Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I can't understand why CFG didn't just let the fans know that Villa was only going to play the initial 4 games before returning to New York.

TBH this type of bizarre thinking has Melbourne Heart written all over it. Considering that its all the same faces at the club, my bet is that someone from the old guard is responsible for this. Probably because (as has been mentioned before) they were happy to go along letting people think he was here for 10 games but didnt think it through

Its got Scott Munn written all over it: lets get the media attention, fan interest and memberships from the speculation and don't confirm or deny assumptions which are obviously wrong.  Just like when he was fuelling rumours we were getting Beckham.

As long as Munn is there, this will continue.  As Dudilica is there we will end up recruiting 34 year olds marquees that spend most of their time on the bench.  As long as JVS is here we will no silverware.  As long as a bout half a dozen Heart players remain, we will continue to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

• Like 2

I can't understand why CFG didn't just let the fans know that Villa was only going to play the initial 4 games before returning to New York.

TBH this type of bizarre thinking has Melbourne Heart written all over it. Considering that its all the same faces at the club, my bet is that someone from the old guard is responsible for this. Probably because (as has been mentioned before) they were happy to go along letting people think he was here for 10 games but didnt think it through

Its got Scott Munn written all over it: lets get the media attention, fan interest and memberships from the speculation and don't confirm or deny assumptions which are obviously wrong.  Just like when he was fuelling rumours we were getting Beckham.

As long as Munn is there, this will continue.  As Dudilica is there we will end up recruiting 34 year olds marquees that spend most of their time on the bench.  As long as JVS is here we will no silverware.  As long as a bout half a dozen Heart players remain, we will continue to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

the way i see the lack of information is from a very short sighted marketing point of view; the club wanted to give the impression that the season was going to start with a bang.  the bigger the bang, the more fans / members the club would get.

as much as the club could have sold the "4 game" bang, 10 games (for the club anyway) looks so much better.  

sad thing is that the club has proverbially "bitten its nose off in spite of its face".

one way or the other, the club really should have done better.  

if they had known, the really should have been up front about it to keep faith with fans and to have signed another forward for the short term.

if on the other hand this had been unexpected (ie a change of heart by NYC), then the club should have ensured that all avenues were exhausted prior to Villa coming.  that is, they should have had a more ironclad contract to ensure that the 10 games were to be completed.

maybe some of it has to do with Lampard, but still it is pretty poor form by management.

I think if you brought a membership because of villa then you are stupid. Here is why a) he is not our marquee B) It was never confirmed how many games he would play out of the ten. I would also like to point out the we want fans that are here for the long journey that includes supporting players that are spuds like Hoffman, murdocca and redmayne. David Villa has been a luxury to have in which I have enjoyed watching him play in our colours but everyone knew it would come to an end sooner or later now let's accept it move forward and enjoy the season that I believe we can still get success out of.

There will be a number of reasons why we have 10,000 members now compared with 7,300 last season, and IMO it's naive to think that the presence of David Villa, if only for a few games, is not one of them.

It's true that the club never specified how many matches Villa would play. However, I don't think you can find anyone - including the media people who are as close as anyone is to what is going on at Heart HQ - who did not assume that it would be 10 matches. The club has admitted now that it had always known that Villa would return to NY before completing 10 matches. By this admission it has shown that it was an act of omission not to correct the assumptions widely held by it supporters and members and fuelled by the media.

IMO the only question now is whether Villa will return to complete something like 10 matches. What is crystal clear to me is that the club's administration cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

• Like 5

I think if you brought a membership because of villa then you are stupid. Here is why a) he is not our marquee B) It was never confirmed how many games he would play out of the ten. I would also like to point out the we want fans that are here for the long journey that includes supporting players that are spuds like Hoffman, murdocca and redmayne. David Villa has been a luxury to have in which I have enjoyed watching him play in our colours but everyone knew it would come to an end sooner or later now let's accept it move forward and enjoy the season that I believe we can still get success out of.

There will be a number of reasons why we have 10,000 members now compared with 7,300 last season, and IMO it's naive to think that the presence of David Villa, if only for a few games, is not one of them.

It's true that the club never specified how many matches Villa would play. However, I don't think you can find anyone - including the media people who are as close as anyone is to what is going on at Heart HQ - who did not assume that it would be 10 matches. The club has admitted now that it had always known that Villa would return to NY before completing 10 matches. By this admission it has shown that it was an act of omission not to correct the assumptions widely held by it supporters and members and fuelled by the media.

IMO the only question now is whether Villa will return to complete something like 10 matches. What is crystal clear to me is that the club's administration cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

I think if there is enough of a stink about Villa leaving, CFG may try to persuade him to come back and complete 10 games, as a good will/damage control exercise. 

As far as telling the truth, the previous administrators re still administering.

I worked for a company that was performing poorly, due to shit management and shit staff.  We were bought out by a much bigger competitor, who retained the shit management and shit staff, thinking they would be re-trained to the new company's way of doing things.  All 23 branches failed and were closed.

Moral: if you buy an under-performing business that you see potential, don't try to change the people.  Change the people.

• Like 2

The club is finally admitting that Villa is returning to New York after four matches, albeit in a slightly roundabout way. There is a short Fox Sports video up on the club website entitled "Villa's stint cut short."

Anyway, I think I'm over all this from Melbourne City. I'm taking a leaf out of KSK's book and I'm going to spend less time thinking about how well or how poorly a bunch of numpties are managing a football club and more time getting on with the rest of my life. No-one cares a jot about what we supporters think anyway.

There's lots of knickers in a twist over this, I really don't see why. Villa is on loan to us, his parent club wants him back.

We didn't get the terms and conditions of his loan agreement divulged to us as supporters, whoopee doo, welcome to the business of football.

This shite happens all the time, as others have said if you bought a Melbourne Villa FC membership you can sod off if you want, if you want to support the TEAM, welcome!

If the non disclosure of the t's and c's upset you, well cry me a river, I didn't see that as a feature of any membership pack, a loan is a loan (guest stint or not), parent clubs have pull in most cases.

I'm glad I've been able to see such a class player still at his peak play for my club even for just 4 games.

There's lots of knickers in a twist over this, I really don't see why. Villa is on loan to us, his parent club wants him back.

We didn't get the terms and conditions of his loan agreement divulged to us as supporters, whoopee doo, welcome to the business of football.

This shite happens all the time, as others have said if you bought a Melbourne Villa FC membership you can sod off if you want, if you want to support the TEAM, welcome!

If the non disclosure of the t's and c's upset you, well cry me a river, I didn't see that as a feature of any membership pack, a loan is a loan (guest stint or not), parent clubs have pull in most cases.

I'm glad I've been able to see such a class player still at his peak play for my club even for just 4 games.

Well, this is the problem with this attitude. It sends mixed messages. On the one hand you say that the supporters should not feel entitled to wanting to know what goes on and should suck it up because its modern football but on the other hand you want people to be passionate and loyal as though its their football club. It has to be one or the other.

We are either viewed as customers- in which case dont expect any loyalty or we are a part of this footballing family- in which case dont treat us like we dont matter. 

The core issue here is the clubs integrity

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I think it's pretty clear, at least among this cross section of supporters:

1. Parent clubs don't generally take loan players back when their league is nearly half a year away from kicking off again. I understand he's a valuable marketing tool for NYC as well, but spending November there, coming back here for December, then being back in New York in the first week of 2015 doesn't seem especially outrageous.

2. Either the club is lying when it says that this was always part of the Villa grand plan (and it has been just as blindsided by this as we have), or it should have been much more transparent about what exactly was going to happen during Villa's time here. My suspicion is that the club was acutely aware of it, but figured that by the time Villa was scheduled to jet out in November, the team would be sitting pretty on 9-10 points and we would already be set up for a really good season.

3. Any of us were/are happy that he's playing at least four games. But this club has somehow managed to do it again: turning an overwhelming positive into a negative by not being upfront with its supporters. And that is why the 10,000 members tally is going to mean jack shit, unless this club starts winning. If the team finishes this season outside the top six and miles behind Victory, the supporters will leave in droves and we'll be back to Heart numbers.

Case in point, why have Villa's pic in the  'Membership' site to sell the club's '3 Game Fixed GA Membership' if the club is aware that he is leaving. False advertising IMO

The club is finally admitting that Villa is returning to New York after four matches, albeit in a slightly roundabout way. There is a short Fox Sports video up on the club website entitled "Villa's stint cut short."

Anyway, I think I'm over all this from Melbourne City. I'm taking a leaf out of KSK's book and I'm going to spend less time thinking about how well or how poorly a bunch of numpties are managing a football club and more time getting on with the rest of my life. No-one cares a jot about what we supporters think anyway.

Yeah, time to move on. One player isn't bigger than the club, whether they are a WC winner or not. Edited by interstatefan
  • Like 1

Case in point, why have Villa's pic in the  'Membership' site to sell the club's '3 Game Fixed GA Membership' if the club is aware that he is leaving. False advertising IMO

Indeed.  Made this point a while back.  If anyone asks for a refund they will have to supply it or risk the wrath of ACCC.  Just frustrating that the club would conduct business in such a poor fashion.  Still can't fix it so best to move on as jw wisely advises.

I can understand Villa wanting to return to see his family. This rubbish about media commitments is a clear cover up. NY dont even start pre-season till late January. Active promotion of the team doesn't start until 2 month before the season starts. 

I just don't believe the City group would leave us with such a huge hole to fill - without having greater plans for us - or at least an adequate replacement.

We still have another visa spot to fill - and and Aussie Marquee. 

The reality is that Melbourne would have a far greater opportunity to be profitable than New York - and in terms of player development Australia has far greater chance of producing a player to fit Man City than USA.

I hope Villa wasn't just a stunt. 

I feel sorry for the members who brought tickets to see Villa.

The other possibility is that the loan arrangements have suddenly changed because thee's some friction between NYCFC and Melbourne. Is Claudio Reyna still here, he did arrive with David Villa?

Still here as his 'minder'

Reyna went home a fair while ago.

Check his twitter feed.

My 2 cents and what I said in another forum:

New York was bought for $100m, City bought for $10m.

Lampard got injured playing for Man City, New York/CFG got scared that the same would happen to Villa, thus potentially losing BOTH of their marquees for the season opener, which is pivotal considering they are a brand new club without having kicked a ball.

Now they are using the ‘checking up on family/promotional work’ as an excuse to bring him back, and yes for the people who say we are lower on the pecking order than NY it's most likely because of the franchise fee v exposure.

And let’s be honest, we were never supposed to have a player of the stature of David Villa who’s come off a Spanish title, Champions League final and World Cup campaign for a top 10 nation this early in the A League’s formation, so let’s count our lucky stars we got to see him in action for UP to the 10 games he was allowed to play!

• Like 1

What was the reason for him leaving?

IF it's true (and i doubt it), I reckon it will only be because NYC are shitting themselves with what happened to Lampard the other night.

Still think this has a lot to do with it. To me it explains the sudden timing this week.

Am i the only one who has enjoyed watching Duff play more then this bloke? Even though Villa has some cool touches and that, i just enjoy watching Duff doing all the groundwork to set up the team.

Jesus will have to resurrect earlier then planned because of this. 

...and on the third day, Jesus arose from a chronic back injury

Am i the only one who has enjoyed watching Duff play more then this bloke? Even though Villa has some cool touches and that, i just enjoy watching Duff doing all the groundwork to set up the team.

Jesus will have to resurrect earlier then planned because of this.

I'm on the same boat, Duff is a such a tireless player, there wasn't long left on Sunday but he was pushing so hard for the winner.

I moved to Sydney a month ago which has helped to care less. I went to the first Villa game up there and was simply underwhelmed by the team except for Villa's strike. That helped too. And the fact that Allianz Stadium is awful (I won't be catching any Sydney FC games like I thought I might- just don't care for them or the stadium). 

City are doing me a favour by keeping JVS and cutting Villa short. If Heart were playing well and things were looking good I'd probably have found the move to Sydney even more difficult. As it is I'm glad I'm not paying a membership. 

Edited by Alexxxandro

I moved to Sydney a month ago which has helped to care less. I went to the first Villa game up there and was simply underwhelmed by the team except for Villa's strike. That helped too. And the fact that Allianz Stadium is awful (I won't be catching any Sydney FC games like I thought I might- just don't care for them or the stadium). 

City are doing me a favour by keeping JVS and cutting Villa short. If Heart were playing well and things were looking good I'd probably have found the move to Sydney even more difficult. As it is I'm glad I'm not paying a membership. 

as oppose to how well we were playing last year?

LOL probs just a disgruntled victory fan trying to stir the pot. Anyway we deserved to win both games, without our marquee and aussie marquee so plenty of upside