Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Has it actually been confirmed that this is happening yet or are people simply accepting it without question?

Confirmed, though no official statement on the website. If it wasn't the case the club would be profusely denying it.

Would be pretty funny if Villa is named in the match day squad for round 5's game. Everyone in the media would be shocked! 

Has it actually been confirmed that this is happening yet or are people simply accepting it without question?

Confirmed, though no official statement on the website. If it wasn't the case the club would be profusely denying it.

Would be pretty funny if Villa is named in the match day squad for round 5's game. Everyone in the media would be shocked!

I would love it more than anything if he stayed but always thought he would play between 3 and 7 games only wish it was seven

Anyway, I think I'm over all this from Melbourne City. I'm taking a leaf out of KSK's book and I'm going to spend less time thinking about how well or how poorly a bunch of numpties are managing a football club and more time getting on with the rest of my life. No-one cares a jot about what we supporters think anyway.

I moved to Sydney a month ago which has helped to care less. I went to the first Villa game up there and was simply underwhelmed by the team except for Villa's strike. That helped too. And the fact that Allianz Stadium is awful (I won't be catching any Sydney FC games like I thought I might- just don't care for them or the stadium). 

City are doing me a favour by keeping JVS and cutting Villa short. If Heart were playing well and things were looking good I'd probably have found the move to Sydney even more difficult. As it is I'm glad I'm not paying a membership. 

LOL probs just a disgruntled victory fan trying to stir the pot. Anyway we deserved to win both games, without our marquee and aussie marquee so plenty of upside

Yeah just with one of the best strikers in the world. You only draw games you "deserve" to win if the referee kills you or some really bad luck happens. Neither of those happened. We got what we deserved. I'm not the type to make excuses though.

I'm not a Victory troll thank you I've been on this forum for ages just lost my login details when I changed computers so added an x to my name and started again. 

• Like 1

Honestly, no they really wouldn't. We said when we first came on this forum that City do not go public about things, and that is still just as true as back in January. Especially so in this scenario; CFG has a hard and fast rule that they don't issue statements or press conferences to respond to rumours. They didn't even issue a statement - they didn't even leak a memo to the press - a few months back when there was a whirlwind of stories around the UK saying that Soriano had been charged by a Spanish court and UEFA was going to ban him from all football-related activities (including running CFG). They just ignored the stories and everyone forgot about it, and that's what they will do here.

Maybe it's true. Maybe it's false. But until I hear that a member of CFG or Melbourne City has publicly acknowledged that it's happening I'm not going to get worked up. Incidentally, the scuttlebutt on the NYCFC forum is that he's going over to the US for a series of obligatory promotional events (the team's kit announcements, which MLS orchestrates and makes clubs turn into a media circus, mainly but possibly some other stuff) and that he'll come straight back again as soon as he's had his picture taken, so really even if it is true, who knows if Villa will actually fail to make it to 10 games?

Edited by Falastur

this guy can fuck off, im greatfull that he has played for us but he doesnt put the effort in if he were anyone else he would cop criticism left right and centre

Fully agree.

I'd rather a team full of players willing to put the work in than one that just hasn't got his focus here at all.

Thanks for coming Villa but I think your time is up here. Good luck in NYC.

Fuck off Villa.. You showed nothing of your quality and your direct opponent was a 20yr old kid who made his first start of the season..

The club may have rolled out the red carpet for you but to us supporters you were fucking shit tonight in a big game were we all expected more ...

Don't worry though the MLS is an easier league for you..

Fuck off Villa.. You showed nothing of your quality and your direct opponent was a 20yr old kid who made his first start of the season..

The club may have rolled out the red carpet for you but to us supporters you were fucking shit tonight in a big game were we all expected more ...

Don't worry though the MLS is an easier league for you..

Are you for real? He owned Galloway in that first half. If things didn't go pear shaped that second half, you'd be tonguing his balls right now.

Sure he looked gone after that, but by then the whole team had lost its structure.

• Like 1

So often in the second half that he had plenty of room but the ball wasn't played to him. Instead we just went sideways or backwards. The man is used to world class delivery. Now he's waiting for through balls from Ramsay and Murdocca.

In terms of tracking back, I'm sure he wasn't instructed to.

• Like 1

When you concede five goals the first and only place you look is defense, our lb and rb are weak and victory exploited that.

Villa was a huge part of our defensive problems tonight, didn't track back and put a shift in, left ramsey 2 on 1 time and time again, people will justify Villas performance. I honestly believe hes a defensive liability, we were basically playing with 10 men when they had the ball tonight. He has scored two goals, but as a left winger you have to track back and help out the defence aswell, his performance tonight was shameful. He lost the ball on a few occasions and put no effort into winning it back, one of the most lazy performances i've ever seen.

• Like 1

Liability? His position wide on the left is almost solely dependent on service from the left back.

He was crucified time and again on the few occasions Ramsey played the simple ball he should play regularly it opened up in a good interchange with Duga. His frustration and body language was poor but seriously what do expect of a guest player that has not got much emotional investment in the team apart from developing his "own" personal fitness.

Will cheer him this Friday and be glad he came, but hope CFG learn from this experiment. 4 or even 10 game loan stints are pointless and don't benefit long term in the teams development.

Liability? His position wide on the left is almost solely dependent on service from the left back

I said defensive liability, when Victory had the ball it was 11 men against 10, and I don't think anyone can deny that? Didn't pressure the ball carrier when in his vacinity, didn't track back to give any assistance to Ramsey (not making excuses for Ramseys terrible performance either, hes a shit left back and thats a fact), didn't put in a second effort when losing the ball. He was a passenger last night, especially when the going got tough in the 2nd half.

And if his performance was affected by his lack of motivation as a guest player which i'm sure it was, then thats not really good enough either to be fair.

Can't help but think that something triggered a change of heart by New York City (possibly the injury to Lampard?), and that this change was sudden and one that neither Villa nor Melbourne City could do anything about. Villa in all his interviews seems to be such a humble and sincere person that I find it difficult to believe that he's just here to fill in time. I'd certainly prefer to think that he came with the best of personal intentions but has had the rug pulled from under his feet.

The whole episode has been so badly handled in terms of public relations that I can't imagine how it could have been handled worse.

• Like 1

Can't help but think that something triggered a change of heart by New York City (possibly the injury to Lampard?), and that this change was sudden and one that neither Villa nor Melbourne City could do anything about. Villa in all his interviews seems to be such a humble and sincere person that I find it difficult to believe that he's just here to fill in time. I'd certainly prefer to think that he came with the best of personal intentions but has had the rug pulled from under his feet.

The whole episode has been so badly handled in terms of public relations that I can't imagine how it could have been handled worse.

Agree with this totally (out of likes)

100% spot on

Don't blame DV

He has been fed quality balls from ppl like iniesta. Deliveries which land at his feet while iniesta has to deal with quality of worlds best midfielders and defenders attempting to stop him.

Here he has to relay on MM, Ramsey and out of shape Parrtalu.

He must think this is like Sunday park football

1 more game lets send him off in style. He drew us 2 games that we could of easily lost.

Absolutely!

He pulled us out of a shitter twice.

Who else in the squad of spuds would have scored like this???

Dugga? Willo?

No fkn way

We should be on the rock bottom with nil of out 3 games.

Liability? His position wide on the left is almost solely dependent on service from the left back

I said defensive liability, when Victory had the ball it was 11 men against 10, and I don't think anyone can deny that? Didn't pressure the ball carrier when in his vacinity, didn't track back to give any assistance to Ramsey (not making excuses for Ramseys terrible performance either, hes a shit left back and thats a fact), didn't put in a second effort when losing the ball. He was a passenger last night, especially when the going got tough in the 2nd half.

And if his performance was affected by his lack of motivation as a guest player which i'm sure it was, then thats not really good enough either to be fair.

Thanks for that Captain Obvious (couldn't resist).

Anyway disagree. Defensive cover needs to be provided firstly by Paartalu then either Mooy or Murdocca. Without watching the replay from what i recall i don't think Galloway left his half, nor did Georgievski on Duffs side, both played super defensive roles, which tbh they should have having to mark Villa and Duff respectively. Therefore I don't agree with notion of playing 11 behind the ball ever, to me its pointless. It gives the team with ball nothing to worry about. At the very least you need 2 defenders marking Villa at all times. On several occasions Villa took up extreme good positions but we couldn't hit him and to me that what's the frustrating thing for him, it looks like he's cheating and not working back, but IMO he shouldn't.  

Anyway disagree. Defensive cover needs to be provided firstly by Paartalu then either Mooy or Murdocca. Without watching the replay from what i recall i don't think Galloway left his half, nor did Georgievski on Duffs side, both played super defensive roles, which tbh they should have having to mark Villa and Duff respectively. Therefore I don't agree with notion of playing 11 behind the ball ever, to me its pointless. It gives the team with ball nothing to worry about. At the very least you need 2 defenders marking Villa at all times. On several occasions Villa took up extreme good positions but we couldn't hit him and to me that what's the frustrating thing for him, it looks like he's cheating and not working back, but IMO he shouldn't. Spot on, in no way should Villa be criticised. When in the second half did we actually get him the ball in a half decent position? Also as already said before what is jvs obsession playing him on a wing!

Edited by joeyt

Villa might not be the hardest working bloke when we don't have the ball but he's still worth having in the side.

Twice in that terrible second half villa was in a dangerous position, calling for the ball and both mate and then brown ignored him.

WTF?

Don't see the point in playing him if we don't play him at CF. Why were are playing him on the wing with Duga upfront is beyond me.

And if his performance was affected by his lack of motivation as a guest player which i'm sure it was, then thats not really good enough either to be fair. Thanks for that Captain Obvious (couldn't resist).

Anyway disagree. Defensive cover needs to be provided firstly by Paartalu then either Mooy or Murdocca. Without watching the replay from what i recall i don't think Galloway left his half, nor did Georgievski on Duffs side, both played super defensive roles, which tbh they should have having to mark Villa and Duff respectively. Therefore I don't agree with notion of playing 11 behind the ball ever, to me its pointless. It gives the team with ball nothing to worry about. At the very least you need 2 defenders marking Villa at all times. On several occasions Villa took up extreme good positions but we couldn't hit him and to me that what's the frustrating thing for him, it looks like he's cheating and not working back, but IMO he shouldn't. Spot on, in no way should Villa be criticised. When in the second half did we actually get him the ball in a half decent position? Also as already said before what is jvs obsession playing him on a wing!

I don't think its a mistake playing Villa wide left, what is a mistake is playing Duga as the no 9. If the intention was/is a traditional no 9 he's out of his skill set (Duga that is), if its as a false 9 then he also failed. For the record the false 9 is a bullshit position that can only be played by an extremely technical and gifted player and should be avoided at A league level at all cost.

• Like 1

And if his performance was affected by his lack of motivation as a guest player which i'm sure it was, then thats not really good enough either to be fair. Thanks for that Captain Obvious (couldn't resist).

I don't think its a mistake playing Villa wide left, what is a mistake is playing Duga as the no 9. If the intention was/is a traditional no 9 he's out of his skill set (Duga that is), if its as a false 9 then he also failed. For the record the false 9 is a bullshit position that can only be played by an extremely technical and gifted player and should be avoided at A league level at all cost.

Totally agree here - thought he was so creative on the left cutting back in. If he had a proper #9 to link up with, it would have been a different story. 

Hate the false #9 too.

Anyway disagree. Defensive cover needs to be provided firstly by Paartalu then either Mooy or Murdocca. Without watching the replay from what i recall i don't think Galloway left his half, nor did Georgievski on Duffs side, both played super defensive roles, which tbh they should have having to mark Villa and Duff respectively. Therefore I don't agree with notion of playing 11 behind the ball ever, to me its pointless. It gives the team with ball nothing to worry about. At the very least you need 2 defenders marking Villa at all times. On several occasions Villa took up extreme good positions but we couldn't hit him and to me that what's the frustrating thing for him, it looks like he's cheating and not working back, but IMO he shouldn't.

You can't afford the luxury of a player who is not willing to chase and put a foot in when the balls in his vacinity, and he absolutely HAS TO track back when it is him responsible for losing the ball. Duff in my opinion has been our best player this season, he is hard working, drops deeper into midfield and generates his attacks from there. I'm not faulting villa for his attacking play last night he starved due to a lack of service, but to just stand around and be nothing more than a witches hat while the other team has the ball? Thats garbage.

You can't afford the luxury of a player who is not willing to chase and put a foot in when the balls in his vacinity, and he absolutely HAS TO track back when it is him responsible for losing the ball. Duff in my opinion has been our best player this season, he is hard working, drops deeper into midfield and generates his attacks from there. I'm not faulting villa for his attacking play last night he starved due to a lack of service, but to just stand around and be nothing more than a witches hat while the other team has the ball? Thats garbage.

I'm pretty sure he's been told to take a safety-first approach.  NYC would be going ballisitic with both Villa and Lampard injured.

I would also argue Duff is spending too much time and more accurately energy tracking back. If he was playing a midfield role then yes, but in a 4 3 3 you must maintain width and forward positioning if not when in transition your stuck with the  ball with no option forward and then forced in a even more dangerous ball sideways or backwards. 

Disagree that Villa didn't pressure or put his foot in when the ball was his area but he could have done more. Having said that so should the rest. Was a very poor effort and outcome across all areas.

Attacking wise, he is obviously a jet. If you are playing on the wing, you need to track back and help out your defence... especially if the 'defender' on your wing is Iain Ramsay...

I understand he is probably instructed to stay put but geez it was infuriating that Barbarouses was able to be 1 on 1 with Ramsay every time he had the ball.

If we had a left back that was competent, this would be a non issue, however because Ramsay is a horrid defender, he needs his forwards tracking back to help.