Any loss from here on in is another nail in our coffin for this season. The remainder of this season is going to say whether as a club we have the balls to reward our loyal supporters or not. Whether we've got the determination. Whether we're prepared to put in the commitment and the effort.

No more excuses.

You are going to be disappointed. Somehow the club will manage to lose enough games to maybe scrape into the 6. I take it from a different angle: what needs to improve. So far this season I went from thinking that JVS will be able to do the job to the point where if he left the club (in whatever terms) I won't be fussed. Some players have been disappointing in particular Williams who went last season from being a contender for the A-League  golden boot to perhaps he needs the boot. Kisnorbo needs to retire as do a few more players. So for me what counts now is who is released at contracts end and who can be brought in. And not all players can be replaced with a visa player either although there are four spots available.

My money is on Williams getting into a great position only to blast it into the top tier.

I don't think there's a top tier at the Hutt Recreation Ground is there?

10478640.jpg

Those mountains would look tempting to him

Why do stadiums with mountain backdrops always look so cool?

My money is on Williams getting into a great position only to blast it into the top tier.

I don't think there's a top tier at the Hutt Recreation Ground is there?10478640.jpg

Those mountains would look tempting to himWhy do stadiums with mountain backdrops always look so cool? Mountains?! Having lived in NZ those are little hills to them.

You are spot on though looks great.

Edited by thisphantomfortress

If we are to get anything out of this game, we will need everyone on their game.

If Paartalu isn't fit then maybe Koren should play as the deepest midfielder. His passing is excellent and you can shield the back four without having to win every tackle. I much prefer it when both Mooy and Melling push forward.

Velaphi

hoffman chapman Kisnorbo Clisby

Melling

Mass Mooy

Duff Koren Williams

Subs:

Safuwan Redmayne Kennedy Ramsay Retre

Squad is super thin at the moment. Play Mass who can harass players if nothing else and try play for a draw and hope Duff, Mooy or Koren can pull something out of their arse. Why the hell we didn't play Melling at DM instead of the Marketing experiment, Safuwan, last week is beyond me.

If any of our injured players are back fit then they come in for Ramsay (mate, brown, Garruccio) or Retre (paartalu, Germano) . Either way we'll need the rub of the green to go our way if we are to get anything from the game.

• Like 1

My take, at this point of the season is to just wait and see, let the situation play out. We all no coaches, players and staff included that if we don't make finals massive changes will occur both with the playing list, coaching staff and back room staff.

I'm not going to predict anymore what the outcome of each game will be... What we will see is the pressure on everyone at the club start to rise if we continue to lose. Given we have Brisbane and CCM breathing down our necks for that 6th spot, I can imagine a few dirty looks and friendships stretched if we fall out of the 6.

JVS knows the writing is on the wall and our next 3 games will be the biggest test for everyone at the club.

It doesn't look like this game is on BT Sports...so can anyone tell me what time kick off is and maybe supply a link to watch it on?

I think like everyone else I haven't a clue how this team is going to go forward from here. 

I wouldn't continue with Koren up front though, as it isn't working. Somehow we need to get him in a position where he can influence the game more. I have suggested in front of the back four because he can pass the ball around and hopefully bring others into the game.

Of course he may not be the best tackler, but you can position yourself to deny the opposition the space to thread balls through. Also with Melling alongside him, hopefully it will mean us controlling the game. This would also allow Mooy to play in a more advanced role.

I think the biggest problem is the moment is up front. Obviosuly Duff takes a position, but the question is do we give Kennedy a start and see if he how long he can last. That would be my preferred option. I would also be looking at Espidola and Dekker as being ion the squad. How bad do we have to be before giving others a chance.

On the defence I would definitely drop Redmayne and have Stevanja in. If Germano is fit then play him instead of Hoffman.

So this is the team I would be inclined to play

Stevanja

Germano

Chapman

Kisnorbo

Clisby

Koren

Melling 

Mooy

Dekker

Kennedy

Duff

Subs

Redmayne

Safuwan

Murdocca

Williams

Espindola

I would give Kisnorbo one last chance and have Safuwan on the bench

It will be interesting to see what JVS will choose to do.....most likely bury his head in the sand and go with the same players who have continually failed him.

Oh! I am assuming Paartalu is still injured....if not then I would play him and maybe push Mooy out to the left where he can drift in from and maybe cause Wellington more problems than they expect.

Edited by silva10

Wouldn't mind seeing this...Kennedy and Duff can swap sides if they like ;-)

1200920_Melbourne_Heart_FC.jpg

I don't think Velaphi is fit. 

I assume Kennedy and Duff would be playing forward of the midfield diamond? I would prefer Mooy on the left and Melling on the right.

If Paartalu is not fit then maybe play Koren deep....Mooy at the tip with Duff dropping into the diamond and Williams playing as one of the forward players.

When you look at that there's not too much wrong with the starting XI - but we've got almost nothing on the bench except Williams. Our squad has no depth whatsoever, and that's why injuries repeatedly cruel us. Other clubs are able to bring on defensive strength or attacking fire-power as required, but not us.

• Like 1

I just looked back at a few statistics. Since the league reverted to 10 clubs...

In 2011/12 after round 16 we were in 3rd place, and finished the season in 6th;

In 2012/13 after round 16 we were in 7th place, and finished the season in 9th; and

In 2013/14 after round 16 we were in 10th place, and finished the season in 10th.

Velaphi trained today so hopefully plays.

Really want to see Koren play the traditional no.10 role behind Kennedy, have to play to our strengths which means switching from the 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 but highly doubt JvS can do that successfully.

Hey mate, did Chapman and Paartalu train with the main group today?

So Paartalu out for atleast another week, Velaphi training but will have a fitness test before the game, Kennedy getting fitter but proberly won't start, even though Germano played in the youth game he will also need a fitness test for an Achilles injury.

Sources:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/kisnorbo-no-time-mope-ahead-phoenix-clash

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/vant-schip-relishing-opportunity-to-match-it-with-the-best/m86dt1f84ppc1d6sugbzj79u6

Edited by haz

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 25.Jacob MELLING, 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN, 40.Marko STEVANJA (GK)

***one to be omitted***

Ins: Tando VELAPHI (GK) :up:

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (knee – 1-2 weeks), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 2-3 weeks), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC (knee – 1-2 weeks)

[No mention of Paartalu or Germano]

Edited by Red or Dead

Velaphi trained today so hopefully plays.

Really want to see Koren play the traditional no.10 role behind Kennedy, have to play to our strengths which means switching from the 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 but highly doubt JvS can do that successfully.

Hey mate, did Chapman and Paartalu train with the main group today?

Erik no, Chapman yes.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 25.Jacob MELLING, 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN, 40.Marko STEVANJA (GK)

***one to be omitted***

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (knee – 1-2 weeks), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 2-3 weeks), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC (knee – 1-2 weeks)

As we've said before, the squad is pretty much everyone left standing.

Injury list: Wielaert, Brown, Garuccio, Dugandzic, Paartalu, Germano, Mauk, Marino.

A shambles as it stands, but I don't take too much notice of these squads. It could all change by kick-off.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 25.Jacob MELLING, 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN, 40.Marko STEVANJA (GK)

***one to be omitted***

Ins: Tando VELAPHI (GK) :up:

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (knee – 1-2 weeks), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 2-3 weeks), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC (knee – 1-2 weeks)

Has Ben Garuccio's injury been increased by another week? I'm sure it was 2-3 weeks before the Derby. Edited by haz

***one to be omitted***

Injury list: Wielaert, Brown, Garuccio, Dugandzic, Paartalu, Germano, Mauk, Marino.

A shambles as it stands, but I don't take too much notice of these squads. It could all change by kick-off.

They'll think twice next time about sending the whole squad on a 14 hour flight to a desert for a two week training camp, aye!?!

***one to be omitted***

They'll think twice next time about sending the whole squad on a 14 hour flight to a desert for a two week training camp, aye!?!

At least they got some selfies with the Citeh players so not a total loss :rolleyes: