Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

VAN'T SCHIP HAILS MOOY INFLUENCE

31 Dec 2014

Melbourne City coach John van't Schip believes the Socceroos' loss is his gain in regards to in-form midfielder Aaron Mooy.

Mooy is possibly the most unlucky player to miss Australia coach Ange Postecoglou's 23-man squad for the Asian Cup.

Since the omission last week, Mooy has scored two A-League goals and was arguably City's best in its 5-2 demolition of Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium on Tuesday.

Asked if the 24 year-old was making a point to Postecoglou, Van 't Schip said: "He was playing good before that.

"Ange is the one who has to make that choice and looking at his squad he thought he needed a different type of player.

"I can't judge that, I've been in that same situation myself and it's difficult to drop a player like Aaron.

"He probably has thought about it very carefully and good, but we're happy he's just playing his football for us and hopefully he will still get his chance in the future."

Even in a team that contains the likes of former English Premier League attackers Robert Koren and Damien Duff, Van 't Schip said Mooy is his "most stable and most important player.

"He can score, he can set up and his working attitude is really good and we're very happy he's playing for us," he said.

"He's delivering every week and that's the most important thing. It's not one week on, one week off, it's every week he's up to the task he has to do and it helps the other players."

After a sluggish start to the season City has recorded 11 points in its past four starts to consolidate sixth spot.

The catalyst for its form reversal apperars to have been a 5-1 belting by Wellington at Westpac Stadium.

Van 't Schip warned his troops not to drop their intensity against Central Coast on Sunday at Gosford.

"It's only four games and we have a difficult game coming up against Central Coast," he said.

"Now it's up to us to make the next step by playing a good game up there."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/31/vant-schip-hails-mooy-influence

What a pity FFA's ridiculously low salary cap means we can't sign up Aaron Mooy to a long term deal where we can actually pay him true "market value" based on the quality he has shown us this season.

Spot in.

It's only matter of (short) time before some one else throws easily double what we paying him to lure him away to possibly rust on the bench.

I believe he is better than half the pretend ponies Ang called up for the Asian cup anyway.

Edited by Jestr

What a pity FFA's ridiculously low salary cap means we can't sign up Aaron Mooy to a long term deal where we can actually pay him true "market value" based on the quality he has shown us this season. 

But if he continues to improve then his market value continues to increase; thus you will always end up at the point where the club will sell him or lose him to a club with bigger pockets - it may be possible that CFG will move him to NYCFC or even Man City. Signing players to long term contracts carries its own risk that the player's form may tank - Fernando Torres anyone? This where the art of list management comes into play.

You'd be battling to get much more at  NYCFC, because the MLS is the other football competition that is not in the real football world with below market value pay for well above average talent.

There are 3 franchise players and then a low salary cap divided between a much bigger squad than in the A League.

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2014/4/10/5601988/la-galaxy-salaries-2014-donovan-keane-and-gonzalez-tops

You'd be battling to get much more at  NYCFC, because the MLS is the other football competition that is not in the real football world with below market value pay for well above average talent.

There are 3 franchise players and then a low salary cap divided between a much bigger squad than in the A League.

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2014/4/10/5601988/la-galaxy-salaries-2014-donovan-keane-and-gonzalez-tops

Only 20 players count to the salary cap. It's US$3.1m, factor in lower cost of living, lower tax, it's better than a $5m salary cap here.

So it isn't that bad.

Anyway, as I've stated previously, I agree that the salary cap needs to go.

Only 20 players count to the salary cap. It's US$3.1m, factor in lower cost of living, lower tax, it's better than a $5m salary cap here.

So it isn't that bad.

Anyway, as I've stated previously, I agree that the salary cap needs to go.

No, it needs to be kept in some form or other.

I would remove the Australian senior and youth marquee.  Every team should get at least 3 marquee spots, not matter where they are from.

• 4 weeks later...

The next socceroos friendly is in March. I wonder whether Ange will continue to expand the overall playing squad and experimenting so that maybe Mooy gets a call up and some game time. Personally, I think that he should be on the plane to Germany because he has earned the opportunity but torn because I rather have him playing for City.

A-League: in-form Aaron Mooy keen to play role in Socceroos World Cup qualifying plans

Matt Windley

February 02, 2015

FRESH from a man of the match performance against his former club Western Sydney on Sunday, Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy says he wants to be a part of Australia’s qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Mooy said he, like all football fans, rode a wave of emotion watching the Socceroos’ dramatic 2-1 win against South Korea in Saturday night’s Asian Cup final.

Having been considered perhaps the unluckiest player to miss out on the 23-man squad for the tournament, the 24-year-old wants to add to his four caps and help the Socceroos to a fourth consecutive World Cup.

Qualifying for the tournament begins in June.

“You always want to play for your national team whenever you can, so hopefully I can keep my form up and be in the picture,” Mooy said.

“We’ll see where I land. Everybody knows that if you’re playing well, you are (a chance) and everybody knows what you have to do to have people start thinking about you in that way.

“I’ll just keep playing well and hopefully I get in to his (coach Ange Postecoglou’s) plans.

“They did brilliantly, it was great for Australian football.

“I couldn’t believe it when the Koreans got back in to it, I was spewing at that, but the boys came out fighting and deserved the win.”

Mooy said it was “a bit weird” playing against the Wanderers for the first time, having spent two seasons at the club.

He capped his performance with a cracking 73rd-minute goal that gave City a 2-1 win, a timely result before Saturday night’s Melbourne derby at Etihad Stadium.

“I don’t score that regularly,” Mooy said.

“They say, ‘Don’t celebrate against your old team’, but I couldn’t hold it in.”

Teammate Connor Chapman also impressed against the Wanderers as his senior emergence continues.

The 20-year-old central defender made his City debut against Brisbane Roar on December 7 and in his five games the team has won four and drawn one.

“I think that’s just luck,” Chapman said.

“We’re more of a unit. I think a few other players came in at the same time. We’ve worked hard and we’re getting the results.

“(Coach John van’t Schip’s message was) basically just go play your game and enjoy it and that’s what I’ve been doing.

“I think it’s been a really good partnership (with centre back Patrick Kisnorbo). I love playing with Paddy. He’s an experienced player and been in the top leagues around Europe.

“I’m lucky to have him and I think we’re doing pretty well now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league-in-form-aaron-mooy-keen-to-play-role-in-socceroos-world-cup-qualifying-plans/story-fnk6pqhd-1227205473728?nk=c8f79221c70dc33528e351eae459afc1

Mooy tried hard last night but you can see that without confidence of Paartalu being behind him that he too struggled. I think the two of them have a great understanding and Mooy needs that to go on his merry way to dazzle the opposition.

That didn't happen last night.

Mooy tried hard last night but you can see that without confidence of Paartalu being behind him that he too struggled. I think the two of them have a great understanding and Mooy needs that to go on his merry way to dazzle the opposition.

That didn't happen last night.

We are being carried at the moment by 4-6 players, namely Chapman, Paartalu, Melling, Mooy and to a lesser extent Koren and Duff. If any of those go missing we're in deep trouble.

About a third of the squad is "injured", we have a porous defence and forwards who can't score. And we have to play a lad who is basically with us on work experience for three months.

Sydney had Emerton and Carle as their marquees.

Nah, pretty sure they just had Carle on a front loaded contract meaning he played under the cap in his second season. Not sure if were doing something similar with Kennedy this season ?

"Emerton has signed a three-year deal to fill the Sky Blues' second marquee spot alongside Nicky Carle after passing a medical in Manchester on Wednesday (EST)."

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/socceroos-star-brett-emerton-will-officially-become-sydney-fcs-new-marquee-player-on-thursday/story-e6frf4gl-1226121703177

• Like 1

Can't be the only one who thought he was pretty ordinary today? Fucked up just about every pass he attempted in the 2nd half

Yep!

What shits me is that he doesn't get the proportion of set pieces into the right spot that he should. We've got the best aerial attack so we should be converting a lot more than we do.