Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

25 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Spots are there but don't need to be used. Spending big on the first team and packing the rest of the squad with up and coming youth has been proven to work in the a-league.

But we aren’t spending big Bob....we never have and haven’t done it this year. 

I certainly agree with this strategy.

Well done to Jmac and Berenguer to get the most out of the club with their marquee contracts but surely we aren’t kidding ourselves that we’ve gone all out this season.

Edited by Mr MO

50 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Spots are there but don't need to be used. Spending big on the first team and packing the rest of the squad with up and coming youth has been proven to work in the a-league.

Not really. The smurfs and tards have hardly used your formula and they have been the most successful over the last 3 seasons.

45 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Especially given the quality of our youth... 

Unproven on the big stage. Wish people would just stop with the fake narrative.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Not really. The smurfs and tards have hardly used your formula and they have been the most successful over the last 3 seasons.

What formula did they use? The first obvious one for me is a higher standard for marquee players.

While preseason is still speculative, we can be pretty sure that Victory will have more fire power.  We will stay a younger brother fighting with the youngest brother. When you add Glory and Sydney, this season will be another one very challenging to get to ACL spot.  Bar injuries, these clubs have got a better players on the sheet. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 6:39 PM, Imtellingyou said:

While preseason is still speculative, we can be pretty sure that Victory will have more fire power.  We will stay a younger brother fighting with the youngest brother. When you add Glory and Sydney, this season will be another one very challenging to get to ACL spot.  Bar injuries, these clubs have got a better players on the sheet. 

Im not pretty sure at all, these 2 Uruguayans could be Bruno-eske for all we know

Noone could dominate at this level and Windbichl or however you spell it was in the K-league team of the year last year and could be a like for like for Bart. A full preseason for Macca and throw in a brand new manager who can be sure of anything ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Im not pretty sure at all, these 2 Uruguayans could be Bruno-eske for all we know

Noone could dominate at this level and Windbichl or however you spell it was in the K-league team of the year last year and could be a like for like for Bart. A full preseason for Macca and throw in a brand new manager who can be sure of anything ?

Noone for sure is being underestimated. He's one of the very best A League arrivals this season. As good as anything Victory have signed for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I bet Delinov is kicking himself now

I said before that he jumped too early, and I was right.

36 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

With Birighitti, Eugene and Delianov all leaving in the off season we're suddenly really short of quality keeping depth.

Ahmad Taleb is an U-17 representative, so I don't think that it's panic time just yet. However, it would make sense to bring in someone a little bit older and with more experience than he has. If there is someone out there and we can do so.

17 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I'm thinking now about Genreau and Griffiths.

I wonder if they'll be happy to stick around on the bench. 

Denis was still on the bench so i dont think he'd have any major cause for concern. Griff, paired with the rumours is almost certainly gone imo. Esp given his presumed reasonable wage, makes sense to clear him out and sign someone else. Who that is im not sure as obviously it needs to be an Aussie. 
Jesse Curran and Mile Jedinak seem the obvious options to me, Mile would require some cap space cleared to bring Florin under and then he be given the marquee slot though i imagine.

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Denis was still on the bench so i dont think he'd have any major cause for concern. Griff, paired with the rumours is almost certainly gone imo. Esp given his presumed reasonable wage, makes sense to clear him out and sign someone else. Who that is im not sure as obviously it needs to be an Aussie. 
Jesse Curran and Mile Jedinak seem the obvious options to me, Mile would require some cap space cleared to bring Florin under and then he be given the marquee slot though i imagine.

I have a feeling that it will be Curran. 

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ahmad Taleb is an U-17 representative, so I don't think that it's panic time just yet. However, it would make sense to bring in someone a little bit older and with more experience than he has. If there is someone out there and we can do so.

I don't have a massive problem with Ahmad Taleb being our back up keeper - but if he travels with the match day squad it likely limits his time with the youth team playing minutes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I have a feeling that it will be Curran. 

Same. I reckon we'll let Curran Metcalfe and Genreau compete for the spot next to Brillante, with Florin and Luna to compete for the 10. The excess cap space might be being utilised on a keeper if last nights commentary is to be believed.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Same. I reckon we'll let Curran Metcalfe and Genreau compete for the spot next to Brillante, with Florin and Luna to compete for the 10.

We play with one 6 and two attacking 8s. 

Griffiths competes with Brillante for the 6 spot or is on the bench. Reckon he will leave. 

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Where's that reported?

Also looks like Wes Hoolahan will join Newcastle Jets after we came close to signing him in January.

Langerak no chance imo. Can't see any reason why he'd come back when he's playing regularly in the J League.

Federici the likely option if there's anything in that rumour at all imo.

• Like 1

Just now, bt50 said:

Langerak no chance imo. Can't see any reason why he'd come back when he's playing regularly in the J League.

Federici the likely option if there's anything in that rumour at all imo.

That's what I thought. Too good for this league and he's only 30. 

Not sure how we'd fit him under the Cap either.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Definitely need someone like Delinov and if city was a bit more proactive in making decisions sooner we could have kept him. I don't blame the kid for leaving was guaranteed a second spot and full contact. I would have left to. 

Speedy made mention during the commentary that we were in talks with an Australian keeper who is more than just a back up to Bouzanis......only names that come to mind are Jack Duncan and Federici who would be available and are genuine first choice options. Not sure on Brad Jones situation as Saudi clubs are unpredictable even when players are contributing well.

33 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Speedy made mention during the commentary that we were in talks with an Australian keeper who is more than just a back up to Bouzanis......only names that come to mind are Jack Duncan and Federici who would be available and are genuine first choice options. Not sure on Brad Jones situation as Saudi clubs are unpredictable even when players are contributing well.

Mitch Langerak anybody?

• Like 1

I don't think we've ever had quite the right GK at either Heart or City. Even Sorensen, good as he was, couldn't save a penalty. Bouzanis' contract expires at the end of 2019/20 and I'd like to see us getting someone on board who's going to take over next season and make the position his own for seasons to come.

Another thing we lack is players who stay to build the club around - another reason to try and go for a younger player IMO. (And yes, I know that GKs age well.)

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we've ever had quite the right GK at either Heart or City. Even Sorensen, good as he was, couldn't save a penalty. Bouzanis' contract expires at the end of 2019/20 and I'd like to see us getting someone on board who's going to take over next season and make the position his own for seasons to come.

Another thing we lack is players who stay to build the club around - another reason to try and go for a younger player IMO. (And yes, I know that GKs age well.)

Disagree.

We have had decent to very good keepers, and that's comparing to the rest of the League. 

Bolton was in the top 3 keepers in S1/2 and Sorensen also was in the top group and Galekovic last year was also IMO in the top 3 for the League. 

Bouzanis is good enough to be our starting keeper, I would have liked to see Birighitti but he lucked out.

The fundamental problem we have had regarding long term players we haven't been that good so every 2 seasons we change Managers and obviously they want different players and as a result the player turnover is huge, hopefully this is the start of a 5 year spell of continuity and success and who knows Bouzanis may be our NO1 for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Tando was a bit of a cult figure, and a terrace hero. Shame he left. Think he'd always be welcome back. 

15 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Have a feeling the young aussie keeper will be Jordan Holmes, released from Bournemouth and was most recently trialling with Plymouth Argyle. 

That being so I'm slightly underwhelmed. Can't get a gig at a club just relegated to League 2 doesn't fill me with confidence. That's not someone who sounds like they are challenging for the jersey, they are just there to warm the bench. However, I'll wait and see, would be harsh to write him off, and the current competition isn't crash hot. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic