Melbourne Football

Round 10 away to Smurfs

mattyh001

Maybe we should have a system where the player consults the ref to see what reaction would be appropriate, if the ref gives the nod then the player can just dive and roll around in pain and wait for the magic spray.

This would be much less controversial and much more entertaining.

lofr1.gif

Edited by playmaker

Fuck its so simple though both from a refereeing point of view and a club point of view. Its not hard for the club to stamp out this behavior if the group collectively is spoken to and agrees to remove some of the theatrics. Its not hard either for referees to have protocols should over the top theatrics be used. 

Just a side note on the Fernando incident there should be a zero policy for anyone touching a player on the face. Same with Bruno last week to North. Its barely contact but its done in a way where its simulated to indicate contact. FFA should notify the clubs of their rules surrounding these things and make it clear to all players. Its just not that hard, if of course the refs have the balls to follow through with it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Fuck its so simple though both from a refereeing point of view and a club point of view. Its not hard for the club to stamp out this behavior if the group collectively is spoken to and agrees to remove some of the theatrics. Its not hard either for referees to have protocols should over the top theatrics be used. 

Just a side note on the Fernando incident there should be a zero policy for anyone touching a player on the face. Same with Bruno last week to North. Its barely contact but its done in a way where its simulated to indicate contact. FFA should notify the clubs of their rules surrounding these things and make it clear to all players. Its just not that hard, if of course the refs have the balls to follow through with it. 

Indeed it is. IMO it's ironic that this is just about the only thing being discussed just a couple of weeks after we've won our first silverware, and a few days before the Christmas Derby, arguably our biggest home match of the regular season.

All the necessary instruments exist to address what FFA defines as simulation. FFA claims that the A-League is one of the few leagues in the world that has the authority to retrospectively apply penalties (in the general use of the term) for incidents that took place in matches. The Match Review Panel is specifically instructed to look at incidents that might be simulation, and has the power to apply penalties retrospectively. Clause 9.1 (c) (iii). It is true that the focus of simulation is if it resulted in a penalty kick (9.36 - 9.39), but IMO the MRP has the power to address other incidents of simulation through its general powers as in clause 9.40.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed it is. IMO it's ironic that this is just about the only thing being discussed just a couple of weeks after we've won our first silverware, and a few days before the Christmas Derby, arguably our biggest home match of the regular season.

As a Bulldogs supporter it's become very obvious to me that forums centred around a particular team are significantly busier when a side doesn't live up to expectations in some way. There's only so many posts you can make about how satisfied the club has made you without repeating yourself, but there are infinite posts you can make about what needs fixing and how. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

There's only so many posts you can make about how satisfied the club has made you without repeating yourself

This is how i see it. Debate and expressing differences in opinions/points of view results in ongoing discussion.

A forum full of " we won silverware a few weeks back. That makes me happy" "me too" isnt exactly going to make an exciting or interesting forum.

I personally dont think there's much in the Simon thing. IMO He's tried to be intimidating and he's caught Jakobsen at the precise wrong second and got him in the head.

In saying that, as much as i hate how soft the suspensions in the AFL are these days, and that you shouldnt be suspended for accidents or incidental contact, the fact that he's 'elected' to bump means Simon would have got at least two weeks in the AFL and so a week here was expected.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2016 at 8:50 PM, bt50 said:

I personally dont think there's much in the Simon thing. IMO He's tried to be intimidating and he's caught Jakobsen at the precise wrong second and got him in the head.

In saying that, as much as i hate how soft the suspensions in the AFL are these days, and that you shouldnt be suspended for accidents or incidental contact, the fact that he's 'elected' to bump means Simon would have got at least two weeks in the AFL and so a week here was expected.

I reckon David Squires has captured Simon pretty well in his latest cartoon. Simon knew exactly what he wanted to do (off the ball) and that was to land something on Jakobsen's jaw. Thug player IMO.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2016/dec/15/david-squires-on-booing-tim-cahill-and-santas-a-league-naughty-list

30848009193_46b0f8b57e_m.jpg

• Like 4