Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

another 2 points so mooy now on 31 in the alex tobin award

burns on 24 and khalfallah on 22

Wasn't even on the list for possible Johnny Warren medalists on a recent Fox Sports article. Fucking disgraceful.

shame that he will probly only get recognition in the alex tobin award for his season, should of walked into the asian cup team

another 2 points so mooy now on 31 in the alex tobin award

burns on 24 and khalfallah on 22

Wasn't even on the list for possible Johnny Warren medalists on a recent Fox Sports article. Fucking disgraceful.

shame that he will probly only get recognition in the alex tobin award for his season, should of walked into the asian cup team

Sick to death of the Sydney bias by the FFA.

I'm not looking forward to missing him for the next 2 games. BIG void to fill

could play on the friday the 3rd against west sydney couldn't he?

Possibly Macedonia 31st March - at best back in Australia Friday morning so possible but unlikely?

During this mornings game he made two defence splitting passes and one terrible pass. He also looked lazy when he came on, he just stood about and hardly pressed, wasn't happy with his performance when he came on, I expected more.

He was confused, he didn't know how to play in a team with other players that can do stuff competently.

• Like 2

Played well, was much more involved in this game due to Macedonia parking the bus, always looked proactive with his passing and shut down a lot of their forward play. Just missed an opportunity to have a chance at goal when he wasn't able to collect the ball in the penalty box. Overall I think Ange would be pleased with his performance and should be a contender come qualification for the World Cup.

• Like 1

The new Bresciano? I'll do it Mooy way, says Socceroo

John Davidson

3/04/2015

Socceroo Aaron Mooy has shrugged off comparisons with midfield veteran Mark Bresciano and says he is loving being back in the national team.

Mooy, who missed out on Australia’s Asian Cup squad, was recalled for the friendlies with Germany and Macedonia.

The 24-year old came off the bench and played 21 minutes in the 2-2 draw with the Germans and started in the 0-0 stalemate against Macedonia.

Mooy has been likened to Socceroo legend, Bresciano – who retired from international football last month – because of his passing vision and range, as well as his ability to both score and create goals.

But the Melbourne City man just wants to make his own name in the Australian set-up.

“I’m not Bresciano,” Mooy told FourFourTwo.  

“I just try and do my best and show what I can do, if I get the opportunity. I’m not Bresciano, so no one should expect that.

“It’s great to be involved (in the Socceroos again). Every opportunity I get, I love every minute. I’ve been pretty happy with how I’ve been going in the A-League and hopefully I can continue.”

Mooy described the friendly with Germany, where he replaced Mark Milligan in the second half, as a great experience.

“It was a great result,” he said. “The boys created a lot of chances. It was every end-to-end, a quick pace. They put us under the pump at the end.”

The Melbourne City man made his Socceroo debut back in 2012 after playing for the Young Socceroos and the Olyroos.

He has been in terrific form this season for City, the club’s top scorer with five goals and he has also picked up seven assists.

It has been an inconsistent season for the Melbourne outfit but they currently sit in sixth place with 33 points.

“It’s been a bit up and down,” Mooy admits.

“We play a brilliant game and then next week we’re completely different. If we can turn up and play consistently we can beat any team so we’ve just got to look to do that. Every game from now on to the end is a must-win game.”

Mooy broke into the A-League with Western Sydney in 2012. He joined City at the start of the 2014-2015 season and says he has no regrets about leaving the Wanderers.

“No regrets, I’m enjoying my football a lot,” Mooy said. “I’m playing in a position that suits me more and I’m happy about how everything’s going.”

Western Sydney has struggled this season and has registered just three wins from 23 matches, which has surprised Mooy.

“I’ve been a little bit surprised but they’ve had a very tough couple of years, I think it’s all built up and it’s affecting them,” he said.

“Maybe that’s the problem, I don’t know.”

Mooy spent time as a youngster in the UK with Bolton Wanderers and St Mirren, and said he harbours ambitions of playing abroad again one day.

“I’m sure every play wants to play at the highest level they can so all I can do is keep trying to play and improve,” he said.

“Hopefully in the future something comes up, but at the moment I’m just trying to improve as much as I can with City.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/new-bresciano-ill-do-it-mooy-way-says-socceroo

If there's interest in Mooy from overseas make him our Aussie marquee and fuck off Kennedy. If he's happy to say under the cap then we still fuck off Kennedy and try to lure an Australian from overseas whose still in their prime with some cold hard cash.

After playing Tuesday morning in arguably the biggest game of his life, to then travel more then 24 hours and 3 planes his efforts on Friday night were truly remarkable. The praise this guy gets will never be oversold.

100% agree. Mooy's attitude and performances have been first class. The guy's a phenomenon.

I'm pretty sure if Melbourne City started the season with a proper striker that Mooy would be leading the league in assists. 

But instead he's had to score the goals himself, and is the club's top-scorer with 5 (2 goals ahead of the next top-scorers: Koren, Paartalu, Williams on 3). And despite the poor finishing of our attacking players he still easily is the club's assist leader with 7 (Duff has the 2nd most with 5).

Hope the club can hold onto him for a long time. Players like Mooy set the high standards this club needs to win trophies.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Well he has signed up for next season, so I don't think there is any problem in him not playing for us. The problem will be if he has an even better season and we actually win the League. Also if he plays more games for his country, then he will have more exposure.

So it could be a lot more difficult to keep hold of him after next season. Of course we could then make him our Aussie Marquee and pay him a high salary. However, the lure of playing in Europe and at a higher level, will always make it difficult for A League teams to keep hold of their best talents.

Well he has signed up for next season, so I don't think there is any problem in him not playing for us. The problem will be if he has an even better season and we actually win the League. Also if he plays more games for his country, then he will have more exposure.

So it could be a lot more difficult to keep hold of him after next season. Of course we could then make him our Aussie Marquee and pay him a high salary. However, the lure of playing in Europe and at a higher level, will always make it difficult for A League teams to keep hold of their best talents.

I am hoping that his previous stint overseas makes him more reluctant to go back so quickly. I think inevitably he will go, but I think both him and City will benefit from him staying another season after his contract finishes.

After playing Tuesday morning in arguably the biggest game of his life, to then travel more then 24 hours and 3 planes his efforts on Friday night were truly remarkable. The praise this guy gets will never be oversold.

And yet, we still drew.

Just another example of how we as fans accept mediocre performances from our players.

Hopefully will be dropped to the bench for the next game and Koren can show him how to play football properly.

Edited by kingofhearts

Aaron Mooy is on a three-year contract, with two seasons to run.

Aaron Mooy is on a three-year contract, with two seasons to run.

Victory were able to hold on to Mark Milligan despite numerous overseas offers, including from the EPL.

Aaron Mooy might be on a three-year contract, but it will mean very little if his agent starts getting offers from elsewhere that will allow him to set himself up financially for life.

Let's face it - the current low A League salary cap does not allow that for salary capped players.

My question is this:

Are we better off with keeping Kennedy as our Australian marquee and risking losing Mooy, or making Mooy our Australian marquee and risking losing Kennedy.

The answer is a no brainer to me.