Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Interesting... all along we thought we could exploit NYCFC for our own benefit when ultimately, we're the ones being used to do dodgy dealings  :lol:

it could come back and benefit us again if we get him on loan considering we would only have to a portion of the 62k he is earning.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/david-villa-has-been-secretly-planning-his-aleague-arrival-for-weeks-watching-footage/story-e6frf4gl-1227076078947

DAVID Villa has been secretly planning his A-League onslaught for weeks, watching Melbourne City training and match footage ahead of his arrival on Tuesday.

City teammate Jonatan Germano has played a key role in the integration process, with the Argentine translating coach John van ‘t Schip’s team tactics in to Spanish for Villa.

Melbourne City yesterday announced Villa, Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer, will take part in the A-League season launch at Etihad Stadium next Tuesday and be available for City’s Round 1 clash with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on October 11.

Villa, 32, told the Herald Sun “it’s an honour” to be considered one of the best players to ever have come to the A-League.

“But I would really like the fans to have the same opinion when I leave based on how I have played,” Villa said.

Top 10 A-League goals

3:35

“For this reason, from the very first day I am in Melbourne, I am going to work hard so that they don’t change their mind and so that they view my time there as something important for their league, for the club and for the sport in general.”

Villa, on loan from fellow Manchester City-owned club New York City FC, can play up to 10 games during his guest stint, in which his wages are paid outside the salary cap.

Asked about the lofty expectations surrounding how many A-League goals he will score, Villa was unperturbed.

Top 10 A-League marquees

2:12

“I am a striker and a striker should always score goals,” he said.

“As well as doing many different things on the field I will try to help the team in the best way possible. Hopefully I will score many goals, because that’s what would be good for the team.”

Throughout September, van ‘t Schip and City coaching staff have been sending footage to Villa, who has been training in New York.

Footage has been combined with audio from Germano, who instructs Villa in Spanish where he needs to be and what he needs to do to fit in to the team’s structure.

“I have been watching the footage of the team’s tactics, their games and their style of play,” Villa said.

“I hope to adapt very quickly in order to be able to help them to become the best team there is and to win as many games as possible.”

Top 10 A-League controversies

2:40

Despite arriving just five days before Melbourne City’s first game, Villa will put his hand up to play.

He will wear the No.9 jersey throughout his A-League stint.

“I’ve enjoyed training in New York but footballers want to play games.

“I feel very fit at the moment and am looking forward to playing and training with the squad.”

And I bet the footage he did watch was either 1) like watching a recent Adam Sandler film "spose to be a comedy but David's not laughing" or 2) a really scary horror film where David had to look away from shock :)

Would we pretty much win every game that Villa starts in? If so thats 30 points right there.... and potentially more since JVS seemed to indicate he may play more than 10

Where did he indicate he may play more that 10?

It is suggested here: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villas-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-could-be-extended-20140930-10nwk7.html?

What I got from the quote of the interview is that he will play above 5 games but may not play the full ten but that is my interpretation, I could be wrong, let's hope I'm wrong and the article is right.

My mail is David Villa signed a "David Beckham" like deal.. Were he will get extra income from Marketing, bouneses, and that all important Shirt Sales.. Who knows what other plans are at work.

I've also heard the same thing regarding the 10 game guest stint... It could be more...???

Not sure if a guest stint can turn into a loan deal... Will just have to wait and see...

All salary from loan deals from parent clubs count (Lampard rule).

So only 10 game guest stint is exempt, which makes it impossible to bring him on a loan.

Unless - We do the 10 game guest stint, load up all his salary in that.   Then reapply for loan deal for that 60k.  But given FFA have cracked down, that would seem more a bending of rules than the Lampard situation.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

The word on the NYCFC forum is that 60k is his base salary and that the rest is being paid for as loan fee by Melbourne City. Also, it's not a trick to reduce his cost against the MLS salary cap as MLS includes all payments received from other sources i.e. loan wages in their calculations, otherwise all the clubs would just sign DP players for non-marquee wages and then back load them with all sorts of other payments to avoid them being made DPs.

I honestly think that he'll enjoy living in Melbourne so much he'll want to stay. I've never been to New york but Melbourne is a really good place to live and i think if Villa gives us a chance he'll enjoy living here.

If only we could organize a mini bus to take him to see penguin parade or puffing billy.

He would be sold!

• Like 6

I honestly think that he'll enjoy living in Melbourne so much he'll want to stay. I've never been to New york but Melbourne is a really good place to live and i think if Villa gives us a chance he'll enjoy living here.

If only we could organize a mini bus to take him to see penguin parade or puffing billy.

He would be sold!

The danger is that we could end up against the Giant Shrimp and Big Banana from up North, and as good as the penguins and the steam train are, your talking a whole new level right there.

There is a growing movement to erect a giant Dim Sim modelled on the South Melbourne Market ones which would no doubt tip it back in our favour, but who knows if the State Government will see the good sense in it .

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

He would be sold!

The danger is that we could end up against the Giant Shrimp and Big Banana from up North, and as good as the penguins and the steam train are, your talking a whole new level right there.

There is a growing movement to erect a giant Dim Sim modelled on the South Melbourne Market ones which would no doubt tip it back in our favour, but who knows if the State Government will see the good sense in it .

maybe we could tempt him to stay with a giant churros. We do  have a lot of tapas bars.

He would be sold!

maybe we could tempt him to stay with a giant churros. We do  have a lot of tapas bars.

Depends if the spuds working in the tapas bars still say it pay-ella or get it right and say pay-eya

Edited by drewmelbcity

He would be sold!

maybe we could tempt him to stay with a giant churros. We do have a lot of tapas bars.

Depends if the spuds working in the tapas bars still say it pay-ella or get it right and say pay-eya

You'd think if they can say "Straya" instead of "Australia" softening the "L" shouldn't be an issue

Ilusionado con llegar a Melbourne para representar Melbourne City FC en laHyundai A-League New York City FC #together

Excited to be heading to Melbourne to represent Melbourne City FC in the A-League #together

1530489_10152296175047026_35664545326393

thats a lot of likes

With the first game getting closer it is really dawning on me the significance of having David Villa a part of our side. I expect memberships to take off once Villa does a little media work and performs well come round 1. I am a little shattered in not being able to afford to attend the first game in Sydney and seeing him work his magic but Sunday fortnight can't come quick enough as I look forward to attending AAMI park and watching him tear Newcastle to pieces. 

If the club have the intentions to get the VERY BEST from villa then I just can't see how they would be allowing him to play in the first round against sydney. And if he were to play first round I couldn't see him playing more than 20 minutes which would defy getting the very best out of him. If we are to get the most out of him, given the time restraints regarding his arrival and the season beginning, then 10 days of training with the team prior to the first home game would be the best way to allow him to get adapted to conditions, environment and the teammates.

• Like 3

Harry Kewell warns Melbourne City star David Villa of ‘rude awakening’ awaiting in A-League

Melanie Dinjaski

October 03, 2014

IF David Villa expects the A-League to be a piece of cake, former Socceroo Harry Kewell has a warning for the Spanish recruit — it won’t be.

“Everyone that comes over here thinks it’s going to be easy, and I think they get a rude awakening straight away,” Kewell said.

“It’s a tough and physical league and that’s what I was impressed with.

“I hope Villa is ready and brings people to the game and shows some wonderful skill, because he is a fantastic player and athlete.

“Let’s just hope he can put on a great show.”

Villa has shared the football field with the world’s best players. He’s won the Champions League, two Copa del Rey titles, three La Liga championships and the most coveted football prize of all — the World Cup.

And for part of the 2014/15 season, the striker will be playing in the A-League on loan from New York City FC, his new club owned by the same group who own Manchester City and Melbourne City.

Kewell was once in Villa’s shoes. He too was a high-profile player coming from top flight European football, shouldering the weight of expectation from A-League fans.

It’s not a walk in the park, and with Villa arriving in Australia just next week, he’s left limited time to acclimatise to Australian football.

“Damien Duff coming over and training with the team is good, because he’s getting a taste of it, so when the season does kick off, he’s going to be ready,” Kewell said.

In the past the marquee player entitlement was lazily used by clubs to put well-known but ageing footballers in an A-League jersey and flog them off as ‘valuable’ signings, when in reality they added little to the team except the slightest spike in jersey sales.

But in the last ten years, the A-League has come a long way.

“They’re not just grabbing players for the sake of their name anymore,” Kewell said.

“That’s a great thing, because clubs are taking more responsibility. They’re bringing players that benefit the team.”

Kewell was a huge name at Victory and City (formerly Heart), and though he’s kept busy these days with the football academy bearing his name, and most recently swimming with whales in tropical Queensland, he says he always makes time for the Melbourne derby.

Just don’t ask him who he’ll support.

“Now I’m retired I can cheer for both. I’ll sit on the fence with that one,” Kewell joked.

“The third week in the season, the derby’s on and it’s a game I can’t wait to sit and watch.”

It’s been an excellent period of growth for football locally, with the success of the FFA Cup and Australian teams in the Asian Champions League. But as the country prepares to host the Asian Cup, the big question mark is whether the Socceroos will ever reach the same heights they did in the mid 2000s.

The ‘golden era’ of Mark Viduka, Brett Emerton, Tony Popovic, Mark Schwarzer, John Aloisi and Kewell wearing the green and gold is well and truly over.

Some remnants of that successful time remain, such as scoring weapon Tim Cahill, but when the stalwarts hang up their boots in the coming years, where will the Socceroos be then?

A debutant for Australia at just 17, with talent that could not be ignored, Socceroos fans are left wondering — will we ever have another Harry Kewell?

“I hope so,” the man himself said.

“In football, in life, you hope to set a bar and if you set that bar, you hope that everyone’s going to try and surpass you because that means things get better for football in Australia.

“I made it to a level, and now everyone wants to beat that, and I’m hoping someone does.”

Those are big words.

But the passion Kewell has for the Socceroos hasn’t subsided since his retirement from professional football earlier this year.

“We’re a proud country and to go to a World Cup and not get a point is very disappointing. Conceding nine goals is not great, but there were glimpses,” he said.

“Yes we have a chance to win the Asian Cup, but I think all the other Asian teams are getting a lot better as well.

“It’s not going to be a walkover for the Australian team. They’re going to find it very hard, but fingers crossed.

“This is a great opportunity for Australia to win silverware.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/harry-kewell-warns-melbourne-city-star-david-villa-of-rude-awakening-awaiting-in-aleague/story-e6frf423-1227078084170

I'm torn on Villa playing the Sydney match.

I think there's a not unreasonable argument for Villa playing: he could be the difference, and could get the team a valuable round 1 win.

Also, it should be remembered that last season Harry Kewell, 35 and on his last legs, played 68 minutes in the round 1 Melbourne derby. He had been 'wrapped in cotton wool', with him doing minimal training for 3 weeks in the lead up to his round 1 debut (with there also being rumours of injury), and he could still play 2/3s of the game, and perform pretty well.

So if Villa is as fit as has been suggested (and he looks pretty fit in the above photos), then I reckon with a half-week of training (which he should get) Villa very possibly could be fit to play 30 to 45 mins against Sydney (and who knows, maybe a bit more), and in that game he could change the game and get us a win.

All up, the coaches have said that they'll base their decision regarding Villa on his fitness, so they should make the right call. And as far as I can see, the right call could either be Villa playing against Sydney or Villa playing a week later against Newcastle. 

Edited by Murfy1

Given that he will have only had a few days with the team it's not so bad he will play his first game away. Hopefully that will knock a bit of rust off and he will get a chance to gel with the team. Then he will be all good to go properly in front of the home crowd a week later.

I'm torn on Villa playing the Sydney match.

I think there's a not unreasonable argument for Villa playing: he could be the difference, and could get the team a valuable round 1 win.

Also, it should be remembered that last season Harry Kewell, 35 and on his last legs, played 68 minutes in the round 1 Melbourne derby. He had been 'wrapped in cotton wool', with him doing minimal training for 3 weeks in the lead up to his round 1 debut (with there also being rumours of injury), and he could still play 2/3s of the game, and perform pretty well.

So if Villa is as fit as has been suggested (and he looks pretty fit in the above photos), then I reckon with a half-week of training (which he should get) Villa very possibly could be fit to play 30 to 45 mins against Sydney (and who knows, maybe a bit more), and in that game he could change the game and get us a win.

All up, the coaches have said that they'll base their decision regarding Villa on his fitness, so they should make the right call. And as far as I can see, the right call could either be Villa playing against Sydney or Villa playing a week later against Newcastle. 

Same here. However I would loath it if he is selected to play purely for promotional reasons.