Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Age 32, played for Maltese league, sign as international marquee, high profile..... they can't be serious????.....I don't want it at all. At 165cm we have enough half pints in the side with Murocca....we don't want another one.

You've clearly never seen him play.

No I haven't and be the first to admit but not saying he is not a decent player but at 32 and having played last in the Maltese league and to be signed as an international marquee....are we trying to lift the standard of the A-league or send it backwards? What is the standard of the Maltese Premier League???. FFS the Maltese national team had John Hutchinson play for them so that must tell you something?

I still think it be a bit deflating if it turns out to be an old short bloke playing in Malta...

Deflating? If this is what we come up with after giving McGrath, a promising young Aussie, the boot then there should be nothing short of rage. To cap off what has been a promising off-season with a signing like this would be utterly embarrassing, and would shatter all of the good work we have been able to do up until now.

I still think it be a bit deflating if it turns out to be an old short bloke playing in Malta...

Deflating? If this is what we come up with after giving McGrath, a promising young Aussie, the boot then there should be nothing short of rage. To cap off what has been a promising off-season with a signing like this would be utterly embarrassing, and would shatter all of the good work we have been able to do up until now. You are an absolute imbecile. How the fuck is Mifsud not better than McGrath???

Deflating? If this is what we come up with after giving McGrath, a promising young Aussie, the boot then there should be nothing short of rage. To cap off what has been a promising off-season with a signing like this would be utterly embarrassing, and would shatter all of the good work we have been able to do up until now.

Don't forget that all our plans had to be reviewed when Engelaar broke his leg. I think it possible that up until that time we possibly were looking at McGrath plus an international striker.

I see Mifsud, if he's signed, as being very positive for us. I agree that it's a bit of a pity to pass up on McGrath, but the advantage Mifsud has is that he played a lot of football last season, unlike Mcgrath, and indeed unlike a whole lot of players in our squad. At the end of last season we were abysmal, we can't win on the road, we can't score, and we need something to spark us up, and I reckon Mifsud can do just that.

I don't class 32 years as old, and a player like Mifsud could easily give us 3-5 years service. And I reckon he'll appeal to the Maltese community - let's face it, we need people through the gate as well as goals.

And may I point out that he is not being signed as a marquee. Our international marquee, that is paid (at least in part) outside the salary cap, is Engelaar.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

i always find it funny when people say 'if you sign X player the entire community of that player's country of origin will immediately support the club'

maybe a poor example but has alessandro del piero increased italian support for the club tenfold? what about dutch people, are they heart supporters now?

Mate Italians have gun players by the dozen.

When a Maltese person has a small achievement, we celebrate it and back it. Im of Maltese background and when i saw Mifsud bend of Utd at Old Trafford, i felt nothing bu pride in the fact that someone from Malta had achieved that.

Trust me when i say that it will make an impact in crowd numbers.

Not to mention the bloke can play. Anyone who's seen him play can tell you that and i've seen him play live as well as followed him when he was in England. Was very close to being signed by Utd from what ive been told by family back in Malta. You have to remember that he has had zero to work with in regards to talent with Malta and has still been able to put em in the back of the net. Great finisher and has pace to burn and like someone else has stated in this forum, Aloisi would have to play the ball on the deck because of his size and not play that long ball crack he had us result to last season.

Here are some highlights of him i found on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtGn8aEvCj8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Like 3

Some recent SoccerStoppageTime tweets (those guys need to learn to type. All mistakes in original text):

@MelbourneHeart Also the strike Heart are trying to sign is Michael Mifsud a Maltese International. #SST

Italain Midfielder Migliorin ( trialed with FC in Italy ) injury for Engelaar and the Heart striker marquee negotiating is Michael Mifsud 
Edited by Murfy1

Don't forget that all our plans had to be reviewed when Engelaar broke his leg. I think it possible that up until that time we possibly were looking at McGrath plus an international striker.

I see Mifsud, if he's signed, as being very positive for us. I agree that it's a bit of a pity to pass up on McGrath, but the advantage Mifsud has is that he played a lot of football last season, unlike Mcgrath, and indeed unlike a whole lot of players in our squad. At the end of last season we were abysmal, we can't win on the road, we can't score, and we need something to spark us up, and I reckon Mifsud can do just that.

I don't class 32 years as old, and a player like Mifsud could easily give us 3-5 years service. And I reckon he'll appeal to the Maltese community - let's face it, we need people through the gate as well as goals.

And may I point out that he is not being signed as a marquee. Our international marquee, that is paid (at least in part) outside the salary cap, is Engelaar.

1. Irrelevant that we may have been looking at McGrath plus an international striker. We should not be looking to bring in an international for the sake of it, only if he is a better option than what we already have.

2. Advantage of Mifsud is that he has played a lot of football last season. In the fucking Maltese first division. Sweet. On that basis we should pluck the Ballarat Red Devils' starting striker because he has played heaps of football this season at about the same level. 

3. Mifsud will provide a spark maybe, on the ground, but what about when we turn to our predictable long ball game (Yes Aloisi's fault). It is going to be like watchiong Alex Terra at striker in Season 2. We all know how well that worked out.

4. Don't class 32 as old. Mifsud is a speed player, when his legs leave him, which in reality can only be soon, he's proper fucked.

5. Signing a player because they appeal to any community has proven to be pointless when you don't win games, which we won't with this donkey leading the line.

6. I know he isn't a marquee and I don't care how much he costs us when we had a young Aussie with a promising future, who would've signed for about as much, being turned down because we are in negotiations with some ageing bloke whose main claim to fame is scoring twice against Man U about 10 fucking years ago.

7. Finally, you only need to check his goal scoring record when he was in a half decent league to know that there is only one possible ending to us signing this guy, and it ends in a very similar fashion to when we signed Maycon.

Mifsud has scored some absolutely cracking goals in recent years (watch at around the 5 minute mark for his most recent goals):

They say form is temporary, but class is permanent. This guy might have enough class to do pretty well next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

What's your opinion of a half decent league?

I'd say the only clubs that are remotely worth looking at are Kaiserslautern (Not their reserves side either), Barnsley and Coventry, and even then you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah we're not exactly at a world class level. I'm wary of his level of talent but the last 2 minutes of that YouTube video shows some classy finishes.

Marn11 mate they're all great points if your a typical negative supporter like half this forum seems to be full of.

McGrath's record isn't much to look at when u put it next to Mifsud's either.

Name how many strikers in this comp "were" guns in Europe?? Not even Berisha or Shmetlz who have at some stage dominated the A League up front babe done stuff all before coming here and we've even had players with great pedigree come here and done stuff all.

My only worry is that Aloisi will sign him and still play that long ball crap, but surely be is not that mentally challenged to do that.

Your an idiot marn11 if u think two clubs that were in the Championship is scrapping the bottom of the barrel then your a idiot...

Nah ur idiot cadit. Regrles ov lvl, scorin rcord waz por az. Nw eye wil sit bak an w8 4 a lecta on west oz an catholix.

What's your opinion of a half decent league?

I'd say the only clubs that are remotely worth looking at are Kaiserslautern (Not their reserves side either), Barnsley and Coventry, and even then you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah we're not exactly at a world class level. I'm wary of his level of talent but the last 2 minutes of that YouTube video shows some classy finishes.

The classic YouTube scout. Haha

Marn11 mate they're all great points if your a typical negative supporter like half this forum seems to be full of.

McGrath's record isn't much to look at when u put it next to Mifsud's either.

Name how many strikers in this comp "were" guns in Europe?? Not even Berisha or Shmetlz who have at some stage dominated the A League up front babe done stuff all before coming here and we've even had players with great pedigree come here and done stuff all.

My only worry is that Aloisi will sign him and still play that long ball crap, but surely be is not that mentally challenged to do that.

Nothing but optimism from me this off-season actually. Fair point regarding McGrath's scoring record, difference being McGrath is about 10 years younger and Australian.

Given that one of our clubs pillars is promoting Australian youth, I find it disappointing to say the least that we would choose to bypass him in favour of this guy. 

None, but how many forged their career in some backwash Euro nation?

Make no mistake, with the way Aloisi has us playing, Mifsud will find it way harder than most to succeed.

Mifsud has scored some absolutely cracking goals in recent years (watch at around the 5 minute mark for his most recent goals):

They say form is temporary, but class is permanent. This guy might have enough class to do pretty well next season.

First time I've seen that video and some of those goals were jaw droppers.

Plus from every video u watch, besides the fact he knows how to have a crack outside the box, he seems to be in the right place at the right time and that means he knows to get into dangerous areas. If Kewell can play behind him and put through some sexy through balls his way, u know he'll finish

Yes we promote youth but should we promote it to the point where we have to have a majority of our starting 11 inexperienced??

I'm sorry, I love the idea of youth but you need a balance of experience and youth which I believe for the first time, we have.

You clearly don't know much about Mifsud except for his height his age and the fact he plays for a "backwash euro nation" which alone only was a joke of a comment.

Yes we promote youth but should we promote it to the point where we have to have a majority of our starting 11 inexperienced??

I'm sorry, I love the idea of youth but you need a balance of experience and youth which I believe for the first time, we have.

You clearly don't know much about Mifsud except for his height his age and the fact he plays for a "backwash euro nation" which alone only was a joke of a comment.

Majority of our starting 11 inexperienced? Kisnorbo, Weilaert, Murdocca, Gerhardt, Kewell, Williams and heck even Behich, Dugandzic are hardly inexperienced anymore either. But you are correct, we are crawling with inexperienced, talented young footballers. 

Sorry, by backwash euro nation what I really meant was powerhouse footballing nation. You could see how the two can be confused.

• Like 1

clicked for the goals, stayed longer for the tune....nice goals though.

Majority of our starting 11 inexperienced? Kisnorbo, Weilaert, Murdocca, Gerhardt, Kewell, Williams and heck even Behich, Dugandzic are hardly inexperienced anymore either. But you are correct, we are crawling with inexperienced, talented young footballers. 

Sorry, by backwash euro nation what I really meant was powerhouse footballing nation. You could see how the two can be confused.

Let's settle LIBBA, Malta is a fantastic place but its footballing pedigree isn't the most well renowned for a reason

• Like 1

Yeah I know. I just got fired up as I usually do lol.

Malta is far from a powerhouse footballing nation. I think its cause ive been calling for this bloke for ages that I want him to get signed up and work out.

What I meant with the starting 11 comment was not that we have an in experienced side now. More about that I think we have the right blend now and that sometimes you have to have a go with something different cause we have produced talented tooth footballers, but has that helped the club move forward on the pitch and I can't see that it has. Probably would of if we'd kept them all instead of selling them off though