Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Sheihk Mansour has sanctioned a move for midfielder Frank Lampard - who is suspended for the Atletico match. 

But the deal is with Melbourne Heart, not Manchester City.

The super-rich Sheihk bought an 80 per cent stake in the A League club for £6.7m in January.

Lampard is out of contract at the end of the season and is already being courted by LA Galaxy.

Melboune are offering £60,000 a week after tax for two years, with the option of a third year.

The 35-year-old, though, is hoping to secure another year's extension with the Blues and is unlikely to take up the Aussie option.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/376459/EXCLUSIVE-Injured-Chelsea-skipper-John-Terry-rated-50-50-for-Champions-League-return

YES PLEASE THIS WOULD BE AMAZING

PS WE'RE FUCKING RICH

Meh, might as well switch to this thread for all marquee news, as I reckon this thread will get used a lot.

Heart broken by last-place finish so Mark Bresciano, Josh Kennedy are marquee targets

David Davutovic

29 April 2014

JOSH Kennedy and Mark Bresciano have been identified as Melbourne Heart’s Australian marquee targets as the 2014-15 recruiting drive begins in earnest.

The new owners — The City Group — want to make two statement signings, pledging to fill both the international and Australian marquee positions after a poor campaign which saw them finish bottom.

They also plan to sign a guest player which, as revealed by the Herald Sun, could be New York City FC’s maiden marquee signing.

Heart officials will hold talks with the pair in the coming weeks when they join the Socceroos squad for the pre-World Cup camp in Sydney and are ready to make Kennedy or Bresciano the club’s highest paid player.

However they’re likely to be gazumped by the foreign marquee, with the new owners ready to spend well in excess of $1m to snag a quality attacker, eclipsing the $750,000 paid to Orlando Engelaar.

Kennedy, 31, looms as the most likely option with his Nagoya Grampus contract expiring at the end of the season — however the J. League season doesn’t conclude until December.

But the striker’s wife and former Australian Opal Jacinta Kennedy (nee Hamilton) returned to Melbourne with their three children in December before signing with WNBL outfit Dandenong Rangers after seven years abroad.

Bresciano, 34, trained with Heart in the summer during his controversial ban but he is contracted to Qatari club Al-Gharafa beyond this season on a lucrative contract.

Rival A-League clubs could make a play for Kennedy, including Sydney FC, but both he and Bresciano plan to live in Melbourne once they retire.

Last season’s Aussie marquee David Williams will be included inside the salary cap next season, so too Aaron Mooy who accepted a $300,000-a-year offer from Heart to sign from Western Sydney.

Engelaar, who won the goal of the year, has been offered a new deal which would also keep him inside the cap, although he’s likely to return to Holland to continue his career.

Coach John van’t Schip and football manager John Didulica are holding talks with Manchester City’s football officials Txiki Begiristain and Brain Marwood in the UK.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/heart-broken-by-lastplace-finish-so-mark-bresciano-josh-kennedy-are-marquee-targets/story-fnlpdr1y-1226900132803

Edited by Murfy1

Would be very pleased if Heart got Kennedy. He's a solid and effective striker, and I reckon he's a good well-rounded forward (who is good with his feet, if he has teammates that don't always play the ball to his head).

Good to hear the international marquee spot will be taken seriously, and that they'll use the money on an "attacker" (either an attacking midfielder or a forward presumably. Hopefully an attacking midfielder).

And why not get a quality guest player as well  :)

One can almost forget that the very handy midfielder Aaron Mooy has signed to Heart for multiple seasons.

It looks like the recruitment drive has kicked up a gear, and the signs look good.

So who would we rather guys, Kennedy or Bresc?

And just a sidenote on Lampard, whilst he's been a brilliant player I can't help but feel that with all the $$$ we have now, we should be chasing a marquee in his prime (25-30ish). He'll be 36 by the time the season starts, I'm just wondering whether we really want to go down the old mens' club route again?

And just a sidenote on Lampard, whilst he's been a brilliant player I can't help but feel that with all the $$$ we have now, we should be chasing a marquee in his prime (25-30ish). He'll be 36 by the time the season starts, I'm just wondering whether we really want to go down the old mens' club route again?

Agree Nate, would rather pump coin into a lesser name but someone who can give us years of quality service.

On Lampard, I think the reported deal is pretty good. It's a 2 year deal (with an option for a 3rd), meaning that Lampard would finish the 2 seasons younger than Del Piero when he joined Sydney FC. And with all due respect for ADP and Serie A, but Lampard is much fitter and more athletic than ADP, and the EPL is much more physically demanding than the Serie A. Also, Lampard played over 2700 minutes of football last season across the EPL and in Europe, and he started over 30 games, and Lampard is set to play over 2700 minutes in the EPL and the Champions League this season, and again he has already started in over 30 games this season.

I'd be perfectly fine with Lampard at his age for 2, and maybe 3, seasons. He's an all around class player and he'd kill it in the A-League. And even though I don't like to think about this too much, it would truly put this club and the A-League on the map.

Then we could sign an international marquee young enough for 5 or more seasons.

Whatever happens though, it sounds like Heart will certainly be signing a fantastic international marquee.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I'm more towards Kennedy tbh, as much as i love bresciano he's just too old and when you're looking for a creative mid. Use our international marquee spot on a creative mid me thinks :up:

• Like 3

Part of me wants Kennedy to come just so everyone can see how shit and overrated he is. Have had this argument with plenty before so can't be fucked going back over it but he's a tap in merchant and won't stand out at A-Legue level. I don't think we need another slow striker. Please give me someone with pace who isn't a retard (Mifsud)

Part of me wants Kennedy to come just so everyone can see how shit and overrated he is. Have had this argument with plenty before so can't be fucked going back over it but he's a tap in merchant and won't stand out at A-Legue level. I don't think we need another slow striker. Please give me someone with pace who isn't a retard (Mifsud)

We missed a fuckload of tap ins this year, sign him up!

• Like 6

The thing about Kennedy is that he gets the job done, sometimes you need someone who can score the simple tap-ins and when you consider the service that he might receive (e.g Mooy and an international marquee), we should have no issues creating opportunities. 

He was average during his time in Europe admittedly but his record in both the J-League and for the national team speaks for itself, he gets goals and he gets them when they matter. My biggest worry is in regard to his injuries, because we all know how lucky we've been with marquees and injuries over the years.

With the kind of money being bandied around, how about another Chelsea guy out of contract - Samuel Eto'o.

Proven scorer, no loyalty issues keeping him to Chelsea, loves cash. Will get good midfield service too given the touted lineup.

Bresciano as Australian Marquee. The chronic back issues Kennedy has screams far too much of seasons gone by. 

Agree 100%.

If a striker doesn't score "tap ins" he's not much of a striker.  if you rely on bending them in from 30 yards you won't have many goals come season end, no matter who you are.

WTF is so bad about a "tap in" anyway? (they are worth "one goal"!)  Most of the ones I've seen have needed a seemingly pointless "gambling" run by the striker, in case the ball actually makes the back post, the keeper parries, the ball hits the post etc etc.  Love tap ins!  Only good players ever score them.

• Like 1

Normally I agree with you but this is wrong. Kennedy is a boss.

Normally I agree with you but this is wrong. Kennedy is a boss. Normally I disagree with you.

But not this time

Kennedy is overrated

2 or 3 years ago I would have prefered Bresc in a Heart-beat he was once of Australia's finest but I suspect he's now too old to play in the midfield in the A-League. We've had many come over here who thought they'd own the league because of their skills despite aging but when they got here they've been suprised by the pace (usually its not a constructive pace).

Normally I agree with you but this is wrong. Kennedy is a boss. Normally I disagree with you.

But not this time

Kennedy is overrated

hang on, so you normally disagree with marteaux and you advise us that you disagree again but kennedy is overrated which in fact is disagreeing with him?

back to earth now son, drugs are bad ;)

2 or 3 years ago I would have prefered Bresc in a Heart-beat he was once of Australia's finest but I suspect he's now too old to play in the midfield in the A-League. We've had many come over here who thought they'd own the league because of their skills despite aging but when they got here they've been suprised by the pace (usually its not a constructive pace).

Mifsud was a prime example of pace going nowhere.

Apart from that I wouldn't want bresc anyway. I really can't see him being useful for more then 1 season, if he stays injury free

Agree 100%.

If a striker doesn't score "tap ins" he's not much of a striker.  if you rely on bending them in from 30 yards you won't have many goals come season end, no matter who you are.

WTF is so bad about a "tap in" anyway? (they are worth "one goal"!)  Most of the ones I've seen have needed a seemingly pointless "gambling" run by the striker, in case the ball actually makes the back post, the keeper parries, the ball hits the post etc etc.  Love tap ins!  Only good players ever score them.

Agreed.

Go out on a pitch and have someone whip square balls in to you as you try to time your run and try to strike them clean-not as easy as you might think.

"Easy tap ins" are actually not that easy.  I played in the midfield and used to think tap-ins were easy, until I had two games as a striker.  Couldn't wait to get back in the thick of it in the middle after that!

No one's mentioned that "Engelaar, who won the goal of the year, has been offered a new deal which would also keep him inside the cap".

Imagine he accepted $400k (or whatever) and we had Mooy, Engelaar, Lampard AND Josh Kennedy!  :D

ghaarrrhhrrggghhhh (salivating)

Hmmm but then are we stuck with Hoff and Wielart in defence? 

Not saying we should be wasting our marquee money on a defender, but it's concerning that we seem to have tied down the same defenders as last year with not much mentioned in terms of defence.

I'm sure City are working on deals but would love to see us try and bolster our defence with Spiranovic as the ball playing defender with Kisnorbo laying the big tackles. I wish we could pay Wielart out, do not rate him at all, he is old and taking up a visa spot. I think that we will see one of the City youngsters fill one or both of the fullback positions. 

Just touching back on the Kennedy signing, if he is actually signed... It makes me doubt our attacking prowess with him teaming with Williams.

Knowing that JVS likes to play the wings and expects crosses and headers, then Kennedy could work... But our crosses are fucking shit. Lol

Would much rather ETO'O on the back of a Melbourne city shirt. I might even buy one...

No one's mentioned that "Engelaar, who won the goal of the year, has been offered a new deal which would also keep him inside the cap".

Imagine he accepted $400k (or whatever) and we had Mooy, Engelaar, Lampard AND Josh Kennedy! :D

ghaarrrhhrrggghhhh (salivating)

I think the davutovic article might be a little old interms of engelaar. The leaves said he is off to the mls because he didn't accept an offer. But this might be second offer?

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy.

• Like 1

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy.

Rukavytsya

• Like 2

Rukavytsya

Not even a striker?