Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

People seriously wanting kennedy over samaras need to get serious 

Please present a well thought out argument instead of personal rhetoric. Feel free to mention goal scoring records internationals so on and so forth. By the way saying he played in Europe just doesn't cut it for me (and he played in Scotland so the quality of the league is fairly questionable imo).

I'm aware that Samaras was once eligible to play for Australia but as he ultimately chose Greece, doesn't that rule him out for the Australian maruqee position? Or do the rules allow multiple-nationality players?

I'd still prefer JK over him, but I'm just curious.

Robson de Souza (aka Robinho)!

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here and I know he has another season to go on his AC Milan contract, but his now 30 and will be 31 by the end of his contract on 30/06/2016 so he'd make a spectacular marquee the following season!  ;)

I'd be staggered if he was signed, after the shit City went through with him. Yes, he was the first proper signing with a statement of intent, but what a total pain in the arse he was. He made it no secret that he wanted to go to Chelsea, and I believe he fired his agent because he went to City instead.

Cannot see City going through that again.

I'm aware that Samaras was once eligible to play for Australia but as he ultimately chose Greece, doesn't that rule him out for the Australian maruqee position? Or do the rules allow multiple-nationality players?

Australian passport = Australian person = Australian player.

He can't play for Australia because of the FIFA rules, but he's still viewed as an Australian player.

... AFAIk.

• Like 2

He can't play for Australia because of the FIFA rules, but he's still viewed as an Australian player.

... AFAIk.

Groovy! 

I just wasn't sure if FIFA's national team rules applied but I guess you're right. 

...anyone want Josip Simunic as a result?  :lol:

... AFAIk.

This is confirmed by Shane Smeltz and Perth Glory. They have/had 5 foreigners plus Shane on their books

So does this mean that Peter Odemwingie, who I understand is eligible for a Uzbek passport (but chose to play for Nigeria), could be signed and become (once it comes in) our Asian Import (and our marquee of course).

Apparently Uzbekistan doesn't do dual citizenship, so only if he is willing to throw away his other passport(s).

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1188151/Berbatov-set-for-King-testimonial

with Berbatov all but done with Fulham and the EPL, he might be an interesting option as international marquee.

always look an intelligent player with an ability to score / assist critical goals and always seemed to be a player who could play a part anywhere across the forward line well

Edited by mattyh001

with Berbatov all but done with Fulham and the EPL, he might be an interesting option as international marquee.

always look an intelligent player with an ability to score / assist critical goals and always seemed to be a player who could play a part anywhere across the forward line well

You're a few months late. Berba left Fulham in January.

GK's in the J-League are horrible going by that clip.

East Asians will always struggle to be good goalkeepers, they're at a genetic disadvantage.

They are as a race on average shorter, but pretty much all of the 'keepers I've seen in the ACL are not tiny.

Personally I think its cultural-no-one there aspires to be the 'keeper if they can be an out-field player.  A bit like Brazil used to be about 20 years ago.

Drogba anyone?

Didn't really like him at Galatasaray in terms of on-field performance. Too many matches where he looked like he couldn't care less as if he didn't take the Turkish League seriously. He rarely scored any goals that made him the player he is. Just my 2 cents...

thought he was only loaned out for the last 6 months of his contract but if thats the case then thats the end of it then

thought he was only loaned out for the last 6 months of his contract but if thats the case then thats the end of it then

Correct, Berbatov joined Monaco on loan from Fulham until the end of the season. and he's off contract at the end of the season (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25981420). He would be an excellent A-League marquee IMO (although for Heart I do wonder if City would be open to signing a former United player...).

It's rather tough to think of players coming out of contract at the end of the season that could make excellent marquees. 2 names coming out of contract at the end of the season that don't seem to have serious concrete interest ATM from clubs are: Jordi Gomez and Tiago Mendes.

Also on Heart's marquee, I've began wondering if JVS might want a current or former Ajax player for a marquee (like Sibon), or a player that he's coached before (like Engelaar, who I vaguely recall reading was suggested by JVS to the club last off-season). Possible options that might suit could be Lasse Schone (who's off contract at the end of next season), and Ibrahim Afellay or Siemm de Jong, who are both probably ambitious targets, but they have both suffered injuries in recent times (which they both have seemingly recently recovered from) and hence other clubs could overlook them, so either could be a very shrewd signing.

And some other good conceivable possibilities are Cristian Baroni (off contract at the end of next season), Esteban Granero and Niko Kranjcar, both of whom are contracted until the end of the season after next (til mid-2016), but both were loaned out this season and are seemingly out of favour at their respective clubs, and hence could possibly be sold.

I'm pretty unsure which way the club will go on the international marquee. The only thing the club has signaled about the international marquee was the very quick denial that the club isn't interested in signing Frank Lampard (saying such speculation was "absolutely without foundation" a day or so after the article was published). Either way, I reckon we're bound to hear more soon when JVS and Didulica get back to Australia and the A-League season is fully finished after the grand final.

Correct, Berbatov joined Monaco on loan from Fulham until the end of the season. and he's off contract at the end of the season (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25981420). He would be an excellent A-League marquee IMO (although for Heart I do wonder if City would be open to signing a former United player...).

Incorrect. Initially thought to be a loan, but later confirmed that he transferred. http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1706539/dimitar-berbatov-was-released-fulham?cc=3436

I don't know enough to be able to propose names, but my gut feeling is that we will try to sign a striker for the Australian marquee position, and a playmaker for the international marquee position. I also think we will use the "youth marquee" option to bring over a member of the City EDS, most likely some one who is assessed as a couple of steps away from the EPL and needs a season in the A-League to further his development.

• Like 1

Incorrect. Initially thought to be a loan, but later confirmed that he transferred. http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1706539/dimitar-berbatov-was-released-fulham?cc=3436

Guess I was wrong about the loan. That is surprising, that clubs would be slow to divulge whether a move is a loan not not. Either way he's still out of contract at the end of the season, and he would make an excellent A-League marquee IMO. 

I don't know enough to be able to propose names, but my gut feeling is that we will try to sign a striker for the Australian marquee position, and a playmaker for the international marquee position.

Hmmm.  Seems like we are starting to agree with each other!

I would prefer this option as i don't think there is enough quality Australian playmakers to allow us to sign the right one.   Not sure about that youth marquee, a lot will depend upon the rules, of which I'm not familar.

In regards to a striker, IF we looked for an International marquee for this position i would be looking for someone who:

• Was prepared to work hard both on the field and with the lads at training (ie didn't look down the league)
  • Would track back when we didn't have the ball
  • would come back sometimes when we did have the ball to help get it forward
  • would not get frustrated with the skill level of his team mates
  • would have a very professional approach to his own fitness and condition
  • be a classy finisher

(most of these would apply to a play maker as well)

To me, this list doesn't describe Berbatov.  The guy is a lethal finisher, but he's a high striker renown for showing disinterest when things weren't going his way at the his club.  I'd rather someone not quite as lethal who would be more of a team player.

• Like 4

@murfy It might have been a loan with an option to buy?

Maybe that's the case. TBH I'm not that interested in Berbatov lol. I just think he'd do very well in the A-League because: he scores lots of goals where ever he goes (i.e. he's lethal), he would have no problem physically holding his own in the A-League and he has that "wow factor" (i.e. he shows real class on the football pitch).

However, I agree that he probably wouldn't be an ideal marquee for Heart, as Heart should aim to attract a marquee like ADP, who had an impressive attitude on and off the pitch. At another club though I reckon Berbatov would be an excellent and possibly ideal marquee for them.

With regard to a striker, I'll be very pleased if the club manage to get Kennedy, because he is not only a regular goal-scorer, but a good team player who can and does also set up goals.

Edited by Murfy1

We needing a creative midfield general like a Pirlo, Van der Vaart or Xavi. Obviously landing this calibre of player is not going to be a simple feat, but its the type of marquee we should be striving to bring in. 

• Like 1

It's rather tough to think of players coming out of contract at the end of the season that could make excellent marquees. 2 names coming out of contract at the end of the season that don't seem to have serious concrete interest ATM from clubs are: Jordi Gomez and Tiago Mendes.

Also on Heart's marquee, I've began wondering if JVS might want a current or former Ajax player for a marquee (like Sibon), or a player that he's coached before (like Engelaar, who I vaguely recall reading was suggested by JVS to the club last off-season). Possible options that might suit could be Lasse Schone (who's off contract at the end of next season), and Ibrahim Afellay or Siemm de Jong, who are both probably ambitious targets, but they have both suffered injuries in recent times (which they both have seemingly recently recovered from) and hence other clubs could overlook them, so either could be a very shrewd signing.

And some other good conceivable possibilities are Cristian Baroni (off contract at the end of next season), Esteban Granero and Niko Kranjcar, both of whom are contracted until the end of the season after next (til mid-2016), but both were loaned out this season and are seemingly out of favour at their respective clubs, and hence could possibly be sold.

I'm pretty unsure which way the club will go on the international marquee. The only thing the club has signaled about the international marquee was the very quick denial that the club isn't interested in signing Frank Lampard (saying such speculation was "absolutely without foundation" a day or so after the article was published). Either way, I reckon we're bound to hear more soon when JVS and Didulica get back to Australia and the A-League season is fully finished after the grand final.

Aren't marquees supposed to be well known? I don't know most of the names you mentioned above!  :wacko:

If I had the choice of a an Ono-esque or Del Pierro-esque marquee and I had the money of Man City FC, I'd definitely splash out some more cash and get the Del Pierro-esque marquee! Quality on the field AND puts bums on seats a la Ronaldinho, Lampard, Pirlo, Raul (retired?), etc...

Aren't marquees supposed to be well known? I don't know most of the names you mentioned above!  :wacko:

If I had the choice of a an Ono-esque or Del Pierro-esque marquee and I had the money of Man City FC, I'd definitely splash out some more cash and get the Del Pierro-esque marquee! Quality on the field AND puts bums on seats a la Ronaldinho, Lampard, Pirlo, Raul (retired?), etc...

The players I suggested are more in the Ono or Engelaar mold. That is, they are very good players who would probably make a big splash in the A-League. Also, All of the players I suggested are good ages, nearly all between 25 and 30.

The problem with going after "big names" like Del Piero is that players of that ilk only stop playing top tier football when they are very old. Del Piero turned 38 very early into his first season at Sydney FC, and whilst Frank Lampard would be an excellent signing IMO, he is 35 (and turning 36 in June), and could probably only play well for 2 or 3 or at most 4 seasons.

So that's the main issue with getting "big name" players, they can only play for a few seasons. And Man City themselves have specifically said that they would prefer to get "big players" (like Ono, Engelaar etc.) rather than "big names", and have a "big player" turn into a "big name" by playing very well and helping Melbourne Heart achieve success. Players like Afellay, Siem de Jong, Gomez and Schone could play well for 5 or 6 seasons, or maybe more, at Heart in the A-League.

So that's the appeal of big players, who maybe aren't household names. You can build a team around them. And Man City seem to think that good football and success will put bums on seats as much if not more so than signing an ADP for 2 two seasons (and I think Man City are probably right). So I've just tried to brainstorm "big players" that City could sign for Heart, to keep for more than a few seasons and achieve success.

• Like 1

It may be just me and the people I hang around with but we all prefer quality ahead of notoriety. ADP was brilliant because he was a classy player on the field and just as classy off the field. Kewell was also great in this regard. But for me quality football will bring people through the turnstiles and have people watching their TVs.

The players I suggested are more in the Ono or Engelaar mold. That is, they are very good players who would probably make a big splash in the A-League. Also, All of the players I suggested are good ages, nearly all between 25 and 30.

The problem with going after "big names" like Del Piero is that players of that ilk only stop playing top tier football when they are very old. Del Piero turned 38 very early into his first season at Sydney FC, and whilst Frank Lampard would be an excellent signing IMO, he is 35 (and turning 36 in June), and could probably only play well for 2 or 3 or at most 4 seasons.

So that's the main issue with getting "big name" players, they can only play for a few seasons. And Man City themselves have specifically said that they would prefer to get "big players" (like Ono, Engelaar etc.) rather than "big names", and have a "big player" turn into a "big name" by playing very well and helping Melbourne Heart achieve success. Players like Afellay, Siem de Jong, Gomez and Schone could play well for 5 or 6 seasons, or maybe more, at Heart in the A-League.

So that's the appeal of big players, who maybe aren't household names. You can build a team around them. And Man City seem to think that good football and success will put bums on seats as much if not more so than signing an ADP for 2 two seasons (and I think Man City are probably right). So I've just tried to brainstorm "big players" that City could sign for Heart, to keep for more than a few seasons and achieve success.

Fair enough!

Personally, I too would prefer a semi-well known player a la Afellay/de Jong who I will enjoy watching and who'll bring us success because ultimately I'd prefer to go to the stadium to watch my team win first and enjoy seeing an 'ADP' style marquee second.

In regards to how well known a marquee is, I'm sure that hardly any A-League supporters had ever heard of Thomas Broich before he joined Roar, and now he's a household name in Australian football because of the reputation he earned himself in the A-League. Would much rather a Broich than a Del Piero to be honest.

• Like 3