Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Part of me wants Kennedy to come just so everyone can see how shit and overrated he is. Have had this argument with plenty before so can't be fucked going back over it but he's a tap in merchant and won't stand out at A-Legue level. I don't think we need another slow striker. Please give me someone with pace who isn't a retard (Mifsud)

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy.

Rukavytsya

Not even a striker?

As Baresi is alluding to, not really the type of player we need, I see Ruk as more of a wide forward in a front 3, rather than playing centrally.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

People overstate the importance of a players pace.

Our worst ever player was fast as fuck (Mifsud), and our best ever player was a slow as a sloth (Engelaar).

Happy 5000 posts.

To be able to play the wings (JVS style), we need pace.

Engelaar (and Kewell) had outstanding peripheral vision and experience. Both could shield the ball and lay it off. They fit well in middle of the park because of those attributes. They couldn't sustain playing on the wings.

Couldn't see Ronaldinho leaving his homeland at this stage in his career but damn, he'd be a catch.

Mentioned his name ages ago... then looked him up and found he signed a multi year contract already... 

Ruined my week. ready for your week to get better? He's only contracted till the end of this year at atletico mineiro. I guess the Brazilian league isn't in line with Europe.

We'll take a guest NYC player for 10 games then snatch ronaldinho up in January. Long shot of course but that would be the dream.

• Like 1

Couldn't see Ronaldinho leaving his homeland at this stage in his career but damn, he'd be a catch.

Mentioned his name ages ago... then looked him up and found he signed a multi year contract already... 

Ruined my week. ready for your week to get better? He's only contracted till the end of this year at atletico mineiro. I guess the Brazilian league isn't in line with Europe.

We'll take a guest NYC player for 10 games then snatch ronaldinho up in January. Long shot of course but that would be the dream.

pounditupdated.gif

Edit: All i found was that he supposedly extended his contract, on Jan 9th 2014. But nothing the duration of it. 

Edit 2: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ronaldinho-gaucho/profil/spieler_3373.html says his contract runs out 31st-12-14

Edited by Deviant

Part of me wants Kennedy to come just so everyone can see how shit and overrated he is. Have had this argument with plenty before so can't be fucked going back over it but he's a tap in merchant and won't stand out at A-Legue level. I don't think we need another slow striker. Please give me someone with pace who isn't a retard (Mifsud)

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy. RukavytsyaNot even a striker? As Baresi is alluding to, not really the type of player we need, I see Ruk as more of a wide forward in a front 3, rather than playing centrally.

Not being played up front because he's not good enough at that level.

Was always a striker since juniors, took the piss out of the A-League and that was 5-6 years ago in a mediocre team. Would be lethal in the A-League as he has the perfect blend of technical/physical ability. Shits on Kennedy.

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy. Rukavytsya

Not even a striker?

Did you not watch him when he played for Glory years ago? Always played up front lol.

If Kennedy is a 'tap-in merchant' than wtf does that make Scott McDonald? If we are going to get an Australian striker, I don't think we'll do better than Kennedy. Rukavytsya Not even a striker?

Did you not watch him when he played for Glory years ago? Always played up front lol.

Yeah, he played there, but he's much better as a winger.

• Like 1

Kennedy is good enough for this league. Can you imagine actually having a target to cross into from the wings/corners instead of aimlessly crossing the ball in like we do now? And city will set us up with some young striker as well, so games where kennedy is playing like shit, we can swap in 'gun striker x' into the team.

Don't think rukavytsya will come back just yet, at a good age at 26 but still seems keen to stay overseas. Maybe in 2 years time give him a buzz and see what he's up to.

People overstate the importance of a players pace.

Our worst ever player was fast as fuck (Mifsud), and our best ever player was a slow as a sloth (Engelaar).

David Williams 

No one's mentioned that "Engelaar, who won the goal of the year, has been offered a new deal which would also keep him inside the cap".

Imagine he accepted $400k (or whatever) and we had Mooy, Engelaar, Lampard AND Josh Kennedy! :D

ghaarrrhhrrggghhhh (salivating)

I think the davutovic article might be a little old interms of engelaar. The leaves said he is off to the mls because he didn't accept an offer. But this might be second offer?

Since none of Lampard, Kennedy or Bresciano really fit the bill of the sort of marquee that Begiristain described, IMO it could all be speculation anyway. Why on earth would CFG disclose who they might be looking at?

No-one has actually confirmed Mooy yet.

Josh Kennedy may not be a 'spectacular' striker, but he is a very effective striker that gets the job done. He is a supreme aerial threat, an excellent poacher in the box (which I agree is much tougher than it looks) and he's actually pretty good with his feet (to play in the technical league of Japan for 6 seasons now, a player has to be).

The numbers tell the story with Kennedy. In Japan he's scored 1 goal every 2 games (63 goals over 128 games). Also for the Socceroos Kennedy has scored 1 goal every 2 games (17 goals over 33 games). He was the top scorer in the J-League in 2010 (with 17 goals over 31 games) and 2011 (19 goals over 31 games). And in the current J-League season, which began recently, Kennedy has kept scoring every other game notching 4 goals in 8 games.

These videos show Kennedy's game. The first is a compilation of his goals, and the second is a compilation of his assists (another big reason why he would be a very useful signing, as he's a striker that does much more than score):

The only concern I might have of Kennedy is his injuries, but as far as I know he's been injury free for the past year, and when he did have a few back injuries, intermittently across 2011 and 2012, that didn't stop from being a solid striker.

The fact is this club will be very lucky if it can secure Kennedy, who is contracted to his J-League club until December. He is the most lethal Australian striker out there, and he's a pretty good age (he could play 3 full seasons for this club and still be younger than how old Archie Thompson is right now, for example).

So I really hope the club signs Kennedy, because that will pretty much solve the striker problem that has arguably riddled this club since day 1.

• Like 1

No one's mentioned that "Engelaar, who won the goal of the year, has been offered a new deal which would also keep him inside the cap".

Imagine he accepted $400k (or whatever) and we had Mooy, Engelaar, Lampard AND Josh Kennedy! :D

I think the davutovic article might be a little old interms of engelaar. The leaves said he is off to the mls because he didn't accept an offer. But this might be second offer?

Since none of Lampard, Kennedy or Bresciano really fit the bill of the sort of marquee that Begiristain described, IMO it could all be speculation anyway. Why on earth would CFG disclose who they might be looking at?

It will likely be announced after WSW season was over.

Similar thing happened with Redders. He was "signed" in Jan, but not announced till much later (iirc it may have leaked earlier than when they wanted to announce him)

There was an article in the Herald Sun a while ago in which they were speaking to a City rep (might have been Marwood) and he confirmed Mooy is coming to the Heart next season.

Club is being inconsistent over when it announces signings.

Redmayne's signature was announced in January 2012 while he was still a Brisbane player, but he did not join Heart until after Brisbane's ACL campaign.

Yes, I now recall Marwood saying that we had Mooy for next season. Which begs the question as to why the club doesn't include him in the list...

We missed a fuckload of tap ins this year, sign him up!

Agree 100%.

If a striker doesn't score "tap ins" he's not much of a striker. if you rely on bending them in from 30 yards you won't have many goals come season end, no matter who you are.

WTF is so bad about a "tap in" anyway? (they are worth "one goal"!) Most of the ones I've seen have needed a seemingly pointless "gambling" run by the striker, in case the ball actually makes the back post, the keeper parries, the ball hits the post etc etc. Love tap ins! Only good players ever score them.

Agreed.

Go out on a pitch and have someone whip square balls in to you as you try to time your run and try to strike them clean-not as easy as you might think.

"Easy tap ins" are actually not that easy. I played in the midfield and used to think tap-ins were easy, until I had two games as a striker. Couldn't wait to get back in the thick of it in the middle after that!

The pitch and weather too, you might be used to the ball bouncing or skidding off the pitch at a cirtain speed and your timing could be all wrong and if the pitch is uneven or in poor condition it's even harder. I reckon a volly or a header is a lot easier, for me anyway.

Only played inter-school soccer when at primary school

FWIR I was always put at either left/center back or CDM and once as a GK (Never got a touch that day). Never knew how to 'challenge' so i just swung my leg to bomb it and it worked 99% of the time either the opponent had it far out in front of them or they flinched  :tooth:

Only played inter-school soccer when at primary school

FWIR I was always put at either left/center back or CDM and once as a GK (Never got a touch that day). Never knew how to 'challenge' so i just swung my leg to bomb it and it worked 99% of the time either the opponent had it far out in front of them or they flinched :tooth:

I was a bit of a Hoffman as well, played everywhere, but I liked to be on the wing, either as an attacker or fb.

I reckon the Aussie marquee will fairly easily sort itself out. There's only so many possible candidates, such as players like Kennedy, Bresciano, Samaras, McDonald maybe Holman.

Whereas the international marquee has a lot more options. But at the same time, it may well not be easy to secure a top choice international marquee, as almost by definition these players are highly sort after. For instance, Diego Ribas is being seriously linked with Santos, and it's been reported that Alberto Aquilani might sign a contract extention with Fiorentina in a few days.

It's not easy to think of good possible international marquees that could signed without much difficulty. Joe Cole is an interesting possibility. He's said it's "unlikely" he'll remain at West Ham, and that he want's to go somewhere where he can just play regularly and "enjoy my football". He also said he can still perform in the EPL (also, he's reported to have attracted interest from Ligue 1 Lille), that he's got years left in him and that "I'll be looking next year to play in a more central role" (where he thinks he's best suited, rather than out wide) (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11685/9282968/joe-cole-expects-to-leave-west-ham-at-the-end-of-the-season).

Van Der Vaart is ideal and should be the main target for the international marquee position IMO. It was reported a few hours ago (with the original report said to come from Hamburg's main newspaper) that A) VDV is Hamburg SV's priciest player, paid 3,5 million Euros a season B.) that the club has significant debt C) that Hamburg SV want to get rid of VDV at the end of the season, whether the club is relegated or not and D) that there is currently no "concrete interest" in VDV from other clubs (as reported in multiple places, like here http://www.v-bal.nl/nieuws/261662/hsv-zet-van-der-vaart-in-etalage-ajax-loert.html).

Hopefully a few other good and plausible candidates emerge for the international marquee position, or else the club should just really go after a player like VDV.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

My only goal ever during my amateur footballing days was literally a tap-in from 1 metre out, I'm pretty clinical  :up:

I chipped a fat keeper in under 12's once, the poor cunt couldnt waddle back to the goal line fast enough. 

Expect a PM from Brian Marwood any minute now boys.  Everyone in Manchester (never mind the small fry like JVS!) will be salivating over your description of your lethal finishing!

• Like 2

My only goal ever during my amateur footballing days was literally a tap-in from 1 metre out, I'm pretty clinical  :up:

I chipped a fat keeper in under 12's once, the poor cunt couldnt waddle back to the goal line fast enough. 

Expect a PM from Brian Marwood any minute now boys.  Everyone in Manchester (never mind the small fry like JVS!) will be salivating over your description of your lethal finishing!

Unfortunetly some of us have a horrid highlights reel ahah

As a Celtic fan I would much prefer Kennedy over Samaras...

This coming from a bloke with his number on a couple of Celtic Shirts as well.

As a City fan, so would I. He was simply awful for us.

His more freakish than Kennedy on his day but even in the A League I think Kennedy would be more consistent.

Robson de Souza (aka Robinho)!

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here and I know he has another season to go on his AC Milan contract, but his now 30 and will be 31 by the end of his contract on 30/06/2016 so he'd make a spectacular marquee the following season!  ;)