Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

On 7/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, citypool said:

Western United are going to sign diamante, victory are talking to kruse, Adelaide and Newcastle both signed two players that played in the gold cup. With all our resources we sign two unknowns it’s just frustrating having so many resources and not being more ambitious in the transfer market. 

Perhaps you've signed a couple of diamonds in the rough (Luna and Cabrera) because of the scouting resources CFG has at its disposal. That's where City should hold a competitive advantage, because we know for sure that CFG aren't going to spend more on marquees than some of our rivals. 

There's also no point in making any judgement calls on these two "unknowns" before they've played a game. The best players for us (in the CFG era) have pretty much all been unknowns before arriving here, so if anything these types of signings should excite City fans, not disappoint. Especially considering they've signed this far from the start of the season!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marn11 said:

Perhaps you've signed a couple of diamonds in the rough (Luna and Cabrera) because of the scouting resources CFG has at its disposal. That's where City should hold a competitive advantage, because we know for sure that CFG aren't going to spend more on marquees than some of our rivals. 

There's also no point in making any judgement calls on these two "unknowns" before they've played a game. The best players for us (in the CFG era) have pretty much all been unknowns before arriving here, so if anything these types of signings should excite City fans, not disappoint. Especially considering they've signed this far from the start of the season!

Spot on. When you look back the Visa signings have been pretty much 50% success rate. The Marquees have been less.

What can you say about Florin being elevated to Marquee also adds more confusion.

19 minutes ago, Heartman said:

Spot on. When you look back the Visa signings have been pretty much 50% success rate. The Marquees have been less.

What can you say about Florin being elevated to Marquee also adds more confusion.

I couldn't care less that he's been assigned to marquee. It's just an accounting technique.

Certainly doesn't make sense when making a judgment on Berenguer's salary. @bt50 thinks his salary would be around $200K. So if that's true, it's odd that he'd be marquee over Brillante, who's on close to $600K.

But maybe it's all bullshit. Or maybe Berenguer is criminally overpaid. 

All I know is we've built a very strong squad and if these foreign players are good enough, we can qualify for Asia and win the title.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I couldn't care less that he's been assigned to marquee. It's just an accounting technique.

Certainly doesn't make sense when making a judgment on Berenguer's salary. @bt50 thinks his salary would be around $200K. So if that's true, it's odd that he'd be marquee over Brillante, who's on close to $600K.

All I know is we've built a very strong squad and if these foreign players are good enough, we can qualify for Asia and win the title.

I do care. If we have a player listed as a Marquee and he struggles to start, which on last years form is highly likely thats a major problem.

Now going down the path who gets paid what is all speculation, but whoever gets named as a Marquee is clear and if he is not our best player or highest paid player then to me thats a massive problem. 

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Tbh i'd suggest that figure would be much closer to 300k now or even beyond (imo way too much given his pedigree) if he's been slotted into marquee for a season.

My guess is that he signed a two year deal worth roughly 300k per season. Last season we paid the absolute minimum, 55k i think, with balance to be paid this season. That leaves roughly 550k, which could mean he's the highest paid player in the given year and is hence the 2nd marquee for accounting purposes. Pretty good strategy imo if you sign a good player, but if you sign a dud its exceptionally embarrassing for the recruiting team, which is where it sits at the moment in my opinion. In saying that, his last five games last season and the change of coach offer the slightest glimmer of hope in regards to him 'coming good' for the 19/20 season, but geez he's got a shiteload of ground to make up.

In a related but also totally speculative point, potentially you could say move a player off the books like a Griffiths etc and then you can bring him back in under the cap and open yourself up for an Australian marquee such as Jedinak etc. Not sure there's really anyone worth pursuing outside of Jedi though tbf.

FWIW i was happy with Luna as marquee so it doesnt bother me too much, but its still a failure on behalf of the list management team to end up with a marquee thats not in your best XI.

Edited by bt50

51 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Yes, it is an accounting technique, but IMO not "just" that. It makes no sense at all to have anyone other than your two highest-paid players as marquees. Except that CFG may have an internal limit on the marquee spend.

As far as Berenguer is concerned, he has to improve out of sight whatever his classification. On paper right now he possibly wouldn't even make the bench.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, it is an accounting technique, but IMO not "just" that. It makes no sense at all to have anyone other than your two highest-paid players as marquees. Except that CFG may have an internal limit on the marquee spend.

As far as Berenguer is concerned, he has to improve out of sight whatever his classification. On paper right now he possibly wouldn't even make the bench.

He will 100% be the second highest paid player in the squad for the year if he's marquee. Otherwise you just tie yourself in knots in respect to the January window, even if you have no intention of spending more $$$.

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that it's been difficult to judge the potential of any attacking player over the past 2 years, Wazza's system just wasn't designed to do anything meaningful in attack

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

He will 100% be the second highest paid player in the squad for the year if he's marquee. Otherwise you just tie yourself in knots in respect to the January window, even if you have no intention of spending more $$$.

But isn’t the marquee ruling is that the 2 biggest earners will automatically be granted marquees status if the club applies for this?

Edited by Mr MO

48 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I think that it's been difficult to judge the potential of any attacking player over the past 2 years, Wazza's system just wasn't designed to do anything meaningful in attack

Your post is too logical for this current discussion. Please stop and don't get in the way of this Florin bashing narrative.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But isn’t the marquee ruling is that the 2 biggest earners will automatically be granted marquees status if the club applies for this?

I think you still have to technically apply for the marquee status, as evidenced by the FFA approved clause, but yes in reality its pretty much that the two highest earners are your marquees for the purpose of the salary cap.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Your post is too logical for this current discussion. Please stop and don't get in the way of this Florin bashing narrative.

This is hard to say, but you're wrong. The reason it's difficult is because it's admitting a player wont be successful thereby leading to the team not being successful. So i hope you're right about Florian and he does pick up and im wrong. But I don't think I am. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

This is hard to say, but you're wrong. The reason it's difficult is because it's admitting a player wont be successful thereby leading to the team not being successful. So i hope you're right about Florian and he does pick up and im wrong. But I don't think I am. 

Niko, you may be correct, I hope not. I just don't think that we can use last season's team structure or 'tactics' to judge the potential of any of our forward-line players from last season

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I hold out some hope that he'll be a valuable cog in us being successful this year, be that as a starting XI player, or imo, far more likely, a useful weapon off the bench.
I highly, highly doubt he's going to be able to improve so much we think he's worthy of marquee status however.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Niko, you may be correct, I hope not. I just don't think that we can use last season's team structure or 'tactics' to judge the potential of any of our forward-line players from last season

Most of the poor stuff I’ve seen from Berenguer has absolutely nothing to do with position, tactics or Warren Joyce. We can only blame WJ for contracting him but surely can’t blame him for the piss weak shots, fall overs, air swings and poor attitude in some games. Let’s hope for an improved Florin this season!

Edited by Mr MO

FWIW Florin played injured for a large chunk of the season and never really got a clean run at it until the end according to one of the coaching staff i spoke to back in March. Grain of salt perhaps, but this was just before he 'came good' to some extent.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

FWIW Florin played injured for a large chunk of the season and never really got a clean run at it until the end according to one of the coaching staff i spoke to back in March. Grain of salt perhaps, but this was just before he 'came good' to some extent.

I thought he was "conveniently" injured at one point so that Baccus could continue to play as an injury replacement?

But seriously, playing a visa player injured for most of a season is just bad management. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well that might explain a lot, but fuck me don’t start him if he isn’t fit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

Careful now.

50 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Yikes Victory giving Kruse a marquee deal 

What's the yikes about, he is a 2 dimensional player, either shit or injured.

Let the tards have him.

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

My issue is that with the type of attributes he has he should not be playing wide and forward.

As I have always said, he looked like a player that will create plays through the centre corridor to players that are more competent in a forward role.

We will see where he gets played this season and how he performs.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

just don't think that we can use last season's team structure or 'tactics' to judge the potential of any of our forward-line players from last season

Well said and Totally agree.

Also we should take into account we had no striker for the bulk of the season thanks to the mindless idiots who supported the Wazza incompetence. The midfield and forward players are the last people we should be pointing fingers at.

Absolutely disgraceful.

8 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Just rename them FFA Sydney. Reflect the reality... 

Sydney lost half their squad with players like Brillante, Brosque and De Jong etc....they have had some money to spend. I believe some players in their squad are eligible for this 5 year loyalty retaining payment (I think).

Next to that Sydney just get proper marquee players, I think we are just a little jealous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

If Rostyn Griffiths stays does that mean the squad is complete with no further signings to be made?

We can sign two more Australian players as it stands. If Rostyn leaves we can sign three but we’d still have the minimum 20 contracted players.

As always, the issue is with the Salary Cap. 

On 24/07/2019 at 4:38 PM, Harrison said:

We can sign two more Australian players as it stands. If Rostyn leaves we can sign three but we’d still have the minimum 20 contracted players.

As always, the issue is with the Salary Cap. 

Spots are there but don't need to be used. Spending big on the first team and packing the rest of the squad with up and coming youth has been proven to work in the a-league.

• jw1739 pinned this topic