Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 15 - Melbourne v Perth [Away] 2nd Feb 9:45 pm

IssySG

Well that was a disaster and then to top it off Arslan gets sent off for what seems like ill discipline

I never thought I'd say this after the way he started the season, but when is Souprayen back. Him and Good were starting to form a solid partnership and since he has been injured it looks all over the shop at the back 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Arslan got a red card. 

He had a very poor patch in second half, turned everything over. This would have been pure frustration.

Whilst he is quality of course he does occasionally look a little too casual or perhaps even lazy on the ball. Then with the lack of that extra step or litte more effort in the final move/ball it results in a turnover.

Edited by Mr MO

Vidmar's negative attitude in bagging out the team after every game won't work in terms of getting them to improve  ... last night's loss was terrible but the players still put in a tough shift ... Perth is a hard place to play and get a result. Seems to me like he's losing the dressing room. 

Felt for Arslan as well. You could see the red mist descending, especially after the broken nose from that little Ronald McDonald scum bag

11 hours ago, moops said:

We sent everyone forward, even Good, it was either going to get us a goal or they would do that.

We kept ending up on the right side with both Mazzeo and Galloway not being able to put a decent ball, most got intercepted at the first man and Perth went off on the counter.

30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We kept ending up on the right side with both Mazzeo and Galloway not being able to put a decent ball, most got intercepted at the first man and Perth went off on the counter.

Tilio should be available next game, silver clouds.

I only watched the first half, we didn't play too badly, although, as usual, we wasted too many chances and conceded an unnecessary penalty. It's not surprising that we have the lowest shot conversion rate in the League, and this is what is hurting us. The year that we won the double, our conversion rate was the highest in the League.

On 3/2/2024 at 11:34 AM, Torn Asunder said:

Vidmar's negative attitude in bagging out the team after every game won't work in terms of getting them to improve  ... last night's loss was terrible but the players still put in a tough shift ... Perth is a hard place to play and get a result. Seems to me like he's losing the dressing room. 

I agree, it isn't helpful to publicly bag the team that you are coaching.

That's our job

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2024 at 11:34 AM, Torn Asunder said:

Felt for Arslan as well. You could see the red mist descending, especially after the broken nose from that little Ronald McDonald scum bag

That's a fair point too. But we can't have it both ways. One day we're saying we have a squad that's as good as anyone else in the league, and possibly better, and the next day we're saying that we're pathetic. What we need is consistency, not these "on-off" performances. So what does the coach do in this situation? Rado quit because he felt he couldn't get any more out of the squad, and is Vidmar overall doing any better? We're going to finish this round in 6th position, 8 points off the pace. The season is not irretrievable but...?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's a fair point too. But we can't have it both ways. One day we're saying we have a squad that's as good as anyone else in the league, and possibly better, and the next day we're saying that we're pathetic. What we need is consistency, not these "on-off" performances. So what does the coach do in this situation? Rado quit because he felt he couldn't get any more out of the squad, and is Vidmar overall doing any better? We're going to finish this round in 6th position, 8 points off the pace. The season is not irretrievable but...?

There's no doubt that the team's performance is far lower than the sum of its parts. Publicly bagging [players is not the way to improve it, though. Look at how Ange publicly responds to Spurs' bad games or players' poor performances as an example of how to motivate players.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

There's no doubt that the team's performance is far lower than the sum of its parts. Publicly bagging [players is not the way to improve it, though. Look at how Ange publicly responds to Spurs' bad games or players' poor performances as an example of how to motivate players.

Where is he personally bagging players then?

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Where is he personally bagging players then?

I don't think he is in fact naming individual players.

He's expressing his frustration with the team just as we are. He's basically saying that we don't play with the right attitude/pride/urgency/ bottle/determination/whatever as a team - and he said that right from when he was appointed. IIRC he named it as his first priority. Around 20 matches later and he's frustrated.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think he is in fact naming individual players.

He's expressing his frustration with the team just as we are. He's basically saying that we don't play with the right attitude/pride/urgency/ bottle/determination/whatever as a team - and he said that right from when he was appointed. IIRC he named it as his first priority. Around 20 matches later and he's frustrated.

But he is right.

48 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But he is right.

Yes, he's right. If the players feel attacked, then they become defensive. Once they are defensive, they aren't open to learning. We don't want them to try harder; we need them to try differently; to do this, they need to be open and curious and work together collectively.

The debate is whether the coach publicly bagging players/team is useful/helpful or not. When a coach publicly bags a team, it may make some supporters feel better but the supporters are not on the pitch. On the other hand, the players may not respond the way you would hope that they will. My thoughts are that coaches should avoid publicly bagging the team or individual players. Why not a hard and fast rule? because there have been instances where the bagging has worked. BUT the coaches that did it, knew how to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The debate is whether the coach publicly bagging players/team is useful/helpful or not. When a coach publicly bags a team, it may make some supporters feel better but the supporters are not on the pitch. On the other hand, the players may not respond the way you would hope that they will. My thoughts are that coaches should avoid publicly bagging the team or individual players. Why not a hard and fast rule? because there have been instances where the bagging has worked. BUT the coaches that did it, knew how to do it.

But he’s is not doing that, bagging that is. He’s just being honest about why we are losing these games and I rather have that.

But perhaps we like to hear “unlucky” or “good effort and try harder next week”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

But he’s is not doing that, bagging that is. He’s just being honest about why we are losing these games and I rather have that.

But perhaps we like to hear “unlucky” or “good effort and try harder next week”.

Re-watched the presser and you are right. He continually said "we". He also mentioned that what was on the training pitch was not shown on the playing pitch.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Re-watched the presser and you are right. He continually said "we". He also mentioned that what was on the training pitch was not shown on the playing pitch.

So the question remains "why?" It's not as if we have an inexperienced squad. According to Vidmar the players even had a meeting about it, at which he was not present.

Edited by jw1739

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So the question remains "why?" It's not as if we have an inexperienced squad. According to Vidmar the players even had a meeting about it, at which he was not present.

Because the core of our playing group is past their peak. Some players and even some of our fans live in the past. The league has moved on, they know how we play. One could argue that the league is also stronger and has more pace now than during our peak years.

Measuring yourself during training  against your own team mates doesn’t really tell you where you stand.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Because the core of our playing group is past their peak. Some players and even some of our fans live in the past. The league has moved on, they know how we play. One could argue that the league is also stronger and has more pace now then during pur peak years.

Possession-based football is hard; it's high risk, high reward. It requires teamwork, speed and endurance, a good understanding of when to team press and accurate passing and movement off the ball; all qualities our team lacks this year.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Has there been anything official from the club on the red card? I just saw them post Arslan's goal on their IG ...funny, given our star player is out for next week. I bet most supporters are unaware 

My guess is being a straight red we can't say a hell of alot until it goes through the discipline board. We probably just don't want to go off half cocked without all the info....like someone else in the league