Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-race-to-find-a-striker-before-transfer-window-closes/news-story/8b940f5c6a3024aee9594545820c94c5

City’s striker search has taken on a whole lot more significance with the deal to sign West Brom’s Irish attacker Wes Hoolahan collapsing on Wednesday. Also says Jmac deal is in the balance and far from finalised 

So from where I see it, and what I said all along. Hibs are happy to let maclaren go, we are happy to take him. But Darmstadt own him and they don't want to just release him. Just pay the transfer fee CFG, it won't be that much. Maybe 1 million tops 

It will go down to the wire

30 minutes ago, neio said:

So from where I see it, and what I said all along. Hibs are happy to let maclaren go, we are happy to take him. But Darmstadt own him and they don't want to just release him. Just pay the transfer fee CFG, it won't be that much. Maybe 1 million tops 

It will go down to the wire

Mate if we have a budget of a mill surely we’d have a better signing lined up than young Jamie.

seriously Jamie’s form post Brisbane is not going to generate any sort of fee. Darmstadt are kidding themselves.

no dramas though, “a professional outfit like CFG will have more than one iron in the fire”

Melbourne City nab Jamie Maclaren hours ahed of transfer window closing

David Davutovic, Herald Sun

25 minutes ago Subscriber only

Melbourne City has finally secured the services of Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren with less than 24 hours to spare in the January transfer window after a tense night of negotiations. Maclaren’s Scottish club Hibernian agreed to release him from his season-long loan from Germans Darmstadt Wednesday night, enabling City to sign him before the A-League transfer window deadline closes at midnight Thursday. City have got the deal done to sign striker Jamie Maclaren. Picture: AFP Photo City had Brisbane Roar striker Adam Taggart on standby, and were ready to launch an offer for him in the event that the Maclaren deal fell through. But Hibs finally terminated Maclaren’s season-long loan, with the Melbourne born and bred player setting his sights on a return home having played for interstate clubs Perth Glory and Brisbane Roar. But the potential of an Aaron Mooy-style pathway back to Europe via City Football Group’s connections was also enticing for Maclaren, who spent four years with Blackburn Rovers’ youth team. Roar striker Taggart was City’s fallback option if the Maclaren deal could not be finalised. Picture: Getty Images City’s striker search took on greater significance with the deal to sign West Brom’s Irish attacker Wes Hoolahan, 36, collapsing. Hoolahan, 36, spent 10 years at Norwich City and played 43 games for the Irish national team. He was due to replace departed Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran. Maclaren’s Asian Cup commitments and the shock departure of Hibs boss Neil Lennon saw the deal go down to the wire, which left the door ajar for the Taggart approach. Maclaren fills one of two vacant spots on the roster inside the salary cap, after O’Halloran and Osama Malik departed in January. He will be promoted to marquee status next season in a multi-year deal. City was hoping to make one more signing, most likely a visa attacker, before Thursday night’s deadline, although they do not have a lot of cap space to work with. It is unclear whether Maclaren will be ready for Sunday’s six-point clash away to Sydney FC, as he will arrive in Australia on Friday at the earliest. But he will almost certainly start in the Round 18 home clash against Adelaide United on Saturday week. Maclaren scored his first Socceroos goal at the Asian Cup and has netted nine in 38 games with Darmstadt and Hibernian since leaving Brisbane Strikers 18 months ago. He scored 51 goals for Glory and Brisbane, including an impressive 43 in 59 games at Roar.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Melbourne City has finally secured the services of Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren with less than 24 hours to spare in the January transfer window after a tense night of negotiations. Maclaren’s Scottish club Hibernian agreed to release him from his season-long loan from Germans Darmstadt Wednesday night, enabling City to sign him before the A-League transfer window deadline closes at midnight Thursday. City have got the deal done to sign striker Jamie Maclaren. Picture: AFP Photo City had Brisbane Roar striker Adam Taggart on standby, and were ready to launch an offer for him in the event that the Maclaren deal fell through. But Hibs finally terminated Maclaren’s season-long loan, with the Melbourne born and bred player setting his sights on a return home having played for interstate clubs Perth Glory and Brisbane Roar. But the potential of an Aaron Mooy-style pathway back to Europe via City Football Group’s connections was also enticing for Maclaren, who spent four years with Blackburn Rovers’ youth team. Roar striker Taggart was City’s fallback option if the Maclaren deal could not be finalised. Picture: Getty Images City’s striker search took on greater significance with the deal to sign West Brom’s Irish attacker Wes Hoolahan, 36, collapsing. Hoolahan, 36, spent 10 years at Norwich City and played 43 games for the Irish national team. He was due to replace departed Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran. Maclaren’s Asian Cup commitments and the shock departure of Hibs boss Neil Lennon saw the deal go down to the wire, which left the door ajar for the Taggart approach. Maclaren fills one of two vacant spots on the roster inside the salary cap, after O’Halloran and Osama Malik departed in January. He will be promoted to marquee status next season in a multi-year deal. City was hoping to make one more signing, most likely a visa attacker, before Thursday night’s deadline, although they do not have a lot of cap space to work with. It is unclear whether Maclaren will be ready for Sunday’s six-point clash away to Sydney FC, as he will arrive in Australia on Friday at the earliest. But he will almost certainly start in the Round 18 home clash against Adelaide United on Saturday week. Maclaren scored his first Socceroos goal at the Asian Cup and has netted nine in 38 games with Darmstadt and Hibernian since leaving Brisbane Strikers 18 months ago. He scored 51 goals for Glory and Brisbane, including an impressive 43 in 59 games at Roar.

Get in. Now let's see what other business we can do before midnight. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

He would be very welcome at this stage.

I'm not a supporter of making him Marquee, it's almost like we are so desperate that we just throw all we got at him to get him here. Our so called scouting network is none existing if Taggart was our plan B. The plan was to get any Australian striker under 30 who's scored more than 10 goals a season in the A-League. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Cheers - but it looks like they have just pulled that article off the HUN app... 

9 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

People need to get used to City splashing their cash mainly on the best available Australian players with further potential ... i reckon this is their long term plan, and they will do this by going after the best young kids, and also the Maclaren types ... 

Yep, agree - especially with the best Aus talent. As I said before, forget the Asian Cup and look at what Maclaren is - a starting Socceroo. That's pretty impressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I'm not a supporter of making him Marquee, it's almost like we are so desperate that we just throw all we got at him to get him here. Our so called scouting network is none existing if Taggart was our plan B. The plan was to get any Australian striker under 30 who's scored more than 10 goals a season in the A-League. 

*Youngish strikers that could be sold for a profit in a few seasons

(Yes I know Jmac would be on loan)

17 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

People need to get used to City splashing their cash mainly on the best available Australian players with further potential ... i reckon this is their long term plan, and they will do this by going after the best young kids, and also the Maclaren types ... 

And then ending up 4th in the league every year? Because our competition doesn't have the same approach. 

I would like them to splash cash at best available players with potential, regardless of the nationality - all this to win as many throphies as we can and to become a successful football club.  

1 minute ago, rass said:

Yep, agree - especially with the best Aus talent. As I said before, forget the Asian Cup and look at what Maclaren is - a starting Socceroo. That's pretty impressive.

I get that and would agree if Australia was the only nationality I could sign a striker from, but it's not. We have the entire globe to source a striker. I understand totally that January isn't ideal and finding someone suitable is tricky. What I don't get and maybe I may have missed something why are we concentratating on an Australian player(striker). Australia hasn't had a decent striker since Viduka. It makes no sense to me and then to commit your Marquee spot for multiple seasons is just silly. As a player Maclaren is quality but he is not Marquee and not for 2 seasons or whatever the deal will be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Jamie scored 40 goals in 2 league seasons and Bruno scored 42 in his best 2 league seasons.

Both golden boot winners.

I think he is worthy of a marquee spot,

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

If we are honest, starting socceroo or not - he isn't on the same level as Toivonen, Honda, Le Fondre, Ninkovic, De Jong, Castro. I think that's why some of us are hesitant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

If we are honest, starting socceroo or not - he isn't on the same level as Toivonen, Honda, Le Fondre, Ninkovic, De Jong, Castro. I think that's why some of us are hesitant. 

Based on performance in the A-league he is on the same level, the stats show he is on par if not better than the above mentioned.

His job is to score goals, he did an exceptional job for the Roar with 0.76 goals/game, Bruno had 0.75 goals/game in his 2 best seasons.

As I said, I cant see a problem here.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the seasonal review;

"okay guys let's have a look at our achievements this season''

1. Youth team - missed out on the final
  2. Women team - Missed out on the finals
  3. Men team - Missed out of FFA cup semi final, Fourth again in the league, missed out ACL qualifications
  4. Downtrend in attendances 
  5. Atkinson played more minutes than last season, irrespective of his form
  6. Jamieson has clocked most miles at training

In all seriousness, looking across the board at our 3 representative teams - it's not our best season

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Based on performance in the A-league he is on the same level, the stats show he is on par if not better than the above mentioned.

His job is to score goals, he did an exceptional job for the Roar with 0.76 goals/game, Bruno had 0.75 goals/game in his 2 best seasons.

As I said, I cant see a problem here.

Based on those facts you are correct.

I just think we need a more creative marquee player a better footballer on the ball than Jamie.I'm just afraid he will drown in our game just like Bruno did, standing there waiting for his chance border line off side, as that is what a poacher does - is that what we need? Hope to be proven wrong.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I just think we need a more creative marquee player a better footballer on the ball than Jamie.I'm just afraid he will drown in our game just like Bruno did, standing there waiting for his chance border line off side, as that is what a poacher does - is that what we need? Hope to be proven wrong.

I think we'd change our system to accommodate him. 

We'd move back to a 4-3-3 or something like that and play him in behind or put low crosses and cut-backs into him. 

He is quick and runs all day. We would just need to give him decent service and he'd do the rest.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We are discussing Jamie replacing Bruno as a marquee and I don't see a problem with that at all based on performances in the A-league. The rest of your point is up to the manager and players around him to work out.

ATM Toivonen is on 0.77 goals/game, Le Fondre/Krishna 0.69 goals/games which shows Jamie is pretty much up there and deserves a marquee spot.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We are discussing Jamie replacing Bruno as a marquee and I don't see a problem with that at all based on performances in the A-league. The rest of your point is up to the manager and players around him to work out.

ATM Toivonen is on 0.77 goals/game, Le Fondre/Krishna 0.69 goals/games which shows Jamie is pretty much up there and deserves a marquee spot.

Those are current statistics for Toivenen, Le Fondre and Krishna. Those for Maclaren are a couple of years ago. Not a valid comparison.

46 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And then ending up 4th in the league every year? Because our competition doesn't have the same approach. 

I would like them to splash cash at best available players with potential, regardless of the nationality - all this to win as many throphies as we can and to become a successful football club.  

Unfortunately, what you and I (and most others) regard as a "successful football club" is not quite the same as what City Football Group regard as a "successful business investment." The main objective for CFG with Melchester is to make money out of Australian players. Next we'll see Simon Pearce using his "influence" and agitating for the 3+1 rule for visa players in the A-League, because that could potentially benefit Melchester.

I'm still waiting for this deal to be confirmed. So far it's only what Davutovic has said and then other sources (e.g. Fox) quoting him.

Maybe a bit off topic. 

If Maclaren signs and does become Marquee that to me is exactly what is wrong with the A League. 

A talented youngish player has a couple decent seasons in the A League heads off to Europe, struggles, gets loaned struggles, then gets rewarded with a lucrative contract back in the A League for basically not making it in the big time.

We are rewarding mediocrity and limiting the potential. 

Oh and don't get me started about the sausage stand. 

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic