Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Didn't understand a word but this bloke is dripping with class

He mentioned that he scored the equalizer on his debut in the Australian League but unfortunately the team was unable to get the full points after all the work that has been put into the preparations. He also would like to thank his team mates, the club and all the Australians that have made his first week such positive experience as well as those who are contacting him through social media including people from NYC. He has been shown a lot of love by the people here in Melbourne.

For a Spaniard he speaks remarkably humbly and understated. Had to do a re-listen just to make sure.

David Villa’s goal for Melbourne City in the A-League makes headlines across the globe

OCTOBER 13, 2014

WE’VE had Sydney FC shirts being sold in Turin and now another global football superstar is selling the A-League to a whole new world thanks to his exploits in Australian football.

David Villa’s goal stole the headlines in round one of the competition, but not just here, where it created a social media sensation.

Spanish paper AS was promoting the goal within minutes of being scored on Saturday night, while it has since made headlines in Spain, England, and in USA, where Villa will travel next to link up with new club New York City.

Sport, Marca, Mundo Deportivo, amongst other mastheads, carried stories and videos of the goal, while Major League Soccer’s website declared “it’s the kind of instant impact that New York City FC will be hoping for when their 2015 expansion season kicks off in March”.

It wasn’t just Villa people were following, either. The Irish Independent was also quick to promote the goal, but with the headline: “Damien Duff sets up David Villa for goal on A-League debut”.

Marvellous.

We had our cameras trained on the superstar - check out his night in Villa Watch [at link].

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/david-villas-goal-for-melbourne-city-in-the-aleague-makes-headlines-across-the-globe/story-fnp0lxaw-1227088751935

Edited by Murfy1

I know this has been mentioned a few times, but sitting behind the goal on Saturday night being able to witness Villa perform his magic was well worth the trip up. As soon as Villa got the ball he was always gunna turn his opponent. His exquisite first touch and tidy finish is something I will always treasure depsite being quite drunk.

• Like 1

I've seen his goal a few times... and it's quality! If you look at the reply just as Duff cuts the ball back Villa was out of position however, his reaction was about 3 seconds quicker then Ryall and I would say most defenders ... He shifts his position and the rest is history...

It wasn't a spectacular goal but all class in the finish...

I know this has been mentioned a few times, but sitting behind the goal on Saturday night being able to witness Villa perform his magic was well worth the trip up. As soon as Villa got the ball he was always gunna turn his opponent. His exquisite first touch and tidy finish is something I will always treasure depsite being quite drunk.

This, exactly!

I don't think we've quite realised yet what is actually happening. As we settle down into our relationship with the other members of CFG we'll see other players of the stature of David Villa come to play for us. It's just going to be bloody marvellous.

I wish that they could stay for a whole season rather than 10 games. maybe next year...

Villa should score a goal a game, says Jets striker Bridges

October 14, 2014

Ray Gatt

FORMER Leeds United and Newcastle Jets striker Michael Bridges reckons star import David Villa is phenomenal and predicts the Spaniard will score a goal a game during his A-League stint.

Despite starting off the bench in his debut in the national competition, Villa is off to a flying start, nabbing the equaliser in Melbourne City’s 1-1 draw with Sydney FC last Saturday.

It was his first outing of a 10-match guest stint in the A-League before the World Cup winner joins his main employer, New York City FC, in January to prepare for the start of the Major-league Soccer season in March.

According to Bridges, who played with Sunderland, Leeds and Bolton during a 14-year career in England, there is enough time for Villa to make a huge impact here on and off the field.

“The guy is phenomenal,” Bridges said yesterday. “The goal he scored the other night was simply fantastic. It showed the huge difference between an elite player like him and a very good player. He knew from the moment he got the ball what he was going to do.

“It’s like a pool or snooker player — he was thinking a few moves ahead. Once he had the ball at his feet, he had the situation sized up and he was always going to score.

“It’s a privilege to have him playing in Australia. I hope the fans here can appreciate what they are seeing.

“I am sure there will be a lot of young players watching his every move, and that can’t be a bad thing. They’ll learn so much from watching a player of his calibre.”

Bridges, who is head of the Emerging Jets program, has no doubts there is substantially more to come from Villa in the next nine weeks.

“How many goals can he score? Plenty,” Bridges said. “I would expect he would score a goal a game, he is that good. I just hope he is off his game against the Jets this week.”

There have been some suggestions Villa could score enough goals during his guest stint to be a serious contender to win the A-League’s Golden Boot for top scorer. Adam Taggart, currently with Fulham, won the award last season after scoring 16 goals for the Jets.

He would need to score doubles and maybe a hat-trick or two, but Bridges wasn’t prepared to go that far.

“It will be good enough just to see him score a goal a game,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/villa-should-score-a-goal-a-game-says-jets-striker-bridges/story-fn63e0vj-1227089371251

Edited by Murfy1

He might have to put more than 20% effort into the next game.

Sure he might score , but would be great if he could help the rest of the team out.  

Am i the only one that saw his lack of movement and effort on Saturday . 

I sat in front of  mad Sydney and Villa fan on saturday...    

When he scored his words were " Man, he stands there does nothing, then from nowhere scores "  then he got all emotional 

Disagree slightly. The role he should play is the attacking creative position. Yes he needs to close down and pressure but to a point. Its pointless tracking back and becoming fourth or fifth midfielder. He needs to remain the further most forward as often as possible. If player marking him wants to risk and push forward then better for us.His workrate without the ball therefore needs to be judged on what he does with the ball. It may seem lazy or not pulling his weight but IMO he played exactly how he should we just need 90 mins and hopefully hes up to it by rnd 3. This week maybe 65.

• Like 2

Sure he might score , but would be great if he could help the rest of the team out.  

When he scored his words were " Man, he stands there does nothing, then from nowhere scores "  then he got all emotional 

He scored in his first 15 minutes of play since July... What the hell do expect of him? Run up and down, box to box all day?

I didn't see Ryall get too involved once Villa was on, such was his presence.

To say he didn't help the team out and had 'lack of effort' is just dumb sorry.

Yeh Sydney were very very conscious of him and always had a player sitting right in front of him on the left. Would like to see him playerd central this weekend, coz if he is handed the sort of opportunities Duga was given, then he will score a bag

if we had him last season with the chance that went begging he would have won the golden boot for us.

He scored in his first 15 minutes of play since July... What the hell do expect of him? Run up and down, box to box all day?

I agree. We've got one of the world's best players playing for us, a quiet, thoughtful and humble man, and a thoroughly professional footballer, who debuts for us in our beloved red-and-white stripes, scores the goal enabling us to bring home a point from a tough match, thereby providing us with lasting images that 12 months ago we couldn't even dream about...and some people are not satisfied?

I do wonder sometimes...

• Like 3

Hahahaha, I have no trouble with that at all. The fact that within the blink of an eye and a couple of touches and a strike he beat the donkey Ryall and slotted it past Oggers and the diving Janjetovic is fcuken fine by me. That it made Arnie look like he was eating a poo pie is even better :up::hoff:

How many strikers have we had that have been half that clinical ?  What's better, he'll do it again !

I agree. We've got one of the world's best players playing for us, a quiet, thoughtful and humble man, and a thoroughly professional footballer, who debuts for us in our beloved red-and-white stripes, scores the goal enabling us to bring home a point from a tough match, thereby providing us with lasting images that 12 months ago we couldn't even dream about...and some people are not satisfied?

I do wonder sometimes...

Oh i'm satisfied, Couldn't ask for a better start - Game 1 in the red and white all over the media, didn't lose. could have scored multiple in the first half. and probably should have walked away with the points. If their is any disatisfaction its we let a game slip that we should have won.

it was just an observation. Another observation is our defense fell to pieces in the second half. 

I'm sure he will be great this week after another 8 days training with the team.

to the people who are whinging about his lack of effort, the whole reason why he was on the bench v Sydney was to get the match fitness and tuning so that he would be 100% to start in the coming weeks! Bit tough when Sydney are man marking him on the wing, our players should have exploited the other options which would have had more space than Villa did on the left

Why dont the haters judge him after looking at his accolades and also after his 10 match stint, not after 20 mins (in which time he even scored the winner and first ever goal for the club)

• Like 1

to the people who are whinging about his lack of effort, the whole reason why he was on the bench v Sydney was to get the match fitness and tuning so that he would be 100% to start in the coming weeks! Bit tough when Sydney are man marking him on the wing, our players should have exploited the other options which would have had more space than Villa did on the left

Why dont the haters judge him after looking at his accolades and also after his 10 match stint, not after 20 mins (in which time he even scored the winner and first ever goal for the club)

No, that honour goes to club legend Ben Kantarovski.

• Like 2

No, that honour goes to club legend Ben Kantarovski.

And even if you count Melbourne City as a new club it's who ever scored in the FFA Cup.

He tracked back a number of times and helped out.  A bit rude to say "he did nothing"

The thing is though, he's still not fit enough to press full on like Mate was, if he tried he would have had no energy for anything else.

That goal was amazing.  People might go on about spectacular goals like say Gamiero's, but honestly Villa's was a lot harder.  To take a first touch like that and open up the goals and then finish with pin point accuracy - I wonder if another player in the A League could have done it.  

• Like 1

I reckon we just look at it for what it is- PR for the A-League.

It looks like it's working too :D

The more interest the better! We have such a young league and I think attracting international superstars like Villa will ultimately have a great impact on the game here.
For now, let's just enjoy the 10 game stint and lavish the fact that he is playing for us haha!