Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I think Gareth Barry is more likely to become the NYCF marquee, but still he could play for Heart on a guest stint:

Everton in battle to sign Gareth Barry

May 9, 2014

GARETH BARRY is considering a move abroad in the summer which will complicate Everton's hopes of persuading him to sign permanently.

The former England international's representatives have been in touch with a number of foreign clubs about a free transfer as they weigh up all options for their client.

Barry's loan spell at Everton ends at Hull on Sunday, after which manager Roberto Martinez will seek talks with the midfielder on his future and make him an offer.

Everton have a £1million deal in place with parent club Manchester City for Barry, but Martinez admitted the player's decision would be governed by where his "next footballing chapter" should take place.

"We will talk after the Hull game," said Martinez, who is keen on Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley. "We will sit down and I'm sure we will get a straight answer in one way or another.

"It's not about finding a good contract or financial package, it's more about the next footballing chapter and where he can enjoy it.

"He has loved his time at Everton but you don't know where his next step is. Does he want to go abroad? Experiment with a different culture?

"It's important that we try to keep him at the club but, in the same way, if he doesn't stay, it's our job to make sure the next squad in the next window is as strong or stronger than what we have."

Barry, 33, has no pressure to make a decision straight away and could wait until later in the summer to see what offers roll in from the likes of Italy, Spain or America.

Everton face a similar situation with all their loan signings with the futures of Romelu Lukaku, Gerard Deulofeu and Lacina Traore similarly unclear and dependent upon the decisions of parent clubs, Chelsea, Barcelona and Monaco respectively.

Lukaku's agent Christophe Henrotay said: "He has two years left on his contract. It's going to depend on Chelsea. That they want to bring in a big-name striker has been well-documented.

"But Chelsea need lots of great strikers. And if there are too many, they'll choose to allow Romelu to leave. If they think there aren't enough forwards, perhaps Romelu will say, 'I'm interested in prolonging the adventure'."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/474795/Everton-in-battle-to-sign-Gareth-Barry

Edited by Murfy1

I have a feeling that Demichelis will be our marquee...

Great defender but do we really want a defender as our marquee player?

If we do sign him however, he'd be likely to become a cult hero and we'd instantly have the most brutal and unforgiving central defensive pair in the league with Paddy K and Demichelis teaming up. 

I wouldn't have the same objection to a quality central defender. We have only two recognised defenders on our books now - Kisnorbo and Wielaert, and the latter has hardly set the world on fire - plus a young Connor Chapman if he signs for us. IMO our problem is giving away sloppy goals just as much as it is missing easy chances.

ok seems i've copped a bit for my last post, no intention of trolling, just rumours i had heard was seeking clarification.

JA apparntly a recruiter now

and marquee's are just players outside salary cap i didnt think it mattered who took the spots.

ok seems i've copped a bit for my last post, no intention of trolling, just rumours i had heard was seeking clarification.

JA apparntly a recruiter now

and marquee's are just players outside salary cap i didnt think it mattered who took the spots.

Now you are trolling

• Like 1

i cannot fathom the thought that a manager who failed to win in 20 odd games could be trusted as a recruiter. especially when there's 30+ CFG scouts worldwide

I agree with this, but can also see the need for someone who has the local player and leagues experience. Is JA the bloke for it though? I guess coaching is different than recruiting, but still I can't see it happening.

Hmmm, with their resources though, I would imagine CFG would have this covered.

Huh? JA has no knowledge of the local league system and its pretty clear that JVS has JA covered on an A-League basis.

not totally correct, JA has jvs covered when it comes to being in denial. Any coach who says their team played well after a 3 goal loss is pretty special!

Huh? JA has no knowledge of the local league system and its pretty clear that JVS has JA covered on an A-League basis.

I said 'someone' who has that experience... and agree, JA is not the bloke.

With the City resources behind us now, I think we can have a full time recruiter on board with JVS having the final signoff on the decision. Leaves him able to focus on what he does best.

Anyway, on the thread topic, so many names thrown up and many more will be too until the signing is made. Though it's been raised early and often, can easily see Xavi as the one. I think he fits the bill for what we need. With $$$ offers likely to come from abroad though, coming to Aus might not be the fit for him.

Source: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1186888/heart-seeks-new-sky-blue-phase

As Melbourne Heart coach John van't Schip flies off into the black night, he leaves behind a simmering sky blue A-League brawl.

Just three days after finishing its rollercoaster season, Van't Schip and football operations manager John Didulica left Melbourne on Tuesday night to meet Heart's new parent club, Manchester City.

While squad renewal and relationship-building is high on the two Johns' agenda, it's a change of kit colour that looks set to dominate discussion of Heart's imminent transformation.

It won't say so, but Heart is set to become Melbourne City, playing in a similar sky blue shirt, white shorts and socks to the English powerhouse club.

That would align Heart's brand with Manchester City and its American offshoot New York City FC.

It would be a major change for Heart, upsetting both a segment of its devoted fan base and Sydney FC, which claims sole tenancy of sky blue in the league.

Chairman Scott Barlow has written to Football Federation Australia (FFA), the arbiter of any colour change, arguing the colour is 'central to our identity'.

It's understood FFA is some distance from a final decision, leaving plenty of time for the two clubs to argue their case, and fans to simply argue.

A group of Heart fans is campaigning to 'Keep Melbourne Red and White', with hundreds of fans wielding supportive placards at the final league match last Saturday.

That match ended 3-2 to Western Sydney Wanderers, a fitting end to the Heart's topsy-turvy season.

Heart finished last on the A-League table, but not before an almighty recovery from Van't Schip after inheriting the reins from John Aloisi.

At the club's awards presentation on Monday, Heart chief executive Scott Munn revealed Aloisi was still a part of the 'Manchester City family', spending time at the Premier League club this month.

David Williams picked up Heart's major awards, including player of the year, supporters' player of the year and golden boot awards.

Williams said he would rather be training for a finals match than enjoying the end-of-season function but left no doubt about the club's ambitions, whatever shirt it plays in next year.

"We can go from the bottom to winning it next year," he said

Edited by R410

Source: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1186888/heart-seeks-new-sky-blue-phase

As Melbourne Heart coach John van't Schip flies off into the black night, he leaves behind a simmering sky blue A-League brawl.

Just three days after finishing its rollercoaster season, Van't Schip and football operations manager John Didulica left Melbourne on Tuesday night to meet Heart's new parent club, Manchester City.

While squad renewal and relationship-building is high on the two Johns' agenda, it's a change of kit colour that looks set to dominate discussion of Heart's imminent transformation.

It won't say so, but Heart is set to become Melbourne City, playing in a similar sky blue shirt, white shorts and socks to the English powerhouse club.

That would align Heart's brand with Manchester City and its American offshoot New York City FC.

It would be a major change for Heart, upsetting both a segment of its devoted fan base and Sydney FC, which claims sole tenancy of sky blue in the league.

Chairman Scott Barlow has written to Football Federation Australia (FFA), the arbiter of any colour change, arguing the colour is 'central to our identity'.

It's understood FFA is some distance from a final decision, leaving plenty of time for the two clubs to argue their case, and fans to simply argue.

A group of Heart fans is campaigning to 'Keep Melbourne Red and White', with hundreds of fans wielding supportive placards at the final league match last Saturday.

That match ended 3-2 to Western Sydney Wanderers, a fitting end to the Heart's topsy-turvy season.

Heart finished last on the A-League table, but not before an almighty recovery from Van't Schip after inheriting the reins from John Aloisi.

At the club's awards presentation on Monday, Heart chief executive Scott Munn revealed Aloisi was still a part of the 'Manchester City family', spending time at the Premier League club this month.

David Williams picked up Heart's major awards, including player of the year, supporters' player of the year and golden boot awards.

Williams said he would rather be training for a finals match than enjoying the end-of-season function but left no doubt about the club's ambitions, whatever shirt it plays in next year.

"We can go from the bottom to winning it next year," he said

Firstly it was thousands wielding supportive placards, not hundreds and secondly why are you posting an article that was clearly written weeks ago. And come to think of it why are you posting it in the marquee player thread when it has nothing to do with it?

Edited. I see why you have posted this now. That's disappointing to hear he's still there in some form. Fuck.

Edited by n i k o