Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

If he's only missing 1 week, then I'm fine with that. Was expecting him to miss one anyway.

If it's truly family reasons, why can't we put up his family in a luxury mansion in Melbourne somewhere for a few weeks? Surely they'd prefer Melbourne in the summer to NYC in the winter which is not even remotely pleasant.

• Like 1

Melbourne City football chiefs are hopeful that Spanish superstar David Villa will be in Australia to play in the club's round 11 pre-Christmas derby with Melbourne Victory, despite the fact he is expected to return to New York for a brief period during his guest contract with the club.

Under the terms of the loan deal with his employer New York City FC, Villa could play up to 10 games with Melbourne City. The period during which he is available to the club began at the A-League kick-off and could finish just before Christmas when City plays Victory in the second derby of the season.

The Melbourne clubs meet this Saturday in a round three blockbuster on Saturday at Etihad Stadium in the first derby of the 2014-15 campaign.

Club sources said on Tuesday that City coaching staff knew Villa would want to return to New York at some point during his stay to see his wife and children and help them settle into their new schools and to life in the US city.

Villa is set to play against Melbourne Victory this weekend and in the round four game against Adelaide. 

The coaching staff are then hopeful he will return from his visit to New York and be available for rounds six to 11, culminating in the second derby on December 20.

At his first press conference in Australia, Villa made it clear he was not guaranteed to stay for the first 10 weeks of the season, saying it was up to New York City and Melbourne City to work out the details of his schedule.

Both clubs are owned by English Premier League champion, Manchester City.

Villa has been pivotal in City's first two games of the season - against Sydney FC and Newcastle - kicking draw-saving goals in each. 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villa-trip-to-new-york-was-expected-say-melbourne-city-sources-20141020-119571.html

See also http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/david-villa-to-new-york-looks-like-taking-place-early-but-will-he-return-to-melbourne-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227097347735

Edited by jw1739

Only thing that's a circus is the Australian football media. Always been too quick to jump to conclusions, Everyone has just assumed as a guess stint it would be the full 10 games.

FFS remember when an a-league club was 'close' to signing beckham, after a EOI :droy:

All they do is continually write sensationalist e-articles for page hits.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

Let's say CFG is looking out for our best interests. The one thing I think of that all of us have been hoping for is for villa to miss a game so he can finish with the derby in round eleven. If this is the case then this is probably the best way to do it without feigning injury or pulling him out and looking like we are just wanting him to play in the derby.......possibly.

What a circus. Fark off CFG. Give us back our club.

I'm happy with the squad now, and what circus just a few articles written that Villa may not complete his 10 games and so what of it, at the end of the day his not a complete squad member. I will always remember seeing David Villa score a goal for MY team. That is something I will not forget soon and CFG made that happen. 

And how was it ever OUR club, took them bloody light years to get rid of that muppet Aloisi, the old club seldom listened to supporters. 

If supporter think it is going to happen over night then they must be very ignorant. We are two games into the new regime and we are expecting to be world beaters already. Give it time, when they took over Manchester City it didn't happen straight away it took them a few years just have to have patience and believe in their blueprint (pardon the pun).

Don't see the big deal tbh, we always knew we were going to lose him, who cares if its in 2 rounds or 6?

"But KOH we could've used him to sure a spot up in the top echelon of the league if he was here for longer"

And then what? Once he leaves we would just slip back down the ladder, all those early wins would be for nothing.

We'll finally be able to get a true reflection of how good our squad is when he leaves.

A pre-emptive statement from the club would have headed off all the speculation and uncertainty.

for sure.

If they'd set this in stone from the outset and told us all: David will be in Melbourne 1 week before the start of the season and we have David contracted for rounds 1-4 and 6-11 of the A_league then none of this embarrassment -and that's what it is-would be occurring.

Respect the club, respect the fans, respect the league- or Fark Off CFG.

David Villa will return to New York but Melbourne City still hopeful of his return to the A-League

THE December 20 Melbourne derby still looms as David Villa’s last A-League guest game of the season, despite returning to New York in the meantime.

Melbourne City officials are quietly confident Villa’s A-League guest stint will extend beyond the home clash with Adelaide United on Friday week.

Villa, who’s scored two goals in as many games, signed a 10-game guest stint on loan from brother club New York City.

But the Spanish superstar will fly back to New York in just under a fortnight to join his young family.

“We are incredibly fortunate to have David as a member of our squad for the first part of the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season. We would obviously want a player of his calibre to represent the Club in as many games of the guest allowance as possible between now and the commencement of MLS pre-season training in January,” a club spokesman said.

“The precise number of Hyundai A League games that David will play will be determined by the best interests of the player and his now New York based family and the prioritisation of the requirements of both New York City FC and Melbourne City FC. That means that his playing and training schedule will be the product of all of those factors and subject to ongoing assessment.”

It’s understood Villa’s family bond is behind the return, and the City Football Group was aware of this plan before his Melbourne arrival.

While his Australian return is not locked in, Melbourne City officials are planning for his return.

While New York City FC’s pre-season does not start until January 24, Villa’s wife Patricia and three kids - the youngest of which, Luca, turns two in January - have relocated to the Big Apple.

He will also undertake a series of marketing activities ahead of New York City’s debut MLS campaign, starting in March.

He could return in time for the December 7 clash at home to Brisbane Roar, before featuring against Western Sydney on December 13 before a swansong against Melbourne Victory in Round 11.

That would allow him to return to New York in time for Christmas, although City would try and sway him to stay for the Boxing Day clash with Perth Glory at AMAI Park.

There are no fixed dates regarding when the 10 games must be played, under FFA’s guest player regulations, except that a club can only have one guest player at any given time.

Villa, 32, was the first signing of the fledgling New York City FC franchise back in June, penning a three-year contract.

Villa started his first game at the weekend after coming on as a substitute against Sydney FC in the opening round.

A record non-derby home gate of 15,717 was on hand to greet the rebadged club with its cast of news stars last Sunday at AAMI Park.

Melbourne Victory hosts City in Saturday’s Melbourne derby at Etihad Stadium.

So it all boils down to everyone inside CFG, including the high-ups at Heart HQ, knowing all along that Villa was coming to play four matches for us and then go back to New York "for family reasons" and a bit of marketing bullshit. Hence the low-key arrival, the absence of confirmation of loan/guest/10-matches etc., no special "Villa Memberships" and so on and so forth. And everyone outside CFG, including media and supporters, was kept in the dark. Maybe I'm being a little ungracious, but I'm not sure whether the longer-term interests of the club are well-served by this.

Well, I hope he'll come back in December, and I'm pleased that I endured the pain of being on crutches to get to see him play for us. But atm I've got pretty mixed feelings about the whole business.

Of course, if there is a family issue, it's fair enough that he heads off to take care of his business. But if this was all part of a plan, it's just really poorly worked, to be honest. If they had been upfront about his status from the start, we would have been delighted with however many games he stayed for. Now it sort of gives the impression that we've been stitched up, despite getting to have David Villa in our colours for at least four games, something that was beyond our wildest dreams 12 months ago.

The whole thng just comes across as messy and disorganised.

It was all good to get him to come here, but to seemingly come and go as he wishes, with no garauntee of a return, seems very odd. Lets hope that talk about him potentially not returning is just incorrect speculation.

Many fans may well have brought memberships on the proviso that he would be here  (especially if the 3 game memberships/packs have been released), which really could come across quite dishonestly to some.

Not a great look for the club overall.

If he leaves after round five and then comes back in time for the packed match schedule around Christmas then I don't really see a problem with it. If anything, its allows us to get used to how we'll play when he does leave for good and possibly get Josh in a few weeks earlier then expected. Furthermore it allows him to be used in two of the biggest matches of the season (vs. WSW and vs. the Vi4it0rs) whereas he wouldn't have been able to play in them otherwise. .

That being said, its typical to see the local football websites (such as The World Game) going with doom and gloom articles that don't even reference the quote implying that he was likely to come back. Not that surprising really as most of the local sites love to report sensationalized rubbish as a form of clickbait (or merely articles about Wanderers fans jumping up and down).

• Like 1

I honestly think that he'll enjoy living in Melbourne so much he'll want to stay. I've never been to New york but Melbourne is a really good place to live and i think if Villa gives us a chance he'll enjoy living here.

If only we could organize a mini bus to take him to see penguin parade or puffing billy.

He would be sold!

I could probably snatch up a penguin and bring it to next home game. There just up the road from me.

• Like 1

Davutovic and a few other journalists have said earlier today that the club is confident of getting him back in December and always was. Davutovic reasoned that because they were

Confident they let the 10 game line continue in the public since he will get close if not to 10 games if he came back in december

Most of the football supporters, watchers, and new members will feel somewhat cheated by this..

I don't really mind if his here or he goes because Melbourne Heart/City is my club and also because I understand the football world. What I don't like about this, is that it seems to put the MLS league above the A-League... that really boils my fucking blood...

Australian Football is head and shoulders above American Soccer... and always will be...

Most of the football supporters, watchers, and new members will feel somewhat cheated by this..

I don't really mind if his here or he goes because Melbourne Heart/City is my club and also because I understand the football world. What I don't like about this, is that it seems to put the MLS league above the A-League... that really boils my fucking blood...

Australian Football is head and shoulders above American Soccer... and always will be...

It isn't about football, it's about money and marketing potential and that puts the MLS way above the HAL

That's sucks. It's bad for our club, the A-League and the sport in Australia.

CFG are always going to give preference to Manchester City and NYCFC. We will always be the "youngest sibling", so to speak.

Too early to tell IMO, they have spent $11 odd m and more on MCFC so how is that bad for our club? and I do believe that they want us to succeed just like any of their other clubs but as n i k o mentioned, Villa will always be a NYCFC player and will be playing for them.

Typical media hype, there is no other sport news to sensationalise so they will always report on David Villa. Don't believe everything you heard and read. 

Lets be honest MLS is better quality. Without Villa we would have duga leading the line, NY Red Bull has Henry. NYCFC have lampard, Villa. Orlando signed Kaka. We are MLS's little brother and following in their footsteps in how to grow a new league where football isnt the dominant sport in that country. If we follow their path and learn from their mistakes etc we will become a better league of better quality but right now theres is of better quality, no doubt

• Like 1

Lets be honest MLS is better quality. Without Villa we would have duga leading the line, NY Red Bull has Henry. NYCFC have lampard, Villa. Orlando signed Kaka. We are MLS's little brother and following in their footsteps in how to grow a new league where football isnt the dominant sport in that country. If we follow their path and learn from their mistakes etc we will become a better league of better quality but right now theres is of better quality, no doubt I don't agree that it is better really overall. I watch quite a few of the MLS matches on ESPN and the quality of many of the matches is poor.

Yes, the MLS has the bigger names, but because there are more teams, the quality is spread much thinner overall. That reduces the impact of the quality foreign players.

We will be playing 2nd priority though given the size of the commercial value between the US and here. CFG paid 100 million for the NYC licence, whilst paying only 11 million for a club here that was already up and running.

The bit the frustrates me most though about this Villa situation is that it may well have been true that Lampard was more interested in coming here.

Its a missed opportunity really to hopefully get one of them to commit to some more pre-season time here and also stay here to play 10 matches without the circus. It's all about the commitment really, or the perception that it opens up that we are just an afterthought.

Edited by Heart_fan