Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I'll be glad when he's gone. Hopefully the bandwagon/sky blue/city brigade will go with him!

No disrespect to those actual Man City supporters who have joined us on here, we've just had an influx of anti-heart/anti-red & white flogs who would like to think Melbourne Heart never existed.

Melbourne heart was a joke and a failure and probably would have folded by now Edited by Dylan

I'll be glad when he's gone. Hopefully the bandwagon/sky blue/city brigade will go with him!

No disrespect to those actual Man City supporters who have joined us on here, we've just had an influx of anti-heart/anti-red & white flogs who would like to think Melbourne Heart never existed.

Melbourne heart was a joke and a failure and probably would have folded by now

And your point is?

People still loved Melbourne Heart, and I resent having others tell me what I can and can't wear to a football match. People have no right to tell others what they should wear! Are people going to have a go at the guy who wore a Hull shirt on Sunday? I doubt it!

And in any case, our home shirt is white not sky blue!

Geez these journos get on my nerves sometimes. 1. It is not a massive blow David villa leaving. He was always going to leave. 2. Many fans bought memberships because of villa? Do they seriously think many fans bought full memberships for a handful of games by David villa? Better off buying single tickets.

I'd agree not many would have brought memberships just because of Villa but I'm sure it pushed a few people who were almost on board over the line. For many it eased the pain f the loss of losing the Heart and the Red and White home strip.

If he does go at the end of the month which by reading reports looks to be true, then the idea that he comes back for another three games is just going to make it a mess. I'm opposed to that idea.

He'd have to get settled in again and by that time Koren may have some good form. I'm a fan of Villa and it's been great seeing him knock in a few crucial goals but there's always that thought to remember that he's not a permanent member of the side. I've always been opposed to the guest stint idea.

If he does have to go at the end of the month he should go for good and let Melb City focus on the season and he can focus on NY.

Edited by interstatefan

Massive blow. A loss of promotional value and for the younger players, a mentor that they can emulate. By and large visa players have been underwhelming and the rare gems that have played in the A League stand out and lift the overall standard of the game. In Villa Melbourne got the whole package. If people signed up as members because of Villa - welcome and I hope that they remain with the team in subsequent seasons. If people make the time to come and see Villa play (either as new members or as walk ups), welcome and hopefully you will enjoy the match and be tempted to come again. The more people at the stadium the better the atmosphere and a greater chance for the teams to put on a show.

Here's the full report:

David Villa may not see out 10-game Melbourne City stint

Ray Gatt

October 21, 2014

DOUBTS have surfaced as to whether Spanish superstar David Villa will complete his 10-match guest stint in the A-League.

In what would be a massive blow for Melbourne City, The Australian has learned Villa could be required to depart for the US at the end of this month — just four games into his loan deal. Villa’s last appearance in Australia could be against Adelaide City at AAMI Park on Oct­ober 31.

Sources close to Villa have suggested New York FC, who signed him after the World Cup finals in Brazil and allowed him to play in Australia to keep him match-fit, are keen to have him back in the States as quickly as possible to start a marketing push ahead of the club’s debut in next season’s Major League Soccer competition.

It is believed Villa will go to New York early in November, though it is unknown how long he will be required to be over there. The Australian understands the clubs are in discussions with Melbourne hoping Villa can return to play three matches in December.

The Spaniard has taken the A-League by storm, scoring in each of his first two games against Sydney FC and the Newcastle Jets to help City escape with draws after they looked to be heading for defeats.

One of the most highly regarded players in world football, Villa is seen as the best player — even ahead of Alessandro Del Piero — to play in the A-League.

He has already made an enormous impact both on and off the field since arriving in Melbourne.

He has made such an ­impression that former Leeds United striker Michael Bridges predicted last week that Villa was capable of scoring a goal a game during his stay in Australia.

Rebranded from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City after they were purchased by the Abu Dhabi United Group (owners of EPL giants Manchester City), the Victorian club has gone from a little player to a big fish.

A club that struggled for support in their first few seasons in the A-League, City now enjoy record membership sales on the back of Villa’s signing. At last count, the club had secured over 8000 members and was pushing towards 10,000.

The World Cup winner, capped 97 times for Spain, and former Valencia, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid attacker played his first home game on Sunday at AAMI Park and it was no surprise that City attracted a crowd in excess of 15,000.

It was the club’s biggest attendance, excluding games against Melbourne Victory, since they came into the league in the season of 2010-11.

But news of his possible early departure could cause the club problems. Many fans would have purchased memberships expecting Villa to play 10 games with the club — five of them at home.

Unfortunately, the situation would be out of the control of Melbourne City given Villa is only on loan from New York FC.

City officials did not return The Australian’s calls yesterday.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/david-villa-may-not-see-out-10game-melbourne-city-stint/story-e6frg6n6-1227096601574?nk=142d8b1f51d4d9cceefb16b5c4dbbd16

A lot of inaccuracies in that article, and it's not nearly as dogmatic about Villa's departure as Gatt's tweet.

IIRC there's never been a definitive statement from City about the duration of Villa's stint with us, or indeed his actual status (guest or loan), and I doubt that they're going to respond publicly to these latest assertions - it's not the "CFG way."

I just hope that it isn't true because we have at last improved the support we're getting, and we need to keep that support and not lose credibility with the public at this time.

Studs up blog with Dave Davutovic.

says he is leaving after the Adelaide game and might come back in December. Apparently the reason is family reasons. 

Hi Tom, my information is that he is returning for family reasons first and foremost. he will also do marketing while he is there obviously, as he is New York City's marquee.
Edited by Dylan

Also from the blog. Villa was always returning in November. Melbourne new that from the start. If Lampard was here he would have stayed until January. 

Let me pose this question to you. Would you prefer to have Villa for 4-5 games or none at all? But it remains to be seen how it pans out, I suspect all 3 - Man City already has - will find their feet in their respective markets.The City Football Group (including the Melbourne arm aka Melbourne City) was aware of Villa's intention to return to New York in November. Whether they thought the December stint/return was on the cards I'm not sure. 
Edited by Dylan

Will all be forgiven if he puts two past the tards this weekend and we smash them. I don't mind him returning ultimately he is not our player and has been a luxury having him around for the last few weeks. My biggest concern is now that he will be gone in two weeks it leaves us without a star forward. The issue with Joshua Kennedy needs to be sorted. If he is not playing then release his contract. If the issue is to have him around to the end of the season for insurance of injuries then loan him to us until his contract is up. At the end of the day we have to accept Villa was going to leave at some point and with only two draws from his two appearances it is not like we are dominating teams. I'm as peeved as the next supporter but I always had in mind that this would be the case.

Edited by drewmelbcity

We all knew he wasn't our player.

Whats extremely disappointing is that CFG didn't tell what the deal was from the start. Everyone has assumed 10 game, CFG knew about  this common assumption by media and fans(if they don't then they are worse then the previous admin) and they simply let everyone believe it.  What harm could it have done to correct this assumption?

Come out and say: Villa is contracted for x games to Melbourne City.

Simple.

So it all boils down to everyone inside CFG, including the high-ups at Heart HQ, knowing all along that Villa was coming to play four matches for us and then go back to New York "for family reasons" and a bit of marketing bullshit. Hence the low-key arrival, the absence of confirmation of loan/guest/10-matches etc., no special "Villa Memberships" and so on and so forth. And everyone outside CFG, including media and supporters, was kept in the dark. Maybe I'm being a little ungracious, but I'm not sure whether the longer-term interests of the club are well-served by this.

Well, I hope he'll come back in December, and I'm pleased that I endured the pain of being on crutches to get to see him play for us. But atm I've got pretty mixed feelings about the whole business.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/david-villa-will-return-to-new-york-but-melbourne-city-still-hopeful-of-his-return-to-the-aleague/story-e6frf4gl-122709696431

Looks like they knew all along.

Disappointing. I'd have been happier if they'd said from the start he'd be here for 4 games. Now it feels like we lost something rather than gained Villa for a stint

So it all boils down to everyone inside CFG, including the high-ups at Heart HQ, knowing all along that Villa was coming to play four matches for us and then go back to New York "for family reasons" and a bit of marketing bullshit. Hence the low-key arrival, the absence of confirmation of loan/guest/10-matches etc., no special "Villa Memberships" and so on and so forth. And everyone outside CFG, including media and supporters, was kept in the dark. Maybe I'm being a little ungracious, but I'm not sure whether the longer-term interests of the club are well-served by this.

Well, I hope he'll come back in December, and I'm pleased that I endured the pain of being on crutches to get to see him play for us. But atm I've got pretty mixed feelings about the whole business.

You do raise some interesting points there JW. Will be very interesting to see how this all plays out and affects the casuals who were there on Sunday to see if they will come again.

I'm concerned about Kennedy and his ongoing injury issues. We'll have a currently injured marquee and a recurring long-term injured Australian marquee. Yes, we have better injury management and training facilities but there is considerable risk for the team. To put it in context, I think that we can comfortably meet my expectation of finishing 6th this season, a big step up from next season but City/CFG will need to review their recruitment strategies.

So Fairfax Media journo Michael Lynch wrote this a few hours ago:

'Villa is set to play against Melbourne Victory this weekend and in the round four game against Adelaide. 

The coaching staff are then hopeful he will return from his visit to New York and be available for rounds six to 11, culminating in the second derby on December 20.'

So he only misses two matches?

Edited by Harrison

So Fairfax Media journo Michael Lynch wrote this a few hours ago:

'Villa is set to play against Melbourne Victory this weekend and in the round four game against Adelaide. 

The coaching staff are then hopeful he will return from his visit to New York and be available for rounds six to 11, culminating in the second derby on December 20.'

So he only misses two matches?

You mean he only misses 1 game? Round 5?

• Like 1