Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

There is one thing that you have overlooked - whether the players themselves want their contract details or their personal reasons being disclosed to the general public. AFL players have a strong belief (understandably) about their privacy. So although I agree that more information needs to be forthcoming I am also aware that there are genuine limitations.

That's a fair enough comment. But I don't think I'm referring to details, I'm referring to an acknowledgement that something has taken place, or is about to. Just take the case of Ross Archibald, for example. Surely the club could have released a statement to the effect that "MCFC wishes to advise that our former NYL captain Ross Archibald has decided to seek further football opportunities elsewhere and has left the club by mutual agreement. We thank Ross for his contributions to our club and wish him all the best in his future endeavours." Similar statements could have been made for the other examples given. I cannot see that statements like these would infringe any privacy.

• Like 2

There is one thing that you have overlooked - whether the players themselves want their contract details or their personal reasons being disclosed to the general public. AFL players have a strong belief (understandably) about their privacy. So although I agree that more information needs to be forthcoming I am also aware that there are genuine limitations.

That's a fair enough comment. But I don't think I'm referring to details, I'm referring to an acknowledgement that something has taken place, or is about to. Just take the case of Ross Archibald, for example. Surely the club could have released a statement to the effect that "MCFC wishes to advise that our former NYL captain Ross Archibald has decided to seek further football opportunities elsewhere and has left the club by mutual agreement. We thank Ross for his contributions to our club and wish him all the best in his future endeavours." Similar statements could have been made for the other examples given. I cannot see that statements like these would infringe any privacy. In regards to players being unavailable due too personal matters you can look to the delicate way first Melbourne then more recently Geelong handled the Clark & Hawkins absentees. Not looking for an explanation in detail, "saf has extended his stay in sing due to personal reasons" would be fine. An acknowledgment that a signed player is not available for selection is all I was after. Don't want to know why really, that's between him, the club & his family.

I understand people wanting to see better communication but how is the club making statements like that going to help? All it does is generate more talk and pressure on the club to say what is going on, as many would likely not have realised anyway.

Keeping things quiet at least leaves some privacy on the matter.

As for next year, with the player and hopefully manager clean out, we can only hope that what we end up with is a mentally stronger, fitter side to contend for silverware for once.

This year will more than likely be a first round exit from the finals, but if miracles do happen and we win, we may get to play MV in the semi. That would be a huge game for both clubs, but for the sport in this state it would likely generate significany general public interest.

I understand people wanting to see better communication but how is the club making statements like that going to help? All it does is generate more talk and pressure on the club to say what is going on, as many would likely not have realised anyway.

Keeping things quiet at least leaves some privacy on the matter.

As for next year, with the player and hopefully manager clean out, we can only hope that what we end up with is a mentally stronger, fitter side to contend for silverware for once.

This year will more than likely be a first round exit from the finals, but if miracles do happen and we win, we may get to play MV in the semi. That would be a huge game for both clubs, but for the sport in this state it would likely generate significany general public interest.

It helps by demonstrating that the club actually values its supporters, and indeed values its players. At the moment the impression is that the club doesn't care a flying fig for either. And it's always better to get the information from a reliable source rather than media speculation.

This club has been living on "hope for next season" for far too long.

we also need a proper number 10, especially of we lose Mooy

I can't even imagine the team without Mooy

Just watch some of last season replays. Would rather watch paint dry then re-watch the last 4 years of Heart play

Edited by haz

on the studs up blog today, Davutovic said that both Melbourne teams were interested in Maclaren. I hope to god we get this kid

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-victory-set-to-win-battle-for-star-winger-fahid-ben-khalfallah/story-fnk6rmfl-1227314033367?from=public_rss

Hopefully us, cant see any room for him with the Tards if they sign FBK for 2 more years

on the studs up blog today, Davutovic said that both Melbourne teams were interested in Maclaren. I hope to god we get this kid

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-victory-set-to-win-battle-for-star-winger-fahid-ben-khalfallah/story-fnk6rmfl-1227314033367?from=public_rss

Hopefully us, cant see any room for him with the Tards if they sign FBK for 2 more years

especially if they are interested in a big name keeper as has also been reported (Galekovic/Vukovic) and would be demanding at least 200k+

In the post match interview Maclaren said he was frustrated that he didn't get enough game time this season (i think he came off the bench 17 times or something like that). Assuming MV re-sign FBK, you would imagine their front 3 would be him, Berisha and Barbarouses. On top of that, you have Pain fighting for a spot, and Thompson if they extend his contract for one more season. Compared to us where at this moment i would even have him playing in front of Kennedy as our starting striker, and he is daylight ahead of williams/ramsay/dugandzic. 

We would surely be able to offer him the same money if not a little more, and definitely be able to promise him more game time than MV will, if not for him to be a starting player by the seasons end. We probably have the best facilities in the league, and our standard pre-season trip to manchester is surely another incentive for him to sign. 

• Like 2

If Maclaren is smart he would sign for us.

There is far more upside for him at MC, given that he could well be a regular starter in a club that seems to suggest it wants to build for the future, along with top class training facilities and the CFG connection benefits (ie overseas training camps).

Not too sure MV have the cap space or the need for him in their squad.

Our problem really is that the top five sides already have squads that perform regularly at a consistently higher level than we do. They therefore don't need to do much tweaking to stay that way. We have so much deadwood that we have a hell of a lot of work to do to come close to them. TBH I am not sure that we can make the necessary changes in one off-season.

The attractions of nice training grounds and an annual trip to Manchester don't necessarily add up to be the equal of playing in a winning side.

Our problem really is that the top five sides already have squads that perform regularly at a consistently higher level than we do. They therefore don't need to do much tweaking to stay that way. We have so much deadwood that we have a hell of a lot of work to do to come close to them. TBH I am not sure that we can make the necessary changes in one off-season.

The attractions of nice training grounds and an annual trip to Manchester don't necessarily add up to be the equal of playing in a winning side.

Actualy given that there are 9 players out of contract there should be salary cap room for him. However IIRC he seemed to suggest that he is bound for Europe or overseas at least. And if the club offers a contract to Safuwan then all we need is a younger version of Jaliens to complete the defence. Mid-field is OK if Mooy stays and presumably Paartalau improves. But up forward the club needs more fire power. So playing finals may not be out of the question.

I'm ready for us to sign another player with an excellent CV who, for some astonishing and inexplicable reason, will become a hack the moment they become part of the club.

I don't think we've ever signed a player with an excellent CV. Harry Kewell's was pretty good. Koren and Harry Novillo's are 'good' as was Engelaar. That's about as strong as it gets. Nothing 'excellent'.

For me excellent means playing in a Champions League or at least Europa level for a number of years.

Some little birdie told me of a major signing coming up!

If past history is anything to go by, Major signing would mean:

a. We've signed Travis Major from CCM

b. Ticker/Bluey is returning next season

c. We've signed another sponsor on our shorts

Sooooooo excited

• Like 6

• jw1739 pinned this topic