Melbourne Football

Welcome Ritchie de Laet

jw1739

1 hour ago, rass said:

A marauding full back who has already scored in only his first game, who can actually defend as well...

Nah, he's the Real DeaL. 

Budzinski scored on debut also in a derby. 

It kind of doesn't feel right to have both Marquees playing at a high standard week in week out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Impressive athlete, poor technician. A decent player but not marquee quality.

Its laughable to think that Joyce thought he was good enough for Man U.

He was poor last night, but we also don't know what kind of week he had with what happened at Leicester. Let's see how he goes next week before putting a line through him, cause round 1 he looked every bit marquee quality 

• Like 2

Why the fuck did he not clear the ball before the 3rd goal. All started from his appauling pass 30 seconds before. Saw so many dud passes from him yesterday it shocked me after the impressive Derby performance. 

Wtf is going on at CFG. Morale low. Game 3. The more shit changes the more it stays the same.

8 minutes ago, neio said:

He was poor last night, but we also don't know what kind of week he had with what happened at Leicester. Let's see how he goes next week before putting a line through him, cause round 1 he looked every bit marquee quality 

That's a fair point regarding Leicester.

However, I wasn't that impressed with him against Victory. Victory played a narrow 442 diamond so he didn't have a direct opponent out wide for the entire game. And even with all of that time and space his touch was heavy, his crossing wayward and he couldn't properly weight a pass.

I mean this in the best possible way. When a player drops down a standard (England to Australia) they sometimes think they are better than they are. They try to show more flare, try to make outrageous passes, try to dribble past too many players and try the nut meg too many times.

After the adulation he got in his first couple of games, I think, he has gone down this road. He needs to go back to doing the simple thing, continue to make runs down the wing, cross the ball earlier and clear his lines when in and around the box. He is undoubtedly a good player but, he has to make sure, he does not become too big headed on the park.

1 hour ago, Originalmeme said:

Yeah when he tried to nutmeg ninkovic, when it clearly wasnt on, you have to wonder, thats pretty fooking arrogant.  All his crosses were shite, he made a good run or two and some nice first touches.  But not enough of the simple stuff and got burned by zullo and ninko to much.

In addition there was the "successful" nutmeg that was collected by a SYD player on the other side, which was always going to be the likely outcome based on the tight space in which he attempted it in.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Just watched the WJ presser from last night. RDL was ruled out for 3-6 weeks last week but managed to get up to play. He wouldn't say what the injury was but not good news at a busy time. I reckon we'll see some rotation with Atkinson this month.

Didn't seem to stop him giving piggy-back rides.

4 hours ago, haz said:

Sore jaw from saying "yes" to Joyce's tactics and instructions too much

I heard that he questioned Joyce's tactics.

He later apologised to Joyce in front of the whole playing group and was miraculously cured.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 7:54 PM, malloy said:

I heard that he questioned Joyce's tactics.

He later apologised to Joyce in front of the whole playing group and was miraculously cured.

its amazing you know.  All i hear is how good honda is and that he has been keeping players behind to give them 'extra' help. Kevin Muscat, the wank that he is has endorsed this approach.  Whilst our coach wont take suggestions from players that have played at higher levels that he has coached.  Nor did we ever hear cahill being respected in the same light during his time, and bothering to give the younger players extra advice. what a mess

5 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

Nor did we ever hear cahill being respected in the same light during his time, and bothering to give the younger players extra advice. what a mess

I think Azarni said multiple that Timmy was helping the younger players out and Timmy said it multiple times too from memory.

Hence why Timmy got sacked and Azarni left.

:clap:

:tooth:

:droy:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think Azarni said multiple that Timmy was helping the younger players out and Timmy said it multiple times too from memory.

And don't I recall earlier in the season Joyce saying that Arzani "needed to listen to the right people..." or words to that effect?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

:clap:

:tooth:

:droy:

But also if you take that line Cahill was also a main driver for Arzani to leave when he did and not see out another season here.

It's all spin and depends which angle you want to take.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But also if you take that line Cahill was also a main driver for Arzani to leave when he did and not see out another season here.

I’ve heard nothing but negative things about Cahill and his time at City.

I loved him as a player for Australia but as a person and clubman...not so much. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’ve heard nothing but negative things about Cahill and his time at City.

I loved him as a player for Australia but as a person and clubman...not so much. 

Purely hypothetical, but at City it was the first time Cahill was treated as a genuine superstar. He's gone down on folklore at Everton for his heading ability, but was never a Premier League player people would pay hard earned pounds to watch for him alone. NYRB he was a good player but far behind Thierry Henry in that pecking order.

Maybe it all got to his head here and he was more focused on hi Socceroos career and self-image thatn he was about City.

13 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Purely hypothetical, but at City it was the first time Cahill was treated as a genuine superstar. He's gone down on folklore at Everton for his heading ability, but was never a Premier League player people would pay hard earned pounds to watch for him alone. NYRB he was a good player but far behind Thierry Henry in that pecking order.

Maybe it all got to his head here and he was more focused on hi Socceroos career and self-image thatn he was about City.

He was the wrong move for City. It was Gallop at FFA who wanted to bring him in as a boost to a flagging League, and City were the only club prepared to pay part of (in fact the bulk of) what he demanded to kiss and make up with Gallop and come back home. He last just 18 months into a three-season contract.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Just a tongue in cheek comment.

I think Timmy meant well and wanted to impart his wisdom on the kids and so he should in the twilight of his career.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He was the wrong move for City. It was Gallop at FFA who wanted to bring him in as a boost to a flagging League, and City were the only club prepared to pay part of (in fact the bulk of) what he demanded to kiss and make up with Gallop and come back home. He last just 18 months into a three-season contract.

A contrary view. 

Cahill won us the cup. If Joyce had had even the smallest amount of skill in managing conflict he would have sorted Cahill out AND kept him at the club. 

Then instead of watching corners and crosses sail harmlessly away we would have seen them in the back of the net and City in the grand final and in Asia.

• Like 4

Could tell he was cooked with their goal. When Barbarouses took off, he just knew he didn't have the legs to go with him and slowly made his way to the box instead.

No surprise to see him dragged, but can't wait to see him at full fitness.

Edited by rass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

We need a proper right-winger to take the load off De Laet as a wing-back. Seems to me we risk him breaking down completely if he's expected to carry his present workload on a permanent basis.

I think he'd be useful with O'Halloran - someone who'll hug the touchline open up a fair bit of the game with his speed and give RDL plenty of space to cut inside 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/de-laet-im-playing-for-a-contract-518329

He says he's open to playing here again next season but it doesn't sound likely. 

He's out of contract at Villa on 30th June 2019, so no issues there. But you'd be trying to fit him under the cap because IMO if we are going to keep Schenkeveld he'd have to be a marquee.

Bloody cap. We'd have some good players in the A-League if it was removed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's out of contract at Villa on 30th June 2019, so no issues there. But you'd be trying to fit him under the cap because IMO if we are going to keep Schenkeveld he'd have to be a marquee.

Bloody cap. We'd have some good players in the A-League if it was removed.

Hmmmm so the challenge then becomes trying to fit the three of RDL, Schenkeveld and Maclaren into two marquee slots.

Very interesting challenge....

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Hmmmm so the challenge then becomes trying to fit the three of RDL, Schenkeveld and Maclaren into two marquee slots.

Very interesting challenge....

Yes, indeed. One has to go under the cap as the rules stand at the moment. But that's not impossible if you structure your squad properly. The thing you have to avoid is having players on good wages who are not in the starting XI. For example, IMO you don't need a reserve goalkeeper on anything more than the minimum.