Melbourne Football

Round 10 away to Smurfs

mattyh001

IMO we're just entering the "vinegar stroke" period of the season. The next three matches - Sydney, Victory and Perth - will establish whether we are title contenders or just pretenders for yet another season. The FFA Cup is a solid achievement, but it doesn't take us into Asia. Brandan is on four cards, Bruno and Muscat on three, and so that's something else that we have to watch. We have a tough ending to the season with more away matches than at home, so we need to be taking points off the other contenders to be there at the end of the season. That's how I see it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we're just entering the "vinegar stroke" period of the season. The next three matches - Sydney, Victory and Perth - will establish whether we are title contenders or just pretenders for yet another season. The FFA Cup is a solid achievement, but it doesn't take us into Asia. Brandan is on four cards, Bruno and Muscat on three, and so that's something else that we have to watch. We have a tough ending to the season with more away matches than at home, so we need to be taking points off the other contenders to be there at the end of the season. That's how I see it.

Sorry for my ignorance "vinegar stroke"???

The rest pretty much were we are at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

yep us old wankers know all about the vinegar stroke !

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Malik out with a quad injury. This a blow because IMO Chapman and Jakobsen don't look comfortable together. Genreau still in the squad - here we go - lose a defensive player and promote a forward.

We may see Kilkenny dropping and playing the 3 of Colazo Jakobsen and Franjic.

Super attacking.

But more likely Rose or Muscat.

Edited by Jovan

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (c), 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN, 34.Denis GENREAU

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 8.Neil KILKENNY (returns from suspension), 34.Denis GENREAU (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-set-for-sydney-test/881xw48nyam310j525d6golzo#1YfSXdZMplO4Al6Z.99

No idea whether we'll opt for 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 here but i suspect we'll line up as we did in the cup, with Chapman replacing Malik. Caceres for Cahill is a possibility given Cahill's injury and potentially Fitzy could start over Kamau based on form. I'm tipping 1-1 as i think this has cagey draw written all over it but a win here would be huge, as would a loss. Bruno from the spot.

Bouzanis

Franjic   Chapman  Jakobsen  Colazo

Kilkenny    Brattan

Cahill

Kamau            Fornaroli     Brandan

SUBS : Sorensen Caceres  Retre Fitzgerald Muscat

I'm amused that we are suddenly such a physical team. Heart/City has always been such a pushover team in the face of even minor physicality from opponents, suddenly we are supposed to be more physical than perennial bruisers like Perth and visit0rs and WSW. Teams are just frustrated that it doesn't work any more. That won't stop Arnold bring on bouncer Matt Simon during the second half though

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No idea whether we'll opt for 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 here but i suspect we'll line up as we did in the cup, with Chapman replacing Malik. Caceres for Cahill is a possibility given Cahill's injury and potentially Fitzy could start over Kamau based on form. I'm tipping 1-1 as i think this has cagey draw written all over it but a win here would be huge, as would a loss. Bruno from the spot.

Bouzanis

Franjic   Chapman  Jakobsen  Colazo

Kilkenny    Brattan

Cahill

Kamau            Fornaroli     Brandan

SUBS : Sorensen Caceres  Retre Fitzgerald Muscat

I'm going with the above as most likely starting formation. But I would swap Muscat for Chapman. 

I'd be happy with a point but a loss would be a big blow. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm amused that we are suddenly such a physical team. Heart/City has always been such a pushover team in the face of even minor physicality from opponents, suddenly we are supposed to be more physical than perennial bruisers like Perth and visit0rs and WSW.

This is a huge part of the hate, teams and supporters not only have to deal with a good team, but a way tougher opponent, and it hurts.