Goalkeepers: Birighitti, Delianov

Defenders: Pierias, Atkinson, Schenkeveld, Delbridge, Good, Portelli, Jamieson

Midfielders: Baccus, Brattan, Visa CM, Visa CAM, Genreau, Metcalfe

Forwards: Wales, Maclaren, Najjarine, Visa LW, Visa RW

My assumptions are:

Released: Fornaroli, Vidosic, McGree, Harrison, De Laet, Berenguer

Sold: Bouzanis, Griffiths

Retire: Galekovic, La Rocca

It's hard to say what will happen to Galekovic and Griffiths. I think the three loan players will head back overseas. Of course, all might stay for another season but there will be some turnover.

If Berenguer has got contract he will stay. Brattan's contract ends and he will go away. Galekovic hasn't come to top fitness to be retired. McGree is one of the most talented, why would we release him. Still, he's not contracted. Bart will ask much more money and it's probably time for him to make a change. The rest is very average squad. 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Our 20-man squad next season could look something like this:

Goalkeepers: Birighitti, Delianov

Defenders: Pierias, Atkinson, Schenkeveld, Delbridge, Good, Portelli, Jamieson

Midfielders: Baccus, Brattan, Visa CM, Visa CAM, Genreau, Metcalfe

Forwards: Wales, Maclaren, Najjarine, Visa LW, Visa RW

My assumptions are:

Released: Fornaroli, Vidosic, McGree, Harrison, De Laet, Berenguer

Sold: Bouzanis, Griffiths

Retire: Galekovic, La Rocca

It's hard to say what will happen to Galekovic and Griffiths. I think the three loan players will head back overseas. Of course, all might stay for another season but there will be some turnover.

That team would not get anywhere unless those four visa players are top quality. Then I think you might have difficulty getting it under the cap unless Schenkeveld is a marquee. I'd also try and keep De Laet. If it were me I'd swap McGree for Brattan.

Anyway, McGree's future depends on Club Brugge, where his contract runs until 30th June 2021. De Laet's contract at Villa finishes on 30th June 2019, as does Brattan's at Manchester City.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That team would not get anywhere unless those four visa players are top quality.

Well that's how the A-League works.

The foreign players have to be top quality. There's no way around it. 

Perth, Victory and Sydney all have quality foreign players with one stand-out in the midfield or up front (Castro, Ninkovic and Toivonen).

If we kept Shenkeveld (under the cap could be tricky but doable) then I'd load up on midfielders and forwards with the remaining visa places. 

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

If Berenguer has got contract he will stay. Brattan's contract ends and he will go away. Galekovic hasn't come to top fitness to be retired. McGree is one of the most talented, why would we release him. Still, he's not contracted. Bart will ask much more money and it's probably time for him to make a change. The rest is very average squad. 

Because he's on loan and we have no choice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Unless we negotiated an extension to the loan. I would be working, within reason, to keep a talented young player. 

We'd get literally zero return on investment though which seems to be what the club is about.

If we don't own him we can't make a profit. He's not exactly winning us games off his own magic either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

We'd get literally zero return on investment though which seems to be what the club is about.

If we don't own him we can't make a profit. He's not exactly winning us games off his own magic either. 

It's a good point - and with two years to run on his contract at the end of the season, he's likely to command a fee if we wanted to sign him rather than loan him.  Like everything, it will be a cost-benefit calculation.  I think he's got talent, and I hope we can help him develop it (yet another who has been played out of his natural position this season, so difficult for his natural ability to shine I suspect). It's always going to be a case of what we can get for the money, and to some extent a 'stick or twist' calculation.

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It's a good point - and with two years to run on his contract at the end of the season, he's likely to command a fee if we wanted to sign him rather than loan him.  Like everything, it will be a cost-benefit calculation.  I think he's got talent, and I hope we can help him develop it (yet another who has been played out of his natural position this season, so difficult for his natural ability to shine I suspect). It's always going to be a case of what we can get for the money, and to some extent a 'stick or twist' calculation.

IIRC the only players we've "sold" since we have been City are Mooy and Arzani, both going to Manchester City. And if the reports are correct, we didn't receive that much for either.

My take on it is that CFG hope we can develop someone so that they can go into Manchester City's Shop Window, not our own.

45 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

It's a tricky one with McGree. I do think he has played with an injury for most part of the season, which has affected him. So we really haven't been able to see the best of him or get a proper gauge on how good he can be.

22 minutes ago, rass said:

It's a tricky one with McGree. I do think he has played with an injury for most part of the season, which has affected him. So we really haven't been able to see the best of him or get a proper gauge on how good he can be.

Someone said this above, as did David Davutovic earlier in the week, McGree has been played out of position for most of the season.

He’s been used up front, out wide and as a CAM but he is more of a box to box midfielder. 

He’s done a decent job but you can tell he’s not quite sure of himself either. 

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Someone said this above, as did David Davutovic earlier in the week, McGree has been played out of position for most of the season.

He’s been used up front, out wide and as a CAM but he is more of a box to box midfielder. 

trying to mold a player at senior level into something his not is not on. If they want to experiment with him throw him in the yoof league.

As you said his not sure of himself and it shows. You would think a coach whos spose to be highly regarded with yoof would know this

Seems to me there's a serious disconnect between recruitment and what the manager actually wants to get the best out of the squad.

Something is still not right in the way the club is managed.

Again it come back to just what exactly is the intent of the owners of Melbourne City?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC the only players we've "sold" since we have been City are Mooy and Arzani, both going to Manchester City. And if the reports are correct, we didn't receive that much for either.

My take on it is that CFG hope we can develop someone so that they can go into Manchester City's Shop Window, not our own.

I tend to think you are probably looking at that through book figures rather than how the group actually views it internally. The fact that CFG are probably more likely to command a higher fee by selling Manchester player rather than a Melbourne one is one reason to 'sell' the player internally, particularly if they can get a year or two in Euorpe and prove themselves somewhat first, as well as the obvious salary cap factors.

Im sure CFG know that Mooy and Arzani and anything they make out of them are Melbourne returns on investment, no matter where the profit lies in the books. The books are a by product of what is most useful and effective to the group at that point in time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

Frenchy is a AM played out wide, McGree is a box to box and played up front, De Laet is a right back played as a striker :huh:

And someone remind how Joyce is so highly rated .............

50 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Frenchy is a AM played out wide, McGree is a box to box and played up front, De Laet is a right back played as a striker :huh:

And someone remind how Joyce is so highly rated .............

You forgot Atkinson is a AM playing at RB and wide, Goods at DM, Wales at ST, Bratten RW, Dario wide, Delbo at RB and LB......at one time or another he has played just about everyone out of possy. Oh yeah and Larocca at DM.

• Confused 1

What really shits me is how the players talk about how ambitious this club is. What evidence is there that this is true? We have the resources and capacity to achieve great thing. Why are we so continually poor on making productive choices that serve us well? 

I reckon we have a sense of entlitlement and an arrogance that comes from being backed by CFG. Even the players are convinced by the prospect because they know what the potential of being backed by CFG means. Then they inevitably end up severely underwhelmed by the reality of the situation, just like the fans.

Fuck Joyce. Where is CFGs balls. His appointment has been a failure. We have been poor and even by some miralce we move up the ladder we are undeserving of success this year.

• Like 4