Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

He'd be our fourth visa player, and if Sorensen is correct that would be the end of Germano.

Perhaps more concerning its clearly the end of Safuwan (if correct).

The guy's a very experienced player, however my concern for this (& Sorenson too) is what about beyond this season- how does this fit into our longer term plan? (because i don't think we have the squad to win the league this year).  Anyway, I guess nothing to do but wait and see. 

Edited by Shahanga

Milos Lujic? 18 goals in 23 appearances and only 24 years old striker - South Melbourne FC

Former Adelaide United youngster Jake Barker-Daish? 22 years old midfielder - South Melbourne FC

Triallist last season or the season before Andreas Govas? 25 years old midfielder - Heidelberg United

• Like 1

A-League: Melbourne City re-sign goalkeeper Tando Velaphi, but believed to be in talks with Dane Thomas Sorensen

MATT WINDLEY

JULY 08, 2015

MELBOURNE City’s goalkeeping situation for next season is becoming clearer after re-signing Tando Velaphi to a new two-year deal on Wednesday.

But Velaphi may yet have to settle for being City’s back-up shot-stopper as the club is understood to be in talks with Danish legend Thomas Sorensen.

Sorensen has played in the English Premier League since 1998 with Sunderland, Aston Villa and most recently Stoke City, making more than 400 first-team appearances in the league regarded as the world’s best.

The 39-year-old is also a 101-time Denmark international.

It is rare for A-League clubs to use one of their five visa spots on a goalkeeper.

But City, who started pre-season last week and plays Manchester City in Gold Coast friendly next Saturday, has only two foreigners currently signed and training — marquee Robert Koren and winger Harry Novillo.

Talks are continuing with utility Jonatan Germano and there is logic in signing the Argentine for a fifth season despite his previous injury woes.

The 27-year-old is eligible to become an Australian citizen after this season, meaning he wouldn’t occupy one of City’s visa spots.

And it is understood that under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement still being thrashed out by Football Federation Australia, the clubs and players’ association, part of Germano’s wage at City would be able to be paid outside of the salary cap from this season onwards as part of the new long-term loyalty payment scheme.

Midway through last season Velaphi took over as City’s No.1 from Andrew Redmayne, who has since moved on to Western Sydney.

He said on Wednesday he was hellbent on seeing the club improve on its semi-final finish of last season.

“I’ll be doing everything I can to get the best out of myself and help the team to be successful,” he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-city-re-sign-goalkeeper-tando-velaphi-but-believed-to-be-in-talks-with-dane-thomas-sorensen/story-fnk6pqhd-1227434097779

Milos Lujic? 18 goals in 23 appearances and only 24 years old striker - South Melbourne FC

Former Adelaide United youngster Jake Barker-Daish? 22 years old midfielder - South Melbourne FC

Triallist last season or the season before Andreas Govas? 25 years old midfielder - Heidelberg United

Will get them all when we merge with south

Lujic would sign, but as people have said previosuly there must be a reason why to this day he hasnt been picked up by an A-league side

JBD has really let himself go, and isnt even a main starter for South, would rather Jawadi

Govas is to old I reckon

So with the imminent signing of The Prickley Pear where does that leave the Australian Marquee? Fornaroli plays as a striker, so will we still be chasing Samaras? Surely they can see that we need more reinforcements in defence. 

At the end of the day I've got the patience to wait another 5+ years I'm not complaining, because I know where our club would be if we were still owned by Heart. (CBF driving to Geelong a few times a season.) 

But it's just a spin out that from these  6 clubs we are the richest in Asia and have 30+ scouts around the world and much more.

VISA PLAYERS:

Melbourne City: 

Koren (Slovenia) 34 MD                          Novillo (France) 23 FW                            Fornaroli (Uruguary) 27 FW                     Hughes (Ireland) 35 DF                          Sorensen (Denmark) 39 GK                    

Adelaide:

Cirio (Spain) 30 FW                             Sanchez (Spain) 32 FW                       Carrusca (Argentina) 31 MD                     Isaise (Spain) 31 MD                           Palanca (Spain) 27 MD             

Brisbane:

Polenz (Germany) 28 DF                          Henrique (Brazil) 30 FW                         Kaluderovic (Serbia) 27 FW                     Solorzano (CostaRica) 27 FW                 Broich (Germany) 34 MD             

Victory:

Delpierre (France) 34 DF                     Georgievski (Skorpiano) 27 DF           Berisha (Albania) 29 FW                        BenKhalfallah (Tunisia) 32 MD                Finkler (Brazil) 29 MD                              

Sydney:

Faty (Senegal) 31 DF                           Dimitrijevic (Serbia) 31 MD                     Tavares (Senegal) 32 MD                       Abbas (Iraq) 28 MD                      

Perth:

Djulbic (Bosnia) 32 DF                         Kramar (Slovenia) 23 DF                     Keogh (Ireland) 29 FW                         Sidnei (Brazil) 28 FW                           Marinkovic (Serbia) 28 MD

Wellington:

Cunningham (CostaRica) 30 FW         Krishna (Fiji) 27 FW                             Riera (Spain) 31 MD                                Rodriguez (England) 21 MD                     Bonevacia (Netherlands) 23 MD

Ok so as you can see it's very embarrassing when we compare VISA players with the rest of the league. Then people wonder why we always fight for 6th come end of season.

95% of the other teams VISA players on this list were the best in every position and broke all the records.     Eg. Team of the season, most goals, assist ect...

A lot on this forum are quick to put the blame on Mun and JVS and now the CFG... 

The problem is this guy and I hope the CFG pick it up quickly.                     JOHN DIDULICA!!!!!!!!!!                  This guy has been the cancer since day1!                

If we have fuck all injuries this season and everything goes our way we could finish 3rd. If our luck goes the same way as last season, get ready for another fight for 6th. 

May God be with us for 15/16 Ameen!

Sorry about the way the players came out, you get the point.

You'll be surprised just how much pull this has on things he has no idea about (Football) It's the old his my friend lets hire him. Trust me this guy is a big problem and I give him another season under CFG till they smell him out.

*He has*

Well at least it seems El Tuna was sorted out by a man city scout and not JD. Unless something was lost in translation. 

It will be an interesting gamble with Sorensen,  I think he will be signed to also lead the defence as well and to help organise. If it does prove to be a success and id suggest that success in this case would be it makes a huge difference, will be interesting to see if other clubs follow suit. 

Is this the first time a visa spot has been used with a keeper?

• jw1739 pinned this topic