Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Disappointing definitely.

I had this bloke pegged as genuine player. In fact I was more excited about him as opposed to Villa.

After giving him at least 5 games to perform he has failed to live up to my expectations.

I think it will be interesting to see what occurs post season. For me he needs to be replaced by a gun 15+ goal striker (insert M GOMEZ, Mr Adams). To play possibly alongside Kennedy. Not sure we have to chase a #10 so much. Mooy if stays has proven to be more than adequate and hopefully Melling recovers and develops.

So basically this could be Koren's last game or two.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but why the fuck would you ever cut a proven A-League midfield gun loved by the fans in Engelaar only to take a punt on someone like Koren?

Probably nothing more than the new ownership/administration wanting to put their stamp on things. Just as many people feel the need to change something when they buy a house.

On paper, Koren should have been better this season.  

The question is why hasn't he been able to perform at the level expected as our marquee and what can CFG learn with regard to recruiting our next marquee?

Probably worth noting Engelaar wanted to go back home as well

• Like 1

The question is why hasn't he been able to perform at the level expected as our marquee and what can CFG learn with regard to recruiting our next marquee?

His injury didn't help, of course, but even before that he had not shown anything in the pre-season. By the time he was fit again, Mooy had the playmaker role sewn up.

Perhaps if they'd stuck to Txiki's original criterion of "...a big player who will become a big name" they probably would have done a lot better. Instead they went for an international (although not a well-known "name") at the wrong end of his career.

What is more astonishing for me is that we then made the same mistake with Kennedy.

Edited by jw1739

I am beginning to think that replacing Koren may be the second most significant culling to take place, only behind replacing JvS. The international marquee should be linchpin of the team. The player that the opposition must contain at all costs and Koren has not been that. What is worse, is that he does not even have to be contained so opposition players are not being dragged out of position allowing other City players to have a more constructive rand damaging role. He is on the pitch and the opposition does not care. So replacing Koren with a marquee that came here to play would probably have a bigger impact than replacing Ramsay or Dugandzic with a local player.

His injury didn't help, of course, but even before that he had not shown anything in the pre-season. By the time he was fit again, Mooy had the playmaker role sewn up.

Perhaps if they'd stuck to Txiki's original criterion of "...a big player who will become a big name" they probably would have done a lot better. Instead they went for an international (although not a well-known "name") at the wrong end of his career.

What is more astonishing for me is that we then made the same mistake with Kennedy.

Although id love for Koren to be replaced as I am starting to think that we are probably going to need a big name to help the club get a stronger foot hold, I still think that the  common factor with Koren and Kennedy being underwhelming so far is JVS. So, if he is replaced with a great coach I get the feeling that both of them will start showing why they were signed in the first place.

I am just hoping CFG are ruthless this off season.

• Like 1

for me the astonishing thing is orlando came back from a broken leg and killed it more often than not, koren's had the newcastle game and that's it 

there's no doubt the club should've done better with our marquee signing.

With the financial backing that we have, and the resources, we should have really made an impact with this. There are many quality players around the world, and personally i would've loved the club to sign someone mid 20's who was maybe on the radar of some teams in europe but we came in and paid him a shitload of money to play here. 

An example of this is this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Goulart 

His chinese team paid 15million for him, something that we are actually very capable of doing. 

Melbourne City marquee Robert Koren says club wasted his talents by playing him upfront

MATT WINDLEY

APRIL 29, 2015

SLOVENIAN international Robert Koren insists Melbourne City would have seen better from him this season if he spent more time in his natural position as a midfielder.

Following a delayed start to the season with a serious calf injury, City’s international marquee player has spent most of his time in 18 games in the front three.

He has played as a sole striker when Josh Kennedy was out and has also played wide.

But asked which position suits him best, former English Premier League star Koren did not hesitate.

“I’m a midfield player,” he told News Corp Australia.

“For 75 per cent of the games I’ve played, I’ve played upfront as a No. 9 by myself and I never experienced this before.

“I don't complain, I came here to help the club. Definitely it was not good for me individually, I couldn’t show exactly what I am capable of doing, but I’m sure that if I was playing in the midfield the whole season definitely you can expect much more from me.

“I’ve done my best, I’m trying my best, to help the club and the team and if the manager decides that I play in that position then I try my best.”

The midfield may yet present itself for the 34-year-old as City prepares to fight for its life in Sunday’s elimination final against Wellington in New Zealand.

With right back Kew Jaliens suspended and left back Jack Clisby fighting battling to overcome an ankle injury, coach John van’t Schip may have no option but to shift Argentine Jonatan Germano in to the back four.

The door would open for Koren to join Aaron Mooy and Erik Paartalu in a midfield trio, but the man himself is happy to leave that decision to the boss.

“I will do whatever it takes to help the club,” Koren said.

“But of course after the season we need to sit down and talk about things.

“When you come to a new club, in a new country, I expect I will be used in the right way so I can really show myself and help the team much more.

“And if I am in the midfield, that is my right position, that is where I can help the team the most.

“One more time, I am not complaining, but I just want to be honest here and (say) if I play midfield all season you would definitely see a different Robi Koren than you saw this season.”

Koren signed a two-year deal to be City’s international marquee in August.

“We'll see what happens next season,” he said. “But first I’m here to focus on the playoffs and make sure that we do the right things.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-marquee-robert-koren-says-club-wasted-his-talents-by-playing-him-upfront/story-fnk6rlg0-1227327077329

The first cracks. Surely he's gone.

Agreed. Looks like he doesn't want another season of playing where he isn't happy. Being happy in yourself is a big factor in how you perform. I wouldn't blame him if he seeks a release to finish his career on a more positive note somewhere back in a lower league in Europe.

• Like 2

If Koren stays I would hope him and Mooy workout who is going to do what in the midfield and try and make some kind of partnership. I still think it may work out as Mooys flaw is dwelling on the ball so hopefully Koren can fill that hole , but that article is pretty ominous....But agree with the above, clearly is gone. 

I know he hassnt shown much at all, but look where he has played all throughout his career, you dont have a long career like that if you have no ability. Besides, a few on here have seen him throughout his career and were vouching strongly for him. So I highly doubt Koren comming to a league so many levels below what he is used to and turning to shit is down to his ability as a player, something else is wrong. I still blame JVS, I can easily imagine Koren at another aleauge club tearing it apart. 

But still that article is very ominous....

I agree that the comments seemed to indicate that there's some tension in air and next year may see us with a different marquee next year.

Oh well, we await news on that story unfolding soon.

Hopefully this weekend he can play in midfield and show us what he says he could have all year :)

Probably worth noting Engelaar wanted to go back home as well Engelaar was happy to stay at reduced wages actually. It was his wife that wouldn't have it. I even over heard a conversation she was having in a corporate box that confirmed this.

What really alarms me about Koren is how far short of the mark he has been. Frankly I don't believe he would even get on the field at the top 4 teams plus Perth.

I get that he wouldn't be another Duff or Janko but surely he'd be at least serviceable and since when did playing out of position stop a guy from running?

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Probably worth noting Engelaar wanted to go back home as well Engelaar was happy to stay at reduced wages actually. It was his wife that wouldn't have it. I even over heard a conversation she was having in a corporate box that confirmed this.

I think that she was pregnant and wanted to be closer to her family

• Like 1

van 't Schip has a nasty habit of playing people other than in their preferred positions. IMO it's one of the reasons why we never perform as we should when looked at on paper.

Whatever Koren has or has not done, if he's not happy here then it's best for all concerned that he moves on.

For mine, Koren turned sour when he was subbed off against CCM when Tando was red carded. It was the game directly after his hatrick.

I recall seeing his face on the telecast as stormed down the race; very unhappy.

It's a real shame as he does possess the class and skill to be really something in this league.

Sadly there seems to be much disharmony in the dressing room at the moment.

Their performances on the field and at training, the bickering on the pitch and the attitude of recent interviews really proves this to me.

I hate how the players as professionals can behave this way, but ultimately when this happens, it's the managers responsibility to pull the team together... and in this respect JvS has really failed his club.

Hence for that reason, he must be the first out the door.

Then whoever replaces him can work out who stays of the current mob - and who gets the arse.

So we scout for a key position ......a marquee!!

Someone who can and should tip the close games in our favour, then we play them in a different position.

If jvs wanted a forward why not get a marquee forward.

You don't get a plumber to fix your electrical problems.

Wtf is going on in this club

Melbourne City misses mark playing marquee man Robert Koren out of position

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

APRIL 29, 2015

THE English Premier League’s extensive data analysis registered Robert Koren clocking 12 kilometres in his final start for Hull City before coming to Australia.

The match was played on May 7 last year, in Hull’s 3-1 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Koren regularly cracked the 12km mark during a successful eight-year career in England’s top two tiers and nine years with Slovenia’s national team, where he scored five goals in 61 games.

Melbourne City paraded Koren as their marquee last August, but since debuting last December he’s been played everywhere but the position he forged a fine career in.

Koren is a classic midfielder (a number 8) with a decent engine, midfield smarts, an ability to get stuck in (he played six years and won three promotions in the English Championship) and an eye for goal.

To City’s detriment, he’s been shuffled around in a Leigh Broxham-style Mr. Fixit role, primarily as the ‘false 9’ (striker) in Josh Kennedy’s absence, or one of the wide attacking positions.

Players of Koren’s class needs to be anchored in a position, with the rest of the team working around him, even if it means a formation change.

Even in City’s 4-3-3, there is no reason why Koren couldn’t play as one of the no. 8’s, alongside Aaron Mooy, while Erika Paartalu sits deeper.

On one of the rare occasions he did, in the Round 23 win over Brisbane Roar, Koren dictated the tempo of the game in the 56 minutes he played in midfield, until Kennedy’s withdrawal saw him return to the front three.

At 34, he’s no spring chicken, but there are no signs to suggest his body can no longer handle the rigours of the industrious central midfield role.

Even if he tapered off slightly below the 12km mark, he has the smarts to make up for it, and the Paartalu-Mooy-Koren combination has the ability to play teams off the park.

Koren’s only three goals came in a display of experience and opportunism against a woeful Newcastle Jets on December 30, just his third game of the season after returning from a calf injury.

Koren, who has another year to run on his contract, has copped criticism from some quarters for being an underwhelming marquee, but it’s unfair to judge him on this season considering his utility status.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-misses-mark-playing-marquee-man-robert-koren-out-of-position/story-fnk6rlg0-1227327170076

The funny thing is Koren used to have a reputation in England for being a versatile player. That feature of his has clearly disappeared in the twilight of his career.

It is rather unfortunate that Koren ended up playing as a stop gap striker, as Villa was gone, Kennedy was yet to arrive and Williams couldn't find the back of the net between November 2014 and March 2015. So some credit to Koren for stepping up and trying to play in other positions as a utility.

But still, in the few times Koren has been given a central midfield position, such as the game away to CCM (a 0-2 loss) and the second away game to Wellington (0-0 draw), he's still been a clear disappointment IMO. I'm sure Koren would be a little bit better if he played in the middle of the park, but I still seriously doubt that Koren would play well enough to justify the international marquee position at Melbourne City. 

Mooy has managed to star in the team in his first season. So too have Melling and Germano looked quality in the A-League this season when they've been chucked into midfield. So I see no excuses for Koren's ordinariness this season, in the couple of games he's played in midfield or the many games he's played elsewhere (even the likes of Safuwan and Jaliens looked like solid A-League players when they played out of position in the team). IMO Koren is simply a 34 year old who's past it, and I believe it would be in the club's interest to get a new international marquee who isn't so high maintenance and can consistently be quality.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The funny thing is Koren used to have a reputation in England for being a versatile player. That feature of his has clearly disappeared in the twilight of his career.

It is rather unfortunate that Koren ended up playing as a stop gap striker, as Villa was gone, Kennedy was yet to arrive and Williams couldn't find the back of the net between November 2014 and March 2015. So some credit to Koren for stepping up and trying to play in other positions as a utility.

But still, in the few times Koren has been given a central midfield position, such as the game away to CCM (a 0-2 loss) and the second away game to Wellington (0-0 draw), he's still been a clear disappointment IMO. I'm sure Koren would be a little bit better if he played in the middle of the park, but I still seriously doubt that Koren would play well enough to justify the international marquee position at Melbourne City. 

Mooy has managed to star in the team in his first season. So too have Melling and Germano looked quality in the A-League this season when they've been chucked into midfield. So I see no excuses for Koren's ordinariness this season, in the couple of games he's played in midfield or the many games he's played elsewhere (even the likes of Safuwan and Jaliens looked like solid A-League players when they played out of position in the team). IMO Koren is simply a 34 year old who's past it, and I believe it would be in the club's interest to get a new international marquee who isn't so high maintenance and can consistently be quality.

I have been critical of Koren for his performances. However, in no way do I feel he is past it.

The interview tells me he has had enough of being played out of position and is telling the powers that be he wants to play in midfield or else he will leave.

It is also a veiled attack on JVS and his use of him within the team.

Even if Koren does go, I expect these comments by him could lead to JVS going as well.

While he has shown glimpses of quality most of the time he's been average, especially for a marquee. And for a marquee even out of his position he should still be a class above the rest. While Korens injury played a part in the current debacle at the same time i wonder what goes on through JVS head. You have your highest and arguably (on paper) your best player in the squad yet you don't play him in the position he will be most effective in? I really wouldn't be surprised if things have gotten to the last tether and explains why JVS is playing a 442 formation allowing both Mooy and Koren to play more of their natural roles.

I often feel JVS is trying to be to much of a 'top manager' playing an intricate system of play and players in odd positions yet not addressing the issues with a more simple approach. And it's the simple things he has definitely gotten wrong.

While he has shown glimpses of quality most of the time he's been average, especially for a marquee. And for a marquee even out of his position he should still be a class above the rest. While Korens injury played a part in the current debacle at the same time i wonder what goes on through JVS head. You have your highest and arguably (on paper) your best player in the squad yet you don't play him in the position he will be most effective in? I really wouldn't be surprised if things have gotten to the last tether and explains why JVS is playing a 442 formation allowing both Mooy and Koren to play more of their natural roles.

I often feel JVS is trying to be to much of a 'top manager' playing an intricate system of play and players in odd positions yet not addressing the issues with a more simple approach. And it's the simple things he has definitely gotten wrong.

"Soccer is simple, but it's difficult to play simple." Johan Cruyff.

If Koren stays I would hope him and Mooy workout who is going to do what in the midfield and try and make some kind of partnership. I still think it may work out as Mooys flaw is dwelling on the ball so hopefully Koren can fill that hole , but that article is pretty ominous....But agree with the above, clearly is gone. 

I know he hassnt shown much at all, but look where he has played all throughout his career, you dont have a long career like that if you have no ability. Besides, a few on here have seen him throughout his career and were vouching strongly for him. So I highly doubt Koren comming to a league so many levels below what he is used to and turning to shit is down to his ability as a player, something else is wrong. I still blame JVS, I can easily imagine Koren at another aleauge club tearing it apart. 

"I highly doubt Koren comming to a league so many levels below what he is used to and turning to shit is down to his ability as a player, something else is wrong."

That's the problem. You're underrating the A League. It is not "so many levels below" where Koren has played. Carl Valeri, who I prefer to pay attention to when looking at the standard of the A League, rated Melbourne Victory as a top Serie B, lower Serie A quality side. So Carl Valeri, who has recent playing experience in Italy, would obviously disagree with you and agree with me that Koren is NOT playing at "so many levels below" where he is used to playing.

Anyhow, Mooy and Melling have shown themselves to be clearly better midfielders than Koren.

It's not a good look when a player goes public and says the coach hasn't used him properly.

I wonder if Koren has already been told that the City Group want a new foreign marquee for next season - and maybe with a bigger name as well to help attract the crowds.

• Like 2

"I highly doubt Koren comming to a league so many levels below what he is used to and turning to shit is down to his ability as a player, something else is wrong."

That's the problem. You're underrating the A League. It is not "so many levels below" where Koren has played. Carl Valeri, who I prefer to pay attention to when looking at the standard of the A League, rated Melbourne Victory as a top Serie B, lower Serie A quality side. So Carl Valeri, who has recent playing experience in Italy, would obviously disagree with you and agree with me that Koren is NOT playing at "so many levels below" where he is used to playing.

Anyhow, Mooy and Melling have shown themselves to be clearly better midfielders than Koren.

It's not a good look when a player goes public and says the coach hasn't used him properly.

I wonder if Koren has already been told that the City Group want a new foreign marquee for next season - and maybe with a bigger name as well to help attract the crowds.

Well My Valeri must be sniffing some cheap drugs. So he is telling me Melbourne Victory is as good as Empoli, Cesena or Atalanta?

I do agree with Koren to some extent. Playing players out of position won't get the best out of you. I must admit, I was a decent player in my junior years playing as a midfielder, but when I was played as a striker I was hopeless. If he performs crap in the first 5 games in his second season, then I would fuck him off.