Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I also celebrated Hoffman's goal passionately, does that mean I had a good game too?

Of course you did, that is not my argument though I'm sick of people trying to predict how he feels about being out in Australia he has been nothing but professional since being here and he saved our neck twice. Do I believe he had a bad game last night? No I don't, as people have pointed out he made plenty of dangerous runs but again and again no bloody creativity from murdocca, Brown, duganzic always playing safe by going sideways. Not villas fault, do I believe he should defend 100% of the time? No, go ask aguero how often he tracks back, and why doesn't he because it is the midfielders defenders role to go get the ball back, striker is there to score goals.

• Like 1

I agree that it's unfair to single him out as everyone was shit but good players can have shit games, it happens and it did happen. 

Fair enough if you disagree but that's just my view, and that's not taking anything away from his first two performances for us which were great.

I'm of the belief that you defend as a team though, and David Villa contributed nothing in that regard. 

Watch Berisha and Duke, they chase and hassle and support their team mates and they also score goals! David Villa was lazy last night and it was disappointing.

I'm of the belief that you defend as a team though, and David Villa contributed nothing in that regard.

Watch Berisha and Duke, they chase and hassle and support their team mates and they also score goals! David Villa was lazy last night and it was disappointing.

Whole night was disappointing especially when the two biggest cunts in the a league total 5 goals against you

I must admit most of my comments about Villa were born out of frustration after the game, and all the events that transpired in the lead up to this match.

I feel that many were always going to view this game as his big chance to show his commitment to the cause.

In the greater scheme of things, it's not his fault alone that we were so poor after half time, and it's unfair to single him out.

I do feel without him though we may well be a more balanced team though. We seem to be relying in him to work his magic at this point, but this has to change. Hopefully players will step up once they realise he isn't there to save the day.

I also thought Villa was poor, by his very very high standards. And his lack of tracking back is a bother. I’m sure he’s not instructed to sprint up and down the pitch all game, but still his defensive workrate is disappointing. Just look at Duff on the other side: the 35 year old who recently recovered from a knee injury hauls ass all game, whereas Villa, like when he lost the ball in the lead up to Victory’s first goal, is often statuesque when the team is out of possession.

This little video illustrates the point about Villa:

If Villa can pop up and provide some magic in attack, then the pros outweigh the cons and all is forgiven. Unfortunately in the derby, Villa IMO didn't show enough of his top class quality in attack, the kind you'd expect from a former Barcelona player, Spanish legend and World Cup winner  (and I don't necessarily mean goals, just good shots on goal and good passes to create goal-threatening opportunities). Even in the 1st half there wasn't enough real end-product from Villa in attack (I do fully agree however that Villa's limited influence in the 2nd half is to be blamed on poor service from other Melbourne City players). 

Right now it's a very fair question to ask whether the Villa experiment, getting this guy in for just 4 games less than a week before the season started, has been worth the cost of displacing players and tactics that'll be used beyond Villa's brief stay. I'm undecided on the answer to that question, and I think Villa needs to put in a good showing against Adelaide, in what will probably be his last game with the club, to silence those who would question whether Villa's stint has been worth it.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

^ we're not relying on him though?

He's in perfect positions but our deadshit midfield refuse to pass it to him

Not completely.

I get the feeling they have no idea where he is going to run and try to pass, usually to the wrong spot over and over, then get lost and have lose the plot.

To me that's over reliance on one man, and a lack of understanding of what the team are meant to be doing to make the most of his talent.

Getting here a week before the season wasn't a good move in that regard, and I can't blame many if the players for the current level of awareness of what they should do.

If he leaves, the remainder of the team will have to work harder to overcome this, which is harder to do with Villa given that he is leaving next week.

Lets hope Marino can step up until our striker arrives :)

• Like 1

You can blame Villa himself but it's also an example of poor decisions by JvS. If he knows that his defensive workrate is going to be low, why would you continue to play him on the left rather than as the no. 9? For 3 weeks in a row?!

Good call.

I was a big advocate for JVS once Aloisi got the sack but my rose-tinted glasses have well and truly shattered and only now am I starting to see how flawed a manager he is. 

How he has neglected to rectify our glaring defensive shortcomings is unfathomable. 

You can blame Villa himself but it's also an example of poor decisions by JvS. If he knows that his defensive workrate is going to be low, why would you continue to play him on the left rather than as the no. 9? For 3 weeks in a row?!

The no 9 arguably has to do as much defending, or perhaps even more, than a winger.

Dugandzic hasn't been great in an attacking capacity as the no 9/striker over the past 3 rounds, but he's been tirelessly charging down opponents when they have possession, forcing them to kick it long. Such pressing is required from a no 9 in the City tactics. And Villa, fresh off the plane, certainly couldn't (and perhaps shouldn't) have been expected to perform that role in round 1.

In round 1 Villa had a good game on the LW, with him showing some magic and popping up with a goal. In round 2 Villa did alright at LW (he played there for about 60 minutes) and had 5 shots (inc. 2 good chances), but only scored after he was moved to the no 9 position after 60 minutes (where he did a bit of running and pressing. Villa can probably handle the extra defensive workload in the final 30 mins, when players are tired). And then in the derby Villa looked fairly lively on the LW, but didn't provide real end-product. And in the 2nd half Villa played as the striker, but after the team fell behind at the start of the 2nd half the team was flat and unimpressive, and Villa got no service after he assumed the striker position.

It's hard to clearly state where Villa should be played in this team, as he's come up trumps and has scored a goal from both the LW (against Sydney) and no 9 (against Newcastle) positions. But I'm sure that Villa wouldn't have provided the defensive hustle that Dugandzic did in the derby (if only because Villa only arrived in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, and doesn't have full match fitness). So defensively, I think Villa does not help the team, given the team tactics, as shown by the video above at LW, and because Villa wouldn't consistently and effectively harry and press in the no 9 position. Therefore defensively Villa isn't a great help and he doesn't fit in the team so well, that's why it's required of him to show his attacking class and change games the way he can, like Villa did with his fine goals against Sydney and against Newcastle.

IMO what we're saying here is that the whole Villa saga has been completely mishandled, not just the PR side of his departure. You don't just parachute a world-class player (who speaks almost no English) into an Australian club a few days before he's expected to play and without a full understanding of just how long he's going to be here, and you don't expect him to perform well if you play him in a non-preferred position or to a non-preferred style of football that he's not match-fit for in any case. If you do those things than it might be OK if the player is going to remain for the full 10-match period or longer, but it's very unlikely to work out well if it's for a mere four matches.

So to me this is a management shambles that unfortunately will result in some culpability being attributed to both David himself and to JvS, whereas I strongly suspect that most of the blame should be attributed elsewhere. Either CFG didn't work things out properly in the first place, or there was a dramatic change in thinking after the Newcastle match.

• Like 2

I copped crap after 1 round for saying he wasn't putting in.  Probably fair enough after 1 game. 

The no Service Exuse is wearing a bit thin.   Give anyone good service and they will score

In the first 3 games i think we put more balls in a scoring position than ever before, just not many were converted

I would expect the best player in the world (at one point in time) to be able to make things happen rather than have stuff served up on a platter

Maybe my expectations are out of whack

Looking forward to round 5. 

I can't help but feel Hoffman would have been a pretty good striker, I still have no idea why he was converted to a midfielder and then a defender.

Because he was a shit striker and a shit midfielder.

He was a shit midfielder but what made him a shit striker? 

Was he ever really given the chance to prove himself there?

I can't help but feel Hoffman would have been a pretty good striker, I still have no idea why he was converted to a midfielder and then a defender.

Because he was a shit striker and a shit midfielder.

He was a shit midfielder but what made him a shit striker? 

Was he ever really given the chance to prove himself there?

He's even said himself recently that he prefers playing LB as he'd be overwhelmed by an anxiety to score when he was a striker. The pattern every year was the same, when we played preseason games against teams that gave him plenty of time and space he'd score at will, he'd struggle against better players. It was the same for the Olyroos, he scored many goals in the early rounds, not at all against the better teams

1 more game lets send him off in style. He drew us 2 games that we could of easily lost.

Absolutely!

He pulled us out of a shitter twice.

Who else in the squad of spuds would have scored like this???

Dugga? Willo?

No fkn way

We should be on the rock bottom with nil of out 3 games.

Deffinatley the game against Jets, if it wasn't for him there was no way we were getting a point

I can't believe what a complete stuff up this has been. How do you manage to stuff up the arrival of one of the world's best players?

a) be evasive on how long he will be here while letting everyone assume it is for 10 games

B) know he's going back after 4 and don't mention it

c) have him arrive a few days before the season starts

Do all the above and undo most of the good work from having him here.

What happened to CFG being experts in managing teams?

Hey Nate,

Hoffman- not matter what position, is nowhere near the standard of player we should be looking at. He had more the opportunities than most Australian players and played in many under age rep teams with some of the better Australian coaching. He might have been decent as a 16 year old or something, but now ( and for the last 3 seasons) he has been one of the worst players in the A-league. I watch him every week and wonder how on earth he is playing as a professional. And we re-signed him! Good lord save us all.

He should've never been brought here in the first place.

Been a complete distraction to the team whilst he's been here, we should've tried to either sign Kennedy from the start of the season or another striker to avoid this circus.

Says he opened the David Villa thread lol

If he was here for the ten games like he was suppose to be then i wouldn't of had a problem with it.

What is the point of bringing this bloke across for 4 games? He would've been better off to stay in NY. The whole experiment has been a waste of time.

I don't understand why you're all bashing on the poor bloke. It's not like he has the ball at his feet the whole time. The supply was shocking to him... when it did eventually come to him. 

For the sake of not being too villa-centric and not being read like a book they were playing the whole field.

When he did get the ball, he was tagged. he only made runs from when he was playing deep midfield. 

He was a marketing stunt that worked. He has done his job.

No matter which striker you had up forward, it wouldn't have made a difference. we got outplayed. 

• Like 1

Been a complete distraction to the team whilst he's been here, we should've tried to either sign Kennedy from the start of the season or another striker to avoid this circus.

If he was here for the ten games like he was suppose to be then i wouldn't of had a problem with it.

What is the point of bringing this bloke across for 4 games? He would've been better off to stay in NY. The whole experiment has been a waste of time.

Would it made a difference when it was announce that we had signed him for a guest that he would only be playing four games.

Yeh he had a shocker on Saturday night so did the rest of the squad barring maybe Mooy, essentially he saved us two games with his two goals.

I know everyone is disappointed in Saturday nights result but Villa coming to Melbourne City has continued to expose us Nationally and World Wide which is always a good thing.

I don't understand why you're all bashing on the poor bloke. It's not like he has the ball at his feet the whole time. The supply was shocking to him... when it did eventually come to him. 

For the sake of not being too villa-centric and not being read like a book they were playing the whole field.

When he did get the ball, he was tagged. he only made runs from when he was playing deep midfield. 

No matter which striker you had up forward, it wouldn't have made a difference. we got outplayed.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Watch their goals again.

Ramsay going full retard isn't being "outplayed"

JAmes Brown trying to take a speccy in the penalty box isn't being outplayed.

• Like 1

Would it made a difference when it was announce that we had signed him for a guest that he would only be playing four games.

Yeh he had a shocker on Saturday night so did the rest of the squad barring maybe Mooy, essentially he saved us two games with his two goals.

I know everyone is disappointed in Saturday nights result but Villa coming to Melbourne City has continued to expose us Nationally and World Wide which is always a good thing.

It would've made a difference to the membership counter, it tell you that.

What have we honestly gained from him being here for 4 games? Outside of bailing the team out twice, the team looks no better then what they were last season. Can you imagine how bad we're going to look when he leaves? At least if he was here for 10 games he could've provided a good enough platform for us to get into the finals. Now we are going to not have a striker until Kennedy arrives and by then it might be too late to save the season anyway.

If we had come out and lost the three first three games, maybe it would've lead to the removal of the real problem (JVS). Instead, we're going to have to endure yet another mediocre season, we're we'll be hovering around 6 place and ultimately miss out on finals.

I would trade all the exposure in the world for a winning football team.

• Like 1

My onpy real beef with having villa in the team was that it let Jvs and the coaching staff believe that we didn't need to sign a new striker or left winger.

Now that davey isnwplaying that well and is leaving early, we have no back up.

If villa didn't come, I imagine we would have signed someone.

Still pretty glad to see Villa play on the a-league and wear a Melbourne jersey. Just with one of these numptys to give the bloke some decent service or options to pass to

well for starters, we don't know what contractual obligations Villa has with NYCF/CFG. It may well be that he does as he is told. So it is a touch unfair at this point in time and without much information to blame him for being here for only four matches. And we could still be proved wrong and he may return.

As for his contribution, well it is a team sport. My observations from the AFL if you have one player so much better than the rest of the team then it never works out - Lockett at Saint Kilda, Abblett at the Suns, etc. The balance has to be there. 

I genuinely believe that the reason why no other striker has been signed its because the club is waiting for Josh Kennedy to finish his current contract in Japan. I have a reasonable contact that has told me that Kennedy had been offered to go to the Arab leagues but was inclined to return to Melbourne. The real problem is that our LB/RB are not A League standard.

• Like 1