Melbourne Football

ACL Matchday 3 | Buriram United VS Melbourne City | Wednesday 25 October 9PM AEST KO |

Zanty

Buriram managed by former Newcastle Jets coach, Arthur Papas, currently 4th in the Thai League with 4 wins and 3 draws.

Conditions are going to be tough with it looking like it will be humid and wet in Thailand.

Ideally we go for a win but a point will not be the worse result in the world.

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Buriram managed by former Newcastle Jets coach, Arthur Papas, currently 4th in the Thai League with 4 wins and 3 draws.

Conditions are going to be tough with it looking like it will be humid and wet in Thailand.

Buriram are arguably the best club in Thailand as they pretty much win the league every season. They will likely be better than Pathum PG that we faced last time in the ACL. I would like to see a lot of rotation with the squad as we need our strongest team available for the upcoming game against Adelaide. We can afford a draw away here, but would be a great result to come away with the 3 points...

3 hours ago, Zanty said:

Arthur Papas used to be the Heart youth team coach back in 2011-12. For a short trip down memory lane try https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/arthur-papas-nyl-assistant-coach-of-the-melbourne-nachrichtenfoto/124002417?language=it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Arthur Papas used to be the Heart youth team coach back in 2011-12. For a short trip down memory lane try https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/arthur-papas-nyl-assistant-coach-of-the-melbourne-nachrichtenfoto/124002417?language=it

I think he was "assistant" in name. If I recall correctly the Youth team's results tanked heavily after his mid season departure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think he was "assistant" in name. If I recall correctly the Youth team's results tanked heavily after his mid season departure.

Your recollection is spot on - they did. Never understood why we let him go - same with Joe Palatsidis.

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Our sister club Mumbai City got hammered 6-0 against Al-Hilal last night. They're on the bottom of their Group. Mitrovic got a Hattie. Looks increasingly like the winner is going to come from the East side of the draw with one of the big spending Saudi trams

East? Saudi is on the west side of teh Asian conference. Japan is on the east side.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I'd personally go a "B team" as a draw here will suffice. We need to get a result against Adelaide and I'd be keeping the best 11 for the weekend...

Disagree. Put your best team on the park every match. Professional footballers can handle a match every 3-4 days and the boys have been in training since July.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Disagree. Put your best team on the park every match. Professional footballers can handle a match every 3-4 days and the boys have been in training since July.

ACL is 6 group games, this is only the 3rd one. All well and good suggesting the players can back up every 3/4 days. Need to consider the travel and different playing conditions. Plus good opportunity to give the fringe/depth players a proper run. More concerned getting a good result against Adelaide then starting the season 0 from 2. 

I would like to see some significant time given to Galloway, Hall, Antonis, Caputo, and Natel. And if available a cameo from Lecks although don't know if he's travelled. In an ideal world you would also give Beach a go but if we drop this game we could fall to 3rd so probably best to put in the best team possible. A win or at the very least a draw is a must here as Ventforet is likely to win against Zhejiang

39 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

I would like to see some significant time given to Galloway, Hall, Antonis, Caputo, and Natel. 

Agree, I'd love to see some proper minutes from Antonis. Had some really good performances in the cup and in the pre season fixtures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

ACL is 6 group games, this is only the 3rd one. All well and good suggesting the players can back up every 3/4 days. Need to consider the travel and different playing conditions. Plus good opportunity to give the fringe/depth players a proper run. More concerned getting a good result against Adelaide then starting the season 0 from 2. 

Your argument is completely contradictory... The A-League is this season 27 matches.... 

From the team that played last Saturday, Galloway comes in for Aziz who may need a rest after Socceroos and the our game.

Souprayen in for Nuno, for the simple reason to give him a go to take the CB spot.

Antonis for Sakhi, as he deserves a start in midfield and to keep it fresh.

Natel for Lopane, basically to give him minutes and so we have 2 wingers on the pitch from the start.

Rest stays the same, still early in season and we have known our schedule for ages. We should have the petrol in the tank to navigate these busy match weeks.

• Like 1